The average smoking daoc player

M

Munkey-

Ekydus. Take the good with the bad.

on that note, England really is bloody overtaxed on cigarrettes. We pay 200% tax on cigarretes here yet a packet of B&H's is only one pound ten, marlbaro lights at less than 80 pence.

Pity you cant find good lighters anywhere

O

old.Tohtori

Wonder when i blew smoke on Ekydus's face...

B

Belsameth

this is getting worse then a religious thread.
tho I quite understand it's a heated subject, try and at least keep the personal insults out of it...

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Coim-
I didn't say smokers were "devils advocates". I know plenty of people who smoke. I almost feel sorry for them. Oh, and this has absoloutely nothing to do with the earth being round. People didn't have the technology back then... they didn't have the knowledge that we do now. Smoking's bad, nothing can change that.

Hold the phone and listen for a while. The earth was flat -until- someone proved it to be round.

IT's the scientific...whatyoucallit...ascoma or something.

"Nothing can be proven a 100% right, but everything can be proven wrong."

C

Coim-

Originally posted by Belsameth
this is getting worse then a religious thread.
tho I quite understand it's a heated subject, try and at least keep the personal insults out of it...
Nearly as good as a Karam thread. Nearly. :D

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Originally posted by Ekydus
You're fuckwits to be plainly and utterly fucking honest. You don't give a shit really do you?

Oh so you're shortening MY life by a few years? Well maybe I don't wanna be lying on my back, coughing up blood and drowning in my own body fluids in the end, mmmmmkay?
It may only be 2 years, but they are my 2 years. It may not be a huge amount, but the way I die is going to be effected too. I do not want to die in pain, you smoke - you've accepted the liability that you can die of cancer. Not my problem then, what is my probalem is the fact that it is affecting me aswell.

Reach for a cigarette when stressed? I get stressed... You know what I do? I put on some music or do something enjoyable. I do not need to stick a piece of death into my mouth and inhale it to be able to live my life. Life is an emotional roller coaster. Take the good with the bad FFS, that means you don't need to rely on a cigarette when you're stressed. Your lives revolve around cigarettes and for that I pity you. I am not thinking about where and when I will get my next cigarette, how I will be able to afford this, or what harm I am doing to others. You, however do. And you know what? You fucking well should aswell.

Total exaggeration! There has never been a case of someone dying as a result of passive smoking (that I am aware of)! Your life would be shortened by a matter of days if anything! You may think those days are totally important but realistically speaking, you would probably waste them anyway. ;)

You make smoking sound like an addiction similar to heroine. The most people would do for a ciggy is pinch one from someone else. You don't get stories of old grannies being knocked down so that some student can get his next nicotine fix. It is an addiction but it is nowhere near as bad as some drug addictions so try and put things in perspective.

The only issue you should be complaining about is the stench of the smoke. You can't tell people how to live their lives so don't even bother trying.

C

Coim-

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Hold the phone and listen for a while. The earth was flat -until- someone proved it to be round.

IT's the scientific...whatyoucallit...ascoma or something.

"Nothing can be proven a 100% right, but everything can be proven wrong."
So... say... murdering someone's wrong... until it's proven right?

S

Sharma

You're fuckwits to be plainly and utterly fucking honest. You don't give a shit really do you?

To be painfully blunt;

Why should we?

E

Ekydus

I was expecting you'd say that. What I meant was that you take the good and bad emotions. I did not mean live live with a smile, but die horribly and in utter pain, you fucking retards. No... it's your life, you do with it what you want. Fair enough... But when you are forcing your smoke onto me and handing me the crap that is destroying your body without my acknowledgement... Then that is just fucking contradictorary. I do not care what you do with your life. I do not hold anything against smokers. I do hate the fact it has products that are extremely noticable, mainly death. I don't want to die of a smoking related illness, especially when I am going out of my way to avoid it. Going out of my way to avoid it! It should be the other way around! Have some fucking morality people, please.

You're ignoring the fact that not only does it affect you, but it effects others aswell. Physically and emotionally.

O

old.Tohtori

So... say... murdering someone's wrong... until it's proven right?

Murdering someone isn't a scientific issue like saying the sky is blue.

But, even in that extreme example, it used to be ok to kill someone in a duel, now it isn't. In the future, murder maybe considered a blessing.

EDIT: Fuuture. Damn keyboard.

S

Sharma

Yep and car exhaust fumes have absolutely no bad effects on our health either Ekydus. Yup. :eek7:

E

Ekydus

Originally posted by Cap'n Sissyfoo
Total exaggeration! There has never been a case of someone dying as a result of passive smoking (that I am aware of)! Your life would be shortened by a matter of days if anything! You may think those days are totally important but realistically speaking, you would probably waste them anyway. ;)

You make smoking sound like an addiction similar to heroine. The most people would do for a ciggy is pinch one from someone else. You don't get stories of old grannies being knocked down so that some student can get his next nicotine fix. It is an addiction but it is nowhere near as bad as some drug addictions so try and put things in perspective.

The only issue you should be complaining about is the stench of the smoke. You can't tell people how to live their lives so don't even bother trying.
But you ignore the fact that maybe it becomes more then just unpleasant? It actually does become very uncomfortable to breathe when someone is smoking around you. The smell sticks, something which I do not want to be assosciated with and it is a filty habit. Passive smoking DOES make the passive smoker look ill aswell. Fuck me! We get yellow skin, darkened eyes and nails, bad breath and unpleasantness ALL FOR FREE!

What a fucking marvelous world we live in!

O

old.tRoG

It smells. That's it. The only thing us non-smokers should be campaigning for is to ban smoking from very public places.

Then, all it takes is some curtesy from the smokers, to either:

1. Stop smoking while non smokers are around
  2. Pop outside for a puff
    [/list=1]

There's no point in trying to grab someone by the neck and telling them to stop doing something they enjoy.

O

old.Tohtori

But you ignore the fact that maybe it becomes more then just unpleasant? It actually does become very uncomfortable to breathe when someone is smoking around you. The smell sticks, something which I do not want to be assosciated with and it is a filty habit. Passive smoking DOES make the passive smoker look ill aswell. Fuck me! We get yellow skin, darkened eyes and nails, bad breath and unpleasantness ALL FOR FREE!

Do you actually go up and hug the people who smoke?

Gees...take a step to the left and be happy. Quite extreme in your views.

C

Coim-

Murdering someone isn't a scientific issue like saying the sky is blue.

But, even in that extreme example, it used to be ok to kill someone in a duel, now it isn't. In the duture, murder maybe considered a blessing.
Wait a minute... smoking kills. Yet, smoking could be proven right. Now... killing people's wrong, yet it could be proven right. What's the difference? Anyways... I'll leave you with this... do you feel happy with yourself knowing that you, and others around you are slowly being poisoned because of your smoking?

E

Ekydus

Originally posted by Sharma
Yep and car exhaust fumes have absolutely no bad effects on our health either Ekydus. Yup. :eek7:
I don't go up to these, breathe on one and then blow it in your face, so please shut the fuck up.
Sure... there are other things, but this is on a personal level. You intrude my space with your smoke and I for one can't fucking stand it. It's not just that... It's the thought of someone you know killing themselves. Oh, you don't think I'd rather we live in an economically sound planet? Of course I would.

E

Ekydus

Do you actually go up and hug the people who smoke?

Gees...take a step to the left and be happy. Quite extreme in your views.
Maybe because it quite literally is EVERYONE in my family except myself, my brother and maybe 1 or 2 cousins that DON'T smoke?

Now that is fucked up.

M

Munkey-

Actually yes, cars do in effect blow upon your face. I have to cross a dual carrigeway everyday and have to wait about 5 minutes for a gap in order for me to run across. God knows how much shit from them i breathe in. I was in a car accident yesterday, wrote off my puegot (sp) and was damn lucky i only came away with a sore neck (considering that the police land cruiser was going full speed right into the back of it).

Thus i consider cars a more serious blight and menace to society than anyhting bar the human psyche.

O

old.Tohtori

Wait a minute... smoking kills. Yet, smoking could be proven right. Now... killing people's wrong, yet it could be proven right. What's the difference? Anyways... I'll leave you with this... do you feel happy with yourself knowing that you, and others around you are slowly being poisoned because of your smoking?

I don't give a f*ck. You forget that :p

I've stated it on these boards on numerous occasions. Kids are a refining natural resource. Kill one, make a new one. Big freaking deal. If my smoking kills someone, let 'em come around and bite me with their ghouly ass teeth.

I'm happy, well, whatever the f*ck happy is.

I stated a fact, anything can be proven wrong. Air might cause cancer for all we know. We don't know for a 100% certainty.

Now before i go, i'm just gonna say.

I'll keep smoking.

I'll quit when it fits me.

I've had a two month break and then started just for the hell of it.

I might die now or tomorrow, don't care about death, it comes.

You odn't like my opinions? It's ok, i still respect your views.

EDIT: Sorry! Breakthrough!

Maybe because it quite literally is EVERYONE in my family except myself, my brother and maybe 1 or 2 cousins that DON'T smoke?

Now that is fucked up.

Then go bitch to your family and not us! Hah.

E

Ekydus

When a smoker contracts the flu, they get a "smokers cough"... yeah... a normal person wouldn't literally cough until they bleed.

Please stop defending something so disgusting.

I have already said this is not an issue over the people who smoke, it's an issue about what smoking does, so just PLEASE stop defending it.

M

Munkey-

Now that is fucked up.

To be honest people in families who do smoke should do it outside, not in the house. Nothing as bad as a stinky house

E

Ekydus

Death comes. You don't give a fuck about the way it will come. Others do.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

I spent 2 years in Uni living with 3 girls who smoked CONSTANTLY! I mean from the moment they woke until the moment they went to sleep they ALWAYS had a joint or a ciggy in their mouths (except in lectures). I am well aware that the smell is atrocious and the entire house stank of smoke. Sometimes the living room would be so full of smoke that when I went in my eyes turned bright red and I had to leave again!

In all those 2 years of living there, my eyes never darkened, my skin never went yellow, my nails never became grimy and icksome and my breath rarely stank (except when I went mental with the garlic)! I didn't suffer any adverse affects whatsoever (although some people suspect that I may be permanently stoned as a result of living there) and my lungs are still in grand working order. ;)

Anti-smokers really are making a mountain out of a molehill. There are far more important things to worry about than the miniscule amount of damage second hand damage does to you...and I do mean miniscule! Neglible, even!

E

Ekydus

Originally posted by Munkey-
To be honest people in families who do smoke should do it outside, not in the house. Nothing as bad as a stinky house
Now imagine being a non smoker who can smell everything and being constantly surrounded by smoke which is uncomfortable.

M

mirieth

I understand what you're saying here, don't get me wrong now. It ain't fair that a 6 year old kid dies when hit by a car and mass murderers run free. I might not share this belief but many do. But perhaps, again don't take me the wrong way, you took this as a chance to vent out some frustration towards the fu*ked up world? I don't blame you for taking the chance, hell, i might have taken it myself. Not trying to be Sigmund f*king Fraud here but is it possible it's not about smokers as much as it's about you hating the way things work sometimes?

Just asking, still entitled to your opinion about hating smokers.

i agree, completely and totally. i'm liable to go off on one as friends know. i did use it as an oportunity to vent. i feel very strongly about smoking, i've grown up with it around me (my father until he left being the main person, plus 90% of my family) and i do truly hate it as i see absolutely no point in it, which frustrates me.

the thing which gets to me most is smoker's unwillingness to even acknowledge others. this is a hugely generalised statement i realise - you for one seel have said you try and smoke in private largely. i think that's excellent. my problem is that people smoke against the wishes of others in public places where it affects said people. before anyone makes any stupid comments like belsameth and munkey have to me on irc: i don't mean out in the open air, that obviously has no effect due to the amount of other crap already in the air. however when i go to pubs, gigs, parties whatever - social events - i am plagued by the smell and taste of nicotine and it's disgusting. why should i have to breathe that shit in when i don't smoke?

N

Nightchill

Originally posted by old.tRoG
Nothing wrong with the health side of it, in my opinion, as I really couldn't care less if I died at 59 or 95, but cigarettes smell. The smell gets everywhere - it infects the smoker, the people around the smoker, and the enviroment around the smoke.

It really isn't pleasant for non-smokers.

If a smoker is considerate enough to pop outside, have a puff, take a tictac, then run back in again, then hats off to them - they make my life a lot more pleasant :D

what he said ^^

M

Munkey-

Everyone i know who smokes is quite considerate and will move out of the ersonal space of someone who does. If you hang around with people who dont then they're not much of a friend.

Dont like people who smoke in restraunts either.

C

Coim-

I don't give a f*ck. You forget that :p

I've stated it on these boards on numerous occasions. Kids are a refining natural resource. Kill one, make a new one. Big freaking deal. If my smoking kills someone, let 'em come around and bite me with their ghouly ass teeth.

I'm happy, well, whatever the f*ck happy is.

I stated a fact, anything can be proven wrong. Air might cause cancer for all we know. We don't know for a 100% certainty.

Now before i go, i'm just gonna say.

I'll keep smoking.

I'll quit when it fits me.

I've had a two month break and then started just for the hell of it.

I might die now or tomorrow, don't care about death, it comes.

You odn't like my opinions? It's ok, i still respect your views.
If your best friend, or your wife, or your child or anyone like that died because they were smoking, or from other people's smoke... I don't think you'd feel the same way. Anyways... my dad quit smoking just before I was born because he didn't want to risk my health for something so stupid as cigarettes. That's the only thing I truly give him credit for.

E

Ekydus

Originally posted by mirieth
i agree, completely and totally. i'm liable to go off on one as friends know. i did use it as an oportunity to vent. i feel very strongly about smoking, i've grown up with it around me (my father until he left being the main person, plus 90% of my family) and i do truly hate it as i see absolutely no point in it, which frustrates me.

the thing which gets to me most is smoker's unwillingness to even acknowledge others. this is a hugely generalised statement i realise - you for one seel have said you try and smoke in private largely. i think that's excellent. my problem is that people smoke against the wishes of others in public places where it affects said people. before anyone makes any stupid comments like belsameth and munkey have to me on irc: i don't mean out in the open air, that obviously has no effect due to the amount of other crap already in the air. however when i go to pubs, gigs, parties whatever - social events - i am plagued by the smell and taste of nicotine and it's disgusting. why should i have to breathe that shit in when i don't smoke?
Pretty much myself aswell there.

O

old.Tohtori

If your best friend, or your wife, or your child or anyone like that died because they were smoking, or from other people's smoke... I don't think you'd feel the same way. Anyways... my dad quit smoking just before I was born because he didn't want to risk my health for something so stupid as cigarettes. That's the only thing I truly give him credit for.

Actually you don't know my mentality, my way of life. I don't consider death a bad thing. Strong believer in the viking ways and even before i read about those, i lived the ways.

So, no, death isn't something i cry about, it's a day of celebration.

You won't understand it, i know.

Users who are viewing this thread