SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I hope very much rail workers are paid well. Its a dangerous job. And I think the drivers do a little more than start and stop. They're as important as a pilot (remember that aircraft can land themselves on autopilot but I doubt you'd want rid of them).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tories are cunts:

He therefore announced what he called a “temporary, targeted energy profits levy” of 25% - but with a 90% tax relief for firms that invest in oil and gas extraction in the UK.

So, more oil and gas. And renewables have stalled in the last couple of years (they were making near 20% gains per annum but that's fallen to I think 2-3% from what I read the other day - and apparently they're going to punitively tax electricity generators - including wind).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I'm binning the car next week (mostly) and cycling to work, bugger doing the shopping without it though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No idea about your personal circumstances but for shopping I hitch a Burley Travoy to a very tatty old bike and do it on that. If you have bigger shops, you could just buy an e-cargo bike, or trike. They're very cheap when compared to a car. BTW if you do your shopping on a bike you're far more likely to use other shops on your way back, because you don't have to fanny around parking up.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
They're really good, I recently used one to take a load of rubble to the tip (you can hire them around here, from the Cargoroo app).

A plus is that motorists aren't used to seeing them and therefore give you a wide berth. Which is just as well because they'd cause some serious damage to a car...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The future. This video describes exactly what needs to be done to our urban roads to enable more active travel:

View: https://twitter.com/simonobtv1/status/1529502046822572035

Nope, if people want LTN status then they should be funded through increased tax on those streets. Why should those who live on busy roads be subjected to even more vehicles so others can live more quiet lives?

You don't get a healthier heart by blocking arteries, there are other ways to manage rat runs

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nope, if people want LTN status then they should be funded through increased tax on those streets. Why should those who live on busy roads be subjected to even more vehicles so others can live more quiet lives?
If we can improve life and health for the majority, a minority is going to have to suck it up short term. And as less people use cars for short journeys those temporarily busy roads will become less busy - as the point is made in the vid.

Can I ask - do you live on a "main road" Meg?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm binning the car next week (mostly) and cycling to work, bugger doing the shopping without it though.

I don't drive so do all the shopping by bike. I just use a big rucksack and go once a week ish.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Why should those who live on busy roads be subjected to even more vehicles so others can live more quiet lives?

The premise of that question is incorrect. Traffic diverted onto main roads evaporates, as the film explains.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Embattle funnied that - but the mechanism is - as people start to use their cars less for short journeys, the traffic on the main roads settles back down to normal - i.e. no change.

So it doesn't "evaporate" - but the traffic-free neighbourhoods brings about the desired change - less car use, more walking and biking.

Honestly, if people actually watched the videos people posted....

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Traffic not only redirects to main roads, but it redirects to different parts of the day. For example, the person who wanted to go to the supermarket at 0830 now looks at the giant queue of traffic on the main road (mostly from school runs) and thinks "nah I'll go at 1100 instead). Or better still, now the road they live on has no ratrunners, they decide to get the bike out of the shed and cycle the mile or so to the supermarket instead. And they stop at a local shop or two on the way back. Maybe they get some lunch, because the high street that used to be choked with noise and fumes is, as the film shows, lovely and quiet now.

Or maybe they just post on social media about how unfair it is they can no longer drive through a housing estate to get a pasty.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Talking of cars.. Our car has officially been denoted as "Fucked." - Took it to a garage and 1h after leaving they called me back and said what was wrong with it and didn't charge us for the work. It's still drivable and would pass a MOT but it's not worth spending ANY money on.

Off to look at some hatchbacks next week.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dunno why you find that funny @Embattle. It's what actually happens in real life.
Says someone who's how far away from places like say the South Circular where I would disagree that it does.

There are other ways to stop rat running without permanently cutting off perfectly usable paths.

Also again because I did watch the whole thing, it highlighted businesses making use of the new spaces, all fine and well but are they paying for that space?

More one size fits all nonsense I'm afraid.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So:
Closing the road to through traffic, or turning the road into a one-way street are two very effective ways to prevent rat running.
Which is what they've been doing here. Great!

However, general traffic calming treatments to slow traffic can also be a good deterrent.
However - speed bumps to make the roads "not worth going down" for most traffic "can also" be OK.

It's obvious the goal is "don't let anyone but residents use side roads", to make things safer for pedestrians and cyclists and lift businesses - then clearly it's preferable to create these safe, open spaces.

Well done for making @Tom's argument for me :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There are other ways to stop rat running without permanently cutting off perfectly usable paths.

The streets affected are still open. All properties are still accessible by car. You just can't use them as a short cut.

I'd be interested to know what these other ways are. Traffic calming just reduces speeds, it doesn't reduce traffic volumes, which is the main issue.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
So:

Which is what they've been doing here. Great!

However - speed bumps to make the roads "not worth going down" for most traffic "can also" be OK.

It's obvious the goal is "don't let anyone but residents use side roads", to make things safer for pedestrians and cyclists and lift businesses - then clearly it's preferable to create these safe, open spaces.

Well done for making @Tom's argument for me :)
Funny how you ignored that other main option of one way streets

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Funny how you ignored that other main option of one way streets
I didn't ignore it. Absolutely we could one-way things. One-waying "closes the road off" - at least in one direction - so it's kind of a halfway house shitness which stops 50% of the traffic, and gives none of the benefits of leaving them open to residents but through-traffic free - a "half rat-run". It's literally the worst of both worlds.

I'm struggling to find what your actual objection is really m8. Are you so wedded to the car that residential or side roads *must* be open to cars from not that area?

It seems like a no-brainer tbh. Very little to lose, lots to gain. So again, what is your actual objection?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Wij
  • Syri
Top Bottom