Football The 2018/2019 Season Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Good draw for Liverpool
It was hard enough to find it on the bbc sport front page!

Yeah. But I don't think it really matters at this stage. But if I could have picked, yeah. Problem is, liverpool turn up better for the bigger teams, but mentality should be no excuse :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Looks like Man City are going through in FA CUP with 2 goals that shouldn't of been given, bummer for Swansea.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
But the fact that people make mistakes is what makes football so magical and wonderful!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Tell that to the heartbroken Swansea fans who were just robbed of a magnificent result against the best team in the land because of a dive and an offside goal.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tell that to the heartbroken Swansea fans who were just robbed of a magnificent result against the best team in the land because of a dive and an offside goal.
Soon as I meet one I'll remember to laugh at them, just as the whole country did when a beach ball scored the winning goal against us and the whole world did when maradonna palmed it into the back of the net in a much bigger game.

And I won't care :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
So knew it was coming after our domination of the first half.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
54515971_2399589403398013_2705015440047865856_o.png

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So much for "intimidating" Montenegro support. Ten goals in two games, I could get used to this.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Why did they photoshop an S on the end of kid?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Because they're "the football banter page" and this is top class banter or something.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Because I know you're all dying to watch the opening ceremony at the stadium.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Danny Rose says he "can't wait to see the back of football" because of racism.

I get his point, being on the receiving end of racist abuse isn't great. But at the end of the day, I think he's a bit of a princess because of this:
Danny Rose said:
When countries get fined what I probably spend on a night out in London what do you expect?
Yeah. Countries do get fined 40+ grand for when their supporters are found guilty of being asshats. Nice that you're now so privileged that you see a 40 grand fine as nothing (which, on a country and footballer level, is indeed nothing, but still...).

But what does he actually want?

The point of those fines is to make newspaper headlines that get slung across the country showing that racism is unacceptable to the whole population. It drives discussions. And slowly, over time, attitudes change. Like they have in England.

I don't like what this means. English people who are so unused to hearing racist things (good), whilst being unable to accept that not every part of the world has moved on at the pace we have (which shows a staggering lack of education, so bad), that the tried-and-tested methods of slowly changing attitudes of populations are no longer "good enough" (why not?), and demanding that "more be done".

What, exactly? Hit every country that's not progressed as far as yours with the "ban" stick? Hold other countries to standards that they can't possibly attain because prevailing social attitudes aren't there yet?

He might be sick of the politics in football. Maybe he should just get his head down and play, and ignore the rest. And if someone does call him nigger, just laugh internally and go out and blow 40 grand that night for shits and giggles.

Or, maybe, donate it to an anti-racism charity, if he thinks "more needs to be done". Because he's certainly in the financial position to do more about it now, isn't he.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To be fair, he answers my whine with this:
You see my manager [at Tottenham, Mauricio Pochettino] get banned for two games for just being confrontational against [referee] Mike Dean at Burnley - but a country can only get fined a little bit of money for being racist. It's a bit of a farce.
A country generally isn't "racist" Danny. It's can have racist people in it, sure, but for a country to be racist it would have to have something in it's constitution that was discriminatory. (Like Israel, which has made saying this a bit more complex.)

But either way - Pochettino got banned for two games because "being confrontational" is the beginnings of fronting up with physical violence. And last time I looked, actual physical violence was more serious than verbal abuse.

But "racism" trumps all now, eh?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Danny Rose says he "can't wait to see the back of football" because of racism.

I get his point, being on the receiving end of racist abuse isn't great. But at the end of the day, I think he's a bit of a princess because of this:

Yeah. Countries do get fined 40+ grand for when their supporters are found guilty of being asshats. Nice that you're now so privileged that you see a 40 grand fine as nothing (which, on a country and footballer level, is indeed nothing, but still...).

But what does he actually want?

The point of those fines is to make newspaper headlines that get slung across the country showing that racism is unacceptable to the whole population. It drives discussions. And slowly, over time, attitudes change. Like they have in England.

I don't like what this means. English people who are so unused to hearing racist things (good), whilst being unable to accept that not every part of the world has moved on at the pace we have (which shows a staggering lack of education, so bad), that the tried-and-tested methods of slowly changing attitudes of populations are no longer "good enough" (why not?), and demanding that "more be done".

What, exactly? Hit every country that's not progressed as far as yours with the "ban" stick? Hold other countries to standards that they can't possibly attain because prevailing social attitudes aren't there yet?

He might be sick of the politics in football. Maybe he should just get his head down and play, and ignore the rest. And if someone does call him nigger, just laugh internally and go out and blow 40 grand that night for shits and giggles.

Or, maybe, donate it to an anti-racism charity, if he thinks "more needs to be done". Because he's certainly in the financial position to do more about it now, isn't he.
I don't think that's very fair. He's not bragging about how much he earns, he's exaggeratedly using it as a comparison for the pitiful fines that get handed out. And as for him being "in the financial position to do more about it", what's chucking money at it going to fix? You can't change entrenched views with a bit of marketing, otherwise the "kick it out" campaign would've worked.

After the Montenegro match, loads of people came out and said that black players get abuse hurled at them every week up and down the country, so I don't know that attitudes have really changed in Britain. After all, Brexit.

And when he said "country" he obviously meant that country's football association and that the supporters were being racist, not the country football association itself.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
what's chucking money at it going to fix?
What are fines going to fix?

We know how to essentially fix the bulk of racism - at least in countries that aren't as far along the road as we are. It's a lot less prevalant in this country than when I was growing up.

Kick it out is bullshit - it's never going to work because it infantilises the issue rather than having adult discussions about things. In fact, I think we've stalled in our process precisely because we're hitting things with the ban stick and more rules and regulations rather than having free and open adult discussions. (In fact, you can't have free or open adult discussions with a racist - because the minute he says something racist we can now lock him up, so no discussion takes place).

But funding anti-racist campaigning organisations would be better than whining about how much you hate football nowadays.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't know that fines will fix anything, even if you increase them massively. Maybe kicking the country out of a tournament or forcing them to play behind closed doors - incentivise the country itself to make change rather than giving them silly little fines and carrying as if nothing happened.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't know that fines will fix anything, even if you increase them massively. Maybe kicking the country out of a tournament or forcing them to play behind closed doors - incentivise the country itself to make change rather than giving them silly little fines and carrying as if nothing happened.
They already do that.

But they generally take the pragmatic view that whilst football is useful in bringing forward discussions of racial bias, it's not the solution to the whole problem.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fucking Chelsea but oh what a goal by Salah. Out of Shitty and Lollerpool - Lollerpool to win the league please.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Salah's goal was lovely, I didn't expect us to win and overall we played ok but Sari still made changes that were stupid such as keeping Willian on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom