Football The 2017/2018 Season Thread

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Thatll shut Zidane up. What was that he said? "Now we'll see if England or Spain is better"?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I wonder if they shit on him from above the same as Cantona. Career over if the do, I would imagine.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

He worked wonders at Sunderland so it's got to be worth a shot.

georgie

FH is my second home
Fair play to the guy that tried to stick his face in the way of it. Good job he didn't manage it though tbh.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Boring!? We got Ireland in a total thriller of a match!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

They've only gone and done it. The only smart bit of all this is is that it's only a 6 month contract.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I also wouldn't mind seeing a comparison between what each player cost and what they're worth according to these figures. It'd be pointless because players get older, get nearer the end of their contracts and the TV money has sort of fucked the economics of transfers up, but Spurs would do really well on it (Dier, Alli and Kane for a combined cost of £9m, with a combined "value" of €~450m), so there's that.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I also wouldn't mind seeing a comparison between what each player cost and what they're worth according to these figures. It'd be pointless because players get older, get nearer the end of their contracts and the TV money has sort of fucked the economics of transfers up, but Spurs would do really well on it (Dier, Alli and Kane for a combined cost of £9m, with a combined "value" of €~450m), so there's that.

I think this analysis is doing that, which is part of the reason why Spurs' numbers look so good (cheap players who are now worth shitloads), whereas PSG's don't, because they'll never get the same as they paid for most of their players. The problem is the analysis is really only based on future value rather than any consideration of value delivered in the past or right now (so a player in the last year of their contract may not be worth as much on paper, but if they bang in 30 goals this season, they've added a hell of a lot). Be interesting to know if their merchandising value is included as well; as I would imagine Ronaldo and Messi shirts still outsell Harry Kane shirts by hundreds to one.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think this analysis is doing that, which is part of the reason why Spurs' numbers look so good (cheap players who are now worth shitloads), whereas PSG's don't, because they'll never get the same as they paid for most of their players. The problem is the analysis is really only based on future value rather than any consideration of value delivered in the past or right now (so a player in the last year of their contract may not be worth as much on paper, but if they bang in 30 goals this season, they've added a hell of a lot). Be interesting to know if their merchandising value is included as well; as I would imagine Ronaldo and Messi shirts still outsell Harry Kane shirts by hundreds to one.
I guess it is but if that was truly the case surely Spurs would be above City? Expensive players worth even more because they're so bloody good vs cheap, young players all locked down on long contracts whose prices have risen exponentially thanks mostly to Poch (he's magic, you know). I was surprised to see that Ozil is only worth €39m but then he's 29, out of contract in the summer, and his eyes are offside. Compared to Alli, who's 21, recently signed a contract 'til 2022 and is worth €182m, it's pretty clear to see how important age and length of contract is in their model.

Their methodology is described here, it doesn't say anything about merchandising (which would doubtless add all sorts of variables and complexity).

Marc

FH is my second home
I watched the Atlanta v Spal game last weekend and the ref sent someone off after consulting the VAR. It was the softest red I have ever seen so even the VAR cant save shit refs

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, it wont stop shit refs but it should make them more accountable for bad decisions.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Whats this flag waving pish? Its like watching a Chelsea game ffs

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not all that terrible from England tonight. Nothing special but we weren't shit.

Anyone that pulled out of the squad should be left out of the WC squad, fuck'um, about time other players were given a chance.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah fuck all those injured players!

I don't have a problem with teams resting players for pointless friendlies heading into one of the busiest periods of the season. I know that the 3 Tottenham players who were rested are either currently injured (Kane and Winks vs Palace) or have been injured very recently and haven't played since (Alli) and Spurs still fielded 3 players in the team that started. I don't know about other clubs' players.

Drinkwater's the one that didn't sit well - Southgate asked him to play and he declined because he wasn't fit enough. He's a professional footballer who hasn't been injured since a thigh strain in September, it's his job to be fit enough. If the club had said he was injured that's one thing (even if they had said he was "injured") but if Conte asked him to play 90 minutes would he turn round and say no? It's a couple of international friendlies, I'm sure he could've managed being on the bench at least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom