Film The General Film Thread

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Black Panther trailer is up:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

All seems a bit, "bad guy is evil version of good guy", again. Iron Man 1 & 2, Incredible Hulk, Ant-Man, CA:First Avenger, etc. etc. Given I'm not really up on the whole Black Panther backstory I think I'll wait for the reviews on this one.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Not too sure about that.
Feels very black cliched indeed.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Looks like another box ticking marvel film, will watch it, will probably enjoy it, will then forget about what happened in it and it will merge into all the other marvel films.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Does that mean that you can't make a film with ethnic minorities in it without suggesting that it's being PC?

DaGaffer

Does that mean that you can't make a film with ethnic minorities in it without suggesting that it's being PC?

Luke Cage felt like a superhero who happened to be black in a black neighbourhood. Black Panther...I dunno, wish fulfilment? I know what it looks most like; Coming To America (Which to be fair, I liked a lot).

Gwadien

Luke Cage felt like a superhero who happened to be black in a black neighbourhood. Black Panther...I dunno, wish fulfilment? I know what it looks most like; Coming To America (Which to be fair, I liked a lot).

From Wikipedia; After the events of Captain America: Civil War, King T’Challa returns home to Wakanda.

Wakanda is a fake place in Africa, so yeah, lots of black people.

I just love the response from @Job - too many black people, looks shit.

Gwadien

I know who Black Panther is and how Wakanda fits into Marvel comics, I also just find it all a bit "tonally tricky" shall we say?

I dunno, they introduced him one of the Marvel films and now they're doing a spin-off for him which just so happens to be quite African centric.

Why don't people make comments when the bad guys are always eastern European/Russian for instance?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Theyve all got white friendly Nelson Mandela/Trevir Noah accents..as said looks like an Eddie Murphy movie.
Bit painful to watch

DaGaffer

I dunno, they introduced him one of the Marvel films and now they're doing a spin-off for him which just so happens to be quite African centric.

Why don't people make comments when the bad guys are always eastern European/Russian for instance?

It’s not the fact that it’s “African-centric” it’s the cliched aesthetic that I’m not so keen on; beast masks, animal teeth and spears etc. Sure, it’s a futuristic version, but I wouldn’t expect everyone in futuristic Chinese movie to wear coolie hats with lasers attached either.

Gwadien

It’s not the fact that it’s “African-centric” it’s the cliched aesthetic that I’m not so keen on; beast masks, animal teeth and spears etc. Sure, it’s a futuristic version, but I wouldn’t expect everyone in futuristic Chinese movie to wear coolie hats with lasers attached either.

I think it's a nod to the African heritage.

What about Captain fucking America? :p

Gwadien

Theyve all got white friendly Nelson Mandela/Trevir Noah accents..as said looks like an Eddie Murphy movie.
Bit painful to watch

White friendly Nelson Mandela accents.

That is fucking hilarious.
Well played.

DaGaffer

I think it's a nod to the African heritage.

What about Captain fucking America? :p

Its an American idea of an African heritage, just like the whole hidden cities in the jungle thing is a 19th century Victorian romantic ideal going back to Haggard, Burroughs and Howard. What its not in any sense is an African idea. And what about Captain America? The whole point about Captain America is that he's from WW2, a time when that type of patriotism was unironic. The whole Captain America arc in the movies is essentially about his disillusion with modern America. I actually think Captain America has been the most surprisingly good thing about the MCU, which I wouldn't have taken bets on ten years ago.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I actually think Captain America has been the most surprisingly good thing about the MCU, which I wouldn't have taken bets on ten years ago.
Yeah, that and Thor tbh. Quite liked the first one, didn't think they'd pull it off.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thor:Ragnarok... absolutely fucking great. My new favourite MCU film.
Enjoyed it very much. I think it missed *something* but I can't think what. Could be just that I'm hungover and tired - but yeah - very strong outing. Just when I was tiring of MCU films.

To be fair, I was always going to watch it when they used Zepplin as the trailer music tho :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Thor, really enjoyed it. Could have done without some of the shit jokes though.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Thor Ragnarok was good but i would have liked it to be a bit darker

DaGaffer

Thor Ragnarok was good but i would have liked it to be a bit darker

His three best friends get violently murdered by his sister, he has his eye put out and his planet (realm...thing) gets burned to ashes. What do you want? Baby eating? I think you've been in Sweden too long.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Death of Stalin was a good black comedy. A lot of the jokes and reveals were spoiled by the trailer though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
But those slapping each other on the shoulder and cracking jokes, while their city burns are a tad annoying too.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Thor was a good movie, agree with Yoni that darker would have been better for me. Korg kinda annoyed me after a while with the stupidity and Aussie surfer dude character.

DaGaffer

Sooo...Dark Tower. I’ve never read the books. Is that it?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Do I need to watch Suicide Squad b4 Justice League or does it carry on from Dawn of Justice?

I never bothered with SS

DaGaffer

Do I need to watch Suicide Squad b4 Justice League or does it carry on from Dawn of Justice?

I never bothered with SS

Just stab yourself in the eyes with knitting needles. Much more enjoyable. No, you absolutely do not need to watch Suicide Squad. Ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom