Games The Elder Scrolls MMO

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
I wish that guy would just disappear up his own arsehole. Not funny now and never was.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Quick question(quote me so i get notified);

Is it skyrim multiplayer(with good bits of skyrim still intact), basic mmo in skyrim world, or "have to test it to see if it's any good"?

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Quick question(quote me so i get notified);

Is it skyrim multiplayer(with good bits of skyrim still intact), basic mmo in skyrim world, or "have to test it to see if it's any good"?
Not Skyrim multiplayer
The only Skyrim with it is the setting and the clunky UI imo

You just have to try and find out.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Like lots her, i've played many MMOs since UO in 98., and we are used to some form of end game pve content to get pvp ready.

Vetran Levels - what a fucking joke. All they have done is cut and paste the other alliance zones with identical quests ( so levelling an alt on another alliance will be reaaally fun) nerfed the mob xp by 90%, got rid of all xp gained from exploring, chests, everything esle gone. Anchors etc.. gave about 1/4 of my xp bar. The supposed VR1-3 Dungeons are impossible before VR4, and give only VR5 drops that are BoP, and the usual terrible xp. I want to quest sure, but i'd also like to get xp from dungeons, PvP, crafting..but no not here ! You have to grind every single quest.. VR1 took longer than 45 to 50, and xp needed for VR2 has just doubled. Makes the DaoC master levels look the best designed end game ever, period.

The questing monotony is soul destroying..will be cancelling subs till this shit is sorted out.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Like lots her, i've played many MMOs since UO in 98., and we are used to some form of end game pve content to get pvp ready.

Vetran Levels - what a fucking joke. All they have done is cut and paste the other alliance zones with identical quests ( so levelling an alt on another alliance will be reaaally fun) nerfed the mob xp by 90%, got rid of all xp gained from exploring, chests, everything esle gone. Anchors etc.. gave about 1/4 of my xp bar. The supposed VR1-3 Dungeons are impossible before VR4, and give only VR5 drops that are BoP, and the usual terrible xp. I want to quest sure, but i'd also like to get xp from dungeons, PvP, crafting..but no not here ! You have to grind every single quest.. VR1 took longer than 45 to 50, and xp needed for VR2 has just doubled. Makes the DaoC master levels look the best designed end game ever, period.

The questing monotony is soul destroying..will be cancelling subs till this shit is sorted out.
Tbh vr1-10 was about the same as 1-50, if not a little faster for me. The trick is to only do cadwells alamanc quests, dungeons, bosses and anchors.

It can be a grind but it can also be done quite fast if you know how to rush through it. Pvp is good aswell for vet ranks, 100k alliance points is 1mill vet xp

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
Tbh vr1-10 was about the same as 1-50, if not a little faster for me. The trick is to only do cadwells alamanc quests, dungeons, bosses and anchors.

It can be a grind but it can also be done quite fast if you know how to rush through it. Pvp is good aswell for vet ranks, 100k alliance points is 1mill vet xp

This basically, plus we managed the VR5 dungeons at 1 and 2 after some wipes working out mechanics. I'm not a huge fan of the VR zones but given that the discrepancy between VR1-10 isn't that big stats wise, I'm fine with it as I feel it gives a good amount of end-game content to explore at a leisurely pace. I'm VR5 now on my Templar and plan to only exp in PvP now as I'm rerolling a DK for our set group.

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
I'm rerolling a DK for our set group.

What build/weapons are you going to run? I've seen lots of DK's run firemage builds in PvP (i.e. sword/shield in 1st bar for sustainability and destro staff for massive AoE in 2nd bar).

LordjOX

Part of the furniture

Only doing the Almanac quests skips some skillpoints

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Only doing the Almanac quests skips some skillpoints
Yea, but I've got more skill points than I even need right now.

I go back and do some occasionally, but tbh I'm not all that bothered about more skyshards/skillpoints any more, I did every one in Daggerfall, then just picked up ones I came across in AD/EP. There's not much point in doing every quest when the normal ones give 5-10k compared to 100k for the main quests, though I would pick up the small quests if they are on the same route as the main ones.

Edit; just checked respec shrine and I have 213 skillpoints (20100 cost) and 12 unspent

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
Not that I put much stock into game reviews on the internet, but following ESO on Metacritic has been interesting. Currently it's sitting at a metascore of 75, which is lower than games like TERA, GW2, Warhammer and SWTOR. Sites like Gamespot gave it a 6.0, which is surprisingly low.

I just don't get the bad reviews. I enjoy this game far more than I ever did the abovementioned games, but I guess it's all subjective in the end. Still it boggles the mind that GW2 is scoring so much higher than ESO.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online/critic-reviews

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The trouble is with modern MMOS is that they front load content so while you might be enjoying it now, how much will you enjoy it in 2 months, 6 months, a year...3 years?

I loved SWTOR until the moment I hit 50 and realised there was nothing to do. ESO might be different due to having a seemingly decent PvP experience at the end...I am still leaving it 6 months though - if it is still around then I will buy it.

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd say a massive amount of the poor scores are down to people being in one of two camps: 1) people expecting an experience akin to Elder Scrolls single player games and 2) people expecting an MMO experience similar to WoW. TESO doesn't really deliver all that well on either of those front for various reasons. Imo it's a top game in its own right mostly owing to how different it is to WoW, and it works in a single player-esque main story experience very well in to an MMO setting. With that said, I completely get why people aren't satisfied with it for both reasons, but I'm hoping the fact it is a relatively unique and quite old school MMO experience in comparison to the rest of the market will see it stick around longer than the majority have over the last few years.

Either way it looks set to at least be a solid stop-gap until CU hopefully fills the DAoC void many of us have been hoping for (though may faith in CU diminishes slowly over time for one reason and another).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The amount of comparison to wow and how this isn't good cause wow does it like this and stuff is disturbing. It's like you can't be an mmo if your not a wow clone. All the people complaining there's no raid progression and things like that just don't get teso for what it is.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I've just got 5/5 Magicka Furnace so will be testing that tonight, says it gives 10% of your max magicka back when hit by melee (5s cooldown), but I can't find anywhere online if melee is just left mouse button attacks, or if it includes weapon attacks (if weapon attacks then this is probably going to be the best set bonus I can find).

Magicka Furnace I'm not overly impressed with tbh, it seems to proc from weapon attacks (the Nightblade leap triggered it from what I could tell, but I didn't test properly, just observed in group PvP), but in general PvP I'm not really melee'd all that often to make it worthwhile (Sorc) and using 3x VR1 armor slots isn't all that appealing (could reduce it to two, but would have to remove the VR10 Wrath of Imperium ring), I thought I had seen a VR10 version in a video but can't find it so I'm assuming it's only VR1. It also can't have the enchants changed and has poor traits (reinforced). For a Sorc it doesn't seem great, may be awesome for a frontline DK, or a Templar who is focused often but Sorcs have little magicka issues as it is (between potions, dark exchange/equilibrium and 100+ magicka recovery etc), and the amount of magicka given is only equal to a Resto staff heavy attack.

Problem is after Willows and Imperium not a whole lot appeals to me as DPS, maybe Magnus Gift as it has no internal cooldown though I will likely go for the PvP set 5 piece

Zede

Part of the furniture
don't think anyone has mentioned the public dungeons ? Broken Marrow in Stormhaven, VR2. This place is full of mobs and bosses, and it's more the size of a regular 5 man dungeon, With a grp fo 3 got 15k xp in about 25 mins. Xp target is 900k. Not one guide or post i've seen on XPing has mentioned this easy xp gain. Just go with a regular grp tank/heal/dd/dd fill your bags easily in about 20 mins or so..make about 4k per 20min run ( lots of set item greens and glyphs that go for 100g) And importantly practice group play. These types of dungeon should have been in it from the very start ! Reminded me muchly of going to Keltoi and Stonehenge Barrows...i got that feeliing...oh it was nice. No mmo since has done that :)

hmm might be worth experimenting..gonna try and get a 2 x Impulse/Pulsar AoE grp, rar

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I put my toe in. Nicephorus, the Breton 'dark magic' sorcerer lives....

Soazak

Part of the furniture
These types of dungeon should have been in it from the very start !

They have lol

the 16th skyshard in every zone is in public dungeon (not to be confused with a solo dungeon) :D

Do anchors/world bosses too, iirc they give around 30k XP (same as reward for completing a main quest). If you can run the VR5 dungeons with your group each boss kill gives a nice chunk of XP too - 30k/kill for our VR9s last week, there are some that have bosses early on so could probably be chained :p

Zede

Part of the furniture
They have lol

the 16th skyshard in every zone is in public dungeon (not to be confused with a solo dungeon) :D

Do anchors/world bosses too, iirc they give around 30k XP (same as reward for completing a main quest). If you can run the VR5 dungeons with your group each boss kill gives a nice chunk of XP too - 30k/kill for our VR9s last week, there are some that have bosses early on so could probably be chained :p

Healers were not needed back then,..mobs are harder now and kinda requires a grp if you wanna farm. Didn't notice any public dungeon this big doing 1-50.

Poag

m00?
So after ebing around VR3 for abotu a week. I've elected to roll up a templar (again on DC)

I'm finding the NB is not what i expected it to be. The baseline abilities leave much to be desired sadly.

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Wow the aoe nerf sounds like a terrible idea, pretty much guarantees stacking as the way forward and cripples small groups against larger forces. However, it seems to have been received with overwhelmingly negative responses pretty much everywhere. Hopefully that might give zos some perspective.
AoE nerfs on PTS:
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2408df/aoe_nerfed_in_pts/

Sounds like a terrible idea to cap AoE to 6 targets.

Theres a thread with a poll on the official forum, last I checked it was 700+ no, 60ish for yes to the nerf. I hope they take some note of how hugely and universally hated this will be!

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I'm not overly concerned about an AOE limit tbh, while I do think it's a bad game decision I don't think it will really change much in practice.

When we kill zergs, it's not often that them being clumped on one spot is the factor that makes them lose, just as in daoc it's lack of organisation/comms/attention etc. Occasionally we have managed to land on a perfectly stacked group of 50+ and kill with a few pulsar spams, but those chances are rare. Generally it's 1-3 of our sorcs/DKs dropping on widely spread groups of 5-6 players at a time and moving onto the next, ZOS nerfed the templars healing range so they're rarely in range of heals which is what normally means they die fast. Now with ZOS nerfing aoe, including heals limited to 6 players, I think co-ordinated groups will adapt, the zerg will just get less heals (especially since you cant select who to heal..) with their 10m range and 6 target limit. Sounds like the same devs as daoc on Firor's team who don't have a clue about their game :p

Alternatively, in the long run it may work out to give people purpose to run smaller (6?) man groups, rather than just filling with as many as they can (24 currently) due to there not really being any group limit lower than this.

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't like the AoE cap idea, but I'm much more worried about the healing cap than anything. It's bad enough that randoms outside of your group get heals right now (especially with how hard it is to ditch random people that follow you), with a 6 person cap it could be crippling. Doubt this change will go live as is though.

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
Auriel's Bow tonight is literally 300+ AD running around capping keeps and the same amount of EP or possibly more doing the same. Going to try out Dawnbreaker, anyone running groups there? We're 7 atm (DC).

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Auriel's Bow tonight is literally 300+ AD running around capping keeps and the same amount of EP or possibly more doing the same. Going to try out Dawnbreaker, anyone running groups there? We're 7 atm (DC).

We've been trying Dawnbreaker lately, seems a pretty good server so far but lack of activity on our part is meaning we can't do much right now. It seems the most balanced of the servers we've tried (Bloodthorn, Chrysamere & Wabbajack)

miri

One of Freddy's beloved
Definitely had better action (and much less lag) than on Auriel's Bow. Going to play DK for the first time tomorrow in RvR, should be funny. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom