Film The General Film Thread

georgie

FH is my second home
I got a bit emotional watching this trailer.

Specifically during the “avengers theme” moments.

Not really sure why.

Maybe it’s because of the nearly 10 years of films all coming together in one final (2 part) send of for a bunch of characters that have grown on screen.

Strange.

That'll be Dr Strange, thank you very much.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its probably a film set before we brought them civilisation, so who cares?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No idea.

Its on Netflix.

One could almost say its ahead of its time.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Is that the one that’s not getting a cinema release in the UK and Ireland?

I think you're thinking of Annihilation (2018) - IMDb which'll be on UK Netflix two weeks after it's in US cinemas.

The book is weird as fuck and something I thought would be damn difficult to adapt but if anyone can film it I have faith in Alex Garland after Ex Machina (2014) - IMDb which was great.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Hopefully a sign of things to come, and end to cinema early exclusives.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I think you're thinking of Annihilation (2018) - IMDb which'll be on UK Netflix two weeks after it's in US cinemas.

The book is weird as fuck and something I thought would be damn difficult to adapt but if anyone can film it I have faith in Alex Garland after Ex Machina (2014) - IMDb which was great.

yeah I've read the 3 books, agree its going to be interesting how they convert it to the screen, unless they just concentrate on one expedition. hopefully it will be really dark (mood wise)

sunny1000

Fledgling Freddie
I'm actually surprised that the new Jumanji movie got a high score from Rotten Tomatoes. Anyone interested to watch the movie?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Have a slight aversion for anything with a rock in it (or several for that matter).

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I liked the jumanji trailer, looked like a fun popcorn muncher

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I started watching flatliners last night.

Started, couldn't finish. Garbage.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Saw Con Men last week, think it was on Amazon Prime. Tedious dialogue at the begining, but once it got going, it was interesting trying to second guess the plot. Everyone watching it had their own theory, all of us wrong :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I started watching flatliners last night.

Started, couldn't finish. Garbage.
I thought it was whiny emo shite when it came out in the 90's. Women loved it tho.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Just watched Bright on Netflix, thought it was pretty good, kinda like Bad Boys but with orcs and elves and shit thrown into the mix.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I was a bit disappointed with it. It felt a little formulaic. Well put together but not enough flesh on the bones somehow, it might as well have been white cop/black cop.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just watched Atomic Blonde. Like that film. Want to be charlizes concealed microphone in that film.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I was a bit disappointed with it. It felt a little formulaic. Well put together but not enough flesh on the bones somehow, it might as well have been white cop/black cop.

I'd be totally down with a "modern" human/orc/elf story, but just adding them to our world makes zero sense, so i struggled with my suspension of disbelief all the way through this. It also felt entirely like an extended TV pilot, even if Will Smith would never be in the actual series.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'd be totally down with a "modern" human/orc/elf story, but just adding them to our world makes zero sense, so i struggled with my suspension of disbelief all the way through this. It also felt entirely like an extended TV pilot, even if Will Smith would never be in the actual series.
Is it like alien nation but with orcs rather than aliens?

DaGaffer

Is it like alien nation but with orcs rather than aliens?

Yes, except Alien Nation made a certain amount of sense. If orcs and elves had coexisted with humans for millennia and magic was real, I find it unlikely that latino gangs in South Central LA would be a thing.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I think to get more depth in to Bright it should have been a series.... I found it to be a bit lacking

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Everyones running out of ideas...a Bad boys remake...OK lets add Orcs, next it will be Aliens vs John Wick.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I liked it - good popcorn muncher, and I doubt Will Smith ever meant it to be more.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I'd be totally down with a "modern" human/orc/elf story, but just adding them to our world makes zero sense, so i struggled with my suspension of disbelief all the way through this.

I guess you don't know about the extremely popular Urban Fantasy genre? Almost everything in Bright is pretty much ripped straight from those kind of novels.

DaGaffer

I guess you don't know about the extremely popular Urban Fantasy genre? Almost everything in Bright is pretty much ripped straight from those kind of novels.

Calling it Urban fantasy (and yes, I know what it is) doesn't give it an excuse to have no internal logic. Most urban fantasy gets around humans and mythical creatures co-existing by disguise, denial or conspiracy, but if you had a world where elves, trolls and faeries (and I think I saw centaurs and the odd dragon in there) coexist publicly with humans for thousands of years (and Bright specifically points this out) and from the looks of things, elves are in charge, how would you end up with the United States? And not just any United States, but our United States with all the same streets, cars, weapons and buildings? Of course you wouldn't. The Alt-history would be utterly different. The only way it would make any sense is if they had arrived from another dimension (sorry, plane) very recently, which would make it Alien Nation with Orcs, but that's not that interesting to me, I'd be keener on something that had humans overtly evolving alongside orcs and elves but getting beyond the usual medieval stuff.

Last edited:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I think to get more depth in to Bright it should have been a series.... I found it to be a bit lacking

Yeah it feels like the "world building" is shoved in your face at the beginning with little explanation then it just moves on with the movie

A series to explore the themes in show would be nice

How do orc clans work for example?

Why are all elves rich?

Who/what happened? How does that one cop knpw what his family was up to 2000 years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom