SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's $130 because stupid people will buy a turd with an apple sticker on it.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's $130 because stupid people will buy a turd with an apple sticker on it.

Not saying I disagree with the sentiment, guys, but have you watched the video? It IS some serious engineering. I hate Apple as much as the next guys (possibly more) but credit where it's due, I say.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
(Was playing Forge of Empires, and two ppl in my guild were arguing about how much a donkey poops in a day. As you do)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
(Was playing Forge of Empires, and two ppl in my guild were arguing about how much a donkey poops in a day. As you do)
Heh, my younger sister popped in today with her kids and my brother's son. Was talking and I, in casual passing, said

"I am shitting so much I block the toilet everytime I go, all because I am eating so much food to try and gain weight and strength". She just smiled bless her.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Google's call screening is pretty fun to watch "Please state your name and purpose for calling"
*the call was disconnected
Best feature on my Pixel 7 Pro by miles, especially alongside the business lookup it does

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I might order one. One of my biggest complaints about previous versions was that the Pi didn't come with a real time clock. Seems like they now have one in the v5.
They're getting expensive and noisy now though, I bought a cheap mini PC for WFH so the gaming rig wasn't chewing through power to run an RDP session, was probably twice as much but it's x86, inbuilt storage, TPM, regular bios / RTC, came with windows, etc. and still passively cooled. If it could have been powered by USB-C, I probably would have replaced my Pi's with it then and there.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
They're getting expensive and noisy now though, I bought a cheap mini PC for WFH so the gaming rig wasn't chewing through power to run an RDP session, was probably twice as much but it's x86, inbuilt storage, TPM, regular bios / RTC, came with windows, etc. and still passively cooled. If it could have been powered by USB-C, I probably would have replaced my Pi's with it then and there.

What did you go for?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Can you install Win10 on it?

I won't allow 11 in the house.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can you install Win10 on it?

I won't allow 11 in the house.
Honestly haven't tried as it came with Win 11 and once I turned off all that "in the middle" shit on the taskbar, I've not been bothered enough to get rid. I generally see windows long enough to remote into work, launch word or open firefox, that's it.

Most exotic thing it does is I couldn't be arsed to turn on the gaming rig the other day so I put Steam on and ran Star Trek Infinite. Bit slow to load (no surprise given the CPU) but perfectly playable.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I get a pop up now and then saying add blockers aren't allowed on YouTube. 10-15 seconds later I can X out of it. If they hadn't made adds so obnoxious I would be OK with setting through 10-15 seconds now and then, but 2 minute unstoppable ads in the middle of a video, I'm blocking the hell out of that. It was always the plan though. Head of YouTube was quoted saying "bombard the users with so many ads that going premium is the only choice". Guess he forgot about add-blockers.

Many or most ad-blockers do not work withim Youtube, as you’ll be locked out. I’m using Brave browser, think it’s a version of Chrome with built in ad-block that is not detected as an ad-blocker. It’s great!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
For one moment I was tempted to go buy a Raspberry Pi. All that computing power in a machine with no case or cooling fan the size of a credit card. Well that won't over heat. I just need to attach a mouse, a keyboard, a screen, some speakers. Hang on. Wouldn't it be amazing if you could get all that in one self-contained box without a million cables littering your desk. Someone needs to invent the laptop...

JK

I know nothing about them. Why would you get one ? Genuine question. The last thing I want is more cables over my desk. A PC for £80 is cheap. Are they actually any good ? Do I need one ? All I use my laptop for is internet, media, and MS Office. I do a ton of Excel. I need at least half a TB of storage. Can you get that on a Pi ?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It is more about the tinkering for me. Also, very portable. I use the PIs for NTP (two of them have satellite dongles attached to receive time from multiple satellites). They are my preferred NTP servers. I did that a few years ago as a POC.

I also have one being used as a TV Headend and has my old aerial connected to it, again more of a tinkering job. They are versatile and so many applications for them. Just get a cheap PI 4 and play, your imagination really is the limit.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Maybe I'll get one and have a tinker then
I've got at least one of each version, the other thing is they are LOW power, like a lot less than a lightbulb.

I am currently building a tower "rack" to put all my PIs in so it is tidier.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What the actual fuck? Is it April 1st? Not watched the video but really? $130 for a USB-C cable?

Well it's a Thunderbolt cable, it just looks like any other USB-C cable. FWIW I don't have any Apple products other than an old ipad pro, but after watching the video I don't think it's a lot to pay. At work the editors use Apple laptops and when you're transferring massive video files all day long, you need it to be fast and 100% guaranteed. And in TV 130 dollars isn't even worth blinking about.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I know nothing about them. Why would you get one ? Genuine question. The last thing I want is more cables over my desk. A PC for £80 is cheap. Are they actually any good ? Do I need one ? All I use my laptop for is internet, media, and MS Office. I do a ton of Excel. I need at least half a TB of storage. Can you get that on a Pi ?
Since I no longer use a Linux machine at home I use mine to act as my DHCP, NTP and DNS (Pi Hole) server. It's an older model so I can't use it for Kodi + 4K media.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
For one moment I was tempted to go buy a Raspberry Pi. All that computing power in a machine with no case or cooling fan the size of a credit card. Well that won't over heat. I just need to attach a mouse, a keyboard, a screen, some speakers. Hang on. Wouldn't it be amazing if you could get all that in one self-contained box without a million cables littering your desk. Someone needs to invent the laptop...

JK

I wouldn't use a Pi as a desktop/laptop but I have one that I used to use to sign requests for an app (it needed to run a shared library that was only compiled for ARM). It was a Pi 3 iirc and it had the PoE addon so I only needed an ethernet cable going to it and I could control it via VNC from another machine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not saying I disagree with the sentiment, guys, but have you watched the video? It IS some serious engineering. I hate Apple as much as the next guys (possibly more) but credit where it's due, I say.
Nah. It's not equivalent to the engineering in, for example, a 1Tb m2 SSD - which you can get for less than half the price of a fucking cable.

Engineering of this kind is cheap. Apple are profiteering.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I give you...

Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : c04170
Serial : c1b0f42b0b93acc7
Model : Raspberry Pi 5 Model B Rev 1.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom