Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The team I watch are in a pub league. They don't even sell tickets. The players and fans are no less passionate...in fact probably more so.

The game won't die, if anything it will see more and more people become disillusioned with league football...or at least top flight and return to grassroots football.

Count how many people you see at your next home game, then count how many UTD/Liverpool/whatever shirts you see in Tesco on match day.

Usually 1500-2000 at a Dulwich match to be fair, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Question. If the Superleague was an actual league with promotion and relegation for all, and replaced the CL and UEFA control, how would people feel about it?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Question. If the Superleague was an actual league with promotion and relegation for all, and replaced the CL and UEFA control, how would people feel about it?
As a fan of a non "big 6" club, I'd actually be more against this. I like the idea of the big brands being ringfenced and outside of the world of normal football. There would just have to be good contingency to make sure enough money was being filtered down to grass roots, and protections put in place to stop this happening again.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
That would be ok. Each year the top x teams from each eu league went into a new format champions league. No problems. Its the exclusivity and superiority complex that is the issue with no chance to change the teams ‘apart from the token 5 per year’. Even if like spurs are not performing.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Looks like it's dead in the water already:

View: https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1384454232867233792?s=20

I'm guessing from other rumours it's either Chelsea or City, as they were allegedly only brought in to the ESL last week, and were told get on board or miss out.

So no Bayern, no PSG, and potentially no City or Chelsea. Not really much of a Super League without them is it?

Embattle

FH is my second home

Perhaps but then that would only be because I dislike FIFA and UEFA to a lesser degree.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Bayern have made a statement and rummeniger is uefa boss or something now also. Really not going to happen imo.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
PSG were always going to be tied in to UEFA/FIFA until after Qatar 2022.

German teams hamstrung by the 50+1 model. Not sure they could join a super league without fan approval.

Both of the above would've been known by the "founding 12" and won't make a blind bit of difference.

I do wonder who else will go for it now though, with the huge backlash. Although a League of 12 teams playing each other 3 times would probably sell to the masses, and also allows for 1 each of those meetings to be a neutral venue, which is probably something that they wanted in the first place.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The 3rd games likely to be played in North America, Asia or the Middle East no doubt.

It wouldn't surprise me if eventually they start adding non-Euro teams at some point.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The 3rd games likely to be played in North America, Asia or the Middle East no doubt.

It wouldn't surprise me if eventually they start adding non-Euro teams at some point.

I remember watching a thing about Arsenal and China a while ago; basically, there's *way* more Chinese 'fans' than there are 'fans' in the UK.

In this context, I think fans should be read as customers.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I remember watching a thing about Arsenal and China a while ago; basically, there's *way* more Chinese 'fans' than there are 'fans' in the UK.

In this context, I think fans should be read as customers.

No surprise as it is Arsenal :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Yep, exactly what I was getting at. City have teams in New York and Melbourne for instance. What a chance for them to play "meaningful" games there.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I did just have a thought though. Let them play in it and then schedule all their premiership games on the same day. Deduct points for no-shows.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
More or less confirmed now. I'm not convinced this is all over though. Even if it goes away now, it'll be back in a few years.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Chelsea and City were rumoured to be the last to sign up due to the fear of missing out, so wouldn't be surprised if they were the first out.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Atleti pulling out as well. Laporta has also said Barca won't enter without the approval of the socios.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Haha, what a mess to create ill will among your fans :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Looks like The Glazer touch is alive and well. All they touch turns to shit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Slightly more reputable...

Edit - now TalkSport (and nobody else) are saying Woodward has resigned.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sky reporting it now too. Woodward gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom