SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Fresh fruit tastes better. I think organic produce is pure marketing bullshit. What matters is how quickly it gets from the plant to your mouth. That's why frozen garden peas taste so good - they're frozen within an hour of being picked.

Right, so you say delivery time is the bandit here. I'm thinking tomatoes in stores - doesn't even taste like a tomato. Fresh from the plant, its day and night difference.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
the tomatoes in stores this time of year is often from southern europe (often southern spain) so it will have spent some time in transit

plus they are grown inside these weird plastic bag cities

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

I'm not well versed with the expression 'organic' when it comes to growing crops and vegetables/fruit so i wont comment on it.

In Sweden, there's a certification called KRAV, which encompasses agriculture, cattle-breeding and much more. You get a label/certification on your product, though, there's strict guidelines and regulations you need to follow, for example, no gen-mod, artificial manure, chemical pesticides, good animal care, good workplace environment, synthetic additions etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Often translates to a 50-95% increase in price.

In English | KRAV

They are extremely transparent when it comes to questions as: Does it entail a more nutritional product? With vegetables there's been tests that show the proteion content is often lower, but often the polyunsaturated fat contents are higher (good thing, ex omega 3-6 etc).

Taste wise, there's often a MUCH noticeable difference, richer and more natural taste first and foremost. Can you make out a difference between an eco-cucumber or non-eco - probably not, would you buy it? Probably not. Most certainly there's also differences in batches, and not 100% uniformity when it comes to quality. Guess it's a question of lifestyle, if you want to contribute to a more rich environment.

I'm ordering baskets of veggies on a semi-weekly basis from a local producer, you pick it up nearby and it's almost as fresh as it can get. Tastes amazing, also, it's different veggies each time, mainly depending on the season. Such a difference on buying that crap in the stores from NL (no offence @TdC)/Spain/Portugal and what not.

Also, short rant with regards to meat and antibiotic-use from different countries.

List as follows: (take from WWF - Building a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.)

source.php

There's also a correlation between use of antibiotics and use of pesticides.

Conclusions: Sweden is great. Spain is crap. UK's semi-ok. Also rant at the grocery-providers (shit-peddlers) importing crap.

Edit: Have i got nothing better to do such as being out drinking beer you might ask. Well no.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
"Organic" is basically what stupid people buy in the supermarket...its basically the same shit but with more fancy packaging.

Drones will insist on buying shit from supermarkets so to be fair they are fair game.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
"Organic" is basically what stupid people buy in the supermarket...its basically the same shit but with more fancy packaging.

Drones will insist on buying shit from supermarkets so to be fair they are fair game.
So you never buy anything from a super market then?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Lots, just not fresh stuff...because it is not really very fresh, at all.

Supermarkets are OK if you want long life stuff, tins of beans and whatever but meat and veg...fuck no.

And actually, this year I will be growing several of the base veg myself, potatoes, carrots, peas etc...I am toying with the idea of growing some fruit too, probably just some raspberries and strawberries at first. I would like to get a blackcurrant and a gooseberry going too but they are more long term.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Lots, just not fresh stuff...because it is not really very fresh, at all.

Supermarkets are OK if you want long life stuff, tins of beans and whatever but meat and veg...fuck no.

And actually, this year I will be growing several of the base veg myself, potatoes, carrots, peas etc...I am toying with the idea of growing some fruit too, probably just some raspberries and strawberries at first. I would like to get a blackcurrant and a gooseberry going too but they are more long term.
So you are a drone buying stuff from supermarkets. You didnt specify not fresh stuff.

Oh you are as much of a twat over that as scouse is over organic.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Want fresh veg that has some taste go to a local farmers market. Cuts out a lot of transport and refrigeration which is known to affect taste of some fruit and veg. You could also be surprised at the cost compared to the big super stores.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
We have a "farmers market" right next to the busiest road in town (thousands of cars a day). All of it is grown in California and shipped here by truck. Sad thing is that it's a lot cheaper the the actual farmers market out by the fields that grow the crops 20 feet from where you buy them.... 'murica.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
5 a day started in America by a cancer trust, based on basic statistical research and wasn't a healthy eating policy, just a way to reduce cancers in a non specific way.
The number 5 was picked from marketing knowledge and no other scientific backup was used.
There still is no science to back it up as 'healthy', except questionable cancer statistics.
It won't do you any harm, except acidic fruits can rot your teeth, but as yet there is no quantifiable evidence to support you will be more 'healthy', or less 'healthy', if you don't.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Five a day is dead easy, you just have to take inspiration from the Kobayashi Meru and change the rules of the game. So if you extend the definition of fruit and veg to include things like bacon, cheese, crisps and jaffa cakes /Jammie Dodgers, five a day is a piece of piss.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Valid excuse if you live in a flat, shit excuse if you have a garden.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh, small study on tomatoes (and there are studies that show the opposite but it's not really worth arguing over). The lower pesticide use is more important to me and like I said fresh fruit and veg is more important than source.

What I do like is growers that do varieties that are different from what you generally get in the supermarkets. Much wider variety of flavours for your meals :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There still is no science to back it up as 'healthy', except questionable cancer statistics.... there is no quantifiable evidence to support you will be more 'healthy', or less 'healthy', if you don't.
You're so full of crap Job. You're literally wrong about everything you type about.

(Link to actual science)

A fruit and vegetable intake above five-a-day shows major benefit in reducing the chance of heart attack, stroke, cancer and early death...

The study ... included up to 2 million people, and assessed up to 43,000 cases of heart disease, 47,000 cases of stroke, 81,000 cases of cardiovascular disease, 112,000 cancer cases and 94,000 deaths

...but "experts" eh? Must be lying, or just stupid, or wrong.

Job

The very report you linked admitted the association is modest and often barely above statistical error.
As I mentioned in my post and as they admit , many of the studies showed it makes it worse.
That's not any proof of a direct mechanism for increased health in any individual, it's a statistical number crunch that has huge potential for error.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Human beings are omnivores, we get any number of vitamins and minerals from a variety of foods, shit that makes our bodies work properly. Proper meat (not you mechanically reclaimed ready meal shit) and fresh, properly cooked veg is what you need. Fruit, meh...its nice but actually a lot it should not be eaten in large numbers due to high sugar.

Not to mention a varied diet equals an interesting diet.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
High sugar and acid. Diabetes and tooth rot in one easy to pick package.

I'm with @Tom , I stick with bags of 'frozen within an hour' farmhouse veg and peas and sweetcorn mix. Delicious in a bowl on their own with a bit of black pepper. I put a dash of butter in now and again for a treat.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Things like baked beans, kidney beans and chickpeas contribute to your "5-a-day" so it's not that hard. It doesn't all have to be fresh.

Job

Dogs don't eat vegatables, humans don't need them if they are eating enough varied meat and fats to get nutrients reqd.
Much of the vegatable/fruit support comes from how we think of them as not being fatty, they seen clean and wholesome, like an antidote to fatty, heart disease causing meat.
They are just a food source, a poorer energy source, but no more healthy than anything...well except refined sugar, which is just too much for the body in the amounts we eat.
Cut out added refined sugars, it batters your bodies mechanisms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom