Football The 2018/2019 Season Thread

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
More importantly Michael Owens been hitting the pies.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I thought it was going to be cagey and shit tbh. Hoped it wouldn't be but with so much at stake it often is.
Maybe it was because there was a 3 week break and nobody was match fit or what but everybody was giving the ball away, both teams made countless errors throughout. Maybe it was the early (contentious) pen that ruined it as a spectacle, I don't know. A pen at 26 seconds, then 89 mins of depressing football, then a goal and that was that.

Job

Too many exciting game sin the semis.

We wouldnt have been happy unless it was 5-0 and Spurs scored 6 in injury time.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
D8DxjjIWkAAm0Pj.jpg

Embattle

FH is my second home
Maybe it was because there was a 3 week break and nobody was match fit or what but everybody was giving the ball away, both teams made countless errors throughout. Maybe it was the early (contentious) pen that ruined it as a spectacle, I don't know. A pen at 26 seconds, then 89 mins of depressing football, then a goal and that was that.

Our game was a firecracker compared to last night's.

I see the only real reason I didn't want Liverpool to win has already started :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Danish media is all over Eriksen at the moment, and it didn't get better with his goal tonight.
Where do you reckon he'll be playing come next season?

Assuming "something new" doesn't mean "beating the first man when he takes a corner", it looks like he's off.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
What is the purpose of this new event anyway?

£?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Why is that a mercy? They'll still use the scoreboards and PA system to describe the decisions. This isn't some sort of "Liverpool leading the way" thing, they just don't want to (or don't have the real estate to) install big screens. It's not like Anfield will be a VAR-free zone (which is unfortunate for the likes of Salah).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm sure this will have a massive impact on you at all the games you go to watch. :)
Standing around at a football match bored out of your skull whilst some arsehole "somewhere" checks a TV screen and makes a decision - (decisions that clearly haven't cleared up the controversies) - makes for a fucking dull time.

It also robs us of the single best thing in football - the immediacy of emotional release when the ball hits the back of the net. Now everyone'll be hanging on going, "was it a goal? Wait for VAR...." "ah yes." *shuffles feet*.

What I find laughable is that they're releasing an app so people can watch the replays on their phones. (selected replays, of course, not all of them). - That's fucking amazing. people standing around in stadiums not looking at the pitch, but looking at their phones.

It's a fucking joke.

Gwadien

Standing around at a football match bored out of your skull whilst some arsehole "somewhere" checks a TV screen and makes a decision - (decisions that clearly haven't cleared up the controversies) - makes for a fucking dull time.

It also robs us of the single best thing in football - the immediacy of emotional release when the ball hits the back of the net. Now everyone'll be hanging on going, "was it a goal? Wait for VAR...." "ah yes." *shuffles feet*.

What I find laughable is that they're releasing an app so people can watch the replays on their phones. (selected replays, of course, not all of them). - That's fucking amazing. people standing around in stadiums not looking at the pitch, but looking at their phones.

It's a fucking joke.

I do understand the concerns...

However, I do think next season the Refs should go in ham on players and VARing diving challenges and giving them straight reds if it's blatant, it'll be shit next season, but I can promise you the years after that, they won't have to use VAR as much.

As much as you dislike football being stopped for challenges, I rarely watch Premier League football, but I watched a game the other day and the standard tactic seems to be get your striker in the box and get him to fall over in a good fashion.

The result in that is that defenders are shit scared to tackle players because they know they'll get a penalty

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What a shit reason to ruin the emotion felt on scoring goals in a human game.

Gwadien

What a shit reason to ruin the emotion felt on scoring goals in a human game.

What, because people are cheating?

Let's win by diving all the time and ignore the other teams complaints that we're cheating, because the current rules are easy to break.

What a shit attitude.

As I said, I haven't been following the PL much, but I imagine Liverpool have won lots of games in this fashion?

Job

They are taught to do it.
And for some reasons the refs have a gentlemens agreement to fall for it.
A player rolling around on the floor like hes been hit a by a 90mm tank round, then jumps up as soon as the foul is given...I mean..they must know, the refs arent mentally retarded.
Its a thing in football.
Americans repeat it as the number one reason they think soccer is a joke.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Football hasn't ever been *ruined* by cheating. It's fucking pathetic to go on a crusade against cheating 100% if it means ruining the bits of the game that work best.

What's doubly worse is that controversy hasn't been eliminated. Even if that's desireable - It doesn't fucking work.

Well done. You've not fixed diving or cheating but you've gutted the best thing about football and shat it onto mobile phones.

"bwuuuuuh!!! but cheeeetiiing!!!!!!111"

#fuckingretards

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm just checking but you do realise that there will still be "some arsehole somewhere" checking a TV screen and that the ref will still be able to check a monitor at the side of the pitch, right? They're talking here about showing the decision/replay on the big screens in the stadia to try to engage the fans a bit and explain what's been given.

Anfield and Old Trafford don't have big screens so that's why this is a thing. Presumably at Anfield they're worried somebody would pinch them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@caLLous - I don't give a fuck about the arsehole watching the screen. It's clear that I care primarily (but not exclusively) about this:

The immediacy of emotion, the roar of the crowd as the ball hits the net, that's one of the best feelings about football. That immediate outpouring of joy and triumph is part of the very soul of the game. The world's most popular game - which is so because people love it. And they love it because of how it makes them feel.

Tell me how VAR isn't in any way a threat to that and I'll fuck off.

It's idiocy. Idiocy in the pursuit of money.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So what's all of that got to do with Liverpool not installing big screens at Anfield?

Also, they don't check every goal. Dozens (probably hundreds, I can't be arsed to work it out) of goals were scored in the Champions League this season without even a sniff of VAR.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Could argue that VARs purpose is to rule on cases where the ball does not hit the net ;)

Job

Well when everyone has a 30x stabilised zoom 5G , 8K video streaming phone with ball tracking its all going to get a bit moot.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It is a shame in some ways but I guess that is a stunning amount of money for a player with only a year left on their contract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom