United States Corrupt Twattery

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
My theory is that someone wanted to cause some outrage amongst the racists, so they made an article called 'omg if you search White Inventors, these are the results!' and stuck an image of a black inventor on it.

Then it gets clicks on 4chan/reddit until other people start making articles about it.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Out of context excerpts again with their interpretation of what they mean. My interpretation of the Trump situation comment is that she’s talking about the misinformation and algorithmic manipulation that went on in the 2016 election cycle. Like what’s in the mueller report.

Outlets like RT almost always managed to get their spin to the top of search results even though they had very little to do with journalism. I’d imagine she’s stating that they want their results to be based on something other than who’s got the best bots.

You can see that sort of thing to this day on a variety of subjects but sure, believe this known bollocks merchant site and an off-guard quote.
Off guard would be a couple sentences not 10 mins of talking on the subject. It's not an isolated quote and if you watched the entire thing with all her comments you would know that already.

Some shit site doing bias reporting doesn't worry me, Google does. Guess if it matches your desired outcome you would not care. Rose tinted glasses... :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Ok..its very interesting.
If you type in.
Why do you get black inventors when you search for white inventors.

You get a list of black inventor articles.
Swap the black /white around, you get the same list.
I can only conclude the algorithm is biased towards the concept of black being a minority and vastly boosting its relevence.
Is that a problem?
Well I dont suppose for a second its limited to that one search and tbh google search is utterly fucked, the image search is a joke anyway, I remember when it was pretty good, now all you get is watermarked stock, PC approved results.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Off guard would be a couple sentences not 10 mins of talking on the subject. It's not an isolated quote and if you watched the entire thing with all her comments you would know that already.

Some shit site doing bias reporting doesn't worry me, Google does. Guess if it matches your desired outcome you would not care. Rose tinted glasses... :)
I watched the full video that was posted, which wasn’t raw and unedited, and my understanding is that she’s still talking about fighting deliberate misinformation campaigns.

Of course if Trumpistas think he needs those to win then sure, get angry.

I thought the right wasn’t big on corporate regulation or something anyway.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I watched the full video that was posted, which wasn’t raw and unedited, and my understanding is that she’s still talking about fighting deliberate misinformation campaigns.

Of course if Trumpistas think he needs those to win then sure, get angry.

I thought the right wasn’t big on corporate regulation or something anyway.

Nice try, I cant stand Trump he's an idiot and I'm more a centrist anyway. The worry for me is not US politics at all. Its Googles atitude and having watched the Vid several times I think your brushing it off as carefully edited disimformation is staggering. I pretty much ignored and skipped the shadowed figure with voice box and just concentrated on her words. She even went to twitter last night and is not denying it, stating that it was a casual chat in a restuarant and that she may have used "imprecise language". Sure you already know this as it was on Twatter.

A corporation with Google's/Facebook's power trying to sway politics is scarey, especially given their government given protected status. The US System is already corrupt and needs sorting out. Loobying should be illegal for a start. Personally I would be much happier if the US had an impartial overwatch system (OFCOM on seroids with power and was impartial or crossed the political devide) to stop any kind of political meddling. This current trend of deplatforming and demoitizing anyone you dont agree with is a dangerous path imho.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
A corporation with Google's/Facebook's power trying to sway politics is scarey, especially given their government given protected status. The US System is already corrupt and needs sorting out. Loobying should be illegal for a start. Personally I would be much happier if the US had an impartial overwatch system (OFCOM on seroids with power and was impartial or crossed the political devide) to stop any kind of political meddling. This current trend of deplatforming and demoitizing anyone you dont agree with is a dangerous path imho.

I'll repeat. I don't think that's what she was advocating. Where did she say "We need to make our algorithms favour the left!" She didn't. She's talking about misinfo and gaming of the algos by Russians and others to get propaganda, conspiracy theories and the like to the top of search results.

On a different note if corporations aren't going to be allowed to try to sway politics you need to have a word with good old Rupert.

Gwadien

On a different note if corporations aren't going to be allowed to try to sway politics you need to have a word with good old Rupert.

Or in regards to lobbying, destroying our planet because the government is in the pocket of Oil and Gas.

But yeah, FUCK THE LIBERAL ELITE, I don't care about the planet though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just because one well known cunt is a cunt doesn't give a free pass to other cunts.

Job

All complaints about fossil fuels will only be recognised if they are delivered by carrier pigeon from someone living off grid in a hut.

Evrryone else can go fuck themselves

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It's worth discussing some cases. After the next mass shooting in the US, google for details in the minutes after the announcements. I'll wager that, as it has been for years, Google's first results will be dominated by the likes of Jack Posobiec, Mike Cernovic, Paul Joseph Watson and articles on Infowars stating that the shooter was a muslim or antifa. It's happened pretty much every time. More measured voices or articles containing details which indicate that it wasn't a muslim (e.g. reports that the shooter was white) get crowded out. It's not until later that google's rankings start to put actual factual articles nearer the top.

These misinfo networks play google like a fiddle. Google is being pwned.

/edit: This isn't even a left/right thing. There isn't a left-wing and right-wing view on the Vegas shooter's identity. It's just that the actors playing google the most successfully are the right-wing conspiracy theorists and Russian intelligence who are generally supportive of Trump.

Job

So everyone thinks google are biased, on both sides of every argument

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So everyone thinks google are biased, on both sides of every argument
That's not what I said.

I said that on many subjects the right and Russian intelligence have been better at gaming google so that their narrative lands at the top of search results even when it's total made-up bollocks.

Gwadien

I dont understand your point.

You say people are only allowed to protest against climate change if they have a 0 carbon life style, which let's face it, isn't actually very realistic.

However, you use Google and criticise them at the same time? I mean, if you actually believed what you're saying you wouldn't use it at all, as there are alternatives you can use, and every time you use it, you're giving money to Google, which means that you are supporting them.

Gwadien

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Look.

It's pantomime. It's a sideshow whoever gets in to keep the public entertained and distracted whilst technocratic government gets on with things.

Deep down you know that's true.

Job

Hes right of course.
Just because we hear the shock media outrage version.

How easy would it be to paint the US and Britain as murderous torturing regimes.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hes right of course.
Just because we hear the shock media outrage version.

How easy would it be to paint the US and Britain as murderous torturing regimes.
Fuck off. North Korea is a giant concentration camp. I'll take you seriously when you are cowering under your bed from Boris' Death Squads :/

US and UK not being perfect does not mean they are equivalent to North Korea.

If this was Obama the right media would be squealing about how the lefties have sold out to the communists for nothing in return and that it was time for the army to put him in military prison.

Job

And who told you it was a giant concentration camp?
Journalists?
Escaped prisoners?
Exciled political opponents?

You do know that a lot of the world says the same about us.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
And who told you it was a giant concentration camp?
Journalists?
Escaped prisoners?
Exciled political opponents?

You do know that a lot of the world says the same about us.
Hot take:

"Last year I went to North Korea. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowering meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom