SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
16 yr olds are not like working people. Just think a min.
OK, I thought for a second.

School is meant to prepare kids for the outside world. One where apparently appraisals are a thing*. So it's a learning experience being asked to self-assess. You have to start somewhere, and school is a good place to start.

*I've never had an appraisal, ever. I do like to watch the permies shit themselves at appraisal time and pay review time whilst they jump through hoops of self-justification in the hope of getting a bigger bonus, that has already been decided upon.

Having said that, I think it'd be fun to receive an appraisal. But it'd be hard for me not to appraise "the boss" right back. Who the fuck are they to judge? :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Depends on the kid too. Overall its a pretty pointless question, the bright kids will likely have a good idea of how they are doing and the thick kids will just think they are doing well, especially in a privileged private school.

Edit, I should say non-academic kids, they are likely potentially skilled in something non-academic...not that schools cater for such skills any more.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Changing behaviour in response to terrorism is a fail, no?

What is the actual risk? I mean compare the last fifty years of terrorism to one day of Covid and tell me that terrorism is something we should give a shit about.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Changing behaviour in response to terrorism is a fail, no?

What is the actual risk? I mean compare the last fifty years of terrorism to one day of Covid and tell me that terrorism is something we should give a shit about.

Its all bullshit, its just another risk document the venue operators will shove in a drawer to pull out at audit time. Another bit of health and safety theatre so the insurance companies can avoid a payout. I also find it blackly amusing that a law is being named for a bloke killed in an attack that mostly killed teenage girls (yes I know why).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
OK, I thought for a second.

School is meant to prepare kids for the outside world. One where apparently appraisals are a thing*. So it's a learning experience being asked to self-assess. You have to start somewhere, and school is a good place to start.

*I've never had an appraisal, ever. I do like to watch the permies shit themselves at appraisal time and pay review time whilst they jump through hoops of self-justification in the hope of getting a bigger bonus, that has already been decided upon.

Having said that, I think it'd be fun to receive an appraisal. But it'd be hard for me not to appraise "the boss" right back. Who the fuck are they to judge? :)
Meh appraisals are pointless and i rarely bother much about them. Usually its just my boss emailing me saying he put everything outstanding. The company i work for dont match performance with pay much. You get a good review and still get no payrise so people pretty much ignore them here.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
It is wierd I have been managing people and doing appraisals for c.25 years and the one thing you learn very early on is that if you go to an appraisal and your employees reflection of the previous year is very very different from yours then you have not done your job as a manager throughout the year to either adjust poor performance and encourage good performance. Appraisals are not about judging an employee it is an open discussion on how he year has gone, what went well and what did not and whether the employee believes that they could have done things differently and what support they require in the future to ensure that they do not have that experience again. If your colleagues are running around shitting their pants then they are obviously trying to to hide someting. Also in modern environments appraisals are not about salary increases or bonus. Bonus are evaluated according to the objectives that have been set and generally in big organisations salary increases above and beyond the average allowed is due to an employee taking on extra workload and or responsibility.

Bonus
A decent manager & company will ensure that bonusable objectives are measurable and recorded in a cental system so there is actually no discussion at the end of the year- did you achieve the objective or not punt. In a year like CV19 where objectives change then there can be some discussion on what the employee did instead ie as a manager how smoothly did operations go after transitioning fom work to home - did your customers internal or external notice a difference in service etc etc etc.

Salaries
Consider why should anyone reciave a 20% salary increase for the same responsibilities that they had last year? If a great job was done and all objectives met by the organisation and as an individual then the remuneration tool is the bonus not salary increase above inflation.

I went to a private school and part of my report was based around self reflection ie could I do this in a meaningful way eg - could I explain why I may not have performed well or why I may have performed better than expected... this is not being about given grades it is about teaching humans that actions affect outcomes. Addtionally it is also a way for the human to understand their own capabilties is the effort that they put in generating the expected results.. if not then maybe that subject is not for them. If you have always had your mind set on being a doctor because your parents are doctors and maybe your brothers and sisters are already on the way and one puts a lot of effort in and is not seeing the results - is it not better for the child to understand that this may not be the career for them_

DaGaffer

It is wierd I have been managing people and doing appraisals for c.25 years and the one thing you learn very early on is that if you go to an appraisal and your employees reflection of the previous year is very very different from yours then you have not done your job as a manager throughout the year to either adjust poor performance and encourage good performance. Appraisals are not about judging an employee it is an open discussion on how he year has gone, what went well and what did not and whether the employee believes that they could have done things differently and what support they require in the future to ensure that they do not have that experience again. If your colleagues are running around shitting their pants then they are obviously trying to to hide someting. Also in modern environments appraisals are not about salary increases or bonus. Bonus are evaluated according to the objectives that have been set and generally in big organisations salary increases above and beyond the average allowed is due to an employee taking on extra workload and or responsibility.

Bonus
A decent manager & company will ensure that bonusable objectives are measurable and recorded in a cental system so there is actually no discussion at the end of the year- did you achieve the objective or not punt. In a year like CV19 where objectives change then there can be some discussion on what the employee did instead ie as a manager how smoothly did operations go after transitioning fom work to home - did your customers internal or external notice a difference in service etc etc etc.

Salaries
Consider why should anyone reciave a 20% salary increase for the same responsibilities that they had last year? If a great job was done and all objectives met by the organisation and as an individual then the remuneration tool is the bonus not salary increase above inflation.

I went to a private school and part of my report was based around self reflection ie could I do this in a meaningful way eg - could I explain why I may not have performed well or why I may have performed better than expected... this is not being about given grades it is about teaching humans that actions affect outcomes. Addtionally it is also a way for the human to understand their own capabilties is the effort that they put in generating the expected results.. if not then maybe that subject is not for them. If you have always had your mind set on being a doctor because your parents are doctors and maybe your brothers and sisters are already on the way and one puts a lot of effort in and is not seeing the results - is it not better for the child to understand that this may not be the career for them_

I detest appraisals. Best job I ever had I reported direct to the CEO and his take on appraisals was "if you're fucking up I'll tell you". Didn't do appraisal in five years, it was brilliant. And yes, if I was fucking up, he told me.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Bonus

Salaries

We have had no bonus either. So its meh, maybe you as a manager get something from it but me as a managed person do not. Its never changed the way i work or what i do.

oh and no one is expecting a 20% pay rise. But if the company is flush with cash (mine is) and its making billions every year (mine does) i would expect an inflation matching pay rise if my performance was adequate ( always more than adequate).

the accepted way to equalise your self with your market value in my company is to leave for a year or so and get re hired. Which i did 5 years ago. Starting in it straight from uni meant my salary was way behind most people doing the same job as me Who had moved / joined more recently.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I detest appraisals. Best job I ever had I reported direct to the CEO and his take on appraisals was "if you're fucking up I'll tell you". Didn't do appraisal in five years, it was brilliant. And yes, if I was fucking up, he told me.
Exactly this

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Appraisals are the biggest waste of time going, unless someone is proper shit at their job. Closest I get to an appraisal if maybe being set an objective if i've asked for a big pay rise.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Shouldn't have to wait for a once in a year meeting to know if you are fucking up or doing well.

Yoni

We have had no bonus either. So its meh, maybe you as a manager get something from it but me as a managed person do not. Its never changed the way i work or what i do.

oh and no one is expecting a 20% pay rise. But if the company is flush with cash (mine is) and its making billions every year (mine does) i would expect an inflation matching pay rise if my performance was adequate ( always more than adequate).

the accepted way to equalise your self with your market value in my company is to leave for a year or so and get re hired. Which i did 5 years ago. Starting in it straight from uni meant my salary was way behind most people doing the same job as me Who had moved / joined more recently.
if you worked in a civilised country then you would get a cost of living rise every year ....oO :p

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
They don't need to make them visible. They only have to make speeding cameras visible. They are on nearly every bridge.

Speed cameras only have to be painted yellow, they don't have to be visible, it was suggested by the DfT that is 'should' make them easier to see them, but pretty sure I've seen tons that arn't, mobile ones dont need to be in a slightest bit visible, often cameras are hard to be seen due to the positioning in relation to setting/rising sun etc.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Appraisals without a monetary bonus just end up feeling like a replacement for the money....in essence a head patting exercise.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Me too I detest them.
As with what @Yoni said though there should really be communication all the time so when you do come to your appraisal time nothing is a surprise or unexpected.
You should be getting and giving feedback on a very regular basis.

So no real need for an appraisal really. Whenever I have mine I don't have much to say as I have already said it during the year. It's just a box that needs ticking to say it's been done.

DaGaffer

Appraisals without a monetary bonus just end up feeling like a replacement for the money....in essence a head patting exercise.

HR Theatre.

Best way to get more money these days is change jobs, and as they delayer more and more in most companies it will become pretty much the only way...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
HR Theatre.

Best way to get more money these days is change jobs, and as they delayer more and more in most companies it will become pretty much the only way...
It was the only way by early 2000s in Banking in IT.

Apart from the odd arse-licker.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Me too I detest them.
As with what @Yoni said though there should really be communication all the time so when you do come to your appraisal time nothing is a surprise or unexpected.
You should be getting and giving feedback on a very regular basis.

So no real need for an appraisal really. Whenever I have mine I don't have much to say as I have already said it during the year. It's just a box that needs ticking to say it's been done.
Just HR justifying their existence.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Bonus

Salaries

Totally @Yoni. This is how it works in most of the big corporates.

What yawnsome twaddle :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It gives pointless middle managers and HR departments something to do :)

Yoni

Well I am very glad that I am not HR or a “middle” manager or I would be terribly board oO..... all this does is show me why crappy companies you all work for oO

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My line manager is the company secretary...and we don't waste our time with HR or appraisals...so OK :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
This shit annoys me

How the fuck else are they going to kill them?

If you buy pheasant, pick the shot out before cooking ffs.
They want them to use steel shot rather than lead. Donno about the difference in gun performance. But it must be better than spraying lead all over the shop.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Except shooting steel down a steel barrel will destroy the barrel.

Copper works, to a point but there is a reason why bullets, pellets and shot are lead.

And even then, crunching down on a bit of copper is not going to be good for you.

Edit, I have tried copper in my rifles, and it's just not as accurate as lead...now obviously that isn't as much of a concern with shot guns...but still, chew your food with any shot in, lose teeth.

Last edited:

Embattle

FH is my second home
This shit annoys me

How the fuck else are they going to kill them?

If you buy pheasant, pick the shot out before cooking ffs.

Well we seem to do a fairly good job down here in Devon using Michelins....although any tyre will suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom