Football The 2012 / 2013 Season Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Screen+Shot+2013-06-05+at+12.41.04+PM.png

soze

I am a FH squatter
The Sun are reporting that we are in a £40m bidding war with United for Cesc. I can't help but see that as a mistake. He does not want to leave Barce, so this will be Barce wanting to cash in. But I bet Cesc will still see Barce as his home. So while we could have him for two years and get him back on track to become one of the best midfielders in the world when Barce want him back they will come back and unsettle him again to buy him on the cheap.

Himse

FH is my second home
The Sun are reporting that we are in a £40m bidding war with United for Cesc. I can't help but see that as a mistake. He does not want to leave Barce, so this will be Barce wanting to cash in. But I bet Cesc will still see Barce as his home. So while we could have him for two years and get him back on track to become one of the best midfielders in the world when Barce want him back they will come back and unsettle him again to buy him on the cheap.

Apparently in his contract Arsenal have first refusal anyway, so it's probably all just guff at the moment.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Apparently in his contract Arsenal have first refusal anyway, so it's probably all just guff at the moment.

Only if they are prepared to pay his buyout clause and meet his wage demands. They're making all the right noises about being a real player in the transfer market, but I really don't know if Arsenal would be prepared to stump up 26m for Fabregas.

I don't think any quality player just wants to sit on the bench, especially with a World Cup coming up. I also don't think he's stupid; if he came back to England I can't see him bouncing back to Barca when he's 28-29 to once again be fighting to fit into the system. Of course if Villanova goes, everything could change.

Himse

FH is my second home
Only if they are prepared to pay his buyout clause and meet his wage demands. They're making all the right noises about being a real player in the transfer market, but I really don't know if Arsenal would be prepared to stump up 26m for Fabregas.

I don't think any quality player just wants to sit on the bench, especially with a World Cup coming up. I also don't think he's stupid; if he came back to England I can't see him bouncing back to Barca when he's 28-29 to once again be fighting to fit into the system. Of course if Villanova goes, everything could change.

Yeah only if they meet his buyout, but I think Arsenal are aware that they need to step their game up with Chelsea willing to splash 50m+ euros to land Cavani etc.

I think they'll change their wage/spending policy slightly.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well if the England U21s are any thing to go by it seems we will be waiting for sometime for the main team to improve in the future.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Doesn't matter who is in charge, the coaching system in this country has been wrong for a long time with too much emphasis on size and strength. There's no technique, even at a very young age its all about results. we need to get kids playing fusbal on small pitches and make it all about 1-2 touch football.

Then when the football is like an extension of their feet, then you get em on full size pitches with matchballs etc.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well if the England U21s are any thing to go by it seems we will be waiting for sometime for the main team to improve in the future.

The English FA is fucked, we wont be producing any winning teams this generation. English football needs to stop being so arrogant and look at what the Germans and Spanish did. Build from the youth up.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
"But.. We had possesion and they couldn't take control of the match?"

1370766965620.gif

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's no technique, even at a very young age its all about results. we need to get kids playing fusbal on small pitches and make it all about 1-2 touch football.

Kids have to be obsessed and play in large quantities (in terms of kids and amount of play time) for that to come through.

In the days of x-factor, mainstream computer gaming and all the other shit that goes in our fat-and-sugar induced western society it ain't gonna happen....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fuck me, my mind boggles at the audacity of the backhanders that must have happened to justify some of these builds.

Was reading the Economist the other month and they were whining about how Brazil's government is using a portion of it's huge oil wealth to help fund all sorts of social projects. The Economist didn't like that, not one little bit.

Maybe this is what happens when a market economy is set up so that not all of the wealth goes to line the pockets of a tiny amount of individuals?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Was reading the Economist the other month and they were whining about how Brazil's government is using a portion of it's huge oil wealth to help fund all sorts of social projects. The Economist didn't like that, not one little bit.

Maybe this is what happens when a market economy is set up so that not all of the wealth goes to line the pockets of a tiny amount of individuals?

Scouse, what's the point of building a 43,000 seater football stadium in the Pantanal, where the local football clubs get attendances in the hundreds? Or a stadium in Manaus, where no-one plays football because the heat and humidity will fucking kill you in about ten minutes if you try? Even in cities with a football culture like Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre they've built completely unnecessary new stadia rather than using existing facilities. In Porto Alegre's case Gremio only opened their new stadium six months ago.

I've got no problem with spending money on public works, I think it would be a better solution for Britain than blinkered austerity, but I've been to Brazil, more white elephant football stadia isn't what they need.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Scouse, what's the point of building a 43,000 seater football stadium in the Pantanal, where the local football clubs get attendances in the hundreds? Or a stadium in Manaus, where no-one plays football because the heat and humidity will fucking kill you in about ten minutes if you try? Even in cities with a football culture like Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre they've built completely unnecessary new stadia rather than using existing facilities. In Porto Alegre's case Gremio only opened their new stadium six months ago.

I've got no problem with spending money on public works, I think it would be a better solution for Britain than blinkered austerity, but I've been to Brazil, more white elephant football stadia isn't what they need.

Not disagreeing but I think you have to have stadiums spread all over the country if you want to host a WC. I seem to remember Plymouth would have been one of ours if we got it in 2018.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Not really any different from the last world cup when it comes to stadiums then. As for wealth, Brazil has plenty of very rich individuals with some set to become some of the richest in the world.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
HE'S BACK

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ndres-Iniesta-after-claims-he-damaged-La-Liga

"I damaged Spanish football by being the manager that broke Barcelona dominance," the Portugese coach said.
"They were dominant and dominant and dominant and it looked like it was a dominance without an end.
"Real Madrid won the cup final against Barcelona, Real Madrid win the Super Cup against Barcelona, Real Madrid won in Barcelona and Real Madrid won the championship which is the historical championship of 100 points and 121 goals."

<3

eksdee

FH is my second home

I watched the whole press conference and it was generally pretty low key, but that was a highlight. The best bit was when someone asked him now he has 'matured' what he feels are his weaknesses - his response was along the lines of 'well, we all have weaknesses... but I don't have many'.

Great to see him back, I really hope it's a success and that he'll be in it for the long haul now as he keeps saying. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scouse, what's the point of building a 43,000 seater football stadium in the Pantanal, where the local football clubs get attendances in the hundreds?

I don't disagree with you on anything particularly in your post. It's a broken global economy that does this.

What's the point of spending on the Olympics, as the UK? It's to send a message to the rest of the world, is all. Same with Brasilian football for the World Cup...

...whether that's the best way to spend your sponders, well, I think it's shit, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom