Film The General Film Thread

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I know its terribly unfashionable but I am looking forward to it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I see they managed to make an epic fuck-up of the Oscars. Not that either "winner" holds much interest for me. I haven't seen La La Land but I took a look at Moonlight after Job ranted about it; unfortunately he's right, its awful. Not because its a black, gay thing, but because its slow and dull with no plot and poorly sketched out characters. Beautiful cinematography, but fucking boring.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The cynic in me thinks they fucked it up on purpose to get coverage of an ever more irrelevant award.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Iranian director snubs awards cos of Trump and wins..Oscar shocker.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The votes are decided long before he decides not to come. Or are you really so broken to imagine that it's in some way related?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Well, the win of Moonlight is more 'relatable' in current time and were thought to be made as a jab at Trump by some.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Well, seeing as Trump won't allow him into America I imagine its a bit tricky to get to the Oscars...

A Syrian chap who won best documentary short got refused entry to the US...so why bother.

Job

Nope, Oscars are broken, that stunt last night is going to open a big crack in the honesty of the whole debacle.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nope, Oscars are broken, that stunt last night is going to open a big crack in the honesty of the whole debacle.
So you see "conspiracy" and don't address the point about an oscar winner not being allowed into the country by Trump.

Should the Syrian director have been allowed to pick up his prize Job?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, he shouldn't.
Didn't know you were Job old bean. I'm presuming you're not serious 'cause I can't think how someone like him would be a terrorism threat to the US. It's not like he was going to blow himself up at the Oscars :\

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My post is effectively an example of the sheer ignorance of the world just now. Makes no sense eh?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
So you see "conspiracy" and don't address the point about an oscar winner not being allowed into the country by Trump.

You are a prize job.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I have no idea about the syrians back ground, political leanings, or circumstances so am not qualified to make a choice on the subject. And i guess you arent either @Scouse

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have no idea about the syrians back ground, political leanings, or circumstances so am not qualified to make a choice on the subject. And i guess you arent either @Scouse

erm...did the last few months in American politics fly gracefully over your head?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
erm...did the last few months in American politics fly gracefully over your head?
The flight ban from different countries has been stopped. So iguess its not under that he decided or wasnt given leave to visit.

It must be on a single case basis. And as i said on his case i dont know anything about him and if it was just his nationality / religion that forbode him.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Jesus it is bad enough how much coverage media organisations give the Oscars but they really out did themselves over a mistake.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Cant believe that its the top news story on the bbc. Surely something else of more meaningful significance happened globally today.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
These are all case by case things
Your blind faith in due process and trust in authority has been noted before. But even now you can't seriously be thinking that that a schoolteacher from Wales, who already had valid travel documentation and visas, and was on a school trip with other teachers and kids, wasn't singled out for any other reason than him being muslim.

How can you have such blind faith that a system that does that is working "correctly"?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Your blind faith in due process and trust in authority has been noted before. But even now you can't seriously be thinking that that a schoolteacher from Wales, who already had valid travel documentation and visas, and was on a school trip with other teachers and kids, wasn't singled out for any other reason than him being muslim.

How can you have such blind faith that a system that does that is working "correctly"?
I didnt say that the teacher dude was stopped going in because he was muslim. Ofc he was. What i am saying is these are now individual cases rather than complete bans from countries.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What i am saying is these are now individual cases rather than complete bans from countries.
Fair enough, but you intimated that you had no problem with them banning on religious grounds and that as it was on a "case-by-case" basis that it's somehow still OK to ban a welsh schoolteacher...

georgie

FH is my second home
Fair enough, but you intimated that you had no problem with them banning on religious grounds and that as it was on a "case-by-case" basis that it's somehow still OK to ban a welsh schoolteacher...

Presumably they feared for their sheep.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Presumably they feared for their sheep.
They're not big on lamb in the states. Well, certainly not in california. I saw precicely five sheep, the worst looking sheep I'd ever seen and they were right next to an active oil derrick. Nice.

Job

Only if he has a valid visa and not under any blanket ban.
Ordinary Syrians are not likely to be anti western, they would probably be delighted to be invited..but rules are rules, always one who spoils it for everyone.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No i dont agree withthe ban. I dont agree with any borders really should be allowed togo where you want. But there u go

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
There better be an interesting story line / twist in this or I'm calling AIDS forever to Ridley Scott.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There better be an interesting story line / twist in this or I'm calling AIDS forever to Ridley Scott.
Called AIDS on Ridley Scott ages ago when he had WWII landing boats and the new town Peterborough in Robin Hood.

He's got an amazing eye for beauty but that's it. Alien was great because it was bare-bones (and incredibly stylish), Blade Runner was a fluke born of production mishap and Gladiator whilst good was overrated (and again a fluke because the end he wanted was out-of-budget). The Martian was probably good because of Damon's involvement (a director and producer himself who understands story).

The rest of his filmography is generally "OK" or "watchable pap" at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom