Football The 2019/2020 Season Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I could've told you that before kickoff. I could've told you that as soon as it was confirmed that Son was injured tbh.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You have to feel that Allison would've stopped all of their goals but thankfully the ref didn't fall for any of Liverpool's diving.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Coronavirus: Three Leicester City players in isolation after showing symptoms

Arsenal players in isolation (after playing 2 matches) because they met the Olympiacos boss, 3 Leicester players now self-isolating... It's not looking good for this season. I don't know what they'd do, it seems like they have 3 or 4 options:

- scrap the season and go again in August with this season's starting CL/EL positions
- suspend the season for a couple of weeks but then it'd be getting dangerously close to Euro 2020 (assuming it still goes ahead - it seems like madness to have hundreds of thousands of fans flying around Europe several times and then going back to their home countries but maybe it'll all have passed by then)
- knock it on the head now and just call everybody's current position their final one

As a Tottenham fan, the first one sounds the most sensible... although I expect there'd be all sorts of challenges from the likes of Leicester if they were denied a CL spot.

Serie A has suspended, La Liga have suspended, Eredivisie has suspended, the Champions League is suspended (City vs. Real Madrid and Juve vs. Lyon anyway)...

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh. It's just a cold. Keep the old people indoors if you want to keep them alive, otherwise Covidparty the fuck out of 'em to save the NHS a fuckton long-term :)

Play footie behind closed doors. Or, alternatively, losers have to lick a random italian.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Meh. It's just a cold. Keep the old people indoors if you want to keep them alive, otherwise Covidparty the fuck out of 'em to save the NHS a fuckton long-term :)

Play footie behind closed doors. Or, alternatively, losers have to lick a random italian.
Behind closed doors is shite though, the clubs lose out financially and you can guarantee that you'd still get fans congregating outside the grounds which would totally defeat the object.

And Chelsea had a "scare". Chelsea training cancelled after coronavirus concern

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Coronavirus: Three Leicester City players in isolation after showing symptoms

Arsenal players in isolation (after playing 2 matches) because they met the Olympiacos boss, 3 Leicester players now self-isolating... It's not looking good for this season. I don't know what they'd do, it seems like they have 3 or 4 options:

- scrap the season and go again in August with this season's starting CL/EL positions
- suspend the season for a couple of weeks but then it'd be getting dangerously close to Euro 2020 (assuming it still goes ahead - it seems like madness to have hundreds of thousands of fans flying around Europe several times and then going back to their home countries but maybe it'll all have passed by then)
- knock it on the head now and just call everybody's current position their final one

As a Tottenham fan, the first one sounds the most sensible... although I expect there'd be all sorts of challenges from the likes of Leicester if they were denied a CL spot.

Serie A has suspended, La Liga have suspended, Eredivisie has suspended, the Champions League is suspended (City vs. Real Madrid and Juve vs. Lyon anyway)...
I reckon we abandon the season :)

poor Liverpool haha

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Behind closed doors is shite though, the clubs lose out financially and you can guarantee that you'd still get fans congregating outside the grounds which would totally defeat the object.

And Chelsea had a "scare". Chelsea training cancelled after coronavirus concern
So what if they lose out financially? That's called business risk.

If we have to go down that route then footie should be free on TV for a while too so people don't congregate in pubs. Sky and BT need to take that on the chin too.

Managing disruption on a country level is the same as anywhere else. Government must direct, and they'll have laws that say "when shit hits the fan do as we say or go to jail" - so companies will tow the line.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So what if they lose out financially? That's called business risk.

If we have to go down that route then footie should be free on TV for a while too so people don't congregate in pubs. Sky and BT need to take that on the chin too.

Managing disruption on a country level is the same as anywhere else. Government must direct, and they'll have laws that say "when shit hits the fan do as we say or go to jail" - so companies will tow the line.

Just let people stream it.

Discord allows 50 people to watch the same stream in a chat channel, they've increased it from 10 to 50 due to corona, clever business move, but also nice.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Arteta too. The whole Arsenal team is self-isolating, and Watford train right next door to them and were sent home from training.

If the Euros are postponed it makes perfect sense to suspend the season for a month.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I actually feel sorry for Liverpool (which makes me throw up in my mouth a bit just writing that). If the season is cut short, even if the title is (rightly) given to them, they will still have to suffer twats claiming it wasn’t a real title from now until the heat death of the universe, and if they write the season off completely that would be a travesty given their position, but then what about the rest of the top four and the relegation spots?

I’m beginning to think the only workable solution across Europe might involve writing off Euro 2020, assuming football can get back to normal in a month or so. If it’s longer than that...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They think it's going to peak in late April so you'd think play wouldn't resume until at least early-mid May. The Euros could be postponed until 2021 to give them an extra month or so to get this season done, give the players a break and get back into a "normal" preseason schedule. I'm sure they will do everything they can to contain the disruption to this season, one way or another.

Edit - Now Everton are self-isolating and it looks like the EFL/EPL are both going to be suspending fixtures for "several weeks".

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I’m beginning to think the only workable solution across Europe might involve writing off Euro 2020, assuming football can get back to normal in a month or so. If it’s longer than that...
I think coronavirus is here to stay tbh.

If Everton are self-isolating it's over. They're our next game :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Something even more boring than an international break!

DaGaffer

Euro 2020 postponed for a year. Gives the domestic season a fighting chance to finish up in June/July.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If they're talking about the need to keep these restrictive movements up for 18 months because they got the plan so wrong the first time, I don't see how there's going to be any football this year, let alone in June.

DaGaffer

If they're talking about the need to keep these restrictive movements up for 18 months because they got the plan so wrong the first time, I don't see how there's going to be any football this year, let alone in June.

Its just not sustainable to lock everyone down for 18 months. The oldies will have to take their chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom