To the person who gained access to my account

O

old.Verata

I'm not sure who you are or if you even read these forums. I'm just taking a chance here...

For those who don't know, someone gained access to my account last night and, after cleaning out all the weapons, armour and items, deleted all my chars. This was done with complete malice as they rerolled at least 4 chars in each slot to overwrite every backup and make sure there was no way GOA could restore any of them. They rerolled one too few in Verata's slot, so luckily I have that back, albeit with no cash, items, armour or weapons.

What it comes down to is that I've lost 3 chars, including my Mentalist who, being a 900 spellcrafter, had everything I owned in game. 8 plat, a full set of SC'd MP cloth armour, items for all my chars I'd just spent +- 5 plat on, 2 MP staves (one of which belonged to a friend), a vault full of items I'd been saving for guildies, the list goes on...

If the person who did it is reading this, I'm not entirely sure what I did to offend you to this degree, but I certainly don't go out of my way to piss anyone off this much. In one foul swoop you've managed to eradicate a hell of a lot of play time and effort that I put into my characters for no apparent reason. I've resigned myself to the fact that there's no way I can get any of those characters back. I don't know if I have the heart to carry on playing if this kind of thing could happen again in the future. It's kind of hard to start from scratch after watching so much work go down the drain.

I'd still like to know why though. At least have the common decency to drop me a PM on these forums and let me know why you did it. Create a false account if you're a pussy, I don't care. Just have the balls to let me know why you did it.

I don't know what kind of person get's their jollies doing this kind of thing, but there's no place in this community for someone like you. Words cannot describe exactly what I'd like to see happen to you. I wish you all the misery this world can heap on you.

G

gaenvan

Got to say that is a bad thing to have done to you and i could only imagine how bad it would be.

For a person to do this must be the lowest form of life about.

Gaen

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Despite you being a Hib, damn this sucks.
Best of luck mate, I hope GoA can be arsed to track this gent down. Although, I doubt he hacked into it, maybe some of your mates who had access to the account told someone else.
Hacking your comp just for the passwords is too much effort for most.
Regards, Glottis

R

Repent Reloaded

Despite you being a Hib
thats not the best thing to say in this situation m8... shame on u.

I dont know u but im rly sorry to see that happen. I feel all worried now :( cant imagine how u feel right now and I dont think I want to. Good luck in the future.

A

Alrindel

What the hell is wrong with some people?

Let me know if you need new weapons.

O

old.Xarr

aw hell, that sucks so bad :<

hacking accounts is so fucking lame GAH

J

JoxerTheMighty

Sorry to hear that, mate. I really hope that this guy will be found.

Call me, if I can help you with anything..got some old staffs and weapons rotting in my vault for some time now.

S

Skaven

Aye, thats just shit mate :\
The only way I can think of that they gained access to ur account (and im presuming u've kept ur pass etc to urself and not passed it on) is if you say put the details down in a file somewhere on your computer and they found it by hacking. Can't believe they've hacked goa's servers and taken it that way. (at least I hope not.

O

old.MikhailGudlik

Gotta say a lot of people getting their accounts hacked into lately.
Some of them char that have been traded around but scary thing a few secure accounts with only 1 owner getting hacked too.
At least 4 ppl i know been hacked in last 2 weeks their items and money stolen or replaced by lowbie ones. Dont know what to think but i hope GOA database didnt get hacked.
+ A few ppl had a bug when they logged onto their chars were not present in game and could do /who to all 3 Realms and PM people in all 3 realms without their name showing. Another bug was me logging in my 2nd char and seing it being some random char i never seen before ( relog solved it)
Is it me or since SI came active more ppl getting hacked?

A

Aeiedil

might have been due to the requests of ppl asking for passwords to reactivate their account that standards slipped temporarily? *shrugs*

S

spankya

That really sucks :( After having my account hacked losing a lvl48 shade, 37 eld and all my items and money on all my chars, I know how u feel. Why the hell does this keep happening, and why the fuck cant GOA keep a decent backup which would allow them to restore anything required. Its not hard at all to backup everything on to some sort of data storage on a daily basis which would then allow them to go to the backup, and restore the char meaning u would only lose 1 days worth of playing. Even if it is was a weekly backup and so u could lose a week's worth playing its better than losing everything!

This is one of the reasons I havent bothered with daoc anymore, because GOA are absolutely bloody useless, unhelpful and dont give a shit about their customers(us).

Verata, sorry to hear u lost all that and I know exactly how u feel, but with some help from guild, items, cash, plvling etc its easy enough to get back to a decent state. Good luck, and dont let some asshole hacker hold u back.

A

Amadon

ouch :(

if there's anything I can help you with lemme know

S

spankya

And if someone from GOA reads this I would just like to say the following:

You should be able to put a decent backup system in place whereby you keep at least weekly backups of every server and allow you to restore any data which is needed. Even if you charged a little bit more a month then I think it would be worth it. Assuming you have 50000 customers, if you charged even an extra 10 pence per month, you would gain an extra £120000 a year which surely would allow you to put a decent backup in place. Most companies which keep customer data ensure that they have full backups of all customer data and are able to restore anything needed at any time. Might be a good idea for GOA to do the same, which would then sort out the problem of people getting their account hacked.

N

Novamir

OMG

Not only is Ver in the E&E, but he's a truly genuine guy and I can't see WTF anyone would do this to him. If i found the person i'd string em up and beat 5 shades of shit out of em.

Sorry to see that Ver. I have some items you could use next time i log in (april ish)

E

elath

Re: Tsk

Originally posted by Mageling
Common people, this is just a game!

So is life...your point is?

Dont give up mate - I'm certain your guildies and realmies can help you recover from this. Aye, whats happened is truly fucked up but to give up will just play right into the wee feckers hands that did this.

S

Sharp Thing

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

omg, wtf is up with ppl? seeing this happend to guildies...

if you need any help getting any of your chars back, il be happy to help mate, best of luck ;/

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by spankya
And if someone from GOA reads this I would just like to say the following:

You should be able to put a decent backup system in place whereby you keep at least weekly backups of every server and allow you to restore any data which is needed. Even if you charged a little bit more a month then I think it would be worth it. Assuming you have 50000 customers, if you charged even an extra 10 pence per month, you would gain an extra £120000 a year which surely would allow you to put a decent backup in place. Most companies which keep customer data ensure that they have full backups of all customer data and are able to restore anything needed at any time. Might be a good idea for GOA to do the same, which would then sort out the problem of people getting their account hacked.

Rolling backups of essential data should be standard in a situation like this. They are rarely needed, but when they are they should be used.. It's not difficult and not all that expensive. In my last company we used to do regular backups of more than 15 terrabytes of data for our online data and internal backups of about 300gigabytes of data per site..... It's not that tricky.

N

Nightchill

altho i realise this may not be taken well, maybe having a new start on prydwen in a different realm is in order? could ease the pain.

O

old.DachraK

Very sad to hear !!!
Those guys that do this, I hope someone is able to track em down and have them pay for it.

Verata I'll help u out if I can.

M

Mageling

Look out ya window man

Originally posted by elath
So is life...your point is?
You play too much, life don’t come with infinite continues.

S

spankya

Re: Tsk

Originally posted by Mageling
Common people, this is just a game!

Yeah we all know its just a game, but some poeple put alot of time into the game and its extremely frustrating to see all that work and time lost due to some stupid hacker.

Not sure what lvl your chars are or how long u have played, but assuming u have been playing for a long time and have a lvl50 or 2 or more, I'm sure u would be very pissed off if they got totally deleted and all the time u spent making the chars turned out to be for nothing.

Verata, I've known u for a long time and used to be in CF with u and would like to help by making u armour or something, but my account is closed as I quit playing, which is why I havent offered to help. But I hope u get everything sorted out mate.

C

Cloak_

Do like UO and have server downs at night to give time to backup ALL data

Wud also stop lame raids :p

E

Exiled

yeh but would also stop us sorting them out falc, um, i mean, um, bollocks, but yeh having a set time for downtime, like 5am or something is a good idea, it really does suck that GOA cant keep a decent back up of your char, ever few hours i notice "your char has been saved" but i really do doubt that, sorry for your loss :( need any armour (AC) yelp me in game

C

Cloak_

Server wars was one of the most fun things in UO

E

Exiled

yeh hehe, remember once when they didnt take it down and they ended up with loads of reds lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom