Film The General Film Thread

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Don't like the funky guitar music at the start, wtf is that all about?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
878r7e1hmle01.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh god please don’t suck!!!!
It's gonna suck.

The trailer was a little soulless for me tbh. Didn't really make me smile. First one was funny because it was fresh. Second looks like more of the same = therefore stale.

Unless, of course, the story is absolutely killer.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Disappointed with Darkest Hour. Gary Oldman is brilliant in it, but the rest of it is thin stuff, and not terribly accurate either.

DaGaffer

Sooo....Black Panther then. There's been an awful lot of hype about Black Panther for an MCU movie. Is it justified?

The Good
It looks great (with certain exceptions), its a proper rollicking ride with very little flab in the script, so the action tempo keeps up all the way through, which is what you want in a comic book movie. The cast are generally decent, and the motivations of the villain make sense and to certain extent you can see his point (which is also one the problems, see "The Bad"). On first viewing it feels a bit more complex and nuanced than the average MCU movie, but, then if you have a proper think about it, not so much. Which leads to...

The Not so Good. Proper spoilers ahead
Its yet another MCU movie where the villain is a reflection of the hero. Iron-Man, Ant-Man, First Avenger, etc. And its also yet another "sins of the father" MCU movie; Thor: Ragnarok and, especially, Iron-Man 2. All the fans will argue the baddie has much bigger motivation than just getting back at T'Challa for his father's actions, but its pretty much given away in the dialog.

I want to have a word about aesthetics. The whole movie is an American idea of Afro-Futurism and its cliched as fuck. There are some lovely bits where Wakandan tech is uniquely and obviously different from the rest of the world but still stands up as something that would work; and then there's a great big pile of cod-Africana, which is like "what if an Assegai was like, a really hi-tech version?" And its just bollocks. Its as cliched as a movie where everyone in modern day Japan is a ninja. There's also some proper full on Lion King shit going on which is just Disneyfication at its worst. When fucking "battle rhinos" turned up I was like "fuuuck offfff".

The Bad. BIG spoilers ahead. I mean it.
The whole Ulysses Klaue sub-plot makes absolutely no sense. The whole Korean section of the movie is just pointless because if Killmonger just wants Klaue's body to get into Wakanda, he could have done that earlier in the movie. It feels like there's a whole scene or bit of exposition that's been cut out and renders the second act of the movie pointless.

Finally, the biggest problem with this movie; Wakanda itself. If a high tech hidden African country has been around for centuries they could have stopped African slavery and colonialism cold. But they didn't, so essentially Wakandans are cunts. Now, the movie does address this directly, in fact its a big theme, but it never really solves the "historic" problem of Wakanda; it makes them complicit in everything bad that happened to Africa. What's the phrase? "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" That's the Wakanda problem.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Black Panther, decent enough entertainment if you bypass and ignore the whole hate the white man "colonialist" SJW shit.

Agree with @DaGaffer the whole Wakanda history is so flawed on so many levels. Kinda works in fantasy comics but not in film as much.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Finally got round to watching Blade Runner 2048 on the way back from LA. Wow. Probably not quite as good as the original (but better than the original original with the voice-over) but otherwise a stunning film.

Three Billboards was also awesome.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Finally got round to watching Blade Runner 2048 on the way back from LA. Wow. Probably not quite as good as the original (but better than the original original with the voice-over) but otherwise a stunning film.

Three Billboards was also awesome.

really enjoyed three billboards. such strong performances from all the lead roles.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Saw the movie Sloane, with Jessica Chastain, great movie about the DC swamp. She's a great actress, probably my fave film of hers.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I really enjoyed it. Jason Isaacs as Zhukov played as a Yorkshireman was all kinds of great.
Yeah. Film was too uncomfortable to be laugh out loud funny but it was really very good indeed.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Watched Dogtooth. So that's a movie that exists. Received an oscar for best foreign movie.

Bodhi

Watched Life with Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhall last night - was OK, but couldn't have been more similar to Alien if it tried.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Watched Life with Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhall last night - was OK, but couldn't have been more similar to Alien if it tried.

A weak plot, but for someone that's fond of those settings (as myself) it's..fine. Do like Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhall.
And indeed, the most depressing ending ever. Sequel?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My girlfriends sister logged into our telly with her Netflix account and I was going to watch the second season of Jessica Jones, but for some reason it was b0rked. So I downloaded and watched Annihilation via plex instead.

Thought it was very alien. Not shit. Not good. Just alien, which is an achievement in itself.

Anyway. Finished the film, missus enjoyed it (which amazed me) and checked to see if Netflix was working again, which it was, with Annihilation written all over it as they've picked it up because apparently the producers think it's "too intelligent" for the average cinemagoing punter, so Netflix picked it up.

Bodhi

Watched Baywatch last night. Hehehehehehehe, not going to win any Oscars, but still amusing, and didn't take itself too seriously at all.

Someone might want to tell Hollywood though, someone took a 1980's Franchise and didn't utterly ruin it (a la Ghostbusters, Chips, etc etc).

DaGaffer

Watched Baywatch last night. Hehehehehehehe, not going to win any Oscars, but still amusing, and didn't take itself too seriously at all.

Someone might want to tell Hollywood though, someone took a 1980's Franchise and didn't utterly ruin it (a la Ghostbusters, Chips, etc etc).

Not just 80s films. I think you could count the number of good movie adaptations of tv shows on the fingers of one hand. (Off the top of my head, some Star Trek, Mission:Impossible, Man from UNCLE, The Fugitive,....err...Spongebob?)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not just 80s films. I think you could count the number of good movie adaptations of tv shows on the fingers of one hand. (Off the top of my head, some Star Trek, Mission:Impossible, Man from UNCLE, The Fugitive,....err...Spongebob?)
Quantum Deep was better than the TV show it was based on.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
My girlfriends sister logged into our telly with her Netflix account and I was going to watch the second season of Jessica Jones, but for some reason it was b0rked. So I downloaded and watched Annihilation via plex instead.

Thought it was very alien. Not shit. Not good. Just alien, which is an achievement in itself.

Anyway. Finished the film, missus enjoyed it (which amazed me) and checked to see if Netflix was working again, which it was, with Annihilation written all over it as they've picked it up because apparently the producers think it's "too intelligent" for the average cinemagoing punter, so Netflix picked it up.
Jesus what the..did I just watch.
Thats one seriously fukd up film..from utterly brilliant to reality tv shite .
Creepy, insane, characters seemingly disconnected from events..it all added up to something that had me transfixed.
Loved it eventually.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I liked it. portrayed 'alien' very well.

that fucking bear is nightmare inducing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom