Useless Fact of The Day!

Flesh

Banned
FAGS- Was derived from the message written on packets of cigarettes sent to soliders in the second world war. "For a good soldier".

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Three years after Thomas Edison invented the electric light bulb in 1879, Edward H. Johnson, who worked for Edison's company, had Christmas tree bulbs especially made for him. He proudly displayed his electric tree lights at his home on Fifth Avenue, New York City. They caused a sensation although some years were to pass before mass-manufactured Christmas tree lights were widely available.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
'chatting' came from the practise of soldiers de-lousing each other (removing nits) in the first world war. They called a nit a chat.

It has been argued that FUCK was an acronym for Fornicate Under (the) Command (of the) King. There was another one about something written upon rapists doors in prisons. Dunno what the acronym was for that.

Also general had a thread about ducks quacks echo-ing and someone prooved it wrong by giving a link to a wav of a duck quacking.

Also trivia is the plural but trivium in the singular. It's named after a crossroads in ancient rome where wives would meet and swap gossip. So trivia is actually gossip and not random (interesting) facts. :D

Cyradix

FH is my second home
The Romans continued to observe the new year in late March, but their calendar was continually tampered with by various emperors so that the calendar soon became out of synchronization with the sun.

In order to set the calendar right, the Roman senate, in 153 BC, declared January 1 to be the beginning of the new year. But tampering continued until Julius Caesar, in 46 BC, established what has come to be known as the Julian Calendar. It again established January 1 as the new year. But in order to synchronize the calendar with the sun, Caesar had to let the previous year drag on for 445 days.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
It is estimated that at any one time, 0.7% of the world's population are drunk.

Ele

Fledgling Freddie
Cyradix said:
It is estimated that at any one time, 0.7% of the world's population are drunk.

0.5% of those are believed to be Dark Age players who play/played the realm of Albion :)

Egor

Fledgling Freddie
Ele said:
Crane Flies (Daddy Long Legs) carry the most poisonous and fast acting venom known - but in a cruel (as only God can be) twist of fate, they have no teeth with which to inject it. Therefore they keep getting their legs ripped off by small, sadistic children...

That ain't quite true...in fact, it isn't even remotely true. :p

Ele

Fledgling Freddie
Egor said:
That ain't quite true...in fact, it isn't even remotely true. :p

Points to the title of the thread 'Useless facts',

might actually be useful info if it were true, all those people milking the insects for their venom, poisoning the tips of drawing pins then firing them with catapults at the people they dislike :eek:

The fact is I dragged it from some non-descript website which didn't give a source where the information was taken, so I cannot back this 'fact' up...however, as far as i'm concerned it served its purpose ;)

Speeedy

Fledgling Freddie
have more :eek7:

When possums are playing 'possum, they are not "playing." They actually pass out from sheer terror.

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself. :puke:

Cyradix

FH is my second home
In Iowa, it is illegal for a kiss to last more than 5 minutes....

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
In an american state (can't remember which one but probably texas) it is illegal to walk down the street with an ice cream in your pocket.

In Chester it used to be -legal- to shoot a welshman from the walls with a crossbow after the hour of midnight, unfortunately the law was repealed a few years ago.

The energy required to propel an object at light speed is equal to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
I´n austria there is a city called f*** And there is a city called "Blow me down" in australia.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Frankfort, Kentucky, makes it against the law to shoot off a policeman's tie.

guess its ok to shoot the rest of him

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
no luck for the Welch

In Clawson, Mich., there is a law that makes it LEGAL for a farmer to sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
There is enough calcium in a kiss to make a bone about this long:
|----------------------|

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Cyradix said:
There is enough calcium in a kiss to make a bone about this long:
|----------------------|

I challenge the truth in that. Prove it.

Ele

Fledgling Freddie
Serbitar said:
In Chester it used to be -legal- to shoot a welshman from the walls with a crossbow after the hour of midnight, unfortunately the law was repealed a few years ago.

Bleh ...was just on my way to Chester 'til I read the last part, there's a couple of people who fit that description on the forums for whom that law would come in useful ;)

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I checked to see whether the law was still in service when i was going there with a bundle of m8s for a night out... one lad is a tw*t and welsh... had to check, i know ppl with crossbows :)

Ele

Fledgling Freddie
Serbitar said:
Yeah I checked to see whether the law was still in service when i was going there with a bundle of m8s for a night out... one lad is a tw*t and welsh... had to check, i know ppl with crossbows :)

A good 'cull' doesn't hurt once in a while :flame:

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
Loxleyhood said:
I challenge the truth in that. Prove it.

He said that long, not how thick... technically it could be a 1mm thick bone that is that long. I would imagine that this would be feasible

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Serbitar said:
He said that long, not how thick... technically it could be a 1mm thick bone that is that long. I would imagine that this would be feasible

I think he talkin about the bone in his pants ;-)

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
An Elephants Penis is on average 3 feet long.

/world smallest penis 1 inch erect

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Serbitar said:
The energy required to propel an object at light speed is equal to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.

Duhh E=MC^2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom