Some SM advice?

illu

Part of the furniture
Hi

Just wondering if people can recommend tactics in these situations:
Stealther attacks and runs after you - the Spirit Champion seems to not be able to catch up with the assassin before he gets to you, do you try and cast a speedwarp? Mezz? Root?

I've gone temporarily 47Dark Rest mostly Summ.

Also my Spirit Champion likes to wander off (it's on defensive and follow) and sometimes tangles itself up in guards, which it then dies, then about 30 secs later I get a load of guards on me :/

Is it best to try and interrupt other casters while you try and lifetap them? (using that insta dex? str? debuff)

1on1 is it best to simply try and get the first cast in?

1 on many, do you go for a Mezz? What Mezz to use too? I have about 3 of them.

Any help appreciated.

PS Hibs Casters are such easymode! And their FG's love to steamroll everyone. And its the same every bloody time, Hib in range, Stun nuke nuke dead.
Albs FG incoming, their ridiculous mezz range, nuke nuke dead :/

How do middies cope?!

If I wanted to do well in RvR - would it be recommended to go MoC3 Purge3?
I will eventually change this SM back to the summ one it was, but to make the RP I need to make farming life easier - I've decided to go to the Dark Side for a while :>

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
illu said:
Hi

Just wondering if people can recommend tactics in these situations:
Stealther attacks and runs after you - the Spirit Champion seems to not be able to catch up with the assassin before he gets to you, do you try and cast a speedwarp? Mezz? Root?

I've gone temporarily 47Dark Rest mostly Summ.

Also my Spirit Champion likes to wander off (it's on defensive and follow) and sometimes tangles itself up in guards, which it then dies, then about 30 secs later I get a load of guards on me :/

Is it best to try and interrupt other casters while you try and lifetap them? (using that insta dex? str? debuff)

1on1 is it best to simply try and get the first cast in?

1 on many, do you go for a Mezz? What Mezz to use too? I have about 3 of them.

Any help appreciated.

PS Hibs Casters are such easymode! And their FG's love to steamroll everyone. And its the same every bloody time, Hib in range, Stun nuke nuke dead.
Albs FG incoming, their ridiculous mezz range, nuke nuke dead :/

How do middies cope?!

If I wanted to do well in RvR - would it be recommended to go MoC3 Purge3?
I will eventually change this SM back to the summ one it was, but to make the RP I need to make farming life easier - I've decided to go to the Dark Side for a while :>

Stealther runs after you: quickcast mezz, run away. Then send your pet and start nuking. (always run with pet on passive.) You should really go 47 dark rest supp for the blue con\str debuff too.
Insta debuffs doesnt interupt people, id recomend sending your pet vs casters. Always mezz your target first (the one that wins the cc is most likely to win), then you can send pet and start lifetapping. If the stealther aint dead before he reaches you do pet passive and root.
Use the aoe mezz :) not the one that does not require a target, but the one that has to be casted on a target.. (sorry hard to explain in english xD)
Always start off with mezzing if you are solo, if in group you should start dex debuffing targets, rooting the inc tanks and assist the MA. also when healer mezz is broken you should start using the target required mezz for interupts ;)

If you want to do well in rvr you pick passive ra's before active ones.

I played my sm without any active ra's to about 5l8.. then i quit :p was still not planning to get moc 3 before rr7 or so.
Get: aug dex 3, mom 3, aug acuity 3 wp 3 atleast

hope it helps ;)

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
Allways keep pet on passive. only send it in when fighting :)

vs casters start lt and then spam d/q and dex debuff while casting.

Allways d/q and dex debuff other casters as it totally cripples them.

passive pet won't wander of (allmost not) and intercept best.

Remember as sm U got both mezz and root so if one is purged use the other.

remember that mezz is most often the best 1 cast U can do, cause then U get time to position yourself.

And last remember U can debuff while casting. I said this before but d/q and dex debuff rox vs any caster so use it.

Hope U can use some of it :drink:

illu

Part of the furniture

It's a strange old world the Casting world. My SM is uber feeble because it's template is a Summ SM one, and goes down in 2-3 hits (an archer 1 shot me yesterday :p), but if left alone for a few seconds, the SM can really cause some damage :> I need to be less gung-ho and hang back a little.
And there are a few times where I instinctively hit my stealth button, then realise I'm not playing my SB :p

I think I'll play this toon till rr4 or rr5 so that I can get nice RAs that will help with Summoning.

Then again - I might get the bug, and want to be an almighty spiritmaster and kill incoming groups of alb casters and mow them down MoC3 LT LT LT stylee :> hehe. I'll respec to the passives as suggested soon, aug dex 3, mom 3, aug acuity 3 wp 3 (that's 40? points = rr5?).

There should be a place for purge though? Otherwise every hib encounter will just end up with instadeath? Stun nuke nuke nuke :/

Oli - Illu

illu

Part of the furniture
adoNix said:
/snip Stealther runs after you: quickcast mezz, run away. Then send your pet and start nuking. (always run with pet on passive.) /snip
Also - is the quickcast like a get out of jail free card? Say stealther is practically on top of me, do I just /face quickcast mezz, even if he is starting to bash me - or will I get interrupted?

Also do you find you run out of end real quick? I've got longwind 1 now to help with my running around antics :>

Oli - Illu

Danord_durin

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:
Also - is the quickcast like a get out of jail free card? Say stealther is practically on top of me, do I just /face quickcast mezz, even if he is starting to bash me - or will I get interrupted?

Also do you find you run out of end real quick? I've got longwind 1 now to help with my running around antics :>

Oli - Illu

End pots for the kiting win:)

Keata

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:

Oli - Illu

Its absolutely not a get out of jail free card. You have to remember that casting speed and stuff like that doesnt affect your spells when quickcasting(afaik:confused: ) meaning that quickcasting a mezz takes times, but its the only sollution when a stealther is at your face. And yes, its uninterruptable.

I would suggest having moc1 aleast before you hit RR5, i know its not leet but its a nice survival trick in tight situations.

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
illu said:

Oli - Illu

Just a heads up.

If the stealther is on top of U and comming for U don't /face and mezz U can /face but qc the pba mezz as U then avoid the run thru problem.

And ofc stilll remember to do both spec debuff and both base debuff on stealthers nice damage decrease they suffer when U taken like 150+ dex and 100 str

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
Keata said:
Its absolutely not a get out of jail free card. You have to remember that casting speed and stuff like that doesnt affect your spells when quickcasting(afaik:confused: ) meaning that quickcasting a mezz takes times, but its the only sollution when a stealther is at your face. And yes, its uninterruptable.

I would suggest having moc1 aleast before you hit RR5, i know its not leet but its a nice survival trick in tight situations.

Moc 2/3 works fine to :)

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
Oh btw illu Ra wise

Acording to every test MoM 4 + WP 3 > MoM 3 + AA 3 + WP 3

same cost so :)

illu

Part of the furniture
Bistrup666 said:
Oh btw illu Ra wise

Acording to every test MoM 4 + WP 3 > MoM 3 + AA 3 + WP 3

same cost so :)

Hopefully iRvR will stay around a while so I can put all this lovely info into action! :>

Oli - Illu

illu

Part of the furniture
Well I'm deffo having a lot of fun, learning to be a little less gung-ho, and slowly getting some RP.

Respecced the RAs to Mom2 WP2 Purge1 LW1 and Dex1 for the moment.

Saving up for Moc3 Purge3 Mom3 WP5 LW1 Dex5 :p

Pissed off with the amount of easy kills hibs get from their Mezz everyone then stun nuke nuke nuke. It's utter bullshit.

A few more questions:

Does the staff you have in your hand - do you just need one with lvl 50 of the spec you are? And does the speed of the staff matter?

Any recommendations for items that have nice speed and range bonuses on them?

TBH I don't really want to spend any plat on this toon, and at the moment in its rog suit it does "ok", but the more hibs kill me, the more I just want revenge!!!!!

And finally - what is the most amount of people you have killed on your SM that were in a group - and how did you do it?
I'm thinking a lovely mezz on some lowbies then picking each one off at range with maybe a speed thing cast and killing them all! :> Then somemore come and you moc3 and kill all!

One day :>

Oli - Illu

olco

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:
Does the staff you have in your hand - do you just need one with lvl 50 of the spec you are? And does the speed of the staff matter?
The focus works as follows:
in general and easily put: focus reduces(or lack of focus increases) the amount of power it costs to cast a spell, the amount will vary between 75-125% of the delved value depending on how much the spelllvl is relative to your focus lvl. I believe if focuslvl=spellvl it costs the delve value, if focuslvl>spelllvl it lowers the powercost to 75% of the delvecost depending on how much greater the focuslvl is according to the spellvll.
(note: i'm not too sure of the actual numbers, but it's something like that)

Now, afaik you can only get a maximum of focus to [your spec + items +rr] and it caps at 50 (highest focus is 50 lvls)
So if you use a lvl 50 spell in a line with 20(spec)+11(item)+1(rr)=32 your focus on your staff will only count as 32focus and not 50 (even though it's listed as such)

Now considering pretty much every toa rog staff, arti staff and crafted staff will/can have 50 focus to all, you might as well pick one up and then you don't have to worry about it so much :p

One tip though: Keep your staff repaired, focuseffectieveness drops when condition drops, and it's very noticable too, so don't let your staff drop too low (repair on 97 or 93% con)

illu said:
Only arties (gov, nailah's, PHN, JS, EC(?), BoZ) will have range on them.
As for speed, it comes on normal drops too, ring ot torrent being the most available one i think. CS has 5% speed too.
Check http://www.ethinarg.com/, go to itemlist and search for 'bonus to spell casting speed'.

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
illu said:
Well I'm deffo having a lot of fun, learning to be a little less gung-ho, and slowly getting some RP.

Respecced the RAs to Mom2 WP2 Purge1 LW1 and Dex1 for the moment.

Saving up for Moc3 Purge3 Mom3 WP5 LW1 Dex5 :p

Pissed off with the amount of easy kills hibs get from their Mezz everyone then stun nuke nuke nuke. It's utter bullshit.

A few more questions:

TBH I don't really want to spend any plat on this toon, and at the moment in its rog suit it does "ok", but the more hibs kill me, the more I just want revenge!!!!!

And finally - what is the most amount of people you have killed on your SM that were in a group - and how did you do it?
I'm thinking a lovely mezz on some lowbies then picking each one off at range with maybe a speed thing cast and killing them all! :> Then somemore come and you moc3 and kill all!

One day :>

Oli - Illu

Oki Illu some stuff for U here

1. allways remember RA wise damage is tweaked by WP MoM and AA ALLWAYS remember that it is MoM>WP>AA that is for 10 point MoM 4 is better than any other setup check damage table (thoQQ I can't remember where it is)

2. if U r a kobbie and have just abit cap to dex U will NOT ned dex 5 as lt caps out at 382'ish (don't remember excatly but ask some expirienced guy's as I play rm mostly)

3. Arti's don't want to spend much cash ? Then get atleast following champ staff, Jacina, erinys (or AT can work), if GoV cost too much´for U then go with Nailah it will do nicely, and scallars if U can.
These gives U 8 damge 10 range and 7 castspeed. The last castspeed can be covered by other stuff or U can get CS but that have crap util even tho as sm the /use2 is usefull.

Oh and problems with archers ?

/face em sprint towards spamming d/q debuff when it hits spam dex debuff stop and QC mezz. pet will interrupt ½ the shoots or so and the Ml9 abusers just get your pet to deal with.

as sm U will hate hibs cause U got nothing with 1500+ range so as I prolly said in every post on this thread: when U meet one deeeeex debuff's :drink:

In grp's allways try to get on the good side with the runecarver (ea. me :) )
assist them and U will find out that they r your best m8's and U will wanna make love to them on the spot in plain wiev of all them little luvi's and fishes.

When U start spamming them 1k lt and your hp just refill in 1 nuke U know what I'm talking about.

Anyways GL with the sm Illu

illu

Part of the furniture
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bistrup666 again.

:/

Oli - Illu

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
dunno m8, but after playing chanter - cabalist for a few ranks i would say sm beats em high :d even in solo (ml9 pet against melee chars is way off... wont forget nuking down rank 11 infiltrator without getting hurt) Though not having long range spells can be annoying but you will get over it :d

Ofc you will need moc3+purge2 to beat nearsight/stun stuff but thats it. Only a well played eld or cabalist can fook you up really... ofc a fire wiz 2 bolting you might hurt too :D Anyhow it comes down to who nukes first most of the time thanks to current caster dps.

in grp-warfare where it truly shines with various instant debuffs / intercept pet / fast-high LT dps / ae-mezz... shit loads of fun believe meh :)

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Bistrup666 said:
2. if U r a kobbie and have just abit cap to dex U will NOT ned dex 5 as lt caps out at 382'ish (don't remember excatly but ask some expirienced guy's as I play rm mostly)
theres no hardcap on dex afaik. Thou i would never go above 380 as i dont think its worth the points compared to what you get.

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
Wazkyr said:
theres no hardcap on dex afaik. Thou i would never go above 380 as i dont think its worth the points compared to what you get.

it's not the dex it's the casttime on nuke ;)

illu

Part of the furniture
Added a bit more Dex into my suit with a couple of items and still having fun on the SM (when instaport is up).
Looking forward to purge 3 for all the bloody hib stunning f*ckers that is literally all they do - super easy mode, stun nuke nuke nuke dead.
And then looking forward to moc3 to just have zapping wars with other casters!
Thing is I'll need some stupid amount of RP to get these lovely things. Ah well :> Maybe one day :)

Looking at somemore RAs, if my Lifetap is at 47 - is it worth getting MoF1? this raises it to 50 - so less resistances?

Oli - Illu

PS Also I hit an Alb Tank today where I was getting 74 damage on him and his magic shielding was eating up 200+ damage on each zap - what was that?! I suppose I should have tried to root and run away, but I was caught in Lifetap Headlamp syndrome, I couldn't move and watched the tank come bash me :> Slam, hit hit dead :>

adoNix

Can't get enough of FH
illu said:
PS Also I hit an Alb Tank today where I was getting 74 damage on him and his magic shielding was eating up 200+ damage on each zap
heretic rr5 maybe? =o

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:
I was caught in Lifetap Headlamp syndrome

hehe :)

yes caster takes a while, i had an rr6+ wiz from way back but i still had to re-learn, adapt and actually think with the cabby :p

i found sm disappointing on glasto due to poor range ability and rly quite shit dmg (compared to cabby) but got a couple sm specific tips:

- if u get jumped by a stealther/melee'r use the pbmezz - they cant run thru it
- use the double dex debuffs, early and often, they're powerful mojo vs casters but will break mezz on PETS, not players (its a bug)

and always remember the 3 P's!

Position
Pre-kite
Position

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
can't see that anybody else have wrote it so here's my addition to this thread. respec to 47dark rest supp. the summoning line will give you next to nothing when it comes to RvR. the suppression line on the other hand is a must have, at least if you're playing in a group. then you need the lowlvl (green con i think) PBAoE for clearing lowlvl pets (lite BoZ-pets, clusters of lowlvl mobs and clusters of druidpets).

and i don't think that the suppression single target mez is a baseline either so that's another thing you'll gain. then you will have access to two different dmg types on your mez:es, cold and spirit. and if i'm not mistaken they don't share a immunity timer. so in theory you could use the PBAoE-mez (cold) if you get jumped, run off and start nuke:ing and then single target mez (spirit) if your opponent get's to close and run off again.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
pjuppe said:
and i don't think that the suppression single target mez is a baseline either so that's another thing you'll gain. then you will have access to two different dmg types on your mez:es, cold and spirit. and if i'm not mistaken they don't share a immunity timer. so in theory you could use the PBAoE-mez (cold) if you get jumped, run off and start nuke:ing and then single target mez (spirit) if your opponent get's to close and run off again.
all mess is on same timer, dosnt matter what "dmg" the me mess is, same for caster stuns, roots ect. Only thing you can do twice is stun, with melee stun, then caster stun as far as i remember it.

illu

Part of the furniture
Konah said:
hehe :)

yes caster takes a while, i had an rr6+ wiz from way back but i still had to re-learn, adapt and actually think with the cabby :p

i found sm disappointing on glasto due to poor range ability and rly quite shit dmg (compared to cabby) but got a couple sm specific tips:

- if u get jumped by a stealther/melee'r use the pbmezz - they cant run thru it
- use the double dex debuffs, early and often, they're powerful mojo vs casters but will break mezz on PETS, not players (its a bug)

and always remember the 3 P's!

Position
Pre-kite
Position

Taken on board :> Thanks again to everyone in this thread.

Oli - Illu

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
If you play in grp remember your range is shit so before you start dealing damage to other grp, kill their pets, will win alot of the fight. And play carefully, the intercept isnt as reliable as it used to be and other casters almost always have an advantage over you (not considering moc) with better range.

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Wazkyr said:
all mess is on same timer, dosnt matter what "dmg" the me mess is, same for caster stuns, roots ect. Only thing you can do twice is stun, with melee stun, then caster stun as far as i remember it.

oh, didn't know. haven't tried it myself, it's just what a suppSM told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom