Film The General Film Thread

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Called AIDS on Ridley Scott ages ago when he had WWII landing boats and the new town Peterborough in Robin Hood.

He's got an amazing eye for beauty but that's it. Alien was great because it was bare-bones (and incredibly stylish), Blade Runner was a fluke born of production mishap and Gladiator whilst good was overrated (and again a fluke because the end he wanted was out-of-budget). The Martian was probably good because of Damon's involvement (a director and producer himself who understands story).

The rest of his filmography is generally "OK" or "watchable pap" at best.

You're right - my yard stick for Ridley Scott is Bladerunner / Alien / Gladiator (first two being masterpieces in my eyes), however Prometheus was dreadful and I've got the feeling this'll be the same.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The Mist...Stephen King.

Spot a face Y2K

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
It looks too nice and cozy, spaceship looks to home sweet home-isch. The world they land on looks like Earth (obviously..). Not feeling the utter isolation and vast darkness that is space. From watching the trailer that is.

If they'd taken some from the game, and bits and pieces from Dead Space.. Or just the old movies.

Its so..bland.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
`what a shit trailer :(

atm I belive it's going to be pretty. pretty, but MEH :(

Deeply unimpressed so far, but maybe there's actually a plot somewhere in the there.

Oh and' "there's no sounds of animals, whoooooo!" Glad to see the high quality scientific minds we saw in Prometheus are present and correct in this one. What makes them think animals on an alien planet even use sound or emit sounds at frequencies humans can hear? Jesus.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Glad to see the high quality scientific minds we saw in Prometheus are present and correct in this one. What makes them think animals on an alien planet even use sound or emit sounds at frequencies humans can hear? Jesus.
Actually, what went through my mind was "all those flowering plants not getting germinated by insects and animal life".

But now I've read your hypothesis I think "sound is the vibration of air molecules so if there was anything present to vibrate those air molecules, such as the wings of an insect, movement of animals etc, then we'd probably hear something, and it's only a tiny proportion of animals that make sounds that can't be heard by adult humans (though I can still hear bats) so I reckon if they were present we'd hear them. So I like my thing about germination better".

Yes. I could get out more :(

DaGaffer

Actually, what went through my mind was "all those flowering plants not getting germinated by insects and animal life".

But now I've read your hypothesis I think "sound is the vibration of air molecules so if there was anything present to vibrate those air molecules, such as the wings of an insect, movement of animals etc, then we'd probably hear something, and it's only a tiny proportion of animals that make sounds that can't be heard by adult humans (though I can still hear bats) so I reckon if they were present we'd hear them. So I like my thing about germination better".

Yes. I could get out more :(

I think my point was that it was good to see people on an entirely different planet would immediately assume the rules were the same as Earth, because that's some quality science right there. (Apart from the wheat bit, why would even assume the plants were actually plants, and why would you assume that even if they were they germinated by birds or insects?)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think my point was that it was good to see people on an entirely different planet would immediately assume the rules were the same as Earth, because that's some quality science right there.
Kinda because the rules of physics apply universe-wide. So technically, sound propagates the same way given the same atmospheric type/medium to travel through. It's not Avatar. There'll never be floating in the sky anti-gravity rock gardens. But I take your point.
Apart from the wheat bit, why would even assume the plants were actually plants, and why would you assume that even if they were they germinated by birds or insects?
For the same reasons as above. You'd make the assumption that earth-like plants were probably earth-like plants because 1) they look like earth-like plants and 2) the rules above mean that, given similar chemistry, evolution would likely go along similar lines, and ecosystems would naturally evolve in the same manner.

Of course, if they examined the plants and found they weren't plants that'd be a total revelation. But I think the fact that all those, on the face of it, higher-order plants are still surviving without animal life at all is the bigger thing for me.

:)

DaGaffer

Kinda because the rules of physics apply universe-wide. So technically, sound propagates the same way given the same atmospheric type/medium to travel through. It's not Avatar. There'll never be floating in the sky anti-gravity rock gardens. But I take your point.

For the same reasons as above. You'd make the assumption that earth-like plants were probably earth-like plants because 1) they look like earth-like plants and 2) the rules above mean that, given similar chemistry, evolution would go along the same rules.

Of course, if they examined the plants and found they weren't plants that'd be a total revelation. But I think the fact that all those, on the face of it, higher-order plants still surviving without animal life at all is the bigger thing for me.

:)

Scientific method 101 - fail

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scientific method 101 - fail
Meh. Humans. You make assumptions and then go test them. That's why I made the point about testing whether they were plants and possible revelations.

But humans would make that sort of assumption in the first place. Then do the science.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
The trailer for Covenant has fucked me off. Trailers now show far too much, I want things to be implied and leave a bit of room for imagination.

DaGaffer

Meh. Humans. You make assumptions and then go test them. That's why I made the point about testing whether they were plants and possible revelations.

But humans would make that sort of assumption in the first place. Then do the science.

When dealing with xenobiology that would be a major error. You'd have to start with chemistry and work your way up. Anyhoo, its only a film, but Ridley Scott clearly has a low opinion of scientists. In reality they probably wouldn't leave the ship for a month.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
When dealing with xenobiology that would be a major error. You'd have to start with chemistry and work your way up. Anyhoo, its only a film, but Ridley Scott clearly has a low opinion of scientists. In reality they probably wouldn't leave the ship for a month.
I suspect they're religious settlers rather than scientists or somesuch guff.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Imagine they landed on a planet they assumed was new in a distant planetary system populated by humanoids, apes if you will, but they could talk. Then, the protagonist finds a ruined monument that was actual built by humans and works out it was actually Earth in the future. That'd make a good movie.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Isn't part of the point that humans (and all life on earth) were seeded by the tall dudes, who also seeded aliens and their planets? All that meeting your maker business?

Is it not conceivable that they have landed on the "home" planet? The atmosphere in the temple thingy was OK for humans...perhaps the planet is also OK.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Imagine they landed on a planet they assumed was new in a distant planetary system populated by humanoids, apes if you will, but they could talk. Then, the protagonist finds a ruined monument that was actual built by humans and works out it was actually Earth in the future. That'd make a good movie.

Don't be ridiculous! They would never make a film like that.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

Tbh first thing I thought when they were flapping to that "hear that silence!" thing was: the black goo mutation generator likely creates bio-weapons some of the time, and everything else the rest of the time. Sooo, the covenant planet had enough creatures seeded to spread plants over most areas, while the bio-weapons and normals destroyed each other.

Imo the goo isn't made to create the nasties, it just happens to work out that way some of the time. Unfortunately.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Just seen the waterfall from the beginning of Prometheus on a cool Drone 4K video of Iceland.
So thats were it is...I feel better now.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yes, a lot of Prometheus was shot in Iceland

leggy

Probably Scottish
Someone just said to me:

'Manchester by the Sea is a lot of boring shit because nothing happens and it was supposed to be this masterpiece. I guess that's Hollywood for ya!'

I obviously then set his house on fire.

Last edited:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I do have time for films like Manchester..but it does take the genre all the way to the edge, best watched with hangover on Sunday afternoon, surrounded by sweets.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Someone just said to me:

'Manchester by the Sea is a lot of boring shit because nothing happens and it was supposed to be this masterpiece. I guess that's Hollywood for ya!'

I obviously then set his house on fire.
Mate of mine said the same about 'Lost in Translation'. I love that film

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Same with In Bruges - sort of movies that picks up sloowly. Doesn't catch on to people without the patience.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Logan showing at the cinema and 'Nathan Summers coming soon' on the phone box.

Love it

sayward

Resident Freddy
I am going to have to watch The Revenant again as saw it on a flight and had no idea Tom Hardy was in it let alone the villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom