The FH Reputation System: My Findings So Far

Belomar

Part of the furniture
There have been a few threads on this already (mainly along the lines of "what the heck is reputation anyway?"), but as intrepid explorer of the FH reputation system, I thought I should add my 2 cents! Below is my collection of questions and answers as pertaining to the reputation system, but this information is far from complete (and also not from the forum moderators/administrators themselves) so I am open to any corrections and additions.

Q1. What is reputation anyway?

Reputation on FH is a way for people to see whether a specific user has a history of posting things that people on the whole tend to agree with (or approve). More specifically, it shows, for lack of a better word, the reputation (credibility, level of contribution, thoughtfulness, etc) of that user on FreddysHouse.

Q2. Why should I give reputation?

If you read a post that amuses you, gives you valuable information, or in some other way contributes to FreddysHouse in a non-trivial way, you should add to that poster's reputation. Not only will it help other people see that this particular poster has a history of valuable contributions to FH, it will also encourage that person to continue writing well-thought-out, funny or informative posts on the forum. In other words, if you like a post, show it and you might get more of the same from that poster!

Q3. How do I give reputation?

You give reputation to a poster by clicking the little scales icon (
reputation.gif
) and then the "Add to Reputation" button in the popup you get from that (the icon might look different depending on the forum style). Note that you can only indicate that you approve with a post, i.e. give good reputation to a user; historically, the old FH forums allowed for negative reputation handout as well, but naturally this was abused to no end and was thus removed to only allow for positive feedback. Remember that this might mean that a person with a high reputation may still not be universally liked (since only his friends and not his enemies can show what they think)! ;)

Also remember that the amount of reputation points you give to a user depends on your own reputation level--the higher reputation you have, the more you will give away (well, you will still keep your own points, of course, but you will have more influence). Furthermore, it is possible that the number of reputation you hand out (and whether you give to the same person) may affect this amount as well.

In some cases you will get the message "You must spread around some reputation before giving it to X again". This means that you have recently given reputation to this poster, and you need to hand it out to some other people before giving it to that user (assumingly to avoid abuse).

Q4. How do I see my own and other people's reputation?

Reputation is shown in two ways: (i) using the green bubbles below your nick and avatar, and (ii) using the tooltip title you get when you move your mouse pointer over these bubbles. You can't see the actual reputation value of other users (only intervals, see below), but you can see your own exact reputation by going to the "User CP" and scrolling to the bottom. Here you will also see the names of the last 10 people who gave you that reputation.

Q5. What are the reputation levels?

Each green bubble represents 100 reputation points. Everyone starts with one green bubble per default, so you basically get this formula: (# of bubbles) = floor((rep points) / 100) + 1. Or, put more simply:
Code:
1 bubble  =   0 -  99 rep points
2 bubbles = 100 - 199 rep points
3 bubbles = 200 - 299 rep points
4 bubbles = 300 - 399 rep points
[...]
(It seems to be a linear sequence, at least to my current knowledge so far.)

The reputation titles then? Well, they are given out every 100 rep points as well, but starting at the 50s marks instead of the even 100 multiples:
Code:
  0 -  49 rep points: [i]"X is on a distinguished road"[/i]
 50 - 149 rep points: [i]"X will be famous soon enough"[/i]
150 - 249 rep points: [i]"X has a spectacular aura about"[/i]
250 - 349 rep points: [i]"X is a jewel in the rough"[/i]
[further titles unknown to me so far]

Q6. Is there a relation between my title and my reputation?

Not to my knowledge, no. The title (i.e. "Fledgling Freddie", "Regular Freddie", "Scrounging Bastard", etc) are connected to your postcount, not your reputation.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunatly its meaningless, the previous threads of "give me rep points" have made the feature useless.

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Tears said:
Unfortunatly its meaningless, the previous threads of "give me rep points" have made the feature useless.

totally agree :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Someones bitter because he only has one bulb!

Id rather have one bub of genuine reputation than 4 of spam :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
On the other hand, Tears, you have no idea of knowing what people got their rep points from. ;)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:
On the other hand, Tears, you have no idea of knowing what people got their rep points from. ;)

Im happy with my 7 rep points :)

Code:
 	The FH Reputation System...  	11th October 2005 10:57 AM  	Shanaia  	
	Download patches? 	24th September 2005 10:36 AM 	kerosene 	
	Jacina's Sash FFA, Satur... 	11th September 2005 12:08 AM 	Beyon 	
	20-25 exp grp sunday 15:... 	11th August 2005 02:04 PM 	Ryuno 	
	ML3 : Full Raid : Thursd... 	15th July 2005 09:24 AM 	Kaun_IA 	
	A truce to end the flame... 	1st October 2004 07:17 PM 	Zede 	
	SIGNUP DRAGON RAID! Weds... 	2nd September 2004 11:46 PM 	Outlander

Nothing to hide here, but its obvious to me from the other threads, its a "give me rep" and "ill give you one back" whatever floats your boat tho.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
Tears said:

GIVE ME REP POINTS - cummon u know it makes sense!!!

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Tears said:
Nothing to hide here, but its obvious to me from the other threads, its a "give me rep" and "ill give you one back" whatever floats your boat tho.
Whatever. :rolleyes: And this is me:
Code:
The FH Reputation System... 11th October 2005 12:12 PM Norvindus  
To all that say I never ... 11th October 2005 12:05 PM occy  
United we stand! (allian... 11th October 2005 12:52 AM Tiarta  
How to Never Lose Fairly... 8th October 2005 12:33 AM Lomme  
How to Never Lose Fairly... 7th October 2005 12:16 PM Tijl  
How to Never Lose Fairly... 7th October 2005 11:42 AM delete  
How to Never Lose Fairly... 7th October 2005 10:08 AM Basic_X  
How to Never Lose Fairly... 7th October 2005 08:54 AM Congax  
How to Never Lose Fairly... 7th October 2005 07:52 AM boogie  
How to Never Lose Fairly... 7th October 2005 07:44 AM Elvo^Rylu
(Thanks everyone!)

I think I'll have to agree with Gamah. ;)

Anyway, this is beyond the scope of this thread, the original post is the my current map of my exploration of the FH reputation system (useless or not). :)

Gamah

Banned
ohohho can I play

The FH Reputation System... 11th October 2005 11:05 AM Belomar
Hlep wit thene 11th October 2005 08:06 AM Gulag Vilse
Raggell vs Evita grp(vid) 11th October 2005 01:33 AM Abnormal
Stealthers... 8th October 2005 08:35 PM Bloodcore
stuck and banned?GOA plz... 8th October 2005 12:25 AM Legott
Gratz Afrandor on RR6 6th October 2005 05:47 PM Afran
Artefact Respecs 5th October 2005 06:10 PM Jaison X
lololol @ mids 5th October 2005 03:20 PM Rothzak xD
lololol @ mids 5th October 2005 03:09 PM Megarevs hah thats manisch luring albs to his neverzergland
lololol @ mids 5th October 2005 08:19 AM Gahn

Oh an thx belo I am now spectacular aura :cheers:

Ezteq

Queen of OT
omg the moles got 4 bubbles!!

i like the rep system, i like being able to show people that i really enjoy their posts. Even if its a post i dont agree with but i respect the poster i will give a rep because of how well thought out the discussions are.

threads like the "gimme a rep" one are a bit of fun, bit like playing tag when your a kid and the reps from that thread dont really count but reps i get from other people on other threads are very cherished to me as it shows that people like what i said, like Tears said he's happy with his 7 reps because he felt he earned them, no one else knows how many reps youve got so its not really like your showing off.

nice system.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
my rep points all come from about 3 ppl, i have 30 of them :)

come on my faithful 3, vote for me!

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Ezteq said:
omg the moles got 4 bubbles!!
Indeed! :p
Ezteq said:
i like the rep system, i like being able to show people that i really enjoy their posts.
Exactly. :) I'm quite liberal about giving away points to help encourage people to continue doing their thing, and it also helps to avoid getting the "you must spread some reputation around" message too often. :)
Ezteq said:
threads like the "gimme a rep" one are a bit of fun, bit like playing tag when your a kid and the reps from that thread dont really count
Indeed. And it's not as if rep from those kinds of threads add up to much either. :)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Hi,

Some nice summaries there Belomar and rep awarded for making something more interesting than the usual whine here. Just a few points though.

Belomar said:
Q1. What is reputation anyway?

Reputation on FH is a way for people to see whether a specific user has a history of posting things that people on the whole tend to agree with (or approve). More specifically, it shows, for lack of a better word, the reputation (credibility, level of contribution, thoughtfulness, etc) of that user on FreddysHouse.

Your response to this question a bit 'normative'. By this I mean your being a bit overprescriptive and I feel strongly that the reasons for giving reputation will vary quite a bit (most likely).

People probably also give reputation because they are mates, they group together, because they have it in their signature, or maybe even because they are l33t and are recognised to be part of various cliques.

So whilst your ideas are nice and indicate probably how people 'should' use it the system is most likely much more variable and so your reputation might also indicate your level of l33tness, that your a reputation whore, that you group with lots of people in game or that you have lots of friends who happen to use FH. ;)

Still it is a nice point.

Belomar said:
Q2. Why should I give reputation?

If you read a post that amuses you, gives you valuable information, or in some other way contributes to FreddysHouse in a non-trivial way, you should add to that poster's reputation. Not only will it help other people see that this particular poster has a history of valuable contributions to FH, it will also encourage that person to continue writing well-thought-out, funny or informative posts on the forum. In other words, if you like a post, show it and you might get more of the same from that poster!

Ok so if you can accept that the reasons for giving reputation vary then the system is likely to have a variable impact on the forums. All the l33t speak people reinforce each others egos and you get more l33t language. All of the mates spread their reputation amongst themselves and mates come to make each other feel good about themselves. Equally attention whores continue to post things that they think are funny and so the system might even reinforce negative behaviour.

Just because it only has a positive rating does not make it always a positive system.

;)

Anyway nice thread and yes rep awared as a result you tart!

Sharkith

edit - bloody system won't let me give you more reputation ;)

Adari

Part of the furniture
it was fun when you could give people negative rep

it isnt anymore

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:

Don't need to agree or approve to give a rep point. If the post opens an interesting debate/discussion or give to you a diferent point of view of ours, but nevertheless interesting should be rewarded aswell. :)

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
where to check that what posts got rep point? I clicked on
reputation.gif
, but nothing like that there... ;<

Belomar

Part of the furniture
I'm happy to report that the next interval, 350-449, has the title "X is just really nice". :p Silly title, but thanks to those who helped me get there. ;)

Oh, and Stalky, not sure I understand what you mean. Not sure you can check who you have handed out rep to (can you?), but you can check your own User CP for the 10 most recent reputation assignments you received (if any).

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Marchus said:
where to check that what posts got rep point? I clicked on
reputation.gif
, but nothing like that there... ;<

rofl just keep clicking on that ;)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Belomar said:
I'm happy to report that the next interval, 350-449, has the title "X is just really nice". :p Silly title, but thanks to those who helped me get there. ;)

Oh, and Stalky, not sure I understand what you mean. Not sure you can check who you have handed out rep to (can you?), but you can check your own User CP for the 10 most recent reputation assignments you received (if any).

yay - I had to spread some around but finally gave you a point or this thread - ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom