Sooo Fallout 4 anyone?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its an RPG first and a shooter second. While the gunplay isn't great the story and world generally is. Obviously it would be better with proper fps action but beneath it all the RPG dice are being rolled, hit chance, damage, crit etc

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Its an RPG first and a shooter second. While the gunplay isn't great the story and world generally is. Obviously it would be better with proper fps action but beneath it all the RPG dice are being rolled, hit chance, damage, crit etc
Yeah, I agree. But it sets it out as an RPG with guns - and for me, personally, if they can't get the gunplay right then there's a lot of other RPG's out there that I can play without shelling out 40 quid.

It's lazy tbh. They should be able to fix their engine so both the RPG and the gunplay works out fine. And the lack of emphasis on AI is unforgiveable really. And considering the moving about and shooting is the main mechanic...

However, I really do like the story, the setting, everything else about the game. I just can't love it tho. I'd give it 80% if I reviewed it...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Started playing...man I can't wait for the texture mods, it looks seriously dated.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Played two and a half hours i think it looks fine but then i dont spend my time running right up to surfaces to see if they still look good. Runs well at 60fps.

Enjoying the gun play. Its like putting on a comfy pair of slippers. Just fall back into it from fnv.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/top/?

Listed by download/endorsement so is a pretty fair list. Take note that I gave up trying to get fallout 3 to work on win10, not sure about New Vegas or whether it suffers the same compatibility problems.

Steam just finished re-downloading New Vegas. I presume I run it at least the once before attempting any mods.

Any suggestions based on that list? I was thinking of installing:

1) Nevada Skies for more interesting weather effects.
2) EVE for better explosions.
3) NMCS texture pack to fix the ugly.
4) Maybe MTUI for bigger user interface lists?

If any of them are shit, let me know. Looks like it may be a bit of a ballache to install some of them. Nexus Mod Manager's a requirement for the texture pack as is some 4Gb memory patch.

I'll do that instead of looking for a job tomorrow I guess ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yes, run it first.

By far the best mods are those that have been put in a pack by someone else, or made into a list. You have to get the load order right or one mod might mess with another.

Install one mod at a time then run the game to make sure it still works.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes, run it first.
Well balls. Trying to logon to their forum to download and it says incorrect password. Go through their password change procedure and it says "incorrect password" again.

Their password fix process is broken. I seem to remember this from last time I logged on :(

Ah well. One more registration under a spam account it is...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So I've put in about 10 hours now, a few early thoughts.

The graphics are terrible, I mean 4-5 years out of date, yes its more detailed than fallout 3, yes the world feels fuller but its still the same texture packs, the same character models, lighting is good, overall inexcusable for a "next gen" title.

The combat feels slightly better, enemies actually hide...they still run around like headless chickens for the most part but at least they use cover now and again. The VATS system is improved and is now useful.

I like that weapons are ridiculously customisable, they feel powerful yet not over powered, in previous fallout games you almost felt like throwing the weapon at the enemy would be more useful, especially early on.

Love some of the NPC conversations, even from random NPCs, had a couple of raiders argue over who screwed up ambushing me, probably scripted but was entertaining.

I don't get the power armour, I wore it for a bit and then it ran out of juice and I dumped it at my settlement, not worn it for hours now, not found a power source for it, just gone to the main city though so maybe I can buy some power there?

Spent an hour or so messing about with a settlement, built a few structures and whatnot, not sure what the point is though as I seemed to have gained nothing from it, maybe as the game and story develop they will have a point. So far they seem to have thought, lets stick in a minecraft style mini game in for the sake of it!

The world map seems ever so small, in the 10 hours I have played I have done about a quarter of the map, though not cleared out every location. I haven't bothered with the main quest at all as that is generally the last thing I do in this type of game, I would expect to get at least 200 hours out of a modern day free-roaming RPG, I can't see that happening without DLC.

Ultimately, Its crying out for some graphical mods, both for the world and for characters, I think I might play a few hours tomorrow and then shelve it until that happens, because its so similar to Skyrim hopefully that won't take too long, there are one or two early mods available already.

At the end of the day that is what you get with a Bethesda RPG, the basic layout, its when the decent mods start coming that it really comes alive.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Oh and lol at peasents dipping as low as 20fps on this, how is it even playable?!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Oh and lol at peasents dipping as low as 20fps on this, how is it even playable?!
You can play it on like five yer old gfx cards so its bound to not be bleeding edge.

I get sixty fps on a 970m but i turned off that ray shit and lowered depth of field as i hate that.

To me it looks ok. Ofc it can be better and hi def textures are always a mod after.

I got two fusion cores or whatever before i got the power armour. Hpugh they give it you early in the game so i think its only there to take on the first boss ish mob imo.

Before you get your perks up

Oh im a game play man more than gfx. I can play a game that doesnt make my eyes bleed

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
So do I, with everything maxed (except that ray shit) and it still looks old.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I shy from buying games at release, got burned too many times. While i thoroughly enjoyed F3 and its spawns (it's still installed), I will give this some time before purchasing.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Once you start actively looking for fusion cores you will realise they everywhere, I am almost always in my suit now apart from when it needs repairing and have 12 cores left. Story wise i have not even reached main city yet.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Weapon-sounds are abysmal, there's no real feel to it, tbh. Also, there's no middle ground from Power Armour and regular armour. Also, why do a copy/paste of Skyrim. They were on the right track with Fallout New Vegas tbh.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Cuz they ported the skyrim engine for ps4/xb1, might as well reuse it!

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Weapon-sounds are abysmal, there's no real feel to it, tbh. Also, there's no middle ground from Power Armour and regular armour. Also, why do a copy/paste of Skyrim. They were on the right track with Fallout New Vegas tbh.

There's already a load of sound mods on Nexus to change the weapon sounds. No idea if they are an actual improvement though.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Walking around in a mech-suit and my best gun being a silenced pistol.. It just doesn't feel right

Zarjazz

The more I play the more I realise the SPECIAL / Perk system has some serious problems. You're pretty much forced into going for specific perks otherwise you find yourself severally handicapped. Charisma for Local Leader, Intel for Gun Nut & Science, Perception for Lock Picking, and so on. Most of all Strength seems compulsory otherwise you can barely carry anything more than a few decent weapons (mod weight adds up) and you're companion can only carry so much.

So much for trying to play with a specific character build.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah but there is no level cap so you can get the essentials down pretty early on and then move onto some of the interesting stuff.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am going to give the textures the benefit of doubt as the gameplay is so good. It is a shame it has been hamstrung by consoles but all will be fixed with mods soon enough. It also annoys the crap out of me that you are limited to what you can put in a settlement, again thanks to peasants. I had some really big plans for a couple of them until I realised the yellow bar in the top right corner is the limit to what you can build, not the size of the settlement. Ended up just putting up a load of turrets and abandoning them, kind of makes the whole foraging side game pointless as nothing has much use.

I need to work out how to abandon that fucking dog too, at the bottom of a lake if possible, fucking thing is forever getting me stuck in door ways or on stairs, died a couple of times because it was in the way when I was trying to kite something or run away from a grenade, piss annoying when you haven't saved recently.

I have found quite a lot of fusion cores are behind locked doors and I hadn't been investing in lock picking, picking up enough now with the odd shop bought core after revisiting sites I remembered had them. I might just finish the game with the least amount of side quests as possible and then revisit it later on for sandbox mode. I had planned on not touching it at all but I am weak.

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Too late for edit, the mod tools will be out in early 2016 so until then we shouldn't expect any serious mods :(

Poag

m00?
Fortunately the engine being Skyrim they can reuse alot of the tools and methodology. So mod additions will come thick and fast.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Yeah agree about the dog, it's only annoying. Gets in the way, gets hurt and alerts enemies.

Zarjazz

I got rid of the dog as soon as I could. The human companions don't seem as badly affected by dodgy AI as the others, probably as they don't have the need to run directly into the enemy. You can also kit them out with different armour and weapons, just like in Skyrim, which you can't do with the dog.

You do miss out on a lot if you don't have high lock-picking level. Hence my earlier comment. :) Hacking on the otherhand it seems to be fine. I haven't found anywhere they needs more than a lvl 1 perk in it so far.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have seen a couple but they were near safes so assume they just unlocked the safe (which I picked anyway)

At level 25 and maxed picking and hacking (as far as I can with the level, 1 more level to get on each, mid-30s) Because I didn't realise you could scroll down the perks board I have got high base stats across the board, which I guess is pretty handy for the long haul but means its all a bit basic perk wise atm. There are tones of different perks though that sound interesting and I think there is scope for various different build, you just have to plan long.

I would love to have a go at a melee guy but always go down the stealth route.

Last edited:

Zarjazz

I think there is scope for various different build, you just have to plan long.

I think you're right. Unfortunately there's no re-spec option so I'd have to start fresh but with a lot more knowledge this time.

It's funny you mentioned melee. I started out with a sniper mechanic build but due random wandering I found a crazy good legendary melee weapon & armour combo so I now find myself going insane with an axe lopping off heads. Very enjoyable :D

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Running around and everything feels disjointed tbh, story and quest-wise. Can't really enjoy this game. Damn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom