Football The 2011/2012 Season Thread

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Gladbach finished 4th in the Bundesliga and are in Europe?

How is that a waste.
There were quite a few top teams in the Prem looking at him.. he would have had a much higher chance of playing for a really good team if he stayed in the Prem for another season or two :/

If he stayed in the Prem his chances of becoming a very good football would have been a lot higher I think.

Last edited:

Everz

FH is my second home
There were quite a few top teams in the Prem looking at him.. he would have had a much higher chance of playing for a really good team if he stayed in the Prem for another season or two :/

Errmm, no they weren't, bottom half teams maybe but not ones that are a massive club in Germany and in Europe next season, where he is also guaranteed first team football as the direct replacement for Marco Reus.

If you were told you could play for likes of Wigan, Norwich etc or go to a top german side in Europe, which would you choose?

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Errmm, no they weren't, bottom half teams maybe but not ones that are a massive club in Germany and in Europe next season, where he is also guaranteed first team football as the direct replacement for Marco Reus.

If you were told you could play for likes of Wigan, Norwich etc or go to a top german side in Europe, which would you choose?

He was linked with Arsenal (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/10/rumour-mill-arsenal-junior-hoilett) plus Spurs/Newcastle/Sunderland and also on the last day of the january transfer window Everton put a bid in..

I'm sure a lot of top prem teams were very interested in him as he would have cost about 4m in compensation fees.. 500k for Borussia though :S

Everz

FH is my second home
At either of those mentioned he was NOT guaranteed first team football. At Gladbach he would be first choice for a club that finished 4th in the league and are playing in Europe.

I can't fathom why that is a waste as it is a smart career move for any young player. On a side note, he becomes eligible for England in one month.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
At either of those mentioned he was NOT guaranteed first team football. At Gladbach he would be first choice for a club that finished 4th in the league and are playing in Europe.

I can't fathom why that is a waste as it is a smart career move for any young player. On a side note, he becomes eligible for England in one month.
He would have got first team football at Everton/Sunderland easily I think.. Gladbach are only in the qualification stages for CL as well though.. they might not even qualify :ROFLMAO:

I would have even liked Liverpool to sign him for 15-20m.. cause I love the type of player he is :( it's such a shame to lose another quality player to a different league..

Even if he decides he wants to play for England (not sure if he'll qualify??) it will be a lot harder for him if he plays in Germany instead of England :/

Last edited:

Everz

FH is my second home
Jesus I can't be bothered to go through it.

Sit down, take a logical think, have a look at what those respective clubs (Everton/Sunderland) have to look forward to next season, then think what Gladbach have.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Jesus I can't be bothered to go through it.

Sit down, take a logical think, have a look at what those respective clubs (Everton/Sunderland) have to look forward to next season, then think what Gladbach have.
Well probably their best player just left them... it doesn't exactly look amazing for them ;)..

Edit: actually two of their best players are leaving them :D Dante is going to Bayern!

Last edited:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yet we should include players who refuse to be on standby? Does not compute! *head explodes*

Capello alienated alot of players, it's Roy's job to build bridges now and get those players back onboard for some reason he hasn't. So now we go into a tournament with a weaker squad just because no one seems to be trying to get those players back into the fold.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Capello alienated alot of players, it's Roy's job to build bridges now and get those players back onboard for some reason he hasn't. So now we go into a tournament with a weaker squad just because no one seems to be trying to get those players back into the fold.
Sorry mate I disagree the players should have made themselves available again with the new manager. You say you want a strong manager yet think he should go begging players to forgive him for another managers mistake.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Sorry mate I disagree the players should have made themselves available again with the new manager. You say you want a strong manager yet think he should go begging players to forgive him for another managers mistake.

Do not put words into my mouth, he doesn't have to beg anyone but he should talk to them and he clearly he hasn't. Certainly not to Carrick or Scholes, Micah Richards either. As manager he is paid to get results and to get results firstly you need to pick your best squad, instead we have a botch job where Rio isn't on backup and doesn't understand why, he is clearly annoyed about it because Roy's 'reasons' were never explained to him but we all know the issue, court case and the FA. So let us get this right, someone totally innocent is dropped to keep a player accused of wrong doing happy. Sound familair?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Keitz, you clearly have zero idea of the strength of the german league. To claim that the likes of Everton and sunderland would be better than playing for the 4th placed team in Germany just defies belief.

gohan

I am a FH squatter
Do not put words into my mouth, he doesn't have to beg anyone but he should talk to them and he clearly he hasn't. Certainly not to Carrick or Scholes, Micah Richards either. As manager he is paid to get results and to get results firstly you need to pick your best squad, instead we have a botch job where Rio isn't on backup and doesn't understand why, he is clearly annoyed about it because Roy's 'reasons' were never explained to him but we all know the issue, court case and the FA. So let us get this right, someone totally innocent is dropped to keep a player accused of wrong doing happy. Sound familair?
doesn't help that SAF has said rio CAN NOT play 2 games per week..... also he's been on the decline as a footballer for the last 3 years. so has JT, I'd leave them both behind personally

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I agree that Rio should not be there, however it does seem he's not gone for non-footballing reasons.... as is evident with the rest of the squad selections.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do not think what you are saying is wrong, but Richards was not picked because Phil Jones was if I am right. He offers more utility than Richards and for whatever reason Johnson was picked number 1. Under the new manager Richards refused to be left on the reverse list. Now for the manager to get him back he would need to chase after Richards and beg (that is how he press would report it) him to come into the team now. And if he said yes it would make him as big of an ego monster as anyone else, too good for the reserve squad but willing to come back to the first team.

And I am not defending the selection of the team it is full of names rather than players there though merit, I am merely saying a Manager can not go chasing after players while wanting to be strong. If Richards really wanted to play he would of been called up from the reserves by now.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Proof that FM is totally bollocks... spuds just won the premiership in my first season (I was Wigan), United 2nd, City 3rd.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
doesn't help that SAF has said rio CAN NOT play 2 games per week..... also he's been on the decline as a footballer for the last 3 years. so has JT, I'd leave them both behind personally

The tournament is 7 games over 28 days, he might need to miss a single group game but he can easily cope with the schedule considering he has had 3 weeks rest. It is madness for him to be left out after an excellent season, you say he is in decline and yes he has lost some pace but his stats for this season were superb. He certainly deserved a place ahead of a player who has started 12 league games all season and has almost zero top level experience.

Nope, it is a mistake and it was Roy's mistake to make. The same as not talking to Carrick or Micah Richards.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Ch3tan said:
Proof that FM is totally bollocks... spuds just won the premiership in my first season (I was Wigan), United 2nd, City 3rd.

In mine wolves came 4th lol

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I agree that Rio should not be there, however it does seem he's not gone for non-footballing reasons.... as is evident with the rest of the squad selections.

As a United fan I don't see how you can say that, he had a great season and without him we would never have challenged this year.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Everton won it the first season I played in FM11.. I literally cried and uninstalled the game and didn't play for a few months ;/

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
As a United fan I don't see how you can say that, he had a great season and without him we would never have challenged this year.

Yes he's been great, but you can't have passengers at a major tournament, and I'd want Roy to only take players capable of playing every game. I also think he should build for the future, and he's only partly showed signs of doing that.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Everton won it the first season I played in FM11.. I literally cried and uninstalled the game and didn't play for a few months ;/

My top 7:

Spuds, United, City > big gap > Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Chelski. hah.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yes he's been great, but you can't have passengers at a major tournament, and I'd want Roy to only take players capable of playing every game. I also think he should build for the future, and he's only partly showed signs of doing that.

Mate, you don't build for the future at tournaments, that is what qualifying is for. You take your best 23 and try win the fucking thing. What you don't do is compromise yourself by dropping one of your best players to keep another of your top players happy, not when that player is a fucking scumbag who will be found guilty of calling a fellow professional a 'black cunt' or is capable of the kind of shit he pulled in Barcelona. Rio is many things but he always represents the shirt well and is clearly upset that he wasn't even considered as a backup over players who have zero international or top flight exposure.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Roy only had what? 4 weeks from being appointed to picking the first squad.. that really isn't long to put together everything.. it wouldn't surprise me if he had no time to talk to Richards..

Richards and Carrick must be a bit pissed off that they could both be playing in the first team for EURO 2012 if they didn't mind being included on the stand by list :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Mate, you don't build for the future at tournaments, that is what qualifying is for. You take your best 23 and try win the fucking thing. What you don't do is compromise yourself by dropping one of your best players to keep another of your top players happy, not when that player is a fucking scumbag who will be found guilty of calling a fellow professional a 'black cunt' or is capable of the kind of shit he pulled in Barcelona. Rio is many things but he always represents the shirt well and is clearly upset that he wasn't even considered as a backup over players who have zero international or top flight exposure.

We've all been crying for changes to the old guard, and I don't disagree with him making them. Not enough was done however, and it's become a bit of a mess.

I think the FA still hold to much sway over the selection, and it's a shame.

I'd rather see our younger players get tournament experience, than see Rio, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard etc, get yet another run out for no reason.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The whole philosophy of the national team is wrong. Regardless of what previous managers have said or done, every single English player should be beating Hodgson's door down to play for their country.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'd rather see our younger players get tournament experience, than see Rio, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard etc, get yet another run out for no reason.

This. Another thing that winds me up is people getting picked because it could be their last chance to play for their country. So fuck? It shouldn't be about sentimental rubbish like that, players should be picked based on talent.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
so if it should be based on talent, why is Martin Kelly going rather than Rio who played 3 times as many games than him, and for the team that finished runners up in the league?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom