United States Corrupt Twattery

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
There was plenty of sanity in it..in fact it was one of the sanest speeches out there.
Its a media driven pandemic, the ordinary flu kills far more people, it just doesnt have a sexy name.

Im waiting for the inevitable, once this fact slowly trickles into our awareness we will be forced to take the same draconian actions as with corona every year.
Its not what it is, its how the media tells us to feel about it.
Incoming will be fucking auto sanitise this and that, virus killing phone screens, wipes next to public touchscreens, sneezing will be akin to pulling a gun out.
People crying on tv cos grandma died of the ordinary flu.
Compulsary flu jabs, everything will become hands free.

The wife says everyone in the gym is spraying the equipment before they start...germs everywhere!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, @Job - science shows that Coronavirus is not like the flu.

Science. Not how you feel.

On death rate alone flu kills 0.1% of people - Covid-19 kills 3.5% - thirty-five times more deadly - and it could potentially spread like flu, and potentially permanently circulate.

That would mean that in just three years this coronavirus could potentially kill more people than the flu does in over a century.

That's not media-driven. That's fact.

Job

Ordinary flu kills around 650, 000 people each year.

Job

No, @Job - science shows that Coronavirus is not like the flu.

Science. Not how you feel.

On death rate alone flu kills 0.1% of people - Covid-19 kills 3.5% - thirty-five times more deadly - and it could potentially spread like flu, and potentially permanently circulate.

That would mean that in just three years this coronavirus could potentially kill more people than the flu does in over a century.

That's not media-driven. That's fact.
That mortality rate is totally skewed by lack of infection figures, that guy is talking through his ass.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ordinary flu kills around 650, 000 people each year.
Exactly. Do the fucking maths.

If the same number of people get infected with COVID-19 as get the seasonal flu every year, you're looking at 6.5+m deaths. There's no "flu shot", no treatment, no vaccine and there won't be for at least 18 months.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That mortality rate is totally skewed by lack of infection figures, that guy is talking through his ass.
Plumber tells scientists they're wrong shocker.

No. The mortality rate is based on confirmed infections - so you can like-for-like it easily.

If you knew the first thing about maths or stats you'd understand that, but you don't.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meanwhile, in the real world. Our French arm have all been told to work from home for a month. Same is happening in Greece and Malta. We're beginning to see degraded service on our video telephony infrastructure.

Czech Republic and Slovakia have closed their borders apparently. Got some people stuck there. Having fun with my Polish colleagues too.

Hey ho. I'm gonna take a shit ;)

Job

Plumber tells scientists they're wrong shocker.

No. The mortality rate is based on confirmed infections - so you can like-for-like it easily.

If you knew the first thing about maths or stats you'd understand that, but you don't.
Well he is wrong to quote mortality rates with totally incomplete data..and you know that.

You can only quote percentage rates after its passed

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oooh. All our UK staff now told to WFH.

Which I do anyway :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well he is wrong to quote mortality rates with totally incomplete data..and you know that.

You can only quote percentage rates after its passed

The doctors and scientists can infer a “settle down” rate based on Chinese (high volume) and South Korean (high testing) data, and there’s an emerging consensus that it will be about 1% mortality (so ten times higher than flu), but, unlike flu, the raw numbers of people likely to be infected is WAY higher because there’s no vaccine and the virus also seems be be more persistent than flu out of body (48 hours on hard surfaces, about twice as long as the flu).

They’re not just pulling the data out of their arse; like any science, improved data improves confidence levels but they actually have a LOT of data points already.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Official UK policy: Go get it - but stay away from granny for a bit.

Eminently sensible I think. :)

Although the Tories are showing their colours by failing to ban external visitation to old people's homes. (Kinda solves a problem for them really eh?)

I’ve got to be honest...this feels like the right way to go. If a vaccine was only a couple of months away I’d feel differently, but I have a feeling here in Ireland we’ll have a lockdown, the rate will start to drop, everything will go back to normal and...bam, rate goes up again.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yeah, my paramedic mate said the predictions in NHS circles are about 500,000 UK deaths.

But everyone stay at work/school, capitalism>health!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
We are rotating shifts at work for those who want to and do not take public transport. For those who can only take PT then it is WFH regardless. I have 4 crisis meetings a day which will calm down next week once people get used to their new reality.

@Gwadien In Sweden they are not closing all schools and it is logical. To do that will put the health service at risk as medical teams need to look after their kids rather than those that actually need them. Additionally in the schools here they have put in good handwashing and sanitation rules which are probably more reliable than the kids being off and meeting each other out and about.

Our office is deep cleaning the office with anti virals twice daily at the moment, if I had another option I would be there as I believe it is probably more clinical than my own home (expecially as my husband has been travelling this week outside of stockholm to a business in a different city with many employees rather than the spacious office he normally goes to where there is at most 5 people working there.

Job

Chief NHS health adviser is saying let everyone get it and we will obtain herd immunity for when it comes around again.

If he's correct then Italy etc have totally done the wrong thing.

I honestly think we're doing it right, herd immunity is highly effective.

Gwadien

@Gwadien In Sweden they are not closing all schools and it is logical. To do that will put the health service at risk as medical teams need to look after their kids rather than those that actually need them. Additionally in the schools here they have put in good handwashing and sanitation rules which are probably more reliable than the kids being off and meeting each other out and about.

According to paramedic mate, the handwashing and sanitation shit is largely pointless as the virus is airborne and you can have it by simply breathing in air.

Also for kids being off and meeting each other, kids don't meet anymore as much as they used to, they mostly stay at home and play games/refreshing instagram.

I'm far more cynical than you, I don't think UKGov is hesitating because it's worried about the effect it will have on our emergency services, but the effect it will have on the economy as a whole.

I've literally just had the round-robin email from the Government to all schools/early years saying that even if there is a confirmed case at your school, the school must not be shut down unless Public Health gives you the green light.

I'm not bothered, and please don't label me as a lazy teacher etc, but I am genuinely more worried about the virus being passed around 1000 kids and then passed onto 2000 parents and so on, it's the perfect staging ground for any disease/virus.

There definitely is a scared feeling in schools though, especially amongst older staff, whilst all their mates are being told to work from home, they're being told to work with up to 150 dirty kids daily. :(

Yoni

According to paramedic mate, the handwashing and sanitation shit is largely pointless as the virus is airborne and you can have it by simply breathing in air.

Also for kids being off and meeting each other, kids don't meet anymore as much as they used to, they mostly stay at home and play games/refreshing instagram.

I'm far more cynical than you, I don't think UKGov is hesitating because it's worried about the effect it will have on our emergency services, but the effect it will have on the economy as a whole.

I've literally just had the round-robin email from the Government to all schools/early years saying that even if there is a confirmed case at your school, the school must not be shut down unless Public Health gives you the green light.

I'm not bothered, and please don't label me as a lazy teacher etc, but I am genuinely more worried about the virus being passed around 1000 kids and then passed onto 2000 parents and so on, it's the perfect staging ground for any disease.

Where are you getting your information. My husbands aunt is the head of one of he health service regions in Sweden and that is not true. Handwashing and sanitation is absolutely the key. The droplets are heavy so that is why there is a request for social distancing and that is why you need to sneeze in your elbow or tissue and use soap and water or hand sanitation.

As for kids not wanting to see each other, if they are not at school they will get little social interaction and they will meet (humans are humans).

Gwadien

Where are you getting your information. My husbands aunt is the head of one of he health service regions in Sweden and that is not true. Handwashing and sanitation is absolutely the key. The droplets are heavy so that is why there is a request for social distancing and that is why you need to sneeze in your elbow or tissue and use soap and water or hand sanitation.

As for kids not wanting to see each other, if they are not at school they will get little social interaction and they will meet (humans are humans).

Paramedic mate, as I say.

I'm just repeating what he said, but essentially if you have a bunch of people in a GPs waiting room with poor ventilation then most people would catch it even if the person who had it was breathing and didn't spread heavy human stuff everywhere.

What's probably more concerning is that he was saying that 5 out of 50 ambulances in his area were in deep clean for a week or so.

Yoni

As I said social distancing - why would you put GPs in a small room together - company’s have been reducing meeting sizes to 3 for a while now oO

Gwadien

As I said social distancing - why would you put GPs in a small room together - company’s have been reducing meeting sizes to 3 for a while now oO

I meant patients in the waiting room! :)

Yoni

That is why they are asking you NOT to go to the GP but to call the helpline after 7 days self isolation

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I asked quite specifically 'if you get it, can you get it again' - the answer is they're not sure as apparently there have been some cases like that :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I asked quite specifically 'if you get it, can you get it again' - the answer is they're not sure as apparently there have been some cases like that :(

Yes but they believe those have not been tested properly or contaminated tests.

The likely outcome is that your immune system will know how to fight it unless it mutates. So reinfection is unlikely

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom