Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Interested to see how it pains out in the rain, assuming it does. Will the 'Bulls be as quick? The McLarens are mighty close and especially with Lewis in the rain, it could be tight-fought. I'll go as far as saying if Vettel and the Bull's can retain their speed in the rain, they'll be a certain championship double act.

I dunno, Brawn won so many races early last year and then everyone caught up - it wouldn't be surprising to see the performance gap close significantly.

Apparently the major upgrade are arriving for most teams in Spain so I guess we get to see then if Red Bull get to run away with both championships or if we get a closer battle.

( Alonso is fucked anyway due to his engine count ).

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
The Red Bull will be fast whether it rains or not, and Vettel is one of the best rain racers on the grid. Probably 2nd only to Schumacher.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Cracking race. And I wonder if people will start shutting up now about Button's supposed inadequacies as a driver and a champion. He called it perfectly and would have been even further ahead without the safety car. Hamilton is out and out faster, but he relies on his team to tell him what to do too much.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Very true. I do wonder if both McLarens will receive penalties, and McLaren themselves also for their supposed conduct today. Tough one to call.

Good race though, helped yet again by the weather. Second safety car was entirely pointless and any other circuit would've had it cleared within seconds.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Fucking awful race. Everything that happened was due to changing conditions.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Excellent race, was a bit "wtf" in the first few laps. And it looked pretty simultaneous between Hamilton and Vettel in the pits... but Vettel was released a fraction sooner. There was some very unruly pit-lane behaviour though, surely you're supposed to go into the pitlane between the white lines and not overtake up to that (and indeed, on) that first corner. Alonso/Massa and Hamilton/Vettel and I think there was another one but I forget who.

No matter how hard I try (which admittedly isn't very hard) I just can't bring myself to like Button. :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
That watching the effects of changing weather conditions is not as fun as watching a competition between teams and drivers?

Someones got the hump that Button+Hamilton stole the race :d

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That watching the effects of changing weather conditions is not as fun as watching a competition between teams and drivers?

So I wasn't looking at a race where drivers and teams had to make key decisions (and most of them got it wrong), where two safety cars bunched the field, and where there was a buttload of overtaking (which I think normally satisfies the "competition between drivers" requirement). Sorry, my mistake.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Someones got the hump that Button+Hamilton stole the race :d

Not at all. I just want to see a good race that isn't decided purely on changing weather conditions.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I love the standings :)

01 Jenson Button 60
02 Nico Rosberg 50
03 Fernando Alonso 49
04 Lewis Hamilton 49
05 Sebastian Vettel 45

Rosberg is the hero so far this season really :) But nice to see the reigning champion on top after four races.

Kryten

Old Cow.
It's all good - championship is very much wide open :D
Rosberg has done a sterling job so far especially in a car that's considered a bit further back performance wise than the 'Bulls and Mclarens, and even more so when you consider his team-mate.

Good to see Vettel and Hamilton cleared of any wrong-doing from that pitlane incident. It was racing, and in a race one person isn't entirely likely to give up their place for the sake of a little mistake.

Vae

Resident Freddy
My interest in F1 this year has resulted solely from the fact that the company I work for is sponsoring Nico Rosberg! Think it's the first time we've forayed into this level of sponsorship for anyone before so it's nice to see him doing well.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Hmm I just had a thought about scoring systems.

why not just make it time based?

whoever has the lowest total race finish time over the season wins?

Obv you would have to have some sort of 10-60s penalty for DNFing :)

It would be very cool though. I might go work out who's winning so far later tonight :p

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
So winning a wet race would be worth the same 'points' as coming 15th in a dry race?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
So winning a wet race would be worth the same 'points' as coming 15th in a dry race?

How do you figure.. everyone would have a much slower time.

And the time penalty would be the leaders time + x amount, or perhaps just the same time as the 15th place finisher? Or last finisher if not that many finish.

And to make the key point - time difference would basically be the scoring - as that would be the difference between winner/losers.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Good to see Vettel and Hamilton cleared of any wrong-doing from that pitlane incident. It was racing, and in a race one person isn't entirely likely to give up their place for the sake of a little mistake.

I'm not so sure. Pushing another car in the direction of mechanics, no matter if they were only going 50mph or whatever it equates to, is very, very dangerous.

As for the being side by side down the pitlane, it has happened many a time... well done to the stewards for getting that call right but pushing another car towards mechanics is just plain dangerous.

ECA

I am a FH squatter

They were not cleared - they were both reprimanded.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I just got back from my volcano extended work trip, and watched this and the MotoGP.

The F1 presentation, build up and intrigue are all much better presented, but I find the MotoGP racing far more exciting.

Saying that there were some great overtakes in the rain, and the aggressiveness and competitiveness of the drivers was obvious to see in all the pit lane manoeuvres :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's karma for him being such a cocky fucker. Can't stand Hamilton, great driver, crap personality.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Tbh when you've got that sort of talent I let it slide. Schumacher has the personality you'd expect of a pitbull. Senna was nothing short of a cock. Raikkonen just didn't have one.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I don't get the "Hamilton's a douche" thing. One of my friends is like that as well but I just don't see it.

Young, rich, talented, semi-good looking, hot girlfriend, maybe it's just the green monster?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I don't get the "Hamilton's a douche" thing. One of my friends is like that as well but I just don't see it.

Young, rich, talented, semi-good looking, hot girlfriend, maybe it's just the green monster?

Wtf has Shrek got to do with this? ;)

I think the hatred comes as much from his actions as the press here in England. He's done some truly daft things in his career and handled them rather badly yet the media continues to slurp it all up, no matter what he does.

Lets take today as an example; he knew Mark Webber was considerably faster then himself, Vettel was behind by a huge margin and loosing a few seconds a lap due to issues so what does he do? Continues to push on 49 lap old tyres, regardless of the fact that he's one of the most aggressive racers in the field on his tyres. To me, that seems daft...whether or not that was the reason for his second to last lap blowout, it was a plain stupid choice. Fair enough, he's there to race but seriously? Imagine how the media would have responded if Massa, Schumacher, Alonso... anyone high up the field had of done the same thing and how the media would have reacted.

I really like the new BBC team but their impartiality (sp?) is marginal at best. Remember Monza last year when he crashed when he had nothing to gain by pushing and the media hailed him as a hero in formula one for never giving up? Liegate when the only reason he admitted guilt was when he was caught 100% red handed despite having over a week to think it through and come clean? He was hailed as a hero for his honesty... Then there are the moves on track, spygate, his puzzling antics off the track and every time he comes back wanting to be seen as the good guy of the paddock.

I have no doubt he is one of the fastest, most aggressive and entertaining drivers to watch but personally I wont root for the guy because he pretends to be something he's not. Schumacher did some equally dubious things on track but everyone knew he had done them, he knew people knew he'd done them and he simply didn't care what people thought of him during his career. Senna was a dirty racer, Prost was dirty at times but at least they didn't pretend to be something they weren't in the paddock. Even as I'm typing this, I'm getting annoyed that I just compared him to those people; why? Because that's the medias effect. Right from the beginnings of the first season he was being compared to those people which undermines their acheivements and exaggerated his own at the time.

Sure I've missed a couple of points I was going to make but hey-ho. This race was a bit boring... I just hope it picks up a bit as the season unfolds because I can quite easily see this turning into a one team race. :(

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh when you've got that sort of talent I let it slide. Schumacher has the personality you'd expect of a pitbull. Senna was nothing short of a cock. Raikkonen just didn't have one.

And Mansell was the Steve Davies of the F1 world! James Hunt was just a dirty pervert, but still rules the podiums of my early F1 life.

Kryten

Old Cow.
And what precisely is wrong with being a dirty pervert? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom