Uthgard

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
They upgraded hardware last night. Almost 3.9k ingame now. No lag. Short queue

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
4k now, 50 in the queue. Very promising.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Leveled 1-39 as BM/Bard duo, grouped maybe 5% of that (ahead of the curve for the most part). Got bored, rerolled to Alb... Played there for a day and back to our BM/Bard, been making groups mostly this time myself and 46 atm =)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Advise against using ANYTHING shady, they're super strict with their rules.

"Dear players,

We just wanted to give you a small update on things:

Performance
We are continuously trying to improve our performance. We have been trying multiple approaches and are making progress towards allowing a higher player count cap. We do however understand the frustration of sitting in a long queue, and are doing our best to eliminate the long line. We would like to address three of the frequent questions we are asked:

1. Why don't you take donations?
- The problems we are facing are not entirely hardware issues; Many of the issues we have faced are with the code that was not designed to scale to such sizes. We have been using our time to find an eliminate these bottlenecks and have used our funds to scale to additional servers as our new features have allowed.

2. Why don't you open a second server and merge?
- A merge of multiple servers would be highly problematic. There are many technical hurdles to overcome in order to be able to merge servers at a later point. Given the complexity of this option, we feel that it is best to try to optimize and improve the existing server.

3. I reach the end of my queue but DAOC never loads! Why?
- We are aware that this happens in some cases. If you manage to get all the way through the queue and it does not launch, try open resource monitor (not task manager) on your computer and find uth.dll. Right click uth.dll then choose resume.

Mass ban
Today we have banned 70 accounts for using third party tools. These range from macros to twisting chants / songs, auto crafters, to radars and speed hacks. We want to remind everyone that we are very serious about our rules, and any rule violation will not be taken lightly. We have also banned numerous people for sticking items into their keyboard to avoid going link dead, this is also a rule violation, so we advice everyone to stop doing so.

- We would also like to remind our players that each HUMAN BEING is only allowed to own, and use ONE master account!

Camp claiming
In Dark Age of Camelot, no one can "claim" a camp. Anyone is free to move in and pull from the same spot you are sitting at. However, please be aware that it is not ok to engage with mobs that other players are already engaged with unless they request help. If realm mates arrive and wish to share a spot we hope that you will work to find a solution among yourselves that leads to success for all. If other players start harming monsters you have engaged, politely ask them to please stop. If the situation escalates to harassment, please contact a staff member. Remember, treat others as you would like them to treat you.

Behaving in public
Chat areas such as /broad, /yell, /say and /gu for starter guilds are considered public and you should maintain family friendly language and actions there. This means no profanity, innuendo, sexual comments, threats or name calling. Groups, chat groups, battle groups, guilds, alliances are considered generally private from other players and should be moderated by the leader(s) of the appropriate channels. If you do see someone being out of order, please /appeal and use /ignore to avoid seeing anything from this person.

Thank you for your time,

The Uthgard Staff"

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
4660 playing. No queue. No lag at EU primetime on a sunday. Quite amazing tbh

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
was about to quit last week had a long days at work and one day when i quitted semi early i had to wait for 4hours and 15minutes to get online, but with the server cap at 4.7k or 5k or whatever it is there is no que and you just can login.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
There is Terra Dominus on hib too btw, not sure if its the same folks

Yes they are ;) Mostly of course.

Personally, I've started an Alb realm switch because that's what I wanted to play in the beginning, so might pm a few of you starting next Saturday ;)

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
I wanted to play Hib, but the very few RL mates I'm playing with wanted Alb.
So I switched last weekend.
Funny, because while I mostly played Hib on excalibur, Albion was the first realm I played a lot, and where I had my first 50s. It felt weird yesterday to level on Tomb raiders and all kinds of brownies in Salisbury.
I'm playing an Arms now, who goes by the name Joske.

Stasi

Loyal Freddie
Yes they are ;) Mostly of course.

Personally, I've started an Alb realm switch because that's what I wanted to play in the beginning, so might pm a few of you starting next Saturday ;)

Great! Jokke, Nossy and me was albs from the getgo, we havent found any "home" jet but we should join up as many TD ppl as possible

Amuse

One of Freddy's beloved
Might roll a character here! Any good ? :D
Well theres a face i havent seen in a while. Rolled with AR for a few months on Ywain, aswell as in GW2 :p Did you end up starting on uth? enjoying it quite a bit

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Getting really fed up of random group invites. I am solo because I am not 100% at the keyboard and I also like to play at my own pace. When did it stop being polite to ask if someone is LFG instead of mashing invite over and over?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Getting really fed up of random group invites. I am solo because I am not 100% at the keyboard and I also like to play at my own pace. When did it stop being polite to ask if someone is LFG instead of mashing invite over and over?

I do this.

hahaha

Try being a Paladin, that's the WORST, they ALL go /anon.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I do this.

hahaha

Try being a Paladin, that's the WORST, they ALL go /anon.

I'm totally going to roll that auto-train Paladin and not say a word, then watch as people try to find words why they want to kick me once they find out I'm only specced crush+shield :D

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Started a dorf Skald which is now 32 - when it was about 29, I also started a dorf Healer... which is now 35.

No love for Skalds :(

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
People getting lvl 50, alot rolling alts and farming stuff, the RvR has yet to kick off fully!

NFD on Hib growing and having alot of active people now, 20+ online today! Join the fun :)

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Wow if mythic/ea whoever would have figure out this sooner, there is nothing wrong with daoc its just new frontiers and toa that made it shit.. this feels like a regular old server. Roaming emain is amazing its just how i remember it and all the great fights you had in places comes up in your tiny head. Sure the old ra:s have something that was improved upon but nah if thats the drawback, and afew missing quests, some random bugs.. its quite alot but it doesnt bother me the sightest.. Utgarde daoc is as good as it gets imo.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Well theres a face i havent seen in a while. Rolled with AR for a few months on Ywain, aswell as in GW2 :p Did you end up starting on uth? enjoying it quite a bit

Hey there mate! :) Long time no see!

Havent rolled anything yet, as I figured out the Queues were terrible? What realm are you playing at? Tempting to join Alb like my first adventure and hook up with GoL(Since thats where my DAoC career began when I was a Young bratty teenager! :D )

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Wow if mythic/ea whoever would have figure out this sooner, there is nothing wrong with daoc its just new frontiers and toa that made it shit.. this feels like a regular old server. Roaming emain is amazing its just how i remember it and all the great fights you had in places comes up in your tiny head. Sure the old ra:s have something that was improved upon but nah if thats the drawback, and afew missing quests, some random bugs.. its quite alot but it doesnt bother me the sightest.. Utgarde daoc is as good as it gets imo.

Hm I don't agree with all of that. What we have here is - to a large percentage - a bunch of nostalgic people who love to come back. That is no guarantee that the server will stay that active. I also don't think that the idea behind ToA had a negative impact on DAoC, it was the poor system at the start. DAoC is about realms sticking together to get something, but ToA brought a lot of inner realm grief play. When Cata or DR came out, it was much better. LotM was a bit poor again.

What Mythic also did increasingly well was to start balancing classes and making more specs viable. In 1.65, try playing a mana mentalist, a void eld, a supp runemaster, an earth wizard, etc. The way DAoC took wasn't bad, but new games came out and that's hard. Now DAoC has shifted to another extreme, which will sooner or later kill it: it's too easy. Leveling on Uthgard is rather hard and takes dedication. Leveling on live takes a few hours including equipment and then you're ready to go. The problem is that if nothing is hard, then nothing is an achievement and you don't stick to your character. I once read an interview with some MUD guru and he said that the best MMOs are the ones where death is permanent, because you get attached to your character.

Basically I think that a lot of the changes that came to DAoC were great, but Mythic failed to keep people interested by not changing content fast enough. Shrouded Isles was cool, but it doubled the world's size and spread the population over two 1-50 areas. The new raids were nice, but the raid system was heavily outdated and prone to griefing. WoW was much further at that time. Animists could crash servers for way too long and savage nerf took too long as well. It went on with other addons. The content had cool ideas, but the technique was like 90s. I mean seriously, clickable texts as quests in an MMO? Mythic had WAR at the same time and they could've copied a lot there.

Then there was not also the issue of bad specs, but also the issue of cookie-cutters. Let's ask ourselves for once second why buff classes exist? Their sole reason to exist it to get stats to a max and because team A has them, team B needs them as well. My point is, stat caps are bollocks and so are the buffs in DAoC. If buffing was some short duration active thing, then support classes would've been a lot more versatile. If Druids/Clerics/Shammys weren't purely specbuff whores, people might even play them differently. The idea with smiting heals for instance was rather cool, if you ask me. Same goes for speed. Bards, minstrels and skalds are speed bots, bards can be glad they get CC. Now they got everyone the same speed, which was a good change. But what if mentalism mentas, minstrels and ... well some mid class ... got a huge ae mezz to become primary mezzer? In my opinion that would make groups much less boring and more versatile.

Well now that turned from a short answer into ... something =)

Stasi

Loyal Freddie
Hm I don't agree with all of that. What we have here is - to a large percentage - a bunch of nostalgic people who love to come back. That is no guarantee that the server will stay that active. I also don't think that the idea behind ToA had a negative impact on DAoC, it was the poor system at the start. DAoC is about realms sticking together to get something, but ToA brought a lot of inner realm grief play. When Cata or DR came out, it was much better. LotM was a bit poor again.

What Mythic also did increasingly well was to start balancing classes and making more specs viable. In 1.65, try playing a mana mentalist, a void eld, a supp runemaster, an earth wizard, etc. The way DAoC took wasn't bad, but new games came out and that's hard. Now DAoC has shifted to another extreme, which will sooner or later kill it: it's too easy. Leveling on Uthgard is rather hard and takes dedication. Leveling on live takes a few hours including equipment and then you're ready to go. The problem is that if nothing is hard, then nothing is an achievement and you don't stick to your character. I once read an interview with some MUD guru and he said that the best MMOs are the ones where death is permanent, because you get attached to your character.

Basically I think that a lot of the changes that came to DAoC were great, but Mythic failed to keep people interested by not changing content fast enough. Shrouded Isles was cool, but it doubled the world's size and spread the population over two 1-50 areas. The new raids were nice, but the raid system was heavily outdated and prone to griefing. WoW was much further at that time. Animists could crash servers for way too long and savage nerf took too long as well. It went on with other addons. The content had cool ideas, but the technique was like 90s. I mean seriously, clickable texts as quests in an MMO? Mythic had WAR at the same time and they could've copied a lot there.

Then there was not also the issue of bad specs, but also the issue of cookie-cutters. Let's ask ourselves for once second why buff classes exist? Their sole reason to exist it to get stats to a max and because team A has them, team B needs them as well. My point is, stat caps are bollocks and so are the buffs in DAoC. If buffing was some short duration active thing, then support classes would've been a lot more versatile. If Druids/Clerics/Shammys weren't purely specbuff whores, people might even play them differently. The idea with smiting heals for instance was rather cool, if you ask me. Same goes for speed. Bards, minstrels and skalds are speed bots, bards can be glad they get CC. Now they got everyone the same speed, which was a good change. But what if mentalism mentas, minstrels and ... well some mid class ... got a huge ae mezz to become primary mezzer? In my opinion that would make groups much less boring and more versatile.

Well now that turned from a short answer into ... something =)

I agree on exping a char to max should be an achivement since that make you stick to it. what i dont get is why all these classes have autotraining (most stupid is paladin and minstrel in alb) that take away your whole class utility until your 48 or what ever you stop at. But this is better than live imo for a returning player. this way we can join the fun and be part of the run to rr5-rr10 with out be ganked by rr12 from the getgo. Gotta say first impression when i logged into beta was that i had forgot how slow it was to move with out speed. Why i want to be a Minstrel :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It was always like that, I have no idea what the reasoning behind it was though.

Edit, there are also several RR5 groups already, I have heard. Mids are pretty rampant seeing as everyone flocked to the easy realm. I am not sure it can recover properly but personally I am not that bothered, will be happy to get 50 then probably bin it.

Little Boy

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey!!
Wow it's been a while since I've been on here -.-!!

I started up on Uthgard yesterday but up for seeing a few old names from the old eu servers :D. Where is everyone at?

Vrikalokas (Chanter)

Gwadien

Hey!!
Wow it's been a while since I've been on here -.-!!

I started up on Uthgard yesterday but up for seeing a few old names from the old eu servers :D. Where is everyone at?

Vrikalokas (Chanter)

Jim?

Jesus christ.

Gwadien

Certainly is mate :D! Need to change my name on here lol not so little anymore.
What a memory you have!

How you been?

Pretty good man, started teaching!

Hows the little one?

You still a pompy chav? ;)

Little Boy

One of Freddy's beloved
Pretty good man, started teaching!

Hows the little one?

You still a pompy chav? ;)
Nice one in what?
I got 2 little ones now :D 2 girls..... got married, had it all going on!
Haha shut up, civilised citizen I think you'll find....

You still playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom