Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by ECA, Jul 29, 2009.

1. caLLous

caLLous I am a FH squatter FH Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gumbo

Gumbo FH is my second home

Spent the last couple of nights in testing sessions on iRacing with Lando Norris and Max Verstappen.

I've nothing constructive to add except it felt bloody cool and they are a lot faster than me!

• Like Like x 3
  3. caLLous

Lando Norris seems like a really nice guy. He's on Reddit and has randomly popped up here and there in /r/formula1 - including this post (because some other random guy had been allowed to touch an F1 car). It was great to see him actually getting a seat for next year.

Also, I'm not surprised he was quick, he has a seriously impressive sim racing rig in his house...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gumbo

It's worse than that, you can see in that vid that he has 2!

He was racing the MX-5s quite a lot in the week 13 races recently, I wonder whether the other rig has a 3 pedal set up.

I am dangerously contemplating building a dedicated rig myself now, but it;s going to cost many many poundses and I'm not sure I can really justify it.

5. caLLous

Yeah, my problem is I have "fads" where I will play a type of game and then just not play it again for a year. I have a Thrustmaster setup - TX base (with a Sparco R383 Rally Wheel which I absolutely adore), T3PA-PRO pedals and TH8A shifter on a Wheel Stand Pro base - but as we speak it's just sitting in the corner not doing an awful lot, and you really have to put in the hours to get good. I'd love a proper rig but I just don't think I'd use it enough to make me feel that it had been worth it. I fully expect to get back into it all when Dirt Rally 2.0 comes out in February.

6. Gumbo

I'm the same, I'll play something to death for a few weeks, then move on for a year. Tends to rotate between iRacing, Kerbal Space Program, DCS, poker, World of Warships, then other randomness. The Racing Rig could double up for flight sims though, with the right design. I really want to borrow a VR headset to see if it makes me spew. If that would work then I could potentially just run one pc in the room which makes it more viable..

In other news Sage Karam was in the split above me in an F3 race a minute ago. Iracing is really taking off with the pro drivers. It's like going down to your local park and Harry Kane shows up for a kick about.

7. caLLous

Oh yeah, the Rift - another on-a-whim purchase which only comes out occasionally. I tell you what though, I haven't found a more immersive VR + wheel/shifter/pedals/etc gaming experience than Euro Truck Simulator 2 - it's incredible. Also, Google Earth VR is amazing.

8. Exioce

Exioce Part of the furniture

None of the PC racing games I've tried have had as good force feedback on my G27 as the Gran Turismo series, so even with the Oculus Rift I've been unable to get into them.

Unrelated +1 for Google Earth VR though, that is amazing and I keep going back to it in awe.