Film The General Film Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

From the creators of Get Out! Supposedly really darn good

I had an ad for this pop up on my phone and didn't skip it as soon as I could, which says a lot. It looks great and has got great reviews.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just saw Captain Marvel. It was alright.

A bit like Black Panther, I think that a lot of the hype was simply because the protagonist is female. (Who cares? Never stopped anyone liking Buffy the Vampire Slayer..). But what she lacked, mostly, was charisma. She was just sorta bit too much girl-next door.

Film went on OK. The worst bit:
The fucking cat. Awful animation and particularly the model - supposed to be a "funny" moment when they were heading into space and the cat was sprawled against a box because of the g-forces - but all you could think was "that's a fucking awful model, and where are it's genitals"? The shot was only a second or so, but it was really jarring. Bird thought the same

Standard Marvel production values. I guess the reason she's not in the storyline earlier on is:
She's effectively Superman. She could have pretty much done everything the Avengers did single handed. I don't know what Fury was thinking not pressing the "god-mode" button during Avengers 1. She'd have whupped, gone found Thanos, won. Job jobbed.

I guess Marvel understands that DC's biggest problem with Superman is that he's Superman, so use him sparingly. But it does make me worry about the next film. Like the end of Half Life 2 - you go all god mode when your gravity gun turns into amazeballs energy thrower - and the game is lesser for it

Anyway. Am being critical there. If you've seen it, or are gonna see it. It can't hurt ya :)

The cat is a Flerkin, how do you know it has genitals? As for the reason why she's not in the MCU earlier is because she's nowhere near as popular a character as most of the characters who've come before her. It wasn't a creative decision, it was a marketing one. You're right that she's too powerful, but the MCU has a relatively simple fix for that which is to keep her off world fighting "cosmic" threats most of the time; plus tbh Thor and the Hulk's power levels yo-yo all over the place in the MCU, 99% of the audience don't give a shit

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I had an ad for this pop up on my phone and didn't skip it as soon as I could, which says a lot. It looks great and has got great reviews.

Have you actually seen Get Out as well? If not, can really really recommend.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yup although I only recently realised that Jordan Peele is *that* Jordan Peele from Key & Peele.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The cat is a Flerkin, how do you know it has genitals?
Meh - it's disguised as a cat. (Whatever a flerkin is). And either way it's horridly jarring

oh, and, thinking about it:
Nick Fury is an idiot bystander. He literally does nothing cool at all. What a waste of a character.

I didn't think of that much last night because he didn't do much in the film.

I'm liking the film less with passage of time actually

DaGaffer

Tbh it's Phoenix. If anyone can do it, it's him.

Honestly couldn't care less. I've never seen what the big deal is about the Joker; the version in DKR was about the only one that ever interested me.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Honestly couldn't care less. I've never seen what the big deal is about the Joker; the version in DKR was about the only one that ever interested me.
Heath Ledger > *.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually - still more interested in what happens to Thanos tbh. (Not that I think of him as a "bad guy").

And how do they bring a dead Palpatine back?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Actually - still more interested in what happens to Thanos tbh. (Not that I think of him as a "bad guy").

And how do they bring a dead Palpatine back?

Where was the proof he died?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Where was the proof he died?
It's fucking gay. He's dead.

If he wasn't dead both Vader and Luke would have felt it - according to the rules set down in the first set of films.

But they don't seem to give a shit about building cogent universes any more - which is why the new set of films are absolutely gash. If you can lightspeed a cruiser through a pile of star destroyers you could have taken a bigger frigate at lightspeed through the deathstar in the first film - thus negating the entire powerbase of the empire and killing all on board.

If you don't follow the rules of the Universe then you've made such a fundamental change that it's no longer that film/universe - just a pretty visual and audio skinned version which is similar, but not it.

The new Star Trek series is the same - they've got a fucking mushroom drive that can take them anywhere in the universe immediately, they can beam across seemingly random distances (planet to planet sometimes, but sometimes not through whatever random cloud makes things a bit more "tense"), they've got holographic technology outside of holodecks despite that never being a thing in their future - technology that allows them to talk across interstellar distances. In the last episode it was clear that Vulcans have developed an ability to "sense" what's going on across the universe at faster-than-light speeds, without any technology, as long as it's an emotionally intense moment. (And then get there instantly - despite a fleet of starships having to conform to the old warp-drive rules to provide a timing narrative).

It's all fucking bullshit.

I blame the Harry Potter effect. It's all fucking magic.

People are now so woefully uneducated that they're entertained by dumb and lazy written shite nowadays - and so unbothered by things that they accept massive changes in the clear rulesets of entirely clearly constructed universes.

Palpetine is DEAD. :eek:

DaGaffer

If he wasn't dead both Vader and Luke would have felt it - according to the rules set down in the first set of films.

But they don't seem to give a shit about building cogent universes any more - which is why the new set of films are absolutely gash. If you can lightspeed a cruiser through a pile of star destroyers you could have taken a bigger frigate at lightspeed through the deathstar in the first film - thus negating the entire powerbase of the empire and killing all on board.

If you don't follow the rules of the Universe then you've made such a fundamental change that it's no longer that film/universe - just a pretty visual and audio skinned version which is similar, but not it.

The new Star Trek series is the same - they've got a fucking mushroom drive that can take them anywhere in the universe immediately, they can beam across seemingly random distances (planet to planet sometimes, but sometimes not through whatever random cloud makes things a bit more "tense"), they've got holographic technology outside of holodecks despite that never being a thing in their future - technology that allows them to talk across interstellar distances. In the last episode it was clear that Vulcans have developed an ability to "sense" what's going on across the universe at faster-than-light speeds, without any technology, as long as it's an emotionally intense moment. (And then get there instantly - despite a fleet of starships having to conform to the old warp-drive rules to provide a timing narrative).

People are now so woefully uneducated that they're entertained by dumb and lazy written shite nowadays - and so unbothered by things that they accept massive changes in the clear rulesets of entirely clearly constructed universes.

Actually I think Discovery is setting up its plotlines to show why loads of tech that should have been around by the time of TOS isn't, and doesn't appear in TNG or later either; Self-aware AIs being the most obvious. I'm actually really warming to Discovery lately.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

To be fair and I'm going back to the prequels here *shudder* Palp hid in plain sight of the Jedi Council and they couldn't sense him at all, if he can do that, there's no reason he couldn't hide from Luke and Vader.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
In the Extended Universe novels Palpatine was around after the first trilogy so this would just be keeping with their own original stories and ideas

DaGaffer

Read The Killing Joke :)

I've read The Killing Joke. And Arkham Asylum and The Man Who Laughs. Great stories but... dunno, overexposure? Maybe I just read too much Batman when I was younger.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Actually I think Discovery is setting up its plotlines to show why loads of tech that should have been around by the time of TOS isn't, and doesn't appear in TNG or later either; Self-aware AIs being the most obvious. I'm actually really warming to Discovery lately.
Well I don't know about you but "because reasons" didn't feel very satisfying

DaGaffer

Well I don't know about you but "because reasons" didn't feel very satisfying

It was a bit rubbish but definitely Trek-consistent; "let's never go near this technology again because it didn't work the way we hoped first time out of the box"'. I think spore drive and AI are now in the same dusty warehouse as genetic engineering and the Genesis Wave.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just saw Avengers Endgame and really enjoyed it. Didn't seem like I was watching a film 3 hours long.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Going tomorrow. Literally booked the tickets 30 seconds ago :)

You are lucky then as my son said a few of his friends tried to get tickets but most of the places were sold out, but they were looking for evening slots.

Without obvious spoilers to none marvel fans... does it follow the comic books :p?

Having had time to digest what I saw and I may well have to go watch it again as there is a lot to take in.... it was emotional, funny, exhilarating and wtf?!?

DaGaffer

Brilliant. For so.e reason I feel like there's a whole other director's cut with a ton more stuff in it, even if it was 3 hours long

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Brilliant. For so.e reason I feel like there's a whole other director's cut with a ton more stuff in it, even if it was 3 hours long
Did you get emotional at the end? I am Iron Man.It started with him and then ended with him. Also the Peter Parker reunion.

DaGaffer

Did you get emotional at the end? I am Iron Man.It started with him and then ended with him. Also the Peter Parker reunion.

Not about Tony, It felt...fitting. I got more emotional about Cap's happy ending, even if when you pull on that thread it really makes no sense at all (or Gamora for that matter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom