SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Don't use lead.

Simple.

Who the hell is going to eat enough pheasant that the odd lead pellet is going to have any impact on health? And all the shotgun cartridges fired in human history aren't going to have a measurable environmental impact; certainly not compared to all the lead thrown out the back of exhaust pipes for the last century

This is motivated by people with a seriously fucked up sense of priorities

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
As for shooting tungsten down a barrel...we don't quite have adamantium barrels, yet.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If Denmark can ban lead shot in the 90's then why not the UK now?
It's just loads of excuses for nothing.

Bismuth shot
Nearly matching lead’s density Bismuth, produces very similar effects. It is softer than barrel steel, so can safely be fired with simple fibre wads for field use. It’s been used for years for wetland shooting and is very effective. Moving up one shot size is often recommended. The challenge is that it is significantly more expensive than lead.

There are alternatives as mentioned in this article:

Obviously having something with plastic should be avoided but I'm sure people can come up with a viable alternative if they tried.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Who the hell is going to eat enough pheasant that the odd lead pellet is going to have any impact on health? And all the shotgun cartridges fired in human history aren't going to have a measurable environmental impact
It's devastating the wildfowl actually. Posted on it before.

We spunk thousands of tonnes of lead over blighty every year and whilst it's not devastating to human health smaller animals are taking a hit.

And what for? We've alternatives that work - despite what the shooting lobby say (because they're used to lead and the way it acts - so maybe there's a lessening of the quality of their spread etc. but at the end of the day, tough titties - they still get to shoot if we ban lead shot).

Norway, the Netherlands, Denmark and Canada banned lead shot outright ages ago and the US banned it on federally administered land because Eagles were dying after eating poisoned duck.

Meh. We shouldn't even be arguing about this when there are less harmful alternatives. If we're not prepared to do all we can to protect nature, even the obvious easy quick-wins like this, then we're fucked.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
My line manager is the company secretary...and we don't waste our time with HR or appraisals...so OK :)
certainly explains your lack of ability to self reflect..... Just because you do not bother with appraisals does not mean it is the right thing to do to be honest...... it probably means that your boss has no clue how to give an employee an appraisal either... Not sure why you seem to think that this is something that keeps HR busy either, hr have fuck all to do with appraisals.... or what you think appraisals are used for. Mine are about my career planning on what I will do next, whether I agree with the current direction, and it is MY forum as an employee where necessary to cite examples of where peers & my management is not following the pricipals of conduct and attitudes desired by the organisation. It is a great experience when done well I actually feel sorry for you because you appear to be stuck in a rut and not really happy with your employment (judging by the amount of compalining around year end).

This has nothing to do with countrys either I have had good experiences in appraisals for a very long time and in different european countries for different companies.... When I experience employees who think they are pointless it is normally because their manager does not come with a balanced view or the manager is so far removed from their employee they are unable to fully prepare.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh. What are they for that you don't get day to day anyway?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
certainly explains your lack of ability to self reflect..... Just because you do not bother with appraisals does not mean it is the right thing to do to be honest...... it probably means that your boss has no clue how to give an employee an appraisal either... Not sure why you seem to think that this is something that keeps HR busy either, hr have fuck all to do with appraisals.... or what you think appraisals are used for. Mine are about my career planning on what I will do next, whether I agree with the current direction, and it is MY forum as an employee where necessary to cite examples of where peers & my management is not following the pricipals of conduct and attitudes desired by the organisation. It is a great experience when done well I actually feel sorry for you because you appear to be stuck in a rut and not really happy with your employment (judging by the amount of compalining around year end).

This has nothing to do with countrys either I have had good experiences in appraisals for a very long time and in different european countries for different companies.... When I experience employees who think they are pointless it is normally because their manager does not come with a balanced view or the manager is so far removed from their employee they are unable to fully prepare.

Or is so in touch with their staff that they know what is going on and which cog in the machine you are and trusts them to do their job, asking questions where needed, keeping quiet when not and rewarding outstanding performance...without the need for an annual review. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or is so in touch with their staff that they know what is going on and which cog in the machine you are and trusts them to do their job, asking questions where needed, keeping quiet when not and rewarding outstanding performance...without the need for an annual review. :)
This to be honest.

Like I said - I've never had one. They've just made 1/3rd of UK tech office staff redundant. Even those who are strong on their appraisals.

Management knows who delivers and unless you're deluded you know if you're delivering. You pay attention to company strategy and you execute without being asked. Those are the people you want/keep.

If they bin me off it'll be either political (some permies point at contractors all the time and go 'wahhhhh - they get paid more/don't 'love' the company' and sometimes management has to appease that mob), strategic (they'll decide they can get me cheaper in india or china or poland - like they have with those thousands of strong-appraisal UK employees that are out) or I'll butt up against the 2-year rule for contractors (which I definitely will sometime). But seeing as I've been in this role for 3 years already that's all the appraisal I need.

I think in the big scheme of things yearly appraisals are just a tool used to show companies are doing the right thing by their employees. But the actual right thing is to help/work with them every single day, like @Raven said.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Ye
A article I read the other day on the beeb -

I read this also and can understand it - depends how you set up your company and the expectations you have on the departments.

As for the drivvel above your post it is like the op is unable to read... appraisal != review and a good manager knows exactly what is going on in their organisation / department at all times because their staff do not shit themselves when having a yearly conversation about their aspirations and how and what they would like to be trained in in order to meet them..... as I said explains alot about how you post on this forum which is good to know to be honest....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not drivel @Yoni. It's a different way of looking at work and management.

As a contractor I don't need managing. I can see what needs doing in the organisation and role that I'm in, I know what company strategy is and the idea of having a yearly chat to set targets and decide what training I want in the next year seems ludicrous to me.

I see companies make model employees redundant and I realised very early on that the trick is to be employable - so I don't wait for a company to negotiate what skills they might find desirable and what training I should do - if I feel I've a gap I put my hand in my pocket and take some time off and go do what I think will benefit me.

I don't see that a yearly appraisal adds any value to that. None whatsoever.

I think my attitude to work and employability is healthier than most and bears out in the fact that since I left uni I've not had a gap in contract that wasn't my own choice. All in top-rated blue chip financial services and energy companies.

When I get punted out the door (or rather, not renewed) I won't blink. I'll take six months holiday and have a whale of a time, then look about and find something that suits.

There were model employees in tears this week. Brilliant appraisals, training plans and objectives always set and met. But they're staring at uncertainty and are worried.

This is the crux of it @Yoni: The very word 'appraisal' makes me cringe. I judge my own performance, I'm in control of my own direction and it's entirely my own responsibility to ensure that I'm performing well and have the skills that employers need.

If they have to sit me down once a year and appraise me and set targets with me then I'd see that as a failure on my part.

It's abundently clear that, right or wrong, companies want to use employees like disposable tools. If you see yourself as anything else then you're a fool IMO - and it's your job to keep yourself sharp.

The employer-employee relationship is not a 'partnership' - no matter what they may state publically.

I've no appetite to play that game. It's an unhealthy fantasy - as seen in the bleak teary faces of colleagues at every single workplace I've worked at when they got laid off from what they came to view as a kind of second 'home'.

Companies are cutthroat. Treat them as such and you can have a productive, realistic relationship with them - whilst protecting your own interests in the same way companies protect theirs.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Apple TV then? Broadband contract is up, and I am looking to switch to Vodafone 900mb internet, one of the deals throws in an Apple 4k box and a 1 year subscription to Apple TV, would work out about £10 extra to what I pay sky now for 65mb.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Apple TV then? Broadband contract is up, and I am looking to switch to Vodafone 900mb internet, one of the deals throws in an Apple 4k box and a 1 year subscription to Apple TV, would work out about £10 extra to what I pay sky now for 65mb.

I've watched exactly one Apple TV programme (Long Way Up) because my wife got a year's free access with her phone. I've seen fuck all else I'd be interested in except for Foundation, whenever that arrives.

To be honest, unless a streaming service is bundled on my Sky Q boxes, it doesn't get a look in.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Should add, we've got 4k sky TV atm too, and would be keeping that.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Go me!

speed.jpg

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I've watched exactly one Apple TV programme (Long Way Up) because my wife got a year's free access with her phone. I've seen fuck all else I'd be interested in except for Foundation, whenever that arrives.

To be honest, unless a streaming service is bundled on my Sky Q boxes, it doesn't get a look in.
Greyhound was good its the only thing i watched on the free year i had with my phone

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Labour being economically illiterate again.

Corporarion Tax is a tax on profits. Alan Johnson has precicely one sentence on it - towards the end, calling it "good politics".

We don't need good politics. We need good policy.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Labour being economically illiterate again.

Corporarion Tax is a tax on profits. Alan Johnson has precicely one sentence on it - towards the end, calling it "good politics".

We don't need good politics. We need good policy.

Organisations don't pay Corporation Tax - their customers do.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Organisations don't pay Corporation Tax - their customers do.
So income tax then? Or VAT? They never hit customers do they.

Corporation tax hits only profitable companies. If a company is struggling corporation tax doesn't really bother them. And at 19% our corporation tax is one of the lowest in the world.

But then, as you've never actually paid corporation tax I'm not surprised you don't really understand how it works. So I'll give you a pass.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
So income tax then? Or VAT? They never hit customers do they.

Corporation tax hits only profitable companies. If a company is struggling corporation tax doesn't really bother them. And at 19% our corporation tax is one of the lowest in the world.

But then, as you've never actually paid corporation tax I'm not surprised you don't really understand how it works. So I'll give you a pass.

You've actually paid tax? When did that happen?

Anyway, Corporation Tax is paid on profits yes - and if profits get reduced due to an increase in tax take, what do you think companies do to maintain their profit margins?

They pass the rises on to the customers. Product Pricing 101.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Anyway, Corporation Tax is paid on profits yes - and if profits get reduced due to an increase in tax take, what do you think companies do to maintain their profit margins?

They pass the rises on to the customers. Product Pricing 101.
As opposed to direct taxes on income or products - via income tax or VAT.

Come on Bodhi - how do we pay for lockdown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom