SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Ive just learned that you could stick two lamps together.

Job

So ultra woke channel The Cut released a video of a 100 ',black' people on why they thought white people are superior.

Its obviously an oddly framed question, depending on wether they take it as do they believe they are or do you think they are.

Of course it soon gets farcical as a run of white activists start chiming in to tell black people what to think.

There some truths, but the only real truth is the last few who simply said 'they arent'.

Its age restricted, heres a streamable copy.

View: https://streamable.com/cbtbpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK - I need an unlimited SIM for home broadband. Any recommendations? It doesn't seem straightforward to get hold of a SIM-only unlimited broadband sub without all the hardware gubbins being piled into their subs but I just want the network access.

(I've got one of these winging its way to me and I've managed to get Wales to pay for it and a high gain antenna!)

Of course, I've no 5G here - but 4GLTE should give me about 70mbps - my phone can get that if I take it upstairs :)

I think Tmobile (EE) own the local tower.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The EE SIM Only deals are normally pretty good - not the absolute cheapest out there, but easily have the best network and most reliable connection. My personal phone is on EE and my work phone on Voda, I'll always use the personal one if I need some decent download speeds.

Only thing is they don't look to do an unlimited Data SIM - highest they go to is 50Gb a month. They do Unlimited Phone SIMs, no idea if one of those would work?

IIRC Virgin Media use EE for their network also, might be worth investigating?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've been looking for proper unlimited (or at least 400+ GB pcm) data contracts in France and they just don't seem to exist over here yet, at least not for non-stupid money.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's what I'm thinking @Bodhi - I don't know whether a mobile sim will work in a router (I'll find out tomorrow - I can pop my mobile sim and stick it in).

50Gb would suck balls - I want to go with EE as they own the mast. Virgin are apparently going to change who they resell next year otherwise I'd ask them.

It's a bit rich that they differentiate tbh - it's a connection to a network. Who can live on 50Gb? I use that in two days on videoconferencing alone!

Bodhi

That's what I'm thinking @Bodhi - I don't know whether a mobile sim will work in a router (I'll find out tomorrow - I can pop my mobile sim and stick it in).

50Gb would suck balls - I want to go with EE as they own the mast. Virgin are apparently going to change who they resell next year otherwise I'd ask them.

It's a bit rich that they differentiate tbh - it's a connection to a network. Who can live on 50Gb? I use that in two days on videoconferencing alone!

I suspect it's stop cannibalisation of their Home Broadband offering by people doing it all over 4G. Will generate similar revenue to fixed lines, but I can imagine the costs that EE take on for 4G are much higher than fixed lines. Add in the fact that BT now own 4G I can see why it's done.

Not that I agree with it in the slightest - especially considering 5G has been touted as a way to do without fixed lines. Although as anyone who has used 5G will probably gather, that is complete and utter fantasy at this point.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not that I agree with it in the slightest - especially considering 5G has been touted as a way to do without fixed lines. Although as anyone who has used 5G will probably gather, that is complete and utter fantasy at this point.
I dunno. Just did a speed test from my mobile - 86mbps. That's 4G LTE.

If 5G only gives you the same (because distance from the tower or something) then it's still better than the lowest-tier hard fibre from Virgin. :)

Job

One of the unlimited sim plans I looked at had 1000gb as the limit in the small print, after that they would ask you to change to business plan.

It was one of the big four..maybe three?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
3 does have that, but it's not a "limit" as such. It's a soft cap, and if you go over it, they'll look at your account to make sure you're not doing anything dodgy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
3 doesn't support LTE carrier aggregation which is a PITA as the speeds I'd get through them would be pish.

Virgin won't let me have their unlimited package because I'm not a broadband customer (have been for over a decade and only cancelled it last month).

EE cap at 100Gb. Which is completely inadequate (I'd use that on videoconferencing alone).

It's looking like the mobile broadband landscape is pretty fucking gash. Which I don't get.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
3 doesn't support LTE carrier aggregation which is a PITA as the speeds I'd get through them would be pish.

Virgin won't let me have their unlimited package because I'm not a broadband customer (have been for over a decade and only cancelled it last month).

EE cap at 100Gb. Which is completely inadequate (I'd use that on videoconferencing alone).

It's looking like the mobile broadband landscape is pretty fucking gash. Which I don't get.
Non of them like unlimited. 3 are supposed to be the data heavy one. Not sure what lte aggregation is.

really shouldnt be a issue Giving an unlimited connection. Do they have business ones which are unlimited?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Non of them like unlimited.
It'll be money.

We demand unlimited data through fiber and get it. We should get it through mobile now too. It's all running off the same backbone.

But if they can charge more, they will.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Carrier aggregation @Moriath - you can use multiple 4G bands together.

Vodafone don't offer it here - I get 15mbps up and down on my Samsung Galaxy S10. However, virgin/EE do - and I get 80mbps down and 15 up.

So really I want virgin or EE to give me a fucking SIM. But it's proving harder than necessary. :eek:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Carrier aggregation @Moriath - you can use multiple 4G bands together.

Vodafone don't offer it here - I get 15mbps up and down on my Samsung Galaxy S10. However, virgin/EE do - and I get 80mbps down and 15 up.

So really I want virgin or EE to give me a fucking SIM. But it's proving harder than necessary. :eek:
you or the missus dont have family with virgin and piggy back off their contracts to get the sim?

Bodhi

It'll be money.

We demand unlimited data through fiber and get it. We should get it through mobile now too. It's all running off the same backbone.

But if they can charge more, they will.

Backbone is the same, however the limitation is the bit in the middle, the masts/transmitters etc. The more people you have connected to them, the less throughput available for everyone - hence why getting a data connection at stuff like Glastonbury etc used to be so much fun.

Again, don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is.

However, as part of my job we do look at what connectivity various factories in the UK use, and having 4G for backup purposes is not entirely unheard of, so solutions must be out there. I would have thought EE Business would have some more fully featured plans, but looking at it, they are even less generous than the Personal ones....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Backbone is the same, however the limitation is the bit in the middle, the masts/transmitters etc. The more people you have connected to them, the less throughput available for everyone - hence why getting a data connection at stuff like Glastonbury etc used to be so much fun.
It's a crap reason though - that's about speed, not about total amount of data transmitted.

They could have a million people getting 1kbps, but if you download more than 1Tb a month then that should be fine.

It's ability to charge because of the "woo" of putting a signal across the air.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Spent aaaaages on the line with EE. They have a page saying £35/month unlimited. Said that I could use it in my router, "no problems".

Then they said they could only find £37/month and the lass was really apologetic - even though they could see it on screen.

Disappeared off for ten minutes, came back, said they were going to do it for £31.

£6/month is a free pissup a year. So I can live with that :)

Now, lets see if it really does work with the router!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Now, lets see if it really does work with the router!
FWIW I put my Orange mobile sim in my 4G router (TP Link Archer MR600) and it connected straight away. There are apparently sometimes profiles and things to deal with but this worked out of the box.

Job

Theres a big problem with vodafone, they push you down to 3G and theres fuck all bandwith left for it, getting 200kb in heavy use areas, trying to force 4G, my phone doesnt let me pick 4G only, Im not sure if iphones or later androids let you do that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Interested to see what the ladies (pretty much only @Yoni's left!) on this forum think of this:

Women doing more unpaid work around the house due to corona - and I look down the list and, whilst absolutely I agree that women do more of the housework in general this sort of stuff:

"My mind is always thinking about things he doesn't think about like the grocery list, our son's first birthday, whether we should take family photos for the holidays, or scheduling a Zoom hangout with friends," she says.
Sons birthday? Family photos? Scheduling a zoom hangout?

They're not chores. Those are optional things that she wants to occupy her time with.

If putting together a birthday party for he son is something she wants to do then she can't claim that as a chore. If women choose to drive that sort of shit, then fine. But don't then complain about it. Family photos? These are things that women in general take a lot more notice of (my o/h doesn't give a shit about family photos - I'm the one who records our life). One of my mates' wives organises a proper professional family photo every 5 years - but that's not a chore, thats what she wants to do with her life.

Walking the dog? What did you think you wouldn't have to walk it when you bought it? That's not a chore - that's a hobby, a break. It's a break you have to do, but when you bought the dog you chose that lifestyle.

If your hubby isn't doing his fair share of bedtime stories then absolutely that's something women are doing more than men - but then, a chore? That's the life you've chosen ffs! You can't then complain that the life you've chosen doesn't allow you to sit about watching netflix. (And you must force an equitable split if your partner's being a dick with agreements they've made).

My other half pretty much won't let me cook. She really loves cooking and will happily spend two (plus) hours a night in the kitchen using every single pot, pan and utensil we own cooking something brilliant, fresh and new. I eat like a king and it's provided to me. But that's not a chore - that's her hobby.

Given the choice, I'd cook a big fuck off chilli (the way I do it takes a couple of days) and pretty much eat that for the next week. It'd involve one big pan and whatever plates we need to dish it up to. So very little washing up (her only objection is that I don't do enough washing up - my objection is that if she must cook using every single thing as part of her hobby it's not right that I should be tidying up for her hobby all the time - I don't ask her to clean, maintain and buy parts / service our bikes or bike equipment, that's clearly my job). (Not that I do no washing up - I do).

There's a piece in there about the woman being jealous that her husband goes into an office and concentrates on his work all day whilst she does the odds and sods and fits work in between.

Is that not a life choice? Could she not choose to do a job that requires retreating into an office all day? If, between the two of them, they've agreed that he does the main breadwinning and she does a higher proportion of childcare work that's not a woman's emancipation issue - that's a life choice.

Even if they wanted kids and he refused to give up his working practices, she still had choices and she still chose to have kids with him, chose to work like that rather than sorting alternative arrrangements - alternative arrangements also potentially being finding a partner who was happy to find a more equitable (but potentially less lucrative) solution to that problem.

Amongst my friends and family many of the women don't like their jobs. I'm not surprised - a lot of the men hate their jobs too. But the women that have dropped down to three days a week or decided that they're not going to work - these women complain the loudest about how busy they are and how much they have to do and how little time they have to fit anything in between the cooking and the cleaning and the kids.

The women I know who work five days a week don't say that. They just crack on. And I've only ever met one man who left work to bring up his kids. He was a total wet blanket but he was one of the happiest people I ever met - the rest of the men I know don't realistically see that as an option. The fact that many women's desires to step down to 3 days a week are accomodated without issue isn't seen as a massive luxury or benefit - it's just taken for granted.

Why am I bothering with this text wall? Well - I think the debate about equality (certainly in the western world, lets exclude the African continent and other countries - where it's clear the differences are quite stark) has become so polarised and so focussed on where women are losing out to men, that there's no balance on where women benefit.

I'm not saying it's perfect but I think that women's life choices are much freer than mens. Less judgement is placed on women who want to prioritise different things than 24/7 work. I think, in many ways, women have more choice than men.

Women in our organisation have kids and boost through the glass ceiling if they want to. Some don't have kids - some do. But it doesn't look like the kids are a barrier - it looks like whether they want to burn up so much of their life in stressful jobs are the barrier. Men seem to be compelled to say that they're ambitious or they get looked down on - even if they don't naturally hold that ambition. (Stating that you don't want to go for that promotion and your happy where you are seems to be a one-way ticket to the redundancy line).

You could point at metrics (number of women in executive positions, number of women in lower paid positions, wage stats, etc.) - which paint a "there's less women executives", "more women in lower paid part-time work" - well shit. I'm absolutely behind that there's definitely structural issues with the number of executives and minorities in exec positions and think it's right that we are taking action to fix those things.

But in the day-to-day, non-executive "normal" world of work - a lot of part time positions are chosen not because there's no good work out there - but because five days a week is shit, and three suits some people better.

Again, for the avoidance of doubt, I do think there are imbalances. But we're doing quite well in the western world, so recognising that there are serious issues for the work and quality of life for members of either sex (or penguins) seems to me to be the next leap we need to make.

For me, I now think we really need to be looking at how do we make society fairer for all.

So. I've taken my first sick day in 2 years... ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I will read it later but since lockdown I have taken on all the household chores, my wife does fuck all! Previously it was a pretty even spread, she hoovered and cleaned the bathroom, I did the shopping, cooking, cleaning the kitchen etc other stuff we shared.

As any modern couple operate, I imagine.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Interested to see what the ladies (pretty much only @Yoni's left!) on this forum think of this:

Women doing more unpaid work around the house due to corona - and I look down the list and, whilst absolutely I agree that women do more of the housework in general this sort of stuff:

Sons birthday? Family photos? Scheduling a zoom hangout?

They're not chores. Those are optional things that she wants to occupy her time with.

If putting together a birthday party for he son is something she wants to do then she can't claim that as a chore. If women choose to drive that sort of shit, then fine. But don't then complain about it. Family photos? These are things that women in general take a lot more notice of (my o/h doesn't give a shit about family photos - I'm the one who records our life). One of my mates' wives organises a proper professional family photo every 5 years - but that's not a chore, thats what she wants to do with her life.

Walking the dog? What did you think you wouldn't have to walk it when you bought it? That's not a chore - that's a hobby, a break. It's a break you have to do, but when you bought the dog you chose that lifestyle.

If your hubby isn't doing his fair share of bedtime stories then absolutely that's something women are doing more than men - but then, a chore? That's the life you've chosen ffs! You can't then complain that the life you've chosen doesn't allow you to sit about watching netflix. (And you must force an equitable split if your partner's being a dick with agreements they've made).

My other half pretty much won't let me cook. She really loves cooking and will happily spend two (plus) hours a night in the kitchen using every single pot, pan and utensil we own cooking something brilliant, fresh and new. I eat like a king and it's provided to me. But that's not a chore - that's her hobby.

Given the choice, I'd cook a big fuck off chilli (the way I do it takes a couple of days) and pretty much eat that for the next week. It'd involve one big pan and whatever plates we need to dish it up to. So very little washing up (her only objection is that I don't do enough washing up - my objection is that if she must cook using every single thing as part of her hobby it's not right that I should be tidying up for her hobby all the time - I don't ask her to clean, maintain and buy parts / service our bikes or bike equipment, that's clearly my job). (Not that I do no washing up - I do).

There's a piece in there about the woman being jealous that her husband goes into an office and concentrates on his work all day whilst she does the odds and sods and fits work in between.

Is that not a life choice? Could she not choose to do a job that requires retreating into an office all day? If, between the two of them, they've agreed that he does the main breadwinning and she does a higher proportion of childcare work that's not a woman's emancipation issue - that's a life choice.

Even if they wanted kids and he refused to give up his working practices, she still had choices and she still chose to have kids with him, chose to work like that rather than sorting alternative arrrangements - alternative arrangements also potentially being finding a partner who was happy to find a more equitable (but potentially less lucrative) solution to that problem.

Amongst my friends and family many of the women don't like their jobs. I'm not surprised - a lot of the men hate their jobs too. But the women that have dropped down to three days a week or decided that they're not going to work - these women complain the loudest about how busy they are and how much they have to do and how little time they have to fit anything in between the cooking and the cleaning and the kids.

The women I know who work five days a week don't say that. They just crack on. And I've only ever met one man who left work to bring up his kids. He was a total wet blanket but he was one of the happiest people I ever met - the rest of the men I know don't realistically see that as an option. The fact that many women's desires to step down to 3 days a week are accomodated without issue isn't seen as a massive luxury or benefit - it's just taken for granted.

Why am I bothering with this text wall? Well - I think the debate about equality (certainly in the western world, lets exclude the African continent and other countries - where it's clear the differences are quite stark) has become so polarised and so focussed on where women are losing out to men, that there's no balance on where women benefit.

I'm not saying it's perfect but I think that women's life choices are much freer than mens. Less judgement is placed on women who want to prioritise different things than 24/7 work. I think, in many ways, women have more choice than men.

Women in our organisation have kids and boost through the glass ceiling if they want to. Some don't have kids - some do. But it doesn't look like the kids are a barrier - it looks like whether they want to burn up so much of their life in stressful jobs are the barrier. Men seem to be compelled to say that they're ambitious or they get looked down on - even if they don't naturally hold that ambition. (Stating that you don't want to go for that promotion and your happy where you are seems to be a one-way ticket to the redundancy line).

You could point at metrics (number of women in executive positions, number of women in lower paid positions, wage stats, etc.) - which paint a "there's less women executives", "more women in lower paid part-time work" - well shit. I'm absolutely behind that there's definitely structural issues with the number of executives and minorities in exec positions and think it's right that we are taking action to fix those things.

But in the day-to-day, non-executive "normal" world of work - a lot of part time positions are chosen not because there's no good work out there - but because five days a week is shit, and three suits some people better.

Again, for the avoidance of doubt, I do think there are imbalances. But we're doing quite well in the western world, so recognising that there are serious issues for the work and quality of life for members of either sex (or penguins) seems to me to be the next leap we need to make.

For me, I now think we really need to be looking at how do we make society fairer for all.

So. I've taken my first sick day in 2 years... ;)

There's a lot to unpick there, some of which I agree with, some I definitely don't.

1. Women do create extra shit to do which by any rational reckoning, is optional. But its only optional as a technicality. The mental well-being of your kids means you end up doing lots of stuff by choice initially, but it eventually becomes part of the fabric of your life and hence a chore. So my wife organises the kids' activities, but by and large I physically take them. Yes, we could choose not to do that, but we love our kids so we don't. Now, given free reign my wife would fill our entire lives with this shit, and its my job to reign her in, both to protect our time, our bank balance and because I'm a better judge of how much "scratching their arse playing video games" time they need. My point at a fundamental level is that just because something is a choice doesn't mean it somehow doesn't count as a job that needs doing.

2. In terms of "traditional" chores; cooking, cleaning etc. I don't know many men these days who don't pull their weight. We certainly have a division of labour from breakfast to bedtime and while I'd certainly say wife does a bit more than me in the average day, it balances out because I do all the time intensive stuff like gardening, decorating and repairs. What annoys me about the BBC article is that it does that thing that all women's equality pieces do; use the global figures as a stick to beat western men with (I noticed it in that Bill Gates article @Job posted the other day, and plenty of other times). What's the point in using global figures for workplace participation or domestic work levels if the figures are so wildly variable? I constantly see articles pointing out all the woes of women in the workplace and when you actually look at Europe in particular, they are profoundly misleading.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
1. Women do create extra shit to do which by any rational reckoning, is optional. But its only optional as a technicality. The mental well-being of your kids means you end up doing lots of stuff by choice initially, but it eventually becomes part of the fabric of your life and hence a chore.
Agree with this. As you said - most men pull their weight (some don't) - but the act of having kids was a life choice, so ultimately that's an optional buy-in. But ultimately it's not a problem for wider society in terms of equality of women. We're at the point where people in relationships need to be allowed to make their own decisions - and if women nowdays don't feel able to demand equality of chore-sharing then maybe we're teaching them the wrong skills when they're young - like self-resilience.

That conservative woman got panned the other day for saying feminism is driving a victim narrative. It's only what I've been thinking for the past decade (but clearly, given the way the world is, I wouldn't feel free to voice that opinion in, say, the workplace).

So my wife organises the kids' activities, but by and large I physically take them. Yes, we could choose not to do that, but we love our kids so we don't. Now, given free reign my wife would fill our entire lives with this shit, and its my job to reign her in, both to protect our time, our bank balance and because I'm a better judge of how much "scratching their arse playing video games" time they need. My point at a fundamental level is that just because something is a choice doesn't mean it somehow doesn't count as a job that needs doing.
Completely. Once bought in then they're jobs that need doing. As long as there's agreement on the division of labour between both parties then there is no equality issue here.

(Although I think a lot of kids nowadays have been robbed of boredom as a creative impetus (mostly by videogames, but often because parents feel the need to fill their lives with stimulating things or the parents feel like they're failing their children). But that's a different conversation).

2. In terms of "traditional" chores; cooking, cleaning etc. I don't know many men these days who don't pull their weight. We certainly have a division of labour from breakfast to bedtime and while I'd certainly say wife does a bit more than me in the average day, it balances out because I do all the time intensive stuff like gardening, decorating and repairs. What annoys me about the BBC article is that it does that thing that all women's equality pieces do; use the global figures as a stick to beat western men with (I noticed it in that Bill Gates article @Job posted the other day, and plenty of other times). What's the point in using global figures for workplace participation or domestic work levels if the figures are so wildly variable? I constantly see articles pointing out all the woes of women in the workplace and when you actually look at Europe in particular, they are profoundly misleading.
Again, yep. It's driving a victim narrative and in many ways it's unhealthy for both men and women - because women are being primed to feel like they're being hard done by all the time when sometimes life is hard, and you just need to pull your sleeves up instead of blaming the patriarchy.

I don't think we see this anywhere more than in the media tbh. And it's probably because of the fact that the media is chock-full of (sorry, over-represented by) women from privilgeded backgrounds (sister's kid, media studies, what poor person can afford to do a degree like that withouth risking abject poverty - I love the girl to bits but if she fails, she'll never be homeless or destitute. She can just go back home and will be quids in when her parents pop it - so her life is full of choices). This means that there's plenty of bandwagon jumping and virtue signalling by people who think they're fighting the good fight for women's equality.

It's very admirable and they should be afforded those choices as they have them - but I think we're at the point in the west where the narrative absolutely needs to move on to the really big elephant in the room that we never deal with.

Meh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
In true I'm-all-right-jackism - life is beginning to look up!

1606399196922.png

That's downstairs. No aerial (I bought the CPE Pro 2 - and they've removed the external aerial points - doh!!). I'll try it upstairs in a bit. Don't know what stability is like long term, or if games etc. work properly. (I hear that EE run Carrier Grade NAT because they've run out of IPv4 addresses for their mobile network - so some functionality might be a bit of a no-no, which would make this whole deal completely unworkable.

But right now, that's looking pretty good to me! :)

Job

Ooh its like a Jordan Peterson fan club meet here today.

Job

So Lewis lost his 3 year legal battle against Hamilton watches and of course all the mainstream buried it because hes the goldenboy.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Read about in on the BBC a week or so ago...

Maybe they just didn't have a front page spread on what is basically a dull non-story?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom