Threads about freeshards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
[HB]Jpeg said:
i aint read all the thread .. nor am i a tech wizard .. or legal eagle..

but... IF GOA/MYTHIC etc etc dont allow for code or stuff in the game to be changed..............

Why do they allow people to use MODS and Player made UI's ? surely that is changing the code in someway to have daoc to look how they want it to ?

also .... @read above i aint no expert@ but isnt that the same as editing the i.p to play on a freeshard ? except that u aint paying mythic/goa to use it ? and in theory goa/mythic are saying u can edit ui folder etc etc nd add bits into the game for your own benefit if goa/mythic are recieving the subs.. but if they aint.. then it aint allowed?

Thats a good point about the Ui thing

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
Thadius said:
Thats a good point about the Ui thing

aye ... i thought so... i bet even the GM's that play DAOC use PLAYER MADE "ilegal?" UI's ? cos the goa/mythic ones suck.

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Seakul said:
with money you get from the dole?

LOLERSK8ER... Im not going to enter into an argument regarding my personal income... lets just say I have never been on the Dole in my life. And tbh even if I was on the dole (which some people are from time to time) this comment just shows what an imature little **** u are.

Ad

Mey

Part of the furniture
Seakul said:
with money you get from the dole?

Haha what’s funny Adlatus, is I’m 18 and I probably get paid more an hour than this cretin after all he lives in Cornwall. He reminds me of some of the people that come into the bank some times, clueless to the real world.

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
DoL is a daoc server emulator.

It uses the default client (you can run game.dll directly, it accepts account, password, ip among others as parameters) and emulates a real server.

The only thing reverse engineered is the daoc packet system.

I really dont see the harm, its really interesting really.

MxN

Can't get enough of FH
[HB]Jpeg said:
aye ... i thought so... i bet even the GM's that play DAOC use PLAYER MADE "ilegal?" UI's ? cos the goa/mythic ones suck.

why would they be ilegal?

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
Mxn said:
why would they be ilegal?

if u read some of the thread.. gm said editing game info etc was against coc and ilegal ... i dont mind ui's but if goa and mythic wanna stick to the rules to the thumb.. then player made ui's ingame would be ilegal by there own coc rules?

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Player made UIs are a feature and system support by Mythic o_O

And i'm so fucking glad gimmly is playing freeshards. The further away his cheating hands are from me the better. Its nice to see he hasn't changed tho, still the same as before; always trying to cheat something out of someone.

Whether Freeshards are legal or not is kind of moot, because at the end of the day its against Mythic and GOA's EULA, and FH tries to support that. Therefore advertising that shit is not allowed, nor wanted here.

We don't want cheaters and ebay'ers advertising their shit here, so fuck off.

rynnor

Rockhound
Ryuno said:
We don't want cheaters and ebay'ers advertising their shit here...

Heh - is this bit ironic? Have you not seen the google ad's for ebayed gold etc then on Freddys? :)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Aye UI's are allowed - otherwise there wouldnt be a option to use "custom" ones on the login page.

As for the rest of it - FH gets like a merry-go-round where some people can't see the woods for the trees..

Its illegal , end of.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
rynnor said:
Heh - is this bit ironic? Have you not seen the google ad's for ebayed gold etc then on Freddys? :)

Very good point! :D

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:

Nope, hes contributed to the running of the forums so doesn't see the adds like other people who support FreddysHouse

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Tears said:
Nope, hes contributed to the running of the forums so doesn't see the adds like other people who support FreddysHouse

I cant afford to support the game, let alone the forums . I still dont like to see the adds for radar/gold etc, its tempting :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Tears said:

I dont see them either but they are mentioned quite often so I'm surprised he doesnt know they exist.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Lots of funny stuff to read in here tbh =P

Aslong as you havent made the whole damn game yourself you can ofcourse only play the game on the official servers, well I guess you can play on a Freeshard server as many does, but that is ofcourse illigal.

Anything enabling you to play the game without useing the official servers is ofcourse illigal.

You don't really have to think much to know thats how it is really.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
interesting discussion -

ive tried freeshard's and yep its great to try a lvl50 char of a realm that you havnt playedon before, but in reality - these shards dont have the same reliability or access-ability of GOA or mythic Servers.

I will certainly be paying GOA or mythic to play the game as i get a more stable, feature rich environment that i can pve or pvp.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
people are throwing illegal around like its a criminal offence to do this.

could you please start saying "against the EULA" so no more people get confused?

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Its pretty much the same thing Tris - if you break the EULA although not a statute of law itself - you are doing something illegal in so much as using a product not for the intention with which it was sold having already agreed to the terms and conditions of said product - same as wiring up a Sky Digi box for free movies etc. Granted I doubt anyone is going to ever go down for making or using Freeshards etc but it is still illegal.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
evzy said:
Its pretty much the same thing Tris - if you break the EULA although not a statute of law itself - you are doing something illegal in so much as using a product not for the intention with which it was sold having already agreed to the terms and conditions of said product - same as wiring up a Sky Digi box for free movies etc. Granted I doubt anyone is going to ever go down for making or using Freeshards etc but it is still illegal.

I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

Goa dont like freeshards because they take away sub payers(well duh :p) but why do people choose shards over normal servers?

tris-

but you can get daoc by not agreeing to any EULA. and play on a freeshard without agreeing to a EULA.

the only time you get a EULA is a)installing it from cd rom and b)trying to log onto an 'official' server.

the conditions you have with a sky digi box will be a legally binding contract.

the EULA is a set of T&C that isnt legally enforcable.

i dunno if you constructed your sentance wrong or what mate ;) but if you buy DAOC you dont agree to any conditions in the shop on its use.

products dont have an 'intetion for their use' per se. its usually common sense would tell me i should use a fork to eat my food with. or i would put a music CD in the cd player. but i could of course use it as a frisbee if i wanted.

or an example that is related to this.

back in the days you could apparently use splinter cell or some such game to install linux on an xbox.
now you may say the intetion of splinter cell is to play the game. if i bought it only so i could install linux, well thats upto me isnt it?

it may not be its common sense intention but there is nothing stopping me from doing that.

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Dallas, you have a right to free speach, when your in your own house and nobody can hear you.

Another shocking revelation, freddyshouse is supporting and even reccomending antisocial behaviour that is a risk to your health.

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
Thadius said:
but why do people choose shards over normal servers?

they dont, mostly. i would say that 99% of the people who i know play freeshards (eg arent total randoms! thats what i mean here ofc) also have at least one active account on real 'legal' servers.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
rynnor said:

and have u seen that alot latly? the admins blocked those adverts a few weeks ago.......

argument sunk even before u posted it ;)

tris-

also isnt there a minimum age for accepting a contract? im pretty sure if you are between 13-18 you have to present the contract to a parent/guardian so they can accept it on your behalf.

in which case, im sure no one here would of done that. therfore making the contract null?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Dallas said:
Freeshards are legal, wether you choose to ban someone of goa/mythics server because they play on freeshards, is something entirely different, you are not breaking the law because you are playing on one, nor are you breaking it by hosting one.

no, they are not legal. the ppl whos running those freeshards arent paying Mythic licensing are they? so it IS illegal, in every way, shape and form u can think about.

its one thing to have your own cs:s server and a totally diffrent thing to rip off a entire game the makers DONT allow u to run....

tris-

why should they pay license when the server wasnt made by mythic?

if anyone is breaking the rules it the people playing on it. these people have merely created server emulation software. thats not illegal its self.

people using mythics client against the conditions they accept or what ever, are breaking the rules.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Are Freeshards self-maintained, or do they go down on Giro day?

:m00:

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Thadius said:

Goa dont like freeshards because they take away sub payers(well duh :p) but why do people choose shards over normal servers?

so they can h4x without getting banned?
and even if they get banned, they dont have to buy a new box!

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Thadius said:

The sort of people who play on Freeshards (in my experience) are they same sort of people who buy and sell accounts.

i.e. those people who put minimal effort into a character themselves, or take up that character after the hard work has been done. Thus getting bored with the char after a million rps or so, selling, moving on, scamming etc.

Playing on Freeshards is like eBay, but free. Very little effort, very little sense of achievement. I'll bet a nickel that a large proportion of people who have moved from paying servers to Freeshards have bought/sold accounts, scammed/been scammed etc.

At least that's my perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom