The end of file sharing as we know it...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I wonder how much money the big media companies are going to be donating to the labour party.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Well, Mandelson's arranged himself a nice post govt job anyway, well done to him.

cock. :kissit:

SilverHood

FH is my second home
What happened in Sweden when they passed a similar law... was that file sharing dropped by a significant factor for a few months. Then came back in an encrypted form, even bigger.

Anyway, it makes a mockery of our rights. We can be found guilty of file sharing without even seeing a courtroom.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
What happened in Sweden when they passed a similar law... was that file sharing dropped by a significant factor for a few months. Then came back in an encrypted form, even bigger.

Anyway, it makes a mockery of our rights. We can be found guilty of file sharing without even seeing a courtroom.

The other thing that happened was people moved away from filesharing and over to streaming because the main detection method is paid companies downloading via torrents and compiling lists of IPs that are sharing - you obviously can't do that with streaming sites.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
start a revolution ppl, show them just how much you hate them :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
At least they binned the proposal to allow people to use orphaned images without the owner's permission.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The title of the OP's post says it all...

The end of file sharing as we know it...

Key words... "file sharing" and "as we know it".
People will just move away from file sharing and use direct download methods instead. That removes the sharing side.
"As we know it"... new ways of file distribution will become available at some point.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
been the same since napster bit the dust ... new stuff comes along .. usually better stuff and lets face it sometimes torrents can be dog slow ...

Just rent yourself a proxy somewhere in russia and go through that

nothing they can do then tbh

ECA

I am a FH squatter
been the same since napster bit the dust ... New stuff comes along .. Usually better stuff and lets face it sometimes torrents can be dog slow ...

Just rent yourself a seedbox somewhere in russia and go through that

nothing they can do then tbh

fyp :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
ok im getting old whats fyp :)

fixed something or other donno hehe

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
ok im getting old whats fyp :)

fixed something or other donno hehe
Fixed your post.

Notice that his quote wasn't identical to the original. :)
He's talking about some sort of proxy system like the Tor Network or Relakks.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
It gets worse and worse. Stupid music industry. Looks like they will have to learn the hard way. There will always be a work around the system, that's the beauty of the internet, there's always a solution to any problem.

Apart from the music industry acting like Dinosaurs and not reinventing themselves for the 21st Century I was wondering how does the 'trackers' know that the torrent for example is legit or not? Alot of freeware companies offer torrents to download their software. I use Knoppix and download it as a torrent, will my connection be affected as a result? Just another example of the government voting on something it knows very little about.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I use torrents for work. I am a member of a research group relating to mental health diagnosis techniques. I share a large amount of research with over 200 collegues all around the world, videos of diagnostic sessions, presentations and indepth reports ect.

It is probably an old fashioned way of doing things these days but we found having a centralised FTP server unrelyable and nobody was willing to look after it and pay the maintainance costs and transferring via torrent is a reasonably secure way of sharing sensitive data with a group.

Some of the files we transfer can be a couple of gig in size and as everyone in the group needs to see them and I need to see their research it is an ideal solution.

Having read the bill, I think it is a really ill-concieved piece of legislation. I find the fact that if you don't encrypt yyour wifi connection you are now responsible for any illegal downloading that takes place on it. I think that is pretty disgusting.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Ever since i started using rapidshare a few years ago i haven't looked back. The thought of using torrents again makes my skin crawl, p2p stuff is shit.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The worst part is they can now force ISPs to block sites that "allow" substantial infringement.

That means they can effectively nuke every new torrent/streaming site that pops up.
Anything like the wikileaks apache video can get banned.

Urgh, such a terrible idea.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
This bill won't affect newsgroups/rapidshare anyway will it? What about torrents using peerguardian?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
This bill won't affect newsgroups/rapidshare anyway will it? What about torrents using peerguardian?

Rapidshare could be arbitrarily blocked from your ISP overnight because it contains substantial infringement.

So yes, they can basically do whatever the fuck they want.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Ever since i started using rapidshare a few years ago i haven't looked back. The thought of using torrents again makes my skin crawl, p2p stuff is shit.

Rapidshare Aims To Convert Pirates Into Customers | TorrentFreak

Rapidshare Terminates Accounts of Copyright Infringers | TorrentFreak

Newzbin vs MPA Usenet ‘Filtering’ Trial Concludes | TorrentFreak

High Court Finds Newzbin Liable For Copyright Infringement | TorrentFreak

Newzbin Slams Movie Studios After Court Defeat | TorrentFreak

Yes, Newsgroups, Rapidshare, the whole bundle at some point will get the 'treatment' from the movie/music/copyright 'boyz'.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Newzbin was handy but you can still download stuff straight from the source

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
All I see happening with Newzbin is that they'll be removing the "reports" made by editors and you'll have to go looking for the files yourself.

One thing I've noticed lately is that the posters of binaries upload a .nzb to go along with it. All you need to do is look for the nzb's themselves and you'll still be able to grab the total file. If Newsbin turns into purely an index of Usenet, it'll still have a useful function.

In answer to the question about sites being blocked... yep ANY site can be arbitrarily blocked now at the behest of the media companies. They must be laughing all the way because they got exactly what they wanted. If Rapidshare is deemed liable, block. Giganews... block. Newzbin... block.

The way around the blocks might be as simple as using an alternative DNS provider like OpenDNS, or it might take something more active like buying a VPN account to encrypt ALL traffic in and out.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Seedbox is the answer guys, srsly.

Just add RSS subscriptions from your torrent sites ( which wont be blocked on the seedbox as it wont be in the UK ), your stuff will autodownload as soon as it hits your torrent site, and then you can direct download it via ftp in the morning - all for $15/mo.

It leaves you open to 0 risk of getting nailed ( unless meeja companies start going after seedbox companies - in which case they'll all just relocate to russia if they're not there already ) - unless ISPs start monitoring connections - in which case you just change the file name.

If $15 is too much just share it with a few friends and give them the ftp login details and add whatever subscriptions they want, for like $5/mo you get everything you want faster than you get it now and with automation.

( Does require you having access to some good torrent sites though ).

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
And does require those sites to still be running at the time all this comes in. A lot will close.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
File-Sharers Safe Until Music Biz Change Laws | TorrentFreak

FTA:
"If the law is no good, they say, it’s time to get it changed, and that could be soon."

So it's easier to change the law, than to get a few forward thinking minds together for a design for a new business model?

Does it not stand to reason that if they can 'lobby' (read: pay-off) the government, isn't that corruption? Oh hang, aren't they already corrupted?

I hate the UK at the moment. I watched 'They Live' again the other day, and realised how much that film has a message relevant right now.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think it's rather, umm, ironic? that if the amount of money used on anti-pirate adds, bills, laws, commercials, campaigns, shenannigans and dillydaas would be given to those "poor" artists etc, they would balance out the huge loss quite nicely :p

rynnor

Rockhound
On the plus side legal downloads will be faster with less illegal content hogging the bandwidth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom