Football The 2011/2012 Season Thread

Everz

FH is my second home
Billy Wright to get honoured tonight amongst others.

Criminal how he is never mentioned by the modern media despite being one of the games greatest ever centre backs. Runner up in the Ballon d'Or to the great Di Stefano and first man to reach 100 caps for his country. Should be a statue outside Wembley for him.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Billy Wright to get honoured tonight amongst others.

Criminal how he is never mentioned by the modern media despite being one of the games greatest ever centre backs. Runner up in the Ballon d'Or to the great Di Stefano and first man to reach 100 caps for his country. Should be a statue outside Wembley for him.

Legend mate, on of my dad's old workmates was from Wolverhampton and he was always on about Billy Wright whenever football was mentioned because he had seen him play in the 1950's. All those old legends like Dixie Dean, Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse, Tom Finney and Jackie Milburn should never be forgotten. It is just a damn shame that so little footage remains of these great players in thier prime, would have loved to see Duncan Edwards but what little film is around and intact is very poor quality.

Everz

FH is my second home
Legend mate, on of my dad's old workmates was from Wolverhampton and he was always on about Billy Wright whenever football was mentioned because he had seen him play in the 1950's. All those old legends like Dixie Dean, Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse, Tom Finney and Jackie Milburn should never be forgotten. It is just a damn shame that so little footage remains of these great players in thier prime, would have loved to see Duncan Edwards but what little film is around and intact is very poor quality.

All the older relatives and fans I know speak of Billy as a legend of the game. Even the greats such as Puskas and Di Stefano are quoted as saying that he was the best they would come up against. Agreed I'd love have seen them all play, some of the things they said Finney could do would astound even the likes of Messi. True legends of the game that never should be forgotten and in my opinion, honoured on a national scale rather then respective clubs where they are legends.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Ive always wondered just how far Duncan edwards could have gone, he appeared to have everything.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
There must be a shit ton of players who looked great for a spell when they were young then went on to be average or merely good.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yes if you look at the various club websites you will see stories about xyz being the next big thing only to see that 5 years later they are released and playing in the lower leagues. It is obviously not easy to make the step up from promise to actual ability.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
All the older relatives and fans I know speak of Billy as a legend of the game. Even the greats such as Puskas and Di Stefano are quoted as saying that he was the best they would come up against. Agreed I'd love have seen them all play, some of the things they said Finney could do would astound even the likes of Messi. True legends of the game that never should be forgotten and in my opinion, honoured on a national scale rather then respective clubs where they are legends.

I smell bullshit. If you look at the defenders of that period, they were shit! Yeah they were fantastic compared to other people at that time, but in todays world with the technique, skill and vision of some of the modern day players they are miles behind Messi & Ronaldo etc.

Everz

FH is my second home
I smell bullshit. If you look at the defenders of that period, they were shit! Yeah they were fantastic compared to other people at that time, but in todays world with the technique, skill and vision of some of the modern day players they are miles behind Messi & Ronaldo etc.

Have you ever seen the few videos of him, he was a true genius of the game. Defenders of that period were shit? Please.

You telling me that Messi/Ronaldo are better then brilliance such as Di Stefano/Puskas/Kopa hell even Pele?

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Defenders would just push the attacker over instead of actually defend :D

soze

I am a FH squatter
That is the thing the player always seems a lot slower back then, the speed Ronaldo and Messi run and makes the clips of Pele ect seem slow. So to me it would seem like the defenders of this era who also seem a lot quicker would give Pele ect more problems. But with that said if Pele played today he would have the same fitness and training as Messi so his natural talent would make see him shine still. So i suppose like with everything else comparing old school who were much bigger and stronger at the expense of speed with modern footballers is pointless.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
My god, Phil Jones passing is shoxking, even compared with the rest of the england team

Embattle

FH is my second home
Crap passing, not something Roy can do much about apart from not play them again.

ileks

Part of the furniture
And I own an Orient season ticket. That's really saying something.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Looks like we will be going for a Greek style Euros win. Grind the results out a bore our way to wins if needed. Stoke style football.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Talivar said:
Doesnt Chelseea offer enough english players?
Terry - Cahill - Cole - Lampard - Sturridge -Betrand - Hutchinson - Turnbull - Machearan from the first team.

I'm sure if you looked harder you could name a few English people who cut the grass, and about as close to the full England team as some of the people in that list.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Looks like we will be going for a Greek style Euros win. Grind the results out a bore our way to wins if needed. Stoke style football.

This is what Hodgson offers, organised compact teams.

The reality is we don't have the ability to play better football right now, so making the best of what we have is wise. At least it wasn't long ball, so not quite Greece.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Will Keane scored two great strikers finishes for the England under-19's tonight, happy days! :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And Kenny didn't?

Hodgson did the best with what you had. Kenny did worse with even better.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
No manager would have done well in Hodgson's situation with Liverpool.. Kenny however is clueless with tactics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom