SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Can't believe people keep falling for all this "Oh noes the planet is getting hots" nonsense.
2023 was mostly shit and cold weather-wise.

*runs away and hides now the fuse is lit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yep, but I read an article saying that it was at least "bigger than the UK". But frankly, we can't dig up the seabed without thousand-miles wide plumes of pollution in terms of waste and, of course, the noise will utterly fuck the marine animals.

We can't not-pollute when digging the earth up. We've no hope when digging in the ocean, away from everyone's eyes.
Yeah, but Teslas.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
And whilst we're on teh DOOOM! subject:

Crazy!

CLIMATE CHANGE ISN'T REAL!11

220.jpg

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Seems like we'd pollute the oceans less if we just stuck to getting oil and gas out of them, then carrying on our fairly impressive efforts so far to use less of them than we did before.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Impressive.

And I didn't know they could double for Cobalt. Wowzers.
I've been doing my bit. Got double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation. Doubt there is much more insulation wise I can do.

My boiler is fairly new and has a rating of over 90% (it is gas powered). I guess I could see if there are solar powered kettles or some other shite like that as I do drink quite a few hot decaff drinks during the day.

What have you all done to your abodes?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've ripped out the single glazing and am: re-roofing and insulating, digging up the floor slab and insulating, tearing out the concrete pointing and crap plaster and repointing with lime mortar and replastering with breathable plaster, internally insulating the half of my house I can, pulling down the artex flooring and putting in insulated cavity floors/ceilings. Then once that's done, next year I'm gonna fight with planning to get solar if I can, then battery and air source if the insulation works as hoped.

Not allowed to tear down the house and rebuild :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been doing my bit. Got double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation. Doubt there is much more insulation wise I can do.

My boiler is fairly new and has a rating of over 90% (it is gas powered). I guess I could see if there are solar powered kettles or some other shite like that as I do drink quite a few hot decaff drinks during the day.

Insulate between floors to better compartmentalise your home and reduce heating costs. Install MVHR system to improve air quality and reduce heating costs. Install intelligent air bricks (if applicable) to control heat loss beneath the building. Consider heat exchangers on hot waste water to recover heat loss. There's lots of things you can do.

BTW heat pumps are up to and over 500% efficient now, on the correct tariff they are now cheaper than heating with gas.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
BTW heat pumps are up to and over 500% efficient now, on the correct tariff they are now cheaper than heating with gas.
I think they're nearly there. They state 500% efficient, but in real-world scenarios they still come in about 300% when installed.

If your house is well insulated, it's a no-brainer tbh. But primary is insulate, insulate, insulate.

Of course, we imprison peaceful protestors who campaign for insulation - giving them longer prison terms than arsonists. :eek:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thanks, lots of stuff to go research now :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fitted a log burner.

Mmmm, toasty.
Do you have to dry your shit first ? (remember years ago watching some tree huggers putting their shit into a press and it came out like a house brick)

Bodhi

Do you have to dry your shit first ? (remember years ago watching some tree huggers putting their shit into a press and it came out like a house brick)

No we have two gluttonous cats who need many shits a day, so we just wait for that to dry and burn that. The attached bits of litter make a strange popping noise, and our neighbour isn't speaking to us due to the smell - it is remarkably cost effective though. You just need to spend £50 a month on Sheba and Dreamies.

More seriously it's about £150 for a big builder's bag full of logs, which lasts us most of the winter and provides warmth a heat pump can only dream of. It's also how the 30's house we bought was designed to be heated.

Ours has a loft conversion which is well insulated, and we're having new windows fitted in March, however I suspect that's all we will do insulation wise until we look to get the roof replaced. It can cost a little more to heat in winter, but the trade off is the draughts are still there in summer, meaning even if its above 40 degrees and everyone is melting, it's still perfectly pleasant inside.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No we have two gluttonous cats who need many shits a day, so we just wait for that to dry and burn that. The attached bits of litter make a strange popping noise, and our neighbour isn't speaking to us due to the smell - it is remarkably cost effective though. You just need to spend £50 a month on Sheba and Dreamies.

More seriously it's about £150 for a big builder's bag full of logs, which lasts us most of the winter and provides warmth a heat pump can only dream of. It's also how the 30's house we bought was designed to be heated.

Ours has a loft conversion which is well insulated, and we're having new windows fitted in March, however I suspect that's all we will do insulation wise until we look to get the roof replaced. It can cost a little more to heat in winter, but the trade off is the draughts are still there in summer, meaning even if its above 40 degrees and everyone is melting, it's still perfectly pleasant inside.
Nice, my sister has a type of log burner in her house where it is completely self standing and sealed (well it has a glass door to put the wood in) and the flue goes straight up through the roof. I must say it is fucking hot and you cannot beat the visual and audible when it is burning.

Bodhi

Nice, my sister has a type of log burner in her house where it is completely self standing and sealed (well it has a glass door to put the wood in) and the flue goes straight up through the roof. I must say it is fucking hot and you cannot beat the visual and audible when it is burning.

That's similar to the one we have - in fact I think that's the only type you can have installed now.

It's the best thing we've done to the house by a country mile. I'd call it a guilty pleasure, but as our neighbours all have them and we live on a main road, I don't feel guilty in the slightest.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think they're nearly there. They state 500% efficient, but in real-world scenarios they still come in about 300% when installed.

If your house is well insulated, it's a no-brainer tbh. But primary is insulate, insulate, insulate.

Of course, we imprison peaceful protestors who campaign for insulation - giving them longer prison terms than arsonists. :eek:

View: https://twitter.com/_heatgeek/status/1744437535722352819

Look at the temperature curve, over 5 degrees outside = COP of 5 and over.

Bodhi

Our log burner and gas boiler will be removed and replaced by a glorified noisy inefficient (in a typical British winter) air conditioning unit over my dead body.

After all let's face it, if heat pumps were a better solution we wouldn't need to ban the alternative, we'd just get them all installed anyway.

If you have to rely on massive subsidies and cherry picked data, your product is bad, and you should feel bad.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's similar to the one we have - in fact I think that's the only type you can have installed now.

It's the best thing we've done to the house by a country mile. I'd call it a guilty pleasure, but as our neighbours all have them and we live on a main road, I don't feel guilty in the slightest.
Yeah I have to agree, I was there over Christmas and there was nothing better than having a recliner next to this furnace, kept me nice and snug and the biggest bonus, no mess all over the place. The ashes drop through a grate into a big "ashtray" you just pull out and chuck over ya plants outside.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
BTW log burners are becoming a big problem in terms of particulate pollution, expect to see them banned in the next decade.

Hasn't man burnt wood since he learned to walk without dragging his arse across the floor? That won't happen otherwise they will need to ban bonfires, Nov 5th etc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Look at the temperature curve, over 5 degrees outside = COP of 5 and over.
1704900317268.png

At 5 degrees it's 3.3(ish) at 10 degrees it's about 3.8.

The "Best In the World" company can be averaging 5 - but not everyone can get best in world in ideal circumstances.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Our log burner and gas boiler will be removed and replaced by a glorified noisy inefficient (in a typical British winter) air conditioning unit over my dead body.

After all let's face it, if heat pumps were a better solution we wouldn't need to ban the alternative, we'd just get them all installed anyway.

If you have to rely on massive subsidies and cherry picked data, your product is bad, and you should feel bad.

Sorry Bodhi but you appear to have swallowed a lot of gas industry propaganda and don't really know what you're talking about. Sixty percent of households in Norway use heat pumps, anyone who tells you they're less efficient than gas central heating is talking out of their arse.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
View attachment 48573

At 5 degrees it's 3.3(ish) at 10 degrees it's about 3.8.

The "Best In the World" company can be averaging 5 - but not everyone can get best in world in ideal circumstances.

The red dots represent installations undertaken by Heat Geek, who appear to know what they're doing. A lot of the blue dots will be suboptimal installations by people who don't.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hasn't man burnt wood since he learned to walk without dragging his arse across the floor? That won't happen otherwise they will need to ban bonfires, Nov 5th etc.

We generally stopped burning things in the home for warmth in the 1950s and 60s, with clean air acts. Wood burning stoves are a fashion accessory.

Bodhi

Sorry Bodhi but you appear to have swallowed a lot of gas industry propaganda and don't really know what you're talking about. Sixty percent of households in Norway use heat pumps, anyone who tells you they're less efficient than gas central heating is talking out of their arse.

Considering your proof for how awesome heat pumps are is from a company that sells heat pumps I'll look at your propaganda comment and have a good chuckle.

Norway also isn't really comparable, due to their abundant hydro power, different climate and resulting different housing stock.

Bodhi

Even better, if you work for Drax you can burn lots of wood and call it renewable!

Just ignore the fact most of the wood is sourced from Canada and shipped across to us.

The other great thing about log burners is just how much you can trigger greenies sitting shivering in their houses waiting for their heat pumps to warm the house up.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Considering your proof for how awesome heat pumps are is from a company that sells heat pumps I'll look at your propaganda comment and have a good chuckle.

Norway also isn't really comparable, due to their abundant hydro power, different climate and resulting different housing stock.

Where's your proof for how poor heat pumps are, if not the gas industry?

Norway is known to be generally cold, much colder than here. I've been there about 10 times in the last 10 years, I know the place reasonably well. And as I've just said, sixty percent of households there use heat pumps. Not hydro - heat pumps. They run on exactly the same type of electricity we get in the UK. Not some special Norwegian electricity that involves moose. And their houses may be different, but that just means at worse someone in the UK specifies a higher powered heat pump.

You know that before you install any heating system, you should perform a heat loss calculation to guide that choice, don't you? If you don't, you end up with the situation we have in the UK, with houses that have massively over-specced gas boilers chugging away with no optimisation and householders paying way too much each month.

Bodhi

It's on the graph above. Once you get down to the temperatures where you really need the heating on like we have now the COP falls off a cliff.

Shows how good they are when the propaganda for it point out the glaring flaws with the technology.

I also know Norway fairly well, having been a few times myself and having Norwegian in-laws. It is indeed colder, but humidity is much lower so far less damp issues than we have over here with our island climate. It's one of the many reasons why a lot of our housing stock was designed to be draughty.

And yes they use the same electricity as well. Slow clap for missing the point though. They have lots of reliable hydro powered electricity to run them. We're likely to have windmills which stop turning when it gets really cold - useful when your heat pump is drawing more power as it isn't working very well.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There's so much ignorance in that post I don't know where to begin, but you're too stubborn to pay attention to facts so I won't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom