Football The (bacon) General Forum Football Thread.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
How long can Rafa stay in his job on the strength of the Champions League win he had?

It is looking quite obvious he hasn't got a clue and with each season that passes he gets further and further away from what he promises. I honestly can't see him being in his job for much longer, especially after tonights result.

Veronin instead of Babel? Fucking madness.

rynnor

Rockhound
How long can Rafa stay in his job on the strength of the Champions League win he had?

I think they need money more than a new manager - I'm not a huge fan of Rafa but the weakest link there is cash.

Trem

I think they need money more than a new manager - I'm not a huge fan of Rafa but the weakest link there is cash.

But he has spent huge amounts and apart from Torres he has spent badly. Babel should be playing week in week out but he is sat on the bench. I just get the feeling Rafa is losing his mind week by week :D

rynnor

Rockhound
But he has spent huge amounts and apart from Torres he has spent badly. Babel should be playing week in week out but he is sat on the bench. I just get the feeling Rafa is losing his mind week by week :D

Past tense on the money tho - its basically run out - he has given Babel a lot of chances over the past season or so but he never really performs.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
There is no love lost between him and the owners, as his support amongst Liverpool fans evaporates I would anticipate they'd be looking closely at removing him from his post.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Past tense on the money tho - its basically run out - he has given Babel a lot of chances over the past season or so but he never really performs.

He spent £37m in the summer on TWO players. One being a right back that can't defend, and one big injury. It's run out because HE spunks it on poor players.

rynnor

Rockhound
He spent £37m in the summer on TWO players. One being a right back that can't defend, and one big injury. It's run out because HE spunks it on poor players.

I thought the way he drove Robbie Keene out was pretty sad - just because he hadnt made the buying decision - hes a good player who loved Liverpool but he barely got a touch of the ball at Anfield - Torres is great but he gets a lot of injuries and kuyt's not consistent - Keene could have helped a lot - doh!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
with each season that passes he gets further and further away from what he promises

Really? Two league losses last season, top scorers and the first team to not win the league in such conditions?

You're having a laugh :)

The problem we have is Alonso. Or rather, he's the problem we don't have. Simple as that really.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Babel should be playing week in week out

Babel's sat on the bench because he's a talented coward. He's not up to the job and has been told that if he doesn't pass muster this season he's on his way.

Voronin played this evening because, although I'll be the first to admit he's not up to Liverpool standard, he dragged Wolfsburg (I think?) to great heights last season and deserved another shot.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He spent £37m in the summer on TWO players

Yep. Two quality players. Johnson's a solid defender who's great going forward.

Aquilani is a player I've always liked the look of, and hopefully will do the job. It's a bit early to write him off, considering he's not played yet?

As for spunking £37 million - he sold Alonso, under duress, amongst some other players. Net outlay was about 3 million.

Yep. Rafa's been given loads of cash alright :rolleyes:

I thought the way he drove Robbie Keene out was pretty sad - just because he hadnt made the buying decision

As for Keane, he looked totally out of sorts at Liverpool. All I do know is that, although we recouped 18 of the 20 mill we spent on him, Rafa's not been allowed to spend it again...

Trem

But you are a Liverpool fan Scouse, surely the writing is on the wall for you? How can you stand by him (and I do like him actually) and his decisions? I also think the owners are having a laugh, Alonso was simply amazing and should never of been sold, thing is I can see Masceranononmacaroni being sold really quite soon then Liverpool will have a midfield about as tough as a team filled with girl guides.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Aquilani is crap. He'll be a £20m flop, mark my words.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Johnson isn't really solid defensively, his pace gets him out of trouble alot of the time, but he has been skinned like a kipper enough against poor opposition this year for Liverpool and England.

Go through the squad, riera, babel, ngog, voronin, lucas, aurelio, dossena, add in all the ones who have been sold for a loss, add in the constant purchase of fullbacks for no reason at all. Liverpool with Gerard and Torres can beat anyone, but you could put them in the Sunderland team and be exactly the same.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If you look at other managers' signings, Benitez's are hilariously overpriced.

£20m for a perma-injured midfielder, or (rising to) £15m for Arshavin?
£17m for a full back that (and if you claim different it's clear you don't know what a good defender is) can't defend properly and regularly gets lost at the back, or £10m for Vermaelen?

The amounts he spends for the quailty he receives is utterly laughable, and there's no defending such a woeful fiscal attitude.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Annoyed when I hear Liverpool players spouting 'after what we achieved last season' all the time. WHAT EXACTLY DID THEY ACHIEVE???

Fabio Aurelio - We know what we have to do. We have to change the feeling that we are not a strong team now, especially after what we achieved last season.

By my recollection they won nowt and came second in the league, infact wasn't the last trophy they won in 2006? The old saying applies, second is nowhere.

Calaen

I'm lolling at carragher giving interviews after every defeat saying he expects them to turn the corner :p He's gonna be right someday I feel!!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But you are a Liverpool fan Scouse, surely the writing is on the wall for you?

Ah, but I was a supporter in 1987, the last time this happened - and strangely the club did OK after that. ;)

Aquilani is crap. He'll be a £20m flop, mark my words.

Can you tell me the lottery numbers next weekend please?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
stuff about cash without looking at the bigger picture. must be a manc fan ;)

Benitez acknowledged that 17 mil is a lot for Johnson and has stated many times in the past that if you want to buy English then you have to pay double the cash. That shows that Benitez values Johnson at about £8.5 million - which seems accurate to me. However, minimum quotas for the number of English players in a side, anyone?

He's "solid" as a defender, not great but solid. He's MUCH better going forward than what we've had before. Therefore Johnson = Win.

£20 mil for Aquilani may be an astute buy. Maybe not. He had ankle ligament damage - something I know a lot about considering I had almost all my ankle ligaments on both sides replaced last year (not fun). This is something you can get over completely - and if he does, and does the business, then I'll be happy.

Yep, it's a risk. But Veron anyone? That's the nature of the business. And the last £20 million gamble he made paid off rather nicely, unless you think Torres is shit?

All this moaning about Benitez' spending in a summer where Madrid paid £80 million for Ronaldo?

When he's had decent cash to splash he's made good buys. When he's not, he ends up with chod (£1.5 mill on Ngog. Not given enough cash to buy another striker so has to bring Voronin back (who we got on a free)).

Hmmm. Different picture when you look at details methinks... :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm lolling at carragher giving interviews after every defeat saying he expects them to turn the corner :p He's gonna be right someday I feel!!!

Seriously. Do you expect him to come out and say "hands up. You're right. We're shit. We should give up as footballers and go home eh? Lets fold the club whilst were at it. I guess 4 losses is worse than dying of AIDS eh?"

:rolleyes:

I think the fact that you're "lolling" at this situation means that there must be times when you're really pissed off at us for other reasons - which makes me feel nice and warm inside. Thanks for the compliment Cal :D

Calaen

Seriously. Do you expect him to come out and say "hands up. You're right. We're shit. We should give up as footballers and go home eh? Lets fold the club whilst were at it. I guess 4 losses is worse than dying of AIDS eh?"

:rolleyes:

I think the fact that you're "lolling" at this situation means that there must be times when you're really pissed off at us for other reasons - which makes me feel nice and warm inside. Thanks for the compliment Cal :D

No I don't but considering carragher has been very poor this season, and he usually just gets about with his own job, this constant stream of we'll end our drought just makes me laugh. Of course they will get out of it, any fool with a testicle knows that. But I don't need to hear it from the same guy after every defeat :p

I was pissed off last year when you scummed us at anfield ;) and even more pissed off after the old trafford match, but the result against stoke the week after more than made up for the sickness I suffered at the hands of my liverpool buddies :kissit:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
:)

Carra's bucked up. Nowt wrong with his personal performance last night IMHO.

I actually blame Gillette. Silver-haired fucktard. Wouldn't stump up for Rafa to buy Villa, or Silva for that matter...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

The money spent means nothing tbh. If Benitez had burned through £130M of astute buys, no-one would give a shit. Benitez' record in the transfer market is the least of his problems, of which I'd say 60% are down to him (he's a poor motivator and he's hopeless at managing squad football), and 40% down to the owners. Problem Liverpool have is that if they don't get out of their Champions League group, as looks likely, the purse strings will squeeze even tighter, and the Fat Waiter's relationship with the owners (already strained), will break. Then Liverpool will be stuck with Sammy Lee as caretaker. LOL.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Scouse has done what every 'pool fan in the world does, "if someone slags off my team they must be a Manc."

Well I'm not and I don't support them, so please try a counter that doesn't revolve around my non-existant bias.

Marc

FH is my second home
Aquilani is a terrible signing, absolutely shocking.

Hes made of biscuit. He couldnt hack the physical nature of the most laid back league in the world, Seria A. He will have no chance in the rough and tumble premiership

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Aquilani is a terrible signing, absolutely shocking.

Hes made of biscuit. He couldnt hack the physical nature of the most laid back league in the world, Seria A. He will have no chance in the rough and tumble premiership

The likes of Vidic and Fletcher will eat him alive if he is that fragile.

Calaen

Imagine him against Bolton or Stoke :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

CBA getting into the spend thing again. Suffice to say if you remove Ronaldo from that equation, realise that Fergie's "maintaining" and Rafa's "building", and add both Tottingham and City to the list you'll find that Rafa's doing very well on scant resource.

With the exceptions of Torres and Alonso he's been buying 3rd or 4th choice players.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scouse has done what every 'pool fan in the world does, "if someone slags off my team they must be a Manc."

Well I'm not and I don't support them, so please try a counter that doesn't revolve around my non-existant bias.

Humour m8. Just humour. Don't mistake my misdemeanour as being pissed off by any of this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom