Film The General Film Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh dear oh dear :(

Well, I've been able to ignore the existence of Beverly Hills Cop II for a long time now, so I'm sure I can live with this.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Rebel Moon - Can deffo see the Star Wars influence. A lot better than we both expected. Worth the watch. Will be worth the wait again when the Directors cut comes out.

(Wife approved of the movie and she's not a space nerd)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Was going to give it a miss, but I've been told he rips off all the best bits of sci-fi and does it OK. A bit like the magnificent 7 in space. So might go on after the footie tonight :)

I can thoroughly recommend this for a feelgood christmas film. Great family fayre:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COGLBSB7Fwg

Yes. The trailer doesn't sell it but it got the stamp of approval from the grumpy o/h when I made her watch it the other night. Apart from an on-form Bogey it's got a young Peter Ustinov, so worth it for that alone :)

Worth going on a small voyage for. Set sail!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Rebel Moon - I can't wait until April!*

*because by that time I'll have forgotten how awful part 1 was :eek:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Rebel Moon - I can't wait until April!*

*because by that time I'll have forgotten how awful part 1 was :eek:

It was fine. It's just another Seven Samurai remake, so you're not watching it for the plot. I liked it visually; very Valerian/5th Element Mobius vibe.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I know @DaGaffer but even knowing that going in I found it disjointed, characterless and with little flow.

If you're going to remake something you've got character and major plot points already done for you - so how hard can it be when all you have to write is passable dialogue and keep scene-to-scene consistency?

Yeah. It looked OK I guess. I did get the fifth element nods, but then every effects movie looks amazing (to a certain level of computer generated amazing) nowadays, so it's not enough of a differentiator really.

We were both bored and actively laughing at it by the end.

Will watch pt2, though. Just for completeness I guess. It wasn't so awful that it can't fill a boring work night if it's raining hard.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Opinion:

The Matrix is just Matilda, but 'dark' and sci-fi-ish. Released 3 years after the DeVito movie. Premise copied. Satisfaction for the audience when unlimited power is gained.

DaGaffer

Finally watched Napoleon. Very pretty but utterly vacuous. If you knew nothing about Napoleon before this movie, you still know nothing at the end, and whatever you think you picked up from the movie, is mostly wrong. In fact:

napoleon crossing the alps jacques louis david.jpg
This is "Napoleon Crossing The Alps" by Jacques-Louis David. There, now you know more about Napoleon than the 2 and half hours of drivel I just sat through.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mint, I actually enjoyed the Sonic movies and most likely thats because of how great Jim Carrey is at playing characters.
Carey + them ditching scary Sonic made it a fun switch off brain, eat popcorn time

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Just back from Argylle - despite the critics being lukewarm on it I thought it was really enjoyable. Not one to make you think a huge amount but for something to munch popcorn to it hit the spot.

Cavil was so auditioning for Bond in it tho. Remember Daniel Craig in Layer Cake? Yeah, that.

DaGaffer

Wait what?! There's more than one of them?!

Yup, and they're actually not bad. I actually think the Mario movie was better (mainly because the in-jokes were funnier) but the Sonic movies were much better than I expected them to be.

DaGaffer

Argylle It passes the time enjoyably enough, and has a very Kingsman vibe (unsurprisingly given the director - and there's a couple of Kingsman sight gags). But, if you're anything like me, you'll get to a certain point in the movie and you'll think "I've seen this exact plot before and it was done better". I can't tell you which other movie that is because it would be a major spoiler, but once you know it's kind of difficult to think about anything else.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just watched the trailer. That CG cat annoyed the piss out of me.

But will set sail one day I daresay :)

DaGaffer

Just watched the trailer. That CG cat annoyed the piss out of me.

But will set sail one day I daresay :)

The CGI in general is...not great to be honest; once again like some of the cheesier bits of the Kingsman movies.

Overdriven

We just watched The Marvels.

If you take it as it is, it's good.

Cats were funny.

Overdriven

It's not.

What happens to the water planet, eh?

It gets destroyed.

As said, take it as it is. I'm not writing a thesis on the flaws of superhero culture and just want to turn my brain off.

Why did

Ms Marvel only have 1 bracelet when she came off the ship when she was wearing two the before that?

Why did the singing planet man not have to sing to the 2 others?

Why did space cat lay eggs?

Probably a few others, but I've stopped giving a shit about film flaws in movies like this. It's mindless entertainment.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It gets destroyed.

As said, take it as it is. I'm not writing a thesis on the flaws of superhero culture and just want to turn my brain off.

Why did

Ms Marvel only have 1 bracelet when she came off the ship when she was wearing two the before that?

Why did the singing planet man not have to sing to the 2 others?

Why did space cat lay eggs?

Probably a few others, but I've stopped giving a shit about film flaws in movies like this. It's mindless entertainment.
Mindless is the right word for this one, it's not the mistakes I'm getting at, they go to see her fake husband, let his planet get obliterated and just "shrug, nevermind" the whole thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom