Tribes 2 Etiquette

• Thread starter old.Sir Percival
  • Start date
O

old.Sir Percival

I was playing on one of Barrysworld Tribes 2 CTF (map Slapdash) servers last night when I got vote kicked for what I can only presume was destroying the enemy MPB with my shrike. I was outside the range of the MPB's missile launcher so it was a tad easy, but is this considered to be just not cricket and if so are there any other things I shouldn't be doing/are considered bad Tribes 2 etiquette?

M

Mongrol

What you were doing is perfectly reasonable. The only thing, thats truly considering bad play is vehicle pad sniping, and even thats not a kickable offense (not an BW servers anyway). Anything else, like MO tower camping, setting up invs and turrets in enemy genroom, stealing enemy mpb`s (my fave pastime) even parking tanks on the roof of reversion are all non-kickable offenses.

You were just a victim of a wanker and some sheep.

O

old.Stabs

Strange that you own teammates would vote you off due to attacking the enemy mpb. you sure it was the enemy one now?:)

Other shows of bad form imo are:

1) Satchel charging the flag when there are deployables/defenders nearby.

2) Buying a vehicle, the jumping into a passenger or gunner seat and spamming "need a driver/pilot" while vehicle is still on vpad. Never buy a vehicle if your in Heavy armour unless you plan to disc it off the vpad, anything else make sure you pilot the vehicle off the pad before switching and asking for a driver.

3) Returning the flag when its in a safer position than the flagstand. I.e. if flag drops in the water its relatively safe, if you return the flag you are effectively making the enemies job easier.

4) Base raping when teams are low (roughly 8 v 8). any idiot can base rape against a small team size. Base raping with small teams usually means that the game turns into defend the generator, as teams dont have enough players to defend the gens AND put up an offence.

5) Using missile launchers ;)

Been playin a few games of rabbit recently, if you ever play on a rabbit server its usually considered bad to use the following weapons:

Sniper rifle
Missile Launcher
ELF gun
Whiteout Grenades
Concussion Grenades

All of these weapons prevent exiting, fast paced chasing and mad flag rumbles which is what rabbit is all about.

O

old.Sir Percival

It was definitely the enemy MPB it was parked next to their flag, which makes it quite a legitimate target in my opinion. I guess the whole of their team and some muppets from my team must have voted thinking I was tking. I guess there are some muppets out there who just press 'Insert' straight away when a vote comes up without first checking who or why someone has been voted for.

O

old.Stabs

My point is, only someone on your team could have initiated the vote. Unless some idiot swapped teams just to vote you off.

O

old.Sir Percival

I see, I didn't realise you could only vote of people on your own team.

O

old.AntiPop

one of the massive problems with the T2 community is all the "house rules", what each group consider acceptable and not acceptable. The only one that I've found that all people hate is vpad sniping, but others dislike tower camping, mining your own base, team switching and sachel D.

I was amazed to find out the other day that scandinavian players think sniping the capper in a stand off is not acceptable, wtf?!?!?

O

old.Stabs

alot of people dislike offencive sniping fullstop, i dont have problem wth offensive sniping D, defence has an easy enough time as it is.

It probably stems from T1 were turtling was a valid taccy, in T2 turtling is probably more dangeous than fighting outside with concs and shocklanes going about. Only really safe way to turle in T2 is to get in a tank.

imo though, anything that can break a stalemate is a valid tactic since stalemates are boring as hell. I liked someones idea, think it was Feks, bout returning both flags after a set amount of time in a standoff as whole games can be reduced to a flag standoff if both teams get in tanks.

O

old.Sir Percival

I can't believe it!! Just got vote kicked from the Barrysworld Katabatic server. I was gunner in a tank and my driver jumped out at the same time as I fired the mortar, thus rebounding the mortar and destroying the tank (it was very low on energy, driver was getting out to repair I think). Anyway there was probably only the driver and I that saw it, cos it was in a quiet area of the map and I'm sure he wasn't the one who started the vote. Would someone possibly start a vote just on the basis of reading someone has teamkilled a vehicle without seeing the circumstances? Do people never check the scores to see if the person being voted for has a minus score?

Is there any way to find out who initiated the vote after you have been kicked?

M

Mongrol

Ha no luck!

Considering the seriously bad play on public servers I more lean towards the "anything goes except vpad sniping" group. I`m not keen on baserape on low team sizes but everything else Stab mentioned above I consider fairplay on publics. Satch Def is ok and its entertaining and stops the incessant "I must cap and not ever do anything else" crowd (Goldfox, Slick, Rainingdeath, etc), meaning we can enjoy the map without someone capping it out in 5 minutes. Heavy making a transport I`ll just disc out the way.

Oh, one thing that really really gets my goat is when someone insists on making turrets into mortar`s. Now that really fucks me off. VPad snipers will be hunted incessantly, infact I`ll publicly say that clan -Knight- will all be hunted constantly whenever I`m on a server as you have a very insistant vpad sniper in your group who for some reason can`t understand that its wrong.

Have a nice day. :)

O

old.AntiPop

Hmmm, I've just started switching from HO to capper, I don't wanna end up like Goldfox :)

Stand offs are uber boring!! We played =FR= on The Ladder's 10v10 ladder last night, we both grabbed each others flag after about 30 seconds. The rest of the map was a 15 minute stand off until with 20 seconds to go we got our flag back. I was glad we won but to be honest f00ked the map up big time :(

Sir P, to be honest kicks happen to us all at one point or another, I wouldn't stress about it that much. There are people that always kick for silly things, but to be honest you can learn to avoid these situations. I've also found that as people get to know you over time it happens less and less as they understand it's a mistake.

All I would say is if this just keep happening to you perhaps you should double check you aren't doing anything wrong. Over use of voice binds, voice packs, endless complaining on chat can all also lead to kicks.

B

bob007

Some intresting ideas on pubby play but gotta remember, Even peeps that snip v-pad payed there £5 from wollies or £40 back in the day to play this game.

ATM i play by 1 simple rule if it don't like the way the game is being played on pubbys IE V-Pad snippers or friendly mortar fire inside your own base (pisses me off that loads) i move on, There are plenty of other servers out there.

I like the standoff thing tho but that would have to be included in say the bwadmin mod something like if the 2 flags have not been on stand after 5 mins auto return them. Don't get me wrong here i wouldn't know were to begin with this, But if someone sees this that has any ideas on how to implement this on an auto feature please speak up and we'll all spam your pm's an email account till you have done it :p j/k btw

ps can someone put force feilds around the vpad station were you pick your vehic, that would stop vpad snipping :clap:

Ok i have finished now going back to work

O

old.Stabs

Mongrel you misread my post

1) Satchel charging the flag when there are deployables/defenders nearby.

Notice how i only said its unnaceptable when there is already an established defence about? If noone else is defending, flag, or at least theres no deployables or D around flag, then feel free to satchel charge it.

My point is, ive seen people put satchel charges down when there is a HoF on flag!

Its not much fun on say a map like kata when you have 2 LD, a HoF, mines and turrets all covering flag, then someone comes in for grab attack and aforementioned newbie sets off the satchel too early, clearing every single part of defence in one attempt (including shrike D, believe me ive been on the recieving end of that more than once), leaving flag totally clear for capper.

Even if he does manage to kill the capper hes just taken out most of the defence forcing others in the team to spend time re-kitting up and deploying and thus leaving D very vulnerable indeed.

Point being that if there is already an established defence, a satchel charge will more often do more harm than good. Not to mention that good cappers generally come in spamming grenades anyhow usually making satchels on flag obsolete.

S

Scouse

I pretty much say anything goes - yeah, the vpad sniping is lame - but at the end of the day its still a valid tactic to piss the opposite team off (just about anything is). [note: I don't do it] :)

In fact - the only thing I really think people should be kicked for are tkill offences and the like - eg: People who haven't the patience to wait in line at vehicle pads and shoot you out of the way [the tossers - I could name a few prima-donna's who do it but I won't].

Also - I kinda frown on people who vote-spam (especially if it's just because they wanna kick a n00b who is still learning the game).

Yeah - everything else mentioned may make the game less/(more?) interesting depending on taste but none of it's worth kicking someone for.

Oh - and just to say something controversial - I like standoffs ;)

O

old.mzungo

its war guys

Come on chaps this is war not cricket! snipe rape wotever does the job.

F

fatgit

vpad sniping pisses off the nme, making em chase ya over half the map, leaving their flag less defended, or their O less effective :)

I love O sniping the ones that stand there after 1st shot, just waiting to be hit again :D
Then someone in a shrike joins in the hunt for me, and Im tieing up at least 2-3 NME's :)

Lame ? Maybe, but no lamer than HO ski'ing, Tank Flagging etc, and its fun watching the "all O snipers should be shot" group getting wound up to the point that killing me is all they can think about :)

M

Mongrol

Originally posted by fatgit
vpad sniping pisses off the nme, making em chase ya over half the map, leaving their flag less defended, or their O less effective :)

That`s a good idea you have there, unfortunately it relies on the enemy team actually giving a toss about their flag. If you`ve been on a pub recently (last few months) you`d realise that noone does. Everyone has a personal agenda which general includes keeping your shrike alive as long as possible, or genraping. I`ve played a few games of slapdash where our teams flag has had zero defence and noones touched it all game. Your vpad sniping merely serves to ruin a few peoples enjoyment of the game, and legitimate tactic or not, I`ll hunt you down till your momma`s ears bleed.

Have a nice day. :)

S

Scouse

HO ski'ing???

EH? Explain please..... I'm sure you don't mean simple HO so why the distinction?!

O

old.Ego

Right, so called "server etiquette" is a LARGE part of what made T1 nothing more than a cluster game (everyone goes light naked)

"server etiquette" can kiss my arse. I'm sorry stab but i would be doing my team a great dishonour if i allowed you to get in a shrike! So ANYTHING i can do to stop that will be of a BENEFIT to my team! You know you are 1 of the top 5 shrikers in europe as do I. So if stopping you ruling the skies means i have to gen camp 8 v 8 or vpad sniope you then that is what i will do! I am sick of peeps bitching about people stopping them doing what they want on a server and blaming it on "etiquete". Imo the ONLY thing that is bad "etiquette" and deserves a vote is teamkilling, that is ALL. Yes i don;t liek peeps hanging around on vpad asking for pilots, but YOU can disc them off, or heres a new idea, if you want a vehicle why not pilot them!!!! Oh but that would mean a decent player helping a n00b out, can't have that can we? :/

O

old.ArkhoN

Ego is right imo. O sniping was/is considered lame in t1, whereas I'm considering scout whoring "lame" in t2 so I don't see nuttin wrong with raping base/sniping vehicle pad to prevent you from this sort of stuff.

O

old.D3-

Only a couple of things I hate in Tribes2...

1) VPad Sniping... It's lame and cheep... If your doing it simply to stop people from "shrike whoring" not that I've actually witnessed this myself then sure, your doing it for a REASON but most people just do it for easy kills and more points. Lucky for me my role in [Ts] and role in general all revolves around cloak so I use that sometimes when I go to buy a vehicle...

2) Satchals on the flag. This totally ruins the game, end of story.. Anyone with half a brain cell and a satchal on the flag ready to detonate wrecks a public server on the spot.

Tbh if anyone disagrees with me then you go ahead and disagree with me but these are my own PERSONAL opinions and I think that both things mentioned above are about as lame as you get and can ruin a server in 10 seconds flat.

S

Scouse

Satchelling the flag in some circumstances is OK by me TBH - but in the vast majority of maps I'd say a big NO.

But D3- m8 - would you kick people for it??

Nah - I didn't think so - the only things people should get kicked for are Tkill things (shooting people off the pad and out of your way 'N stuff).

M

Mongrol

On Barrysworld servers TK`ing is the only reason mentioned in this thread that someone will get kicked. We`re talking etiquette here, not reasons for kicking people. Every other play tactic listed so far, no matter how scumbag, won`t get you kicked.

O

old.D3-

But D3- m8 - would you kick people for it??

First I ask them not to. Almost everyone who replies says "ok mate" - in the case of satchals though you do get some abuse.

Those who don't reply and keep on doing it 9/10 times annoy many other people on the servers. If a lot of people complain then I will ask for someone on the guys team to kick him. This does happen, if not often. Other times I will change teams, vote, change back if the situation is really annoying people.

I only play on one server though. Barrysworld KATA only.

S

Scouse

Not having a pop at you m8 - but I think it's not on kicking anyone just because they're not playing to your style of play.

If I had my way I'd kick anyone who didn't play as a coherent team :)

M

Mongrol

Originally posted by D3-

First I ask them not to. Almost everyone who replies says "ok mate" - in the case of satchals though you do get some abuse.

Those who don't reply and keep on doing it 9/10 times annoy many other people on the servers. If a lot of people complain then I will ask for someone on the guys team to kick him. This does happen, if not often. Other times I will change teams, vote, change back if the situation is really annoying people.

I only play on one server though. Barrysworld KATA only.

Consider this your statutary warning. If I catch you doing that, you will be kicked immediately. You have no right to dictate how other people play, especially if they are on the opposing team.

O

old.D3-

Originally posted by Scouse
Not having a pop at you m8 - but I think it's not on kicking anyone just because they're not playing to your style of play.

Scouse mate, please note

Those who don't reply and keep on doing it 9/10 times annoy many other people on the servers. If a lot of people complain then I will ask for someone on the guys team to kick him.

Not my style of play, the majoritys style of play.

O

old.D3-

Same reply goes to you Mongrol.

The majority decide, always have done... whats the vote all about? who wins? the majority.. CS vote... who wins? The Majority..

I DO NOT kick for personal reasons but when an entire server turns to flame one guy then that one guy who's disturbing things has to go and the MAJORITY, ie for those not understanding this... "The BIGGER %age of the people PLAYING" then if a vote is cast... THEY decide.

Besides, I'm sick of the way Tribes2 has turned out, all the peons from Tribes have come over and just turned it shit side up. I'll be off sooner of later so no need to worry.

S

Scouse

The only problem with that D3- is that newbies, who haven't really got to grips with the game, get kicked a lot.

Newer players simply can't cope with all the information that comes at them on the screen whilst coping with teamplay AND trying to read the message bar at the top.

It's the messages that are the first to be ignored - read AND play?? :)

The shame is - most of the satchel chargers I see get kicked are newbies with the best intentions.

One of the biggest problems that has plagued tribes since T1 is that the more experienced players aren't big on teaching newbies (yes, there are notable exceptions). That's why there are so many muppets.

One thing that's interesting to me - last august I was getting so f*cked off with T2 because of the lack of teamplay - and I posted here a couple of times (in anger admittedly) about this. I was told where to go really - public servers apparently were "free for alls" where "anything goes" - "find a role for yourself and do it if you want to". Now I find that people are getting kicked for doing exactly that.

O

old.D3-

You post a valid point scouse and I don't intend to argue with it because I agree with it. Although I honestly and strongly believe I was doing nothing wrong and that my methods were fair I have actually stopped doing what I posted before and now I let other people kick them instead ( i vote yes but by all means I do not vote anymore ).

Infact I spent all last night in 6 different matches doing nothing but satchal charges and didn't get kicked once ( which is why I've had the change of attitude ) :D

I did get a lot of abuse though and asked people if "it annoyed them" and if it "wrecked the game" to which everyone said yes except for one EMS clan player who didn't seem to mind. ( It was made clear I was doing it to see if it got on peoples nerves - which might actually explain why no one bothered to kick me... that and the backup of the [Ts] tag I was wearing... after all someone would have to wonder why a player in such a clan would do something so low ).

I won't resort to vpad sniping but I'm off again now to satchal some more.. it's actually quite fun :D

Users who are viewing this thread