Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Then don't watch it?

F1 has come a long way in terms of safety for drivers, I'm sure many of those drivers would be horrified if they were told they need to risk their lives more, or gtfo.

I want more risk, but not more risk to me.

Bring back bear baiting I say.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't anymore. Which is a shame, because it used to be *much* better.

If you know the sport and what to look for there can be interesting battles to watch... overall I agree though. Hopefully they'll get it right with the new regs :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Watching F1 is the same as watching Eastenders.

Its become the McDonalds of motorsport.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Hot take after hot take in that video. He's not wrong about any of it (except there have been some great races this year) but none of what he says is original. They're not going to get rid of the stewards, although they do need to consistently/predictably apply penalties and let "racing incidents" go more often.

There are changes coming (refuelling, steeper rear wing angles to deflect air higher to enable cars to follow more closely, less thermal degradation on tyres to name a few) - as to whether any of them make a difference, time will tell.
They are bringing refuelling back? I really dont see the point in that. They have done it before a few times and gone back. I guess it opens up different strats. But for the danger it adds during refuelling everyone really goes with the same strats refuelling or not.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Why don't they do forced refuelling? That way they'll be more inclined to go balls to the wall.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Then don't watch it?

F1 has come a long way in terms of safety for drivers, I'm sure many of those drivers would be horrified if they were told they need to risk their lives more, or gtfo.

I want more risk, but not more risk to me.

Bring back bear baiting I say.

Most of the drivers think the stewards are strangling the sport. Hamilton has said it, Verstappen has said it, Vettel has said it. The drivers themselves would much prefer a wider scope for "racing incident". As for the rest of Clarkson's rant; hot take; F1 has always had periods of "non-racing", certainly for the last (*eek*) 40 years I've been watching it (I went to my first GP in 1979). Everyone only remembers the highlights; in truth 2/3 of every season is crap; and it has little to do with dominant teams either. The stewards are definitely out of control (safety technology actually means they could afford to let up a lot), but the racing is as good and bad as its always been.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They are bringing refuelling back? I really dont see the point in that. They have done it before a few times and gone back. I guess it opens up different strats. But for the danger it adds during refuelling everyone really goes with the same strats refuelling or not.
Less weight in the cars due to them not having to carry a race's worth of fuel means they will be quicker in the earlier stages. It's not definitely coming back but the tyre manufacturer struggles to make a tyre that works well for such a wide range of car weights. Then they get moaned at for it degrading too fast or not degrading fast enough etc.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ferrari are such a shit show. Well on top in the practice sessions and now they're both out of quali with mechanical issues.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I've mixed feelings about this. Would be nice to see LeClerc at the front with Verstappen, but..
Looks like rain for the race and we've got a couple of very fast cars out of position. Should be plenty of action.
Ferrari might be waving the sacking stick again soon though.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've mixed feelings about this. Would be nice to see LeClerc at the front with Verstappen, but..
Looks like rain for the race and we've got a couple of very fast cars out of position. Should be plenty of action.
Ferrari might be waving the sacking stick again soon though.

Yes, but... Max v Lewis could be an equally thrilling dice - the whole race is mixed up so could be great to watch!

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Yes, but... Max v Lewis could be an equally thrilling dice - the whole race is mixed up so could be great to watch!

I'm not sure if the RedBull has the pace, it might, whereas we know the Ferrari has. Can't see Bottas wanting to stay behind Verstappen for long. Should be a fun watch, plenty of first corner shenanigans.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
For anyone who is ambivalent about watching F1 today's race has the ingredients to be a great spectacle!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hungary, earlier today.

y6n06xavt7d31.jpg

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It sounds like the driver got away with it and no other vehicles were involved.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Brundle called it the 4th straight great race but it wouldn't have been that good had Hamilton not been flying towards Verstappen in the last 20 odd laps. Ferrari were completely anonymous.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Brundle called it the 4th straight great race but it wouldn't have been that good had Hamilton not been flying towards Verstappen in the last 20 odd laps. Ferrari were completely anonymous.

I thought it was great; sure it was a two horse race but it was another great example of the strategic element of F1.

And try as I might, I just don't like Verstappen; he's a terrific driver, but still a total dickhole.

NB . What's going on with Hamilton's hair?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The front two action was intriguing from start to finish. It went from looking like Hamilton would close the gap to him only taking bits of a second off to Verstappen losing his tyres and turning into a sitting duck. Other than that though, not a lot happened through the pack. Bottas had nightmare of a start and nearly collected Hamilton twice in the first few corners. Not great when he is apparently driving for his seat, to be replaced by Ocon if he fails to impress.

Verstappen is a twat. I'm not sure what it is - he has a certain arrogance about him which he isn't good/successful enough to pull off, he whines like nobody's business or maybe it's just his face.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Most of the drivers think the stewards are strangling the sport. Hamilton has said it, Verstappen has said it, Vettel has said it. The drivers themselves would much prefer a wider scope for "racing incident". As for the rest of Clarkson's rant; hot take; F1 has always had periods of "non-racing", certainly for the last (*eek*) 40 years I've been watching it (I went to my first GP in 1979). Everyone only remembers the highlights; in truth 2/3 of every season is crap; and it has little to do with dominant teams either. The stewards are definitely out of control (safety technology actually means they could afford to let up a lot), but the racing is as good and bad as its always been.

Until they are on the wrong end of a incident that the stewards now do nothing about since the drivers wanted it, fact is they are overpaid cry babies.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Now they're investigating Vettel but nobody knows exactly what for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom