Football The (bacon) General Forum Football Thread.

rynnor

Rockhound
Much as I admire Mr Wenger's skills as a football manager he really does talk crap sometimes.

How can he make such a meal of beating the club thats bottom of the league and who's players must be more worried about being paid than playing football.

Arsenal didnt even manage to keep a clean sheet - I cant really see how this sends any sort of message about their chances in the title race?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I they win their game in hand they will be 2 points off top. I think that's enough of a message that they are competing this season, they also have quite a decent young squad which have played a lot together (thanks to Wenger looking to the future rather than the present) so the future is looking bright, whereas teams like Chelsea and UTD's youngsters still have a very long way to go and their existing teams are ageing.

I can't stand Arsenal but its been obvious for the last few seasons that they will be competing for the title and other silverware pretty soon, so long as they keep the players and the manager.

IMO Wenger is the best manager in the premiership, he has built a team on a shoe string, I think any team would love to have his ability to spot young talent.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Much as I admire Mr Wenger's skills as a football manager he really does talk crap sometimes.

How can he make such a meal of beating the club thats bottom of the league and who's players must be more worried about being paid than playing football.

Arsenal didnt even manage to keep a clean sheet - I cant really see how this sends any sort of message about their chances in the title race?

I think your spurs googles have interfered with your opinion of the game. I saw a good attacking display from arse, and strong possession. Pompey had a few chances, but you expect a few chances against a side always on the attack. The goal they conceded was lazy, but that was merely a lack of focus. Also Pompey have played very well in recent weeks, it is no easy task taking points of them.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The goal conceded wasn't really lack of focus it was more Traore being caught in nomansland far too easily. He's not the best defensively.

rynnor

Rockhound
I can't stand Arsenal but its been obvious for the last few seasons that they will be competing for the title and other silverware pretty soon, so long as they keep the players and the manager.

I dont think so - I see them as perpetual also rans tbh - they could win a cup but they dont have a big enough squad of first rate players to win a long slog like the league once the inevitable injuries start cropping up.

It really comes down to money in the end - Wenger is a great manager but the Premiership becomes ever more competitive and a big squad of talent is required to win it imo.

soze

I am a FH squatter
He is a great manager, but f**k me you must have some expensive shoes.

Budget = in and out so Wenger who is positive in transfers has spent less than the majority of the league.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Budget = in and out so Wenger who is positive in transfers has spent less than the majority of the league.

Sorry, but economics doesn't work like that as I'm sure Mr Wenger could tell you. Those "positive" figures don't take into account incoming transfer fees for players that were already at the club when he took over or wages paid in any event.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Those "positive" figures don't take into account incoming transfer fees for players that were already at the club when he took over or wages paid in any event.

Are you talking about Ian Wright? Ray Parlour? Who are these players he made billions off, that were already at the club? As for the wages paid, i dont think anyone factors in wages when talking about transfers as that has nothing to do with the net + or - in the transfer market surely?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
i dont think anyone factors in wages when talking about transfers as that has nothing to do with the net + or - in the transfer market surely?

I should hope the moneymen at clubs do, or they would be in a parlous state! Even "free" transfer signings are far from free when one takes into account the huge wages they can command (eg Ballack at Chelsea, and I'm sure Fabregas would be on comparable wages).

You would also hope they would throw signing on fees and PR image rights into the equation when calculating the cost of signings.

As for profits on players already at the club when Wenger went there ... Paul Merson anyone?

If you really think Wenger operates at a profit answer me this: if he went to the bank and asked them to loan him £15m on the basis that he makes profits from his transfers, would they hand it over or would they have a good chuckle?

If you think its anything other than the latter then, frankly, you are clueless.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If you really think Wenger operates at a profit answer me this: if he went to the bank and asked them to loan him £15m on the basis that he makes profits from his transfers, would they hand it over or would they have a good chuckle?

If you think its anything other than the latter then, frankly, you are clueless.

They'd most likely be chuckling because Wenger was in the bank asking for the smallest loan in premier league history.

Gray

FH is my second home
Seems Jo has been suspended by Everton. This season he hasn't really been all that good really, real disapointing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah ok, can we include money made from players that are sold once he leaves too?

lol

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you use the figures on soccerbase.com since the 1996/1997 season has spent £224,800,000. Has has sold players that he purchased for £166,760,000. So a total on his transfers of -£58,040,000 which includes our current squad, not bad for 12 seasons. The total outgoing transfers is £192,114,000 so Wenger made £25,354,000 selling the old squad.

rynnor

Rockhound
Liverpool very unconvincing against relegation zone Reading?

Gerrard created the equaliser and they dominated the last 10 mins or so of the first half but Reading pretty much dominated the entire second half.

Liverpools chances came from counters n set pieces and now they are stuck with the worst possible result - a replay they could really do without.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I know we have a few Leeds Freddies out there - reckon we stand a chance? Let's see how this goes :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You've got a chance, just not a very big one :) We are playing a fairly strong team against you as well. Berba and Rooney already causing problems.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not all one way though, eh :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That bloody beckford. Fully except him to be in the premier league next season with Newcastle.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Man Utd will clearly equalize or win the game in injury time, the only questions is will it be the 5th or the 7th minute.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've got a feeling we will get a goal here, Leeds had the chances to kill us off, and have failed to do so...

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
As much as I hate to say it Leeds deserved the win, they outclassed us in every aspect of the game. Absolutely shocking performance by Man U.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Or maybe not, that was really poor. Only bright side is that at least we don't have a replay to contend with while we are short of defenders. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom