TV Top Gear, back tonight

georgie

FH is my second home
I thought it was well known that the laps shown are an edit of the "more interesting" bits of a few laps.

And do you honestly think Tom Cruise and whatsherjizzface? would come on without having a guaranteed slot on the star-in-the-car board? :)

Eh? o_O

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I don't think Tom Cruise would have done the star in the reasonably priced car, even though he was promoting his film, without a guarantee that his time would have been right near the top of the board as it stood.

I.E.: A fix.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK. I'll recind my idea* :)

*which may have been based on my hatred of the "operating thetan" midget-boy

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
The British people need te realise how lucky they are to have the BBC. The rest of the broadcasting world is utter shite, with a few exceptions (Belgium Canvas and Dutch VPRO for example).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The British people need te realise how lucky they are to have the BBC. The rest of the broadcasting world is utter shite, with a few exceptions (Belgium Canvas and Dutch VPRO for example).

^This. I miss radio 4 with my breakfast, 5 Live on a Saturday afternoon, iPlayer all the time. Even though I get the main BBC channels, auntie does a lot of stuff that's second to none that you can't get outside the UK. In Ireland I have to pay a more expensive licence fee that gets me RTE, which is rubbish apart from a few American first run programmes that come out ahead of Sky/C4, and a reasonable sports offer, but you also get ads. UK licence payers don't know they're born.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If you're old and have given up on life, then yes I suppose the license fee does provide a lot of options.

If you're still alive and under 40 then it offers you pretty much nothing. At all.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
If you're old and have given up on life, then yes I suppose the license fee does provide a lot of options.

If you're still alive and under 40 then it offers you pretty much nothing. At all.

Rubbish.

Go outside of UK and turn on a television. The commercial channels are nothing but commercials with cheap entertainment in between. Also it's only entertainment, no in debt stuff, only soaps, populair movies and docu's (if at all), etc. It's impossible to see/enjoy a movie on the Dutch commercial channels for example. They switched to an American approach on commercial brakes. Short ones (2min) every 5-10min. Or brake the movie in 2 parts (usually the last 10-15min of it for the second part) with a celebrity news show of 30-45min in between.

A Formula 1 Grand Prix will have over 15 commercial brakes (parhaps more, I dunno), which makes sense if you want to miss all the important bits. People here in the Netherlands are gutted the BBC is only showing halve of them. They hardly have an alternative.

Dutch football (MOTD) went to the commercial side not long ago. Starting with the lower end of the table, with the good matches at the end. Commercials in between every match and talk. Raitings dropped 2-3 million viewers (from 4 to around 1 million). That's a lot for a country that has 16 million inhabitants. I believe the UK hade something similair?

It's hard to name a good program on the commercial channels here in the Netherlands. One or two come to mind.

Ohh and i'm still under 40, although just under.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'm a bit upset that there wasn't a 'special' where they go abroad at the end of the series, I like them they're usually the funniest, tbh, I don't really watch Top Gear for the cars mainly, I watch it for how fast the car goes and the lols they have whilst doing it, if I wanted to watch it for le cars, I would watch Fifth Gear, or find reviews on the interwebs.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Rubbish.

Go outside of UK and turn on a television.

I wasn't discussing the nature of foreign TV AT ALL. I was discussing how biased the BBC's output is towards older generations. No idea why that caused you to go on a rant about Dutch TV.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I wasn't discussing the nature of foreign TV AT ALL. I was discussing how biased the BBC's output is towards older generations. No idea why that caused you to go on a rant about Dutch TV.

Please explain to me then how the BBC is biased towards older generations. The reason I go on a rant of foreign TV is just to show you how bad it could be. Criticizing the BBC is just bullox.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

You've obviously never seen Timmy Time, In The Night Garden and the seriously drug-addled Waybuloo. Maybe BBC output isn't geared towards 16-24 year olds, but you know what, fuck 'em; they're getting more sex and drugs than the rest of us and don't watch TV anyway, so they can piss off.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Isn't that a type of cow or something?

Indeed. Her first name is Sandra

264px-SandraBullockMay09.jpg

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You've obviously never seen Timmy Time, In The Night Garden and the seriously drug-addled Waybuloo. Maybe BBC output isn't geared towards 16-24 year olds, but you know what, fuck 'em; they're getting more sex and drugs than the rest of us and don't watch TV anyway, so they can piss off.
Yes but they've also given kids Tree Fu Fucking Tom.

Grrrrr.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
We dont watch enough TV to make paying £150 a year worthwhile. The few things we do watch are on iplayer or the other channels various catch up sites. Don't see the point in paying an extortionate amount of money every year for what in reality is about 5 or 6 shows across all channels.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Please explain to me then how the BBC is biased towards older generations. The reason I go on a rant of foreign TV is just to show you how bad it could be. Criticizing the BBC is just bullox.

So wait, you're not ever allowed to criticise the Beeb at all? For any reason? Ever?

I'm not a serial Beeb complainer, the only issues I have with them are:
1) Output is geared notably towards the older generations;
2) The quality of their dramas is very poor, usually down to the writing;
3) License fee isn't the most ideal way of doing things if you're not a heavy user of their stuff.

That's all. It's pretty easy to see their generational focus: look at the TV programming, radio programming. Very little of it is aimed at under 30s.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
You have a very short sighted view when it comes to age and what people are watching. Not everyone below 30 years of age is only interested in watching MTV (etc, etc). There are some people below the age of 30 that like to be informed or learn something. License fee is the only way to guarantee decent quality. It's the only way to watch TV without commercials every 5 min (well legally anyway). It's the only way to get as close to non biased programming.

Sure the BBC isnt perfect and 150 pounds a year is a lot. But then again it gives you MOTD, F1, Top Gear, etc, etc. without the commercials and with people that actually know what they are talking about.

Also if it werent for the BBC, old people might aswell not have TV, cause there isnt any programming done for them besides the Beeb.

You may criticise and if that's indeed all, ill just smile and look stupid.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You do realise when I'm discussing U30s targetted TV, I'm not talking about teen stuff like Skins, MTV shows etc?

You're MASSIVELY failing to understant my point. So much so that unless you bother thinking before replying, I wouldn't respond because you keep typing lots of stuff about things I'm not talking about.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Sure the BBC isnt perfect and 150 pounds a year is a lot. But then again it gives you MOTD, F1, Top Gear, etc, etc. without the commercials and with people that actually know what they are talking about.

Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen. They are on extortionate wages to say "pace. power. technique." and "he should have done better there."

That is not effective analysis.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen. They are on extortionate wages to say "pace. power. technique." and "he should have done better there."

That is not effective analysis.

But that's just because English players are shite in general, hence you have guests. It's the best you can do.

Anyways, nevermind Wazz. Your short sightedness (sp!) has once again not failed to amaze me.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm shortsighted because you can't tell the difference between target audiences?

OK. Glad we're clear on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom