Football The (bacon) General Forum Football Thread.

Marc

FH is my second home
This argument is so tiered now its not funny we are clearly the best of the teams that are self sufficient in the PL. And i have said before i would rather keep trying to win on our own than become some rich pricks play thing just to win a few trophies. Yes Chel$ki are currently a better team but if anything happened to the owner they would be done, one day all this living above your means could bite some clubs on the arse.

Really? I bet you are the only one. Most fans would welcome a sugar daddy if it brough trophies. Myself, id rather celebrate winning a trophy than celebrating being self sufficient ;)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Really? I bet you are the only one. Most fans would welcome a sugar daddy if it brough trophies. Myself, id rather celebrate winning a trophy than celebrating being self sufficient ;)

I can't speak for all fans but the supporters trust was pretty clear when they put out a statement rejecting the Fat Russians plans :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Given the way Platini and co. are aiming at integrating rules for clubs to be self-sufficient within the next few years, Wenger's plan has been suitable for the football environment of the future. Mega rich owners are a short term fix, nothing more.

And as for Wenger not winning trophies in a few seasons - neither has Benitez. He lucked out on othe Champions League with a pretty terrible squad, and they've been getting worse at it each season since, whereas Arsenal are improving.

PS: Great win for us today. Good game, we completely controlled Villa and didn't give them a sniff.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Given the way Platini and co. are aiming at integrating rules for clubs to be self-sufficient within the next few years, Wenger's plan has been suitable for the football environment of the future. Mega rich owners are a short term fix, nothing more.

And as for Wenger not winning trophies in a few seasons - neither has Benitez. He lucked out on othe Champions League with a pretty terrible squad, and they've been getting worse at it each season since, whereas Arsenal are improving.

PS: Great win for us today. Good game, we completely controlled Villa and didn't give them a sniff.

One thing both Liverpool and Arsenal supporters have in common is both are nearly as boring and repetative as each other.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Fair play to Arsenal, only took four attempts for them to beat us at home. Was fairly happy with our first half showing, we had some dangerous moments and the Arsenal defence looked edgy.

But second half, when Fabregas was on the pitch especially, we were a distant second best. Worst performance I've seen from us in a second half ... couldn't find our men with passes, wingers ineffective, Milner's worst display by a long way.

I'm hoping we'll bounce back with a fierce display at home to Liverpool tomorrow night but I also think two games in three days might be a little too much for some of our players. Very unfair that Liverpool have an extra days rest, but thats how it goes when you accept the might Sky £.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Fabregas was the difference, he is a very special player indeed, it will be a sad loss to the PL if he is sold.

Villa top 5 this season for sure, my prediction is 1. Man Utd 2. Chelsea 3. Aresnal 4. Villa 5. Man City.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Fabregas was the difference, he is a very special player indeed, it will be a sad loss to the PL if he is sold.

Villa top 5 this season for sure, my prediction is 1. Man Utd 2. Chelsea 3. Aresnal 4. Villa 5. Man City.

United won't win it this year. I know the usual line about playing badly and still winning gets you championships, but tbh we were shite yesterday, and I haven't seen a "proper" United performance once this season. Even winning they don't look comfortable and if anything happens to Rooney, we're fucked. There are players like Gibson and Obertan coming through, but they're not ready yet and there are definitely big weaknesses in midfield when you have to rely on a 35 year old and 36 year old (albeit brilliant ones) to give you an edge. Nani isn't going to step into Giggs' shoes, and Anderson isn't going to give the goals that Scholes used to (although Gibson looks like he might, eventually), and Carrick isn't playing well (and who knows if Hargreaves will ever come back?). Even the normally reliable Fletcher was rubbish yesterday, his passing and first touch were terrible.

I could genuinely see Arsenal nicking it if United continue playing as they are and don't do any buying, and Chelsea drop points over the next month. I'm doubtful about Villa, they always seem to fade; with their squad size I'd put Tottenham above them.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I would dearly love Spurs to finish top 4 (I love Harry) but I can see them bottling it, having said that they looked good yesterday.

Utd have looked god awful this season but they always seem to go on a run after Xmas, would be great if Arsenal did win it (as a neutral) but the Afriica Cup of Nations may fuck their run up.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I would dearly love Spurs to finish top 4 (I love Harry) but I can see them bottling it, having said that they looked good yesterday.

Utd have looked god awful this season but they always seem to go on a run after Xmas, would be great if Arsenal did win it (as a neutral) but the Afriica Cup of Nations may fuck their run up.

Arsenal only loose Song and Eboue, Song has been brilliant for them recently, but they certainly have enough midfielders to cover.

Fulham and Ghana both suffered yesterday though, Pantsil was great against Drogba yesterday till he went off, it appears he may miss the rest of the season with a twisted knee - would rule him out of the world cup as well.

List of players going here: BBC Sport - Football - Premier League set for African Cup of Nations exodus

rynnor

Rockhound
The Villa v Liverpool game sounds pretty dire - neither side seems to be trying particularly - happy with a draw?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
The Villa v Liverpool game sounds pretty dire - neither side seems to be trying particularly - happy with a draw?

Really? I've just got back from the game and it was an absolute corker. End to end stuff in the second half. Yes the first half was a bit tight but both sides put together some good moves and put the other side under pressure.

Didn't think either side had done enough to warrant winning the game. Liverpool just had that extra bit of luck and took the three points.

I think it leaves us looking at finishing fifth or sixth (again) but thats no disgrace. We have lots of good players but lack somebody of genuine world class. Milner, Agbonlahor or Ashley Young could become that -- but will they stay with us, or chase the guaranteed big money at the Sky Four or Man City?

rynnor

Rockhound
Really? I've just got back from the game and it was an absolute corker.

Same game? I've never heard commentators more bored except during long rain breaks - admittedly in the last 15mins they actually started playing but up till that point it was pretty dire.

Unconvincing display from 2 teams who will not make the top 4 this season.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Same game? I've never heard commentators more bored except during long rain breaks

Perhaps if you actually went to a match you would learn to make up your own mind about what happens on the pitch.

rynnor

Rockhound
Perhaps if you actually went to a match you would learn to make up your own mind about what happens on the pitch.

I'm not going to a Villa v Liverpool game - I'd rather have root canal work done :p

I like decent football - I have even been to the arch enemy at the emirates stadium because they have a great style.

On the commentators I'm sure they are picked randomly from the street and thus have no decades of football experience from which to judge an excellent game like last nights - yeah right :p

rynnor

Rockhound
I have to say, the fans from day one where utter bastards to him and i feel they never give him a chance what so ever, every dropped point felt like someone else could have done better...

Pretty crappy - I think there should be a 3-6 point cost for dropping your manager mid-season - that would sort out some of this nonsense.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think it leaves us looking at finishing fifth or sixth (again) but thats no disgrace.

No, it's not a disgrace. The disgrace here is that, two points ahead of us, Villa fans are already writing themselves off!

But then, that's the nature of Villa fans :)

It was a pretty dull game. Good pressure from Liverpool without any real clear cut chances, a couple of good chances on the break from Villa.

We made our own luck in the end. If you continue to pressure until the last second there's always the chance that something'll fall kindly - which it did.

Kinda makes up for the penalty ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pretty crappy - I think there should be a 3-6 point cost for dropping your manager mid-season - that would sort out some of this nonsense.

What if you find out that your manager is genuinely crap?

I don't particularly sympathise with managers who get sacked quickly. Yes, the club may be shooting itself in the foot - but the managers themselves have got a nice big bed of cash to fall back on.

It's not like Sparky's family will be wondering how to heat the mansion this Xmas eh? Nope - because he'll currently be in the Maldives on a private island for rich people...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

That's so hilariously flawed it should never have been uttered from a human being. I don't think in the current climate anything like this needs to be introduced, we're halfway in the season now and there's hasn't been anything stupid happen. Man C are a special case and while under their ownership will always continue to be so.

Sackings of managers recently have been a lot more sensible, one good thing to come out of the recession and football's tightening purse strings. A lot of clubs simply can't afford to pay off the manager and hire a new one. It really isn't cheap!

Edit: Love the way this thread title changes daily. :D

rynnor

Rockhound
What if you find out that your manager is genuinely crap?

Then it comes down to a judgement call over losing a few points certainly and the potential gains of a new manager.

rynnor

Rockhound
Man C are a special case and while under their ownership will always continue to be so.

I dont see them as a special case but rather a case in point.

Theirs is exactly the nonsense this would prevent - they should have brought a new manager in at the start of the season and tbh the new guy they got is no better than the one they just dumped.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Why shouldn't they do what they wish? They're a business, making business decisions. As long as it's legal and above board I don't see what the issue is? Unless you're after a world of football where it's impossible to sack a manager?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Not sure where you are coming from here rynnor, we may not agree with the clubs decisions, but we are also not privy to all their financial information or what happens behind the scenes.

rynnor

Rockhound
Why shouldn't they do what they wish? They're a business, making business decisions. As long as it's legal and above board I don't see what the issue is?

We have a signing window for players why not some protection for managers?

Hell we are about to slap a 9 point fine on Portsmouth for going into administration and thats arguably got nothing at all to do with football so theres no reason we cant extend the rules.

Unless you're after a world of football where it's impossible to sack a manager?

Now your being silly trying to overextend.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
No, it's not a disgrace. The disgrace here is that, two points ahead of us, Villa fans are already writing themselves off!

No, being realistic. As a Liverpool fan, however, you will not know the meaning of the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom