Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Embattle

FH is my second home
Even where there are fan owned clubs, greed and stupidity still rule, look at the state of Barcelona.

Well they seem happy enough with Messi there, I mean he is clearly there because he loves the fans and not the half million they pay him every week.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yep. I'm convinced they were only so against it because they didn't think they'd get the rights for it.

They were going after American tech giant money and their plan would have been to split the games across Amazon/Disney/FB/Youtube and keep them all even. The last thing they wanted was another negotiation with the likes of Sky.

For me the one silver lining is Woodward is gone (this whole thing has his way of thinking all over it), I just wish there was a way to get rid of the Glazers too, but that's too much to hope for.

DaGaffer

Well they seem happy enough with Messi there, I mean he is clearly there because he loves the fans and not the half million they pay him every week.

He'll be less happy when he's getting paid nothing at all because Barca couldn't find €420m down the back of the sofa to pay this year's debt repayments (never mind the full €1.2bn they actually owe). This is the flip side of fan ownership; owning shares in something you're emotionally attached to is actually a terrible idea, because you tend to fall for the promises of every shyster who comes along promising you the moon on a stick. Like Perez (but in truth all the Barca presidents are just as bad).

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
They were going after American tech giant money and their plan would have been to split the games across Amazon/Disney/FB/Youtube and keep them all even. The last thing they wanted was another negotiation with the likes of Sky.

For me the one silver lining is Woodward is gone (this whole thing has his way of thinking all over it), I just wish there was a way to get rid of the Glazers too, but that's too much to hope for.

Get rid of the Glazers and replace them with who though at that price? House of Saud still looking a club I expect.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Other club presidents put out a vid yet?

Maybe because yank football works in that model you just don't understand sport deep down in a different way, but you still done fucked up Mr Henry. And no, your wider organisation fucked up too - yes, you bear responsibility, but there's no way the decision wasn't made collectively, before your rubber-stamping.

But at least he's put a video out to say "sorry, my bad"...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
a) "The project was never going to stand without the support of the fans" yet they went forward with it without consulting the fans.

b)

All of these owners should just keep their mouths shut, there's no combination of words that'll absolve them of what they've done.

It's why I don't understand the pissing contest of comparing the statements they all put out last night. Tottenham's was directly from the chairman but argh, he didn't say sorry like the Arsenal board did but holy hell the ones United and Liverpool put out were genuinely awful.

Does anybody genuinely believe that any of them are actually sorry?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
All the big 6 fans chipping in as well saying the clubs shouldn't be punished because it's not the fans fault. It wasn't our fans fault when we went into administration either, but we got a big points deduction. Ban from Europe next year, and start the season on -20 points.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The only punishment I can see would be a domestic one - UEFA basically bribed the teams to come back into the fold so I doubt they'll try to stop them competing.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The only punishment I can see would be a domestic one - UEFA basically bribed the teams to come back into the fold so I doubt they'll try to stop them competing.
I don't think there will be any, unfortunately.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Get rid of the Glazers and replace them with who though at that price? House of Saud still looking a club I expect.

The only people with the money to pay £lol for a football club are Asians or Saudis, or cunts like the Glaziers/Liverpool crowd, none of whom give a shit about football or fans. The big clubs will be the victim of their own 'success'

DaGaffer

There are no good ownership options, but the Glazers are the biggest leeches of all the high profile club owners, by a long way.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The owners aren't going anywhere, the only thing that can stop them trying this nonsense again in a few years is legislation.

Embattle

FH is my second home
All the big 6 fans chipping in as well saying the clubs shouldn't be punished because it's not the fans fault. It wasn't our fans fault when we went into administration either, but we got a big points deduction. Ban from Europe next year, and start the season on -20 points.

That so isn't going to happen unless you really want to create a ESL type league.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
That so isn't going to happen unless you really want to create a ESL type league.

I've always been in favour in fucking the big clubs off to their own billionaires playground. It's going to happen eventually so just get it over with imo.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've always been in favour in fucking the big clubs off to their own billionaires playground. It's going to happen eventually so just get it over with imo.
There'll always be clubs waiting in the wings to become the next "big clubs". Much better to try and rein the current ones in somehow imo.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
There'll always be clubs waiting in the wings to become the next "big clubs". Much better to try and rein the current ones in somehow imo.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd support the ESL if there were then regulations put in place to stop football turning back into the same shitshow.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
There are no good ownership options, but the Glazers are the biggest leeches of all the high profile club owners, by a long way.
Liecs owner was pretty good and Asian. His estate / family seem quite popular still.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Our owner was great before he died - Marcus Liebherr. Our current owner is a Chinese billionaire who doesn't invest money into the club, and has made us a self-sufficient business, which I love. He has invested money in the city, rather than the club.

DaGaffer

Our owner was great before he died - Marcus Liebherr. Our current owner is a Chinese billionaire who doesn't invest money into the club, and has made us a self-sufficient business, which I love. He has invested money in the city, rather than the club.

United is a sustainable business if its not carrying leveraged debt not of its own making and a family of bastards using it as their personal piggy bank.

From a revenue perspective Woodward knew what he was doing, he should just never have been allowed near any actual footballing matters, and stuck with selling the prestigious "Official Toothpaste Sponsor of Manchester United in Kazakhstan" package. He was great at that shit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
To a degree it's the same story with Tottenham. Joe Lewis is a billionaire but he doesn't put money into the club, Levy has grown it - completely within its means - from the mess ENIC inherited from Alan Sugar into one of the 10 most valuable clubs in the world. Sure the stadium is going to be a millstone but it's all structured debt and there isn't a stadium around that's going to generate more revenue when life recovers post-COVID. Say what you like about him on the football side (and plenty have and continue to) and whether or not he's an arsehole, but the man knows how to run a business.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Cobblers named in Sky sports betting add, not sure to be proud or not.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

They are so very sorry that everyone thought it was a stupid, parasitic fucking idea, they really are.

Have some sympathy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You went into administration because you fucked up.

The big six tried to do something completely legal but outside the current competition. That's a business decision. A shit one, but you can't punish businesses for making decisions in their own interests.

Or, you make sport a more regulated endeavour period. And watch the money drain out.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
You went into administration because you fucked up.

The big six tried to do something completely legal but outside the current competition. That's a business decision. A shit one, but you can't punish businesses for making decisions in their own interests.

Or, you make sport a more regulated endeavour period. And watch the money drain out.
Hahahahaha. You can't be fucking serious with this post?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

I'd back this. Not sure what would become of Scottish football though, it's such a drop off from Celtic & Rangers. I feel like they deserve more though. They'd become very rich clubs overnight and with their huge fan bases, would have every chance of succeeding. Old Firm derby becomes one of the biggest games on the planet just like that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
10 years ago I would have said it was a stupid idea but not now. It would certainly be interesting to see them in the prem (or a new version of the prem)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The common argument is that the old firm aren't good enough, which is probably true, but as I said, they'd get a huge cash injection if they joined the premier league, and have the infrastructure in place to support it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't remember the circumstances of Cardiff and Swansea City joining the English league but it seemed to work for them. As for the rest of the teams, they'll just carry on and be more competitive with each other I expect. How many Welsh teams can you name outside Swansea and Cardiff? I didn't even know what their league was called until I just looked it up. And Glasgow isn't *that* much further than say, Newcastle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom