Tilda

Flim is such a rep farmer!!

"Test post, someone rep it"

I ask you!!

I'm proud of my rep!

Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 12:10 PM Donledirse
Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 10:53 AM FallycSymbol
Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 09:02 AM Wuntvor
Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 12:47 AM Petwick(Ebony Hand)
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 10:40 PM Dracus
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 09:49 PM Saje
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 07:52 PM Avrot
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 06:34 PM shadowdweller/bog
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 06:29 PM Kaun_IA
DAoC vs WoW - the afterm... 5th October 2005 07:47 PM Musejedi

Dorimor1

Banned
Another rep-seeking thread by Belomar (well you deserve it)

When will he stop getting rep points?!

Puppet

Part of the furniture
I entirely agree with Sharkith. The system is.. well heading towards infinite. Because there is no normalization nor a way to loose Reputation-points, its more or less useless: You can only climb up in the ladder.

Best proof is, sorry Belomar, Belomar the Mole himselves. He's been begging for reputation points for quite a few weeks and plenty receiving. The problem with not being able to give negative points is the fact you can, without any fear, make jokes about others.

Make jokes about people wellknown in the community (but not popular) and you will see Reputation-points flood in. Always a few people with likewise-thoughts who, after some nagging for Reputation-points, click on the icon.

But it gets worse, because people can 'reward eachother' and people can see who gives them reputation points. 'You stroke my ePeen, I stroke yours'.

A title like 'is just really nice' might be, in an extreme form, be the result of various jokes about people who arent very popular in the community. Basically a electronic bullying, except its now awarded with another ePeen-measure thing: The reputationpoints.

Because there's no way to loose reputationpoints, it has no meaning on how the poster really is. If I theoretically have a few good posts, where the rewards flooded in, and then 2000 postings which are absolute crap, I still keep my same old reputation points.

Only way to make sure its a 1337-o-meter is to add functionality that someone with a high reputation point can give out more rep-points in 1 vote. Stroke the e-Peen of the high reputationpoint-poster and he might give you a reputation back, resulting in extra points!

So the guide to earning Reputation-points can be summoned up very easily:

Start up Photoshop
Add in a random picture, try to be original
Think of an unpopular person to some people, make sure the people with high reputation-points arent friends with the unpopular person! As an example, take me, Manisch, Alaron, any scout, any bonedancer, any warlock'
Post it on FH
Type under it 'If you like it, dont forget to give me reputationpoints'.
Spam it on IRC/guildchat/alliancechat to get max audience
Cash in reputation-points

Have fun boosting about your reputation-points. Ofcourse make sure to stroke the ePeen of other people who give out reputation for max ass-kissing and becoming 'one of the insiders'.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Puppet said:
Make jokes about people wellknown in the community (but not popular) and you will see Reputation-points flood in. Always a few people with likewise-thoughts who, after some nagging for Reputation-points, click on the icon.

damn it I can't give you any reputation points I am going to have to go and find someone else to donate points to before I can come back here.... its a menace I tell you! Oh and /agree with you on this. ;)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with Puppet - No disrespect to Belomar (and some other high rep posters) but alot of the posters you see with high rep will have gained it by posting insulting/distastefull posts, spam, nasty comments, 'insider' jokes, etc etc - things that are "fun" to some people apparently, but less than usefull/fun to the community as a whole. Or they will have in effect traded points with each other, or have begged for points. Im still only "on a distinguished road" but im proud of my posting history nevertheless.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Belomar again.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i vote we make Belomar our test subject a kind of Guinea Mole if you will, and see when titles we can aspire to.

and tbh i don't really think the thing of people just giving their mates reps makes that much of a difference, i give reps to people when i like their posts, don't care if i know them or not.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Flim is such a rep farmer!!

"Test post, someone rep it"

I ask you!!

I'm proud of my rep!

Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 12:10 PM Donledirse
Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 10:53 AM FallycSymbol
Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 09:02 AM Wuntvor
Darkspire Advice 11th October 2005 12:47 AM Petwick(Ebony Hand)
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 10:40 PM Dracus
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 09:49 PM Saje
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 07:52 PM Avrot
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 06:34 PM shadowdweller/bog
Darkspire Advice 10th October 2005 06:29 PM Kaun_IA
DAoC vs WoW - the afterm... 5th October 2005 07:47 PM Musejedi

was a good post too

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
Was a good thread even if it was a little transparent, not that I didnt reward belo because I enjoyed his post and several other peoples in the thread. Unfortunately it has soured a little and you have a few bang wagon'ers jumping on etc.

What I dont like about the rep system is you cant see who gave rep to a person and for what. It has already been said basically that a person with a bigger rep than most may have that because a circle of people gave them alot of rep points or they just poked fun at people to raise it also, if some people get positive rep thats recognised forever while when that same person may have done something negative its not recorded and basically forgotten forever. This is sort of the reverse to real life-history and relationships in general I suppose as lots of guys can cooberate with me :m00: . Do everything or most things right 99% of the time and nothing is said, make a mistake and its never forgiven or forgotten :D

Ezteq

Queen of OT
mind you if you do something reaaaaally bad the mods get the slipper out and give you an old fashoned whoopin down by the orchard.... so i hear

they say deebses has a garfield embossed on it that leaves an imprint for weeks...

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Ezteq said:
mind you if you do something reaaaaally bad the mods get the slipper out and give you an old fashoned whoopin down by the orchard.... so i hear

a whole world of different reputation as well I hear :p

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Aoln said:
Why do you think he made it? :p

Every action have at least one motive. The simpleton will only see one, while others can accept more.

And yes Puppet, ofcourse a system like this can be abused.

Let's take another example of a "moderated" forum: IRC: #prydwen.stealthers

Although we don't have any means to be recognized, beyond our name, we have moderators. Moderators that can ban people, make demeaning topics et al.

Sometimes you see those ops kicking people for spamming or rude behaviour - that seems the intent with the system. However, sometimes you also see those ops kicking people for other, more personal, reasons. Forinstance, if someone ain't in the "clique". Someone doing something ingame the op disagrees with. Or, simply to humilitate another person for no other reason than doing it - perhaps as part to make himself look "cool". And then... a combination of those.

This FH reputation system is really nothing more than a gimmic though. In the end we could see the same methods used on IRC here on FH - and we already do.

Someone you dislike posted something? Go get your buddies and flame him!

There are countless examples of those threads - especially in the RvR sections. And, even though the mods try to ... well, moderate, they cannot go into suchs detail and probably shouldn't.

The benefit with the reputation system is, that other people can see that the poster have done something others agreed with/liked. Even if that means those "others" are his friends.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Some interesting points in this thread now. First of all, let me note that my initial post was written from my own view of the rep system, and like I say in that post, rep points can serve as an encouragement to people to continue "contributing" to the forum (whatever that means)--they certainly do for me. So thus, naturally one motivation for this thread was to earn some reputation points, provided people appreciated it. It seems they did, and so I was rewarded accordingly. However, in my opinion, this thread does contain useful information that is not immediately obvious to FH users, so it seems to me that the system worked in this instance.

As for the point raised by others about the flaws of the reputation system due to not being able to give negative reputation, note that I already addressed this in my original post (i.e. I am aware of the system being far from perfect):
Belomar said:
Remember that this might mean that a person with a high reputation may still not be universally liked (since only his friends and not his enemies can show what they think)!
Enabling negative reputation feedback would be abused to no end on the DAoC forums, where people actually often are in direct opposition with each other.

I've already discussed the "you-give-rep-and-I-give-you-rep-in-return" threads; you can choose to believe that high-rep posters (such as myself) have received their rep from such threads or in-game buddies who just give rep out of loyalty. However, this is far from the truth, such rep farming threads have little impact, and I would personally welcome a forum change so that Flim could nuke those kinds of thread and have people lose their rep gained from them. Furthermore, my in-game buddies (i.e. those that play in my fixed group for instance) seem to be more reluctant to give me rep points than the average FH user (just to spite me, naturally)! ;) (Hey, Azathrim, you still owe me! ;))

Puppet's claim that reputation points are some kind of 1337-o-meter is rather misguided--I consider myself as far from "l337" as humanly possible (I would claim spending time on IRC backtalking others in public channels is more "l337", eh Puppet?). I do enjoy making jokes about people in the community that I view to be stuck-up and self-important, but at the same time, I am not unaware of the fact that the same could be said about me. In fact, Puppet's guide to farming rep points using Photoshop comes off rather bitter in my ears (perhaps because he has been the victim of such a joke?), but the fact of the matter is that my jokes are rather harmless, and I would frankly be flattered if someone took the trouble I take to joke about me.

Examples of such jokes (beyond the Puppet one) include Vodkafairy, Gamah, Bluesky + Brite, Xxcalibur, Namefake, and Pip. I wish someone would invest that kind of time to make fun of me! Other examples of a more "harmless" nature include How to Never Lose Fairly in 8vs8!, Evolution of a DAoC Player (admittedly not one of my best), Prydwen Stealth RvR, and What Do You Do When the Servers is Down?. Please tell me, dear Puppet, if any of these images offend you in any way, and I will do my outmost to avoid those jokes in the future!

Quinlan

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:

However nicely you put it you basically are a 'Reputation whore'. I dont care about it but it is funny to see you deny and acknowledge it in one post :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Deny what? I am saying that the rep system is a nice motivation for my posting, nothing to deny there. :)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Bel you have made some good points it was just over prescriptive and I feel that things are more variable thats all.

One other point - by your writing style your a male am I right?

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Sharkith said:
One other point - by your writing style your a male am I right?
Indeed, whatever that has got to do with anything, I am a male (mole). ;)

Septina

Part of the furniture
oi m8ies! wuts up with the reputation point fetisch? Oo

Seriously tho, the reputation points system seems rather useless in my opinion.
Does it actually do anything else than increase your shiny bar of green squares and give you a nice but oh so useless title? :p

When i get rep points i'd like it to be for something i posted or did that people agreed with/enjoyed not for something like 'keke m8s ^_^ liek rep meh i need da poinnnnntzzzz plz!!111'.

As for the whine on Belo i have no idea if he's been "rep point farming" in the way i mentioned above, but the times i've repped him its been for his creations which i mostly find hilarious. :]

Ezteq

Queen of OT
theres are absoloutely tonnes of useless stuff that people like, rep points are no different, some people collect stamps, some beer mats some (i used to) collect hub caps, bic lighters, pens with naked ladies in when you turn them upside down the ress falls off, madonna films, elastic bands, novelty thimbles, coasters, old video games, posters.

Well basically anything can be collected so whats wrong with making a collection of rep points? going out there making unusual funny posts and putting in that little extra effort just to hope someone appreciates it and reps you.
We dont all have rl mates that use this forum and we dont all summon up said mates to give us free reps some people actually try and put some effort and some work in to it and im sure that for those people posts like "rep points are useless" and "people only get points from whoorin" are really quite annoying/ maybe even upseting.

Dont tar everyone with the same brush kids.

Gamah

Banned
Septina said:
oi m8ies! wuts up with the reputation point fetisch? Oo

Seriously tho, the reputation points system seems rather useless in my opinion.
Does it actually do anything else than increase your shiny bar of green squares and give you a nice but oh so useless title? :p

When i get rep points i'd like it to be for something i posted or did that people agreed with/enjoyed not for something like 'keke m8s ^_^ liek rep meh i need da poinnnnntzzzz plz!!111'.

As for the whine on Belo i have no idea if he's been "rep point farming" in the way i mentioned above, but the times i've repped him its been for his creations which i mostly find hilarious. :]

idiotm8

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Dont really mind you making jokes about me, Belomar. Photoshop all you like. In the end however I get the distinct feeling the Reputation-points are for you no longer a motivation to post stuff, but the direct reason.

In my opinion when people post, just to earn reputationpoints, something is wrong with that system.

I consider it a 1337-o-meter, because quite a few people seem to care so much about the reputation-points. I think most people have seen the literal 'Gimme rep-points plzzzzzzzzzzz' begging from various people, including you. So you consider those Rep-points as quite important. So obviously to you, and others, the amount of reputation-points is important. And therefore its a measure of 1337-ness in some circles and audiences. It would have gone a long way if you didnt literally begged for them for weeks. ( example )

but up to you really what you do on FH - aslong people dont forget how some of you earned reputationpoints: By insulting and making jokes over the back of others. Which makes some of the 'titles' pretty ironic: 'XXXX is just really very nice' :/

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
To be fair Puppet, photoshopping a picture like that deserves a rep point :p

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Puppet said:
but up to you really what you do on FH - aslong people dont forget how some of you earned reputationpoints: By insulting and making jokes over the back of others. Which makes some of the 'titles' pretty ironic: 'XXXX is just really very nice' :/
My point still stands, Puppet: In my opinion, my "photoshop" jokes are harmless and good-natured, made with the express purpose of poking fun at some aspect of FreddysHouse I have observed, not to hurt someone. I still can't see how this translates into making jokes or insults "behind the back" of people. I wouldn't joke about someone if he or she hadn't stuck out his neck a lot in the forums--don't look at me for pouncing on "innocent" forum posters. Naturally, this does not make me immune to criticism myself, I expect the same courtesy back; like I said, I would be flattered if someone spent the same amount of time poking fun of me.

I actually believe you need to lighten up a bit and stop taking everything as a lethal insult. Furthermore, for one who doesn't care about the rep system, you seem to fret an awful lot about it. ;)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Belomar said:
Indeed, whatever that has got to do with anything, I am a male (mole). ;)

you keep using 'I' in everything you say. Most males do that, women tend not to - and the result is quite different tone to what you say. Think about it ;) - Puppet does have a legitimate point all joking aside :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom