Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
To play devils advocate a little.

If the big 6 did all get chucked out of the prem (not going to happen) then it would result in a league that is much more competitive for the not so well off clubs, but it would likely result in Everton or Leicester winning the prem year in year out instead of City/Chelsea etc and really, nothing massive would change that much for supporters of lower league teams.

I really would not count on the clubs not being kicked out.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I really would not count on the clubs not being kicked out.

Too many TV deals at risk, especially in England. If it comes to "who blinks first" those clubs have more power than the domestic leagues. Now UEFA and FIFA? That's a whole other issue. I really don't see how they can let this stand, so the threats of international football bans etc. have to be taken seriously. Its whether the players care enough at that point; some clearly won't.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Whilst this is all shit, the Premier League being hoisted by it's own petard is making me laugh.

Embattle

FH is my second home
That's how I read it as well, but the narrative in the media was they were all fucking off from their domestic leagues. This is somewhat different. Still greed, but they're not wrecking domestic football.

UEFA are the ones who are most threatened by this; its taking away the crown jewels.

I viewed the narrative that it'll damage the domestic leagues through a mixture of possible expulsions and that the clubs in the SL will become dominant in the domestic league using a closed revenue source.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Err excuse me, I'll have you know we're a "leading European football club".

Embattle

FH is my second home
I still don't understand why they state sacked, since last time I checked you don't tend to get paid after being sacked.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Official.

Embattle

FH is my second home
A ex colleague who has supported Spurs forever and used to regularly go the White Heart lane stopped once JM took over. We had a talk and I said when he joined Spurs that JM was problematic even at his 2nd run at Chelsea, he just wasn't the same.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I reckon in the last decade JM has almost made more from compensation than he has working.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Weird timing. Might as well kept him till end of year and had someone lined up to take over in the off season.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Bound to happen, but the timing is weird, unless they have someone lined up.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The usual rumour mill is saying that he refused to do training after yesterday's announcement. I doubt it but if so he has gone up in my books a little.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That's bollocks and was originally tweeted by some "journalist" who also said Newcastle were going to be in this Super League nonsense. Mourinho would wet himself at the prospect of several guaranteed matches against the biggest teams in Europe and Arsenal, I don't believe for a second he would be against it.

As for the timing, it has softened the blow of this Super League bollocks. Apparently the decision was made on Friday but the timing is... somewhat fortuitous for the club given the backlash over the other thing.

Embattle

FH is my second home
In essence the SL is a list of clubs with the highest value, not necessarily the most successful.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
That's bollocks and was originally tweeted by some "journalist" who also said Newcastle were going to be in this Super League nonsense. Mourinho would wet himself at the prospect of several guaranteed matches against the biggest teams in Europe and Arsenal, I don't believe for a second he would be against it.

As for the timing, it has softened the blow of this Super League bollocks. Apparently the decision was made on Friday but the timing is... somewhat fortuitous for the club given the backlash over the other thing.

The question is now, was Mourinho just brought in for the Amazon doc? Wouldn't put anything past that odious toad Levy.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
FIFA and UEFA bemoaning corruption and greed, what a time to be alive.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, that aspect is pretty fun.

I also read some of the 'big six' were complaining about the impact of Covid and how they are doing it to help stability. Which I thought was a bit much, have they taken a look down the leagues?!

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Capture.jpg

Biggest banter day in football history. I've done literally no work.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Now would be a good time for the new Super League to announce that all the games will be free to view and all profits will be donated to grass roots football.

Let's face it, the organisations are shitting themselves due to lost profits, not because they 'care' about the fans or because they're trying to up hold some kind of standard...

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Now would be a good time for the new Super League to announce that all the games will be free to view and all profits will be donated to grass roots football.

Let's face it, the organisations are shitting themselves due to lost profits, not because they 'care' about the fans or because they're trying to up hold some kind of standard...

Why would they do that? It would defeat the object of it.

Gwadien

Why would they do that? It would defeat the object of it.

Because it would be a PR coup.

When you have people saying such bullshit as;

'Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said that the plans threatened the pyramid structure of English football, "where funds from the globally successful Premier League flow down the leagues and into local communities".'

Plus, when I mean all profits, I don't obviously mean all profits, that'd be way too difficult accurately measure ;)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It would be a PR coup that would make starting the competition in the first place completely pointless.

Gwadien

It would be a PR coup that would make starting the competition in the first place completely pointless.

Not really, because they could still change the terms either way, but it'd be quite easy to get most football fans onside if they're seen not to be greedy/corrupt etc, a nice break from normal football.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom