SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I didn't ignore it. Absolutely we could one-way things. One-waying "closes the road off" - at least in one direction - so it's kind of a halfway house shitness which stops 50% of the traffic, and gives none of the benefits of leaving them open to residents but through-traffic free - a "half rat-run". It's literally the worst of both worlds.

I'm struggling to find what your actual objection is really m8. Are you so wedded to the car that residential or side roads *must* be open to cars from not that area?

It seems like a no-brainer tbh. Very little to lose, lots to gain. So again, what is your actual objection?
Same as it was before, I guess you're struggling to remember as well as find.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Same as it was before, I guess you're struggling to remember as well as find.
I mean:
Nope, if people want LTN status then they should be funded through increased tax on those streets. Why should those who live on busy roads be subjected to even more vehicles so others can live more quiet lives?
That's weak as fuck. And.

You don't get a healthier heart by blocking arteries, there are other ways to manage rat runs
You don't get a healthier population by making them breathe in pollutants that have been proven to harm and by making them too scared to exercise.

LTN funded by "extra tax"? Or a couple of planters that block through traffic. You can have a LTN for 500 quid. I feel you're not being really honest.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Funny how you ignored that other main option of one way streets

One-way streets in urban areas increase driver confidence and consequently, vehicle speeds. They tend to make streets more dangerous for vulnerable road users.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I mean:

You don't get a healthier population by making them breathe in pollutants that have been proven to harm and by making them too scared to exercise.

LTN funded by "extra tax"? Or a couple of planters that block through traffic. You can have a LTN for 500 quid. I feel you're not being really honest.
You're assuming anyone in a car is unhealthy to make your arguement, weak as fuck.

Your feelings are your problem, they're also bullshit because who the fuck had the time to come here and lie about something like LTNs. I await your next pointless attention seeking barb.
:rolleyes:

One-way streets in urban areas increase driver confidence and consequently, vehicle speeds. They tend to make streets more dangerous for vulnerable road users.
If I didn't watch, some didn't read, from the link:

There’s only one poor quality piece of research about one way streets, which suggested they are no more or less safe than a two way street. The study was based on a stratified sample of national data, rather than a high quality before / after study methodology with controls. This study has limited use in establishing if any given street would be any more or less safe if it is one way or two way.
References
Summersgill, I. & Layfield, R. (1996) Non-junction accidents on urban single-carriageway roads (TRL183). Transport Research Laboratory. Crowthorne, UK.

You're also negating the possibility of using speed calming on a one way street.

Also as the site explains you can often introduce better cycle provision due to the lessening of the space required for vehicles it's also sometimes possible to retaining dual direction for cyclists.

But then that's why I posted the link, it's not my opinion and again my point is one size fits all doesn't work.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're assuming anyone in a car is unhealthy to make your arguement
No I'm not. I drive myself. I could be fitter and healthier though - and certainly became that way when I started to drive less and move more.

It's utterly unarguable that driving less, moving more, is better for health and the environment. Less traffic is safer and healthier for everyone. Proximity to traffic is measurably unhealthy - to the point that if you live near a busy road at rush hour you're more likely to have a heart attack. Kids get hit by cars - and safer less-traffic neighbourhoods are a public good.

And all you've got is "I want to drive around residential neighbourhoods". That's it. Nothing else. Just "I want to drive where I've no real business being, despite there being other routes".

Bring some benefits to your argument Meg. Other than "I want to drive there".

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I mean:

It's the reality where I used to live though. Parts of East Dulwich were an LTN which was lovely for those roads blocked off by planters, but for the thousands of us living on Lordship Lane it was shite because the road was permanent gridlock. Shops on the high street were actually campaigning against it in the end because they were losing footfall as the high street became a really unpleasant place to be.

Not staying that will be the case everywhere but it was a bit of a disaster in Dulwich. Proximity to the South Circular probably didn't help.

Last edited:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's the reality where I used to live though. Parts of East Dulwich were an LTN which was lovely for those roads blocked off by planters, but for the thousands of us living on Lordship Lane it was shite because the road was permanent gridlock. Shops on the high street were actually campaigning against it in the end because they were losing footfall as the high street became a really unpleasant place to be.
No no no, that can't be right Aoami, because an idea works everywhere, we can't have multiple options!!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
we can't have multiple options!!!
I don't recall ever saying that? If I did, then sorry, I was mistaken.

Did you at any point say "I tell you what, that's probably a good idea in some places", btw? Or did you say "no, make them pay more tax"?

Just checkin'

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Searched for British Business Bank. Apparently "BBB" also means Big Bouncing Boobs

(could be my browser settings...must filter out banking in future)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
road was permanent gridlock

Too many people driving. For the last 10 years or so that issue has been hidden by the fact that many drivers, aided by phone navigation, were filtering through side streets and residential neighbourhoods to reach their destinations. This isn't what those streets were designed to do. It's why we have wider, more capable "main" roads - because they're the main route people should be using. You close residential streets off to rat running and the problem instantly reveals itself, at least until people realise and change their behaviour.

Let me put it this way, look at this graph, direct from the government. Look at the trend. If main roads are "grid locked" (I hate that term) now, what does anyone think will happen to all roads if no action is taken to stop this trend? With no action, that's what we're facing - epic traffic jams everywhere. And those levels of traffic will further discourage people who could walk or cycle, from not driving, because the roads will remain scary. Is that what you want?

E9yUYUdXMAQBGhW.jpg

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Just for the record, I'm very pro people not driving, and pro LTN in general (I don't drive myself, unlike you so called eco warriors ;)), I was giving an example of why it didn't work where I lived.

I personally cycle or walk pretty much everywhere, always have. Having this baby has made things slightly more difficult, I have to admit.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Saw this at the RAH tonight, live orchestra, very good

Attachments

• IMG20220529175527.jpg
    IMG20220529175527.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bringing back imperial units?

1386px-English_Length_Units_Graph.svg.png

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Inch, foot, yard and obviously yard are all still used, and the odd pound and ounce in cooking, depending on the recipe. The rest are all a thing of the past. What a waste of time. Will appeal to the terminally stupid though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah. My sister's kids all work automatically in metric now. So much easier in base 10.

I understand miles on an emotional level - how a journey is going to feel. Don't feel the same about kilometers. But metric is a monumentally superior system.

I just built a 5m x 2.5m (ish) run for the geese. Trying to measure that up and do the maths in my head in inches and feet would have been really fucking annoying. American youtube channels are the pits because of that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I can work with both, but use mm for the most part.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yeah. My sister's kids all work automatically in metric now. So much easier in base 10.

I understand miles on an emotional level - how a journey is going to feel. Don't feel the same about kilometers. But metric is a monumentally superior system.

I just built a 5m x 2.5m (ish) run for the geese. Trying to measure that up and do the maths in my head in inches and feet would have been really fucking annoying. American youtube channels are the pits because of that.

I still convert KMs to miles in my head as I'm driving. Its the last imperial holdout in my brain.
I can still do most of the other conversions, but I longer feel the need to.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I still convert KMs to miles in my head as I'm driving. Its the last imperial holdout in my brain.
I can still do most of the other conversions, but I longer feel the need to.
I could never convert - never bothered learning how. I work on a weird hybrid metric-miles model.

I measure mountains in feet tho. 3560ft is way better than 1084m ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I could never convert - never bothered learning how. I work on a weird hybrid metric-miles model.

I measure mountains in feet tho. 3560ft is way better than 1084m ;)

Divide by eight, multiply by five.

I don't do it as much as I used to, but I always had maths going on in my head; not even for a reason most of the time, just multiplication, division and percentages, but like white noise, I'd do sums in my head just waiting for the bus. Its probably some OCD thing. In the car, literally every time I see a KM sign to my destination, I'll just divide and multiply. Can't help it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Divide by eight, multiply by five.

I don't do it as much as I used to, but I always had maths going on in my head; not even for a reason most of the time, just multiplication, division and percentages, but like white noise, I'd do sums in my head just waiting for the bus. Its probably some OCD thing. In the car, literally every time I see a KM sign to my destination, I'll just divide and multiply. Can't help it.
Definitely an OCD thing :)

Divide by eiiii..... ah fuck it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom