Film The General Film Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just got back @Tom . Cameron really knows how to do "peril in the water" very well. So much that you took some of the most amazing action sequences for granted - you're focussed on what's happening rather than going "woah". It's part scuba, part beyond the posiedon adventure.

Enjoyed it very much. IMAX was the correct choice rather than waiting to set sail on the high seas.

I think the story is solid tbh. I think you'd have to be going to some effort to hate it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think the only thing that was missing really was a scene showing exactly why
Jake Sully was so determined to run and hide his family. I get that he was protecting his clan, but it could have been made a little more obvious. A minute of slow dialogue about what happened in the first film and how he didn't want it to happen again or something.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think the only thing that was missing really was a scene showing exactly why
Jake Sully was so determined to run and hide his family. I get that he was protecting his clan, but it could have been made a little more obvious. A minute of slow dialogue about what happened in the first film and how he didn't want it to happen again or something.
Nah. I like the fact that it paid zero attention to the first film. Treated us like adults - it made the assumption that we're all on the same page as we've all seen it.

He doesn't need to explain to his wife why they have to go as she lived it too. The kids'll know. We know. Wasted expositional time for us.

TBH I think the film suffered a little with a short running time! He crammed so much stuff in. The only dodgy bit was the initial whale conversation, for a fraction of a second I went 'erg' but then went with it - because why not - and that was totally fine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Banshees of Inisherrin; I really enjoyed it, but my missus thought it was "brutal". Definitely a Marmite movie.
I really liked it. The o/h is now depressed.

Hey ho. Gonna jump in the hot tub. That'll cheer her up. Hope it snows.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You just knew it was going to be shite after the first one was so obviously shite.

I couldn't get over the "advanced and enlightened civilisation's entire future is put at jeopardy and the result is dependent on a fight between two pricks" bit of the story. For me that bit alone was insulting enough to black people. But it seems nobody blinked.

May watch, if I'm really really really fucking bored. Which I am of the marvel movies now.

On the other hand - I've got an AI upscaled 2160p version of this to watch tonight. Bring it on :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You just knew it was going to be shite after the first one was so obviously shite.

I couldn't get over the "advanced and enlightened civilisation's entire future is put at jeopardy and the result is dependent on a fight between two pricks" bit of the story. For me that bit alone was insulting enough to black people. But it seems nobody blinked.

May watch, if I'm really really really fucking bored. Which I am of the marvel movies now.

On the other hand - I've got an AI upscaled 2160p version of this to watch tonight. Bring it on :)

I actually thought it was a lot better than the first one, which was just Iron Man 2 with rhinos.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I actually thought it was a lot better than the first one, which was just Iron Man 2 with rhinos.

1 was better than 2 because of how Wakanda had to fit into the end of (Phase 2?) the MCU.

Wakanda Forever is either for::

- Introducing the new Iron Woman (What happened to the kid who was meant to replace Stark as the new Iron Man, the kid from #3?)
- A time skip so the kid at the end becomes the new black panther (But then what happens to his sister?)
- A way for Marvel to play homage Chadwick, which is why the beginning of the movie was good. The rest with the fake Avatar folk was just dire. What even was the point?
- A cash grab

It was entertaining enough but half way through even I was a bit bored.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I hope they do something with the Zack Snyder Justice League thing. I really enjoyed that film. I hadn't watched the "original" because YT clips of it looked fucking shite.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I hope they do something with the Zack Snyder Justice League thing. I really enjoyed that film. I hadn't watched the "original" because YT clips of it looked fucking shite.

DC are doing a complete reboot of everything so you won't see that for ages.
This is what you have to look forward to:

DC EU.jpg

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Honestly I'm not looking forward to any. I think I've gone past apathy to all these comic book movies to genuine hatred.
DC don't have any interesting characters that they haven't already ruined or overused so much it's impossible to care about them anymore and Marvel are starting to roll out the B- characters so and they won't be pulling off some magic trick by rolling in the X-Men (or at least it's unlikely since they're going galactic) so I think they've jumped the shark at this point.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If they pumped out another Dredd film I'd be there like a shot tho.

DaGaffer

DC don't have any interesting characters that they haven't already ruined or overused so much it's impossible to care about them anymore and Marvel are starting to roll out the B- characters so and they won't be pulling off some magic trick by rolling in the X-Men (or at least it's unlikely since they're going galactic) so I think they've jumped the shark at this point.

The Authority is the only thing on there that I have any interest in. The Warren Ellis comics were great. The rest? Nope.

DaGaffer

Guardians 3. Ends the trilogy on a high note and the first MCU movie in ages that I can say I really enjoyed without any equivocation.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Just to prove how spectacularly late I am to all sort of film related parties, a 13 hour flight from Singapore gave me a chance to catch up on a couple:

Top Gun:Maverick - cheesy, predictable, entirely unbelievable with so many nods to a 35 year old film it was untrue - and I fucking loved it. Watched it on the flight to Da Nang (whilst flying on a 737 MAX for added shits and giggles), then watched it again on the flight home. In fact I may have watched the last 30 minutes twice in a row for the F14 bit. Just about to order it on Blu-ray so I can see it on a "proper" screen.

Matrix: Resurrections - not as bad as reviews suggested even if it was far too "meta" and self aware in the beginning. I'm one of those rare folk who enjoyed the second two films (granted not as much as the first) and the new story was ok - wasn't a huge fan of the new Agent Smith or Barney being the bad guy. Probably won't order the Blu-ray but would watch it if it's on.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Stupid action film, lots of fun, and a decent story, underneath.

DaGaffer

Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny. I went in with zero expectations of this one after the last travesty (it was actually my kids who dragged me to it), and....it's really very good. It confirms two things;

James Mangold really is one of the best directors around and was the perfect choice for this

The only good Indiana Jones movies are the ones where he's fighting Nazis

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny. I went in with zero expectations of this one after the last travesty (it was actually my kids who dragged me to it), and....it's really very good. It confirms two things;

James Mangold really is one of the best directors around and was the perfect choice for this

The only good Indiana Jones movies are the ones where he's fighting Nazis
Temple of Doom is the best and that has no Nazis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom