SM dmg

Imon

Fledgling Freddie
Hello!

I have a question about the sm dmg. I play dark sm 47 dark spec and i'm happy with it. I'm just a casual player and I have been away for a few years so my template is far from good. I hit ppl for around 250-450 per hit with my lifetap nuke and never thought much about it since i dont have anything fluffy on my sm. I am very often hit for extremly more dmg from other casters and not rarely i'm hit for 800+ dmg but i never saw that as strange.

Now I have played on camlann a bit, made another dark sm and doing well, got myself to lvl 41 and then i ran into 2 lvl 50 dark sms, they attacked me and hitted me, lvl 41 for 435 and 510!?
I was like wtf, they hitted a lvl 41 for less then my lvl 50 is hit for?
Are dark sms damg that low or were they just crappy?

I know Sms gets lots of other nice things to play with like the intercepting pet and so on but are these the normal dmg or?

illu

Part of the furniture
I think Albs and Hibs use different damage types of spells.
I think SM spells are cold damage, maybe you have ok cold resistances.
I know Albs I run across seem to be opted as mad caster killers, super fast at casting and extremely high damage.
I also get hit for 800+, but I am thinking it is because they are high RR, they will be critting loads of times (high WP?), so maybe 500-600+100-200 crit? And obviously on a different damage table.

Oli - Illu

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Well...theres AoD...

Most likely its a matter of you confusing classes, templates and rrs and therefore getting the wrong impression.

First of all it makes a HUGE difference in damage if you are running (or your opponen) with 45-50 resists (that means castable resists from bots or groupmembers) (You can probably remove 100-200 damage per nuke thanks to the extra resists you get from the castable ones. If you arent running with a group atleast use CL resists)

Then you have your own resists in template, thats about 100-200 damage also unless you cap them.

After that the dps on your spells are very very important.
Darksm, Cabalist and Sorc have about the same dps (179-183) spells because they use Drain life as a spell. (that means you get back hp as you well know, therefor you have lower damage output, usually caps out at about 650 give or take)

DarkRM, Firewiz, Eldrich and Banshee do alot more damage with their spells (219-223) because they have damage and no life gaining. These spells will cap around 800-900 damage and get the occational crit with even higher damage.

Enchanter, Mentalist, RC runies, Suppsm and IceWizes rely on their baseline nukes for damage that do about the same damage as your drain but dont give life. The difference is that it usually isnt specced meaning that it also has alot higher random on the damage meaning you will hit for alot less.

These classes usually (not all of them) have a debuff spell for their damage, meaning that they can remove up to 50 % of the resists you get from castables and template and when that happen they hit like trucks (add the damage mentioned above)

Also the targets you nuke on are important, Some tanks (the heavy shield tanks in each realm) nowdays have a very high resistance to spells, and if they are inside a ram they get even more protection. Heretics have rr5 ability that can increase his entire groups resistance to rediculous amounts etc.

And the last but not least important, template and RRs. Your template benifits nicly from having 10% spell piercing and 8+% spell damage as well as high piety for extra damage and high dex for high casting speed.

RRs make up the probably biggest portion of your difference in damage except for dps. When speccing your char for rvr as a caster it is important that you get Wild Power and Mastery of Magery up fast. MoM3 as fast as possible (increases your base damage) and after that WP4-5 as fast as possible (increases the amount of criticals you get, which make up alot of the damage you deal).

A firewizard is a good example of this, its not until he gets up to wp4 and mom4 that his spec firebolt start dealing the insane damages of 1100-1900 on heavy crits.

So make sure you have:
A template with:
8%+ spell damage
10% spell percing
10% castingspeed
+11 to your damage spell line skill
101 in dexterity (thats 26 dexcap)
101 in piety (thats 26 piety cap)
All resists at atleast 20+ (except for 2 of them: Usually matter + spirit or matter + enerty) (You have to choose 2 that is not capped to get the rest you want in your template in:)

And make sure you have atleast these RealmAbilities:
MoM 3+
WP 3+
Augdex 3+
Augpie (well when you can afford it and value it: 1-5) (I like purge/moc more but alot of highrr group playing casters argue that its pointless if your support does its job)

Well thats about it for damage!:)
with wp4 mom3 and a good template you will be hitting for about 500-650 on standard targets.

Hope there was some useful info!:)

/Charmangle

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Nothing better than targetting that rr2 kobold in rogs, pressing the nuke button twice an just watch him eat dirt! :D

Gotta love the new wizard fire nuke! :flame:

Edit: Soz to go off-topic, but yeah, WP4 ftw!

islef

Loyal Freddie
Gonna slip in a wee question for the guys and gals with a good memory or just people who know anything about this:
Can anyone find the thread that had a link to the table to max your dmg from the rsp available.

OR: Should i go for: wp5, mom5 or aug dex5.. currently have mom4, wp4, aug dex4 and aug acui2...

Currently playing a dark carver btw, so would like some info about if aug dex 5 would even affect my casttime on spells since they are faster than a dark specced rm.. current dex is 393, would be 407 with aug dex5.

/isle.

Imon

Fledgling Freddie
Very nice post charmangle:)
Thx for the info:)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Imon said:
Are dark sms damg that low or were they just crappy?

I get nuked for much more than that by high RR dark SM's on cluster..

I'm guessing given it was camlann that they just wern't in the best gear.

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
charmangle said:
Most likely its a matter of you confusing classes, templates and rrs and therefore getting the wrong impression.

First of all it makes a HUGE difference in damage if you are running (or your opponen) with 45-50 resists (that means castable resists from bots or groupmembers) (You can probably remove 100-200 damage per nuke thanks to the extra resists you get from the castable ones. If you arent running with a group atleast use CL resists)

Then you have your own resists in template, thats about 100-200 damage also unless you cap them.

After that the dps on your spells are very very important.
Darksm, Cabalist and Sorc have about the same dps (179-183) spells because they use Drain life as a spell. (that means you get back hp as you well know, therefor you have lower damage output, usually caps out at about 650 give or take)

DarkRM, Firewiz, Eldrich and Banshee do alot more damage with their spells (219-223) because they have damage and no life gaining. These spells will cap around 800-900 damage and get the occational crit with even higher damage.

Enchanter, Mentalist, RC runies, Suppsm and IceWizes rely on their baseline nukes for damage that do about the same damage as your drain but dont give life. The difference is that it usually isnt specced meaning that it also has alot higher random on the damage meaning you will hit for alot less.

These classes usually (not all of them) have a debuff spell for their damage, meaning that they can remove up to 50 % of the resists you get from castables and template and when that happen they hit like trucks (add the damage mentioned above)

Also the targets you nuke on are important, Some tanks (the heavy shield tanks in each realm) nowdays have a very high resistance to spells, and if they are inside a ram they get even more protection. Heretics have rr5 ability that can increase his entire groups resistance to rediculous amounts etc.

And the last but not least important, template and RRs. Your template benifits nicly from having 10% spell piercing and 8+% spell damage as well as high piety for extra damage and high dex for high casting speed.

RRs make up the probably biggest portion of your difference in damage except for dps. When speccing your char for rvr as a caster it is important that you get Wild Power and Mastery of Magery up fast. MoM3 as fast as possible (increases your base damage) and after that WP4-5 as fast as possible (increases the amount of criticals you get, which make up alot of the damage you deal).

A firewizard is a good example of this, its not until he gets up to wp4 and mom4 that his spec firebolt start dealing the insane damages of 1100-1900 on heavy crits.

So make sure you have:
A template with:
8%+ spell damage
10% spell percing
10% castingspeed
All resists at atleast 20+ (except for 2 of them: Usually matter + spirit or matter + enerty) (You have to choose 2 that is not capped to get the rest you want in your template in

And make sure you have atleast these RealmAbilities:
MoM 3+
WP 3+
Augdex 3+
Augpie (well when you can afford it and value it: 1-5) (I like purge/moc more but alot of highrr group playing casters argue that its pointless if your support does its job)

Well thats about it for damage!:)
with wp4 mom3 and a good template you will be hitting for about 500-650 on standard targets.

Hope there was some useful info!:)

/Charmangle

Good info there char :)

Tho eld spec nuke is 209 no :drink:

With the new wiz nuke they have a build debuff in their specnuke so no need for debuffer to hit like a truck, oh and they have spec bolt and spec nukes in same line so

noblok

Part of the furniture

Ljuvasara

Fledgling Freddie
How common are buffs on Camlann, maybe you were used to be nuked by buffed casters and the ones you ran into on Camlann were unbuffed?

-Hayfever-

Fledgling Freddie
CorNokZ said:
Nothing better than targetting that rr2 kobold in rogs, pressing the nuke button twice an just watch him eat dirt! :D

Gotta love the new wizard fire nuke! :flame:

Edit: Soz to go off-topic, but yeah, WP4 ftw!

Carefull what your saying!..That..might..be me... :)

Thats probably why people choose RMs to get insane high damage when they are high RR and not SMs

illu

Part of the furniture
What exactly does aug acuity do? I'm 3L8 on my liddul SM at the moment, I have 4 spare points and have dex2 lw1 mom2 wp3 purge1 so far.
What to go for next?
Some people have said aug acuity - but I never run out of power (I either die :> or I just pop tart or jacina).
Another SM I talked to started with MoC3 and then went on from there.
I feel like I have the basics covered, my dex is at about 370, is there any point getting more? I feel like I cast fast enough! I heard after 380-385 that it wasn't worth it?
I run mostly solo but in the occasional group.
Is MoC1 even worth getting? Or better something else until you have the points for Moc2+?

Any advice appreciated :>

Oli - Illu

PS You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to charmangle again. :(

-Hayfever-

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:
What exactly does aug acuity do? I'm 3L8 on my liddul SM at the moment, I have 4 spare points and have dex2 lw1 mom2 wp3 purge1 so far.
What to go for next?
Some people have said aug acuity - but I never run out of power (I either die :> or I just pop tart or jacina).
I feel like I have the basics covered, my dex is at about 370, is there any point getting more? I feel like I cast fast enough! I heard after 380-385 that it wasn't worth it?
Is MoC1 even worth getting? Or better something else until you have the points for Moc2+?

Oli - Illu

PS You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to charmangle again. :(

I have 380 dex and it makes a difference imo. :)

joap

Fledgling Freddie
charmangle said:
So make sure you have:
A template with:
8%+ spell damage
10% spell percing
10% castingspeed
All resists at atleast 20+ (except for 2 of them: Usually matter + spirit or matter + enerty) (You have to choose 2 that is not capped to get the rest you want in your template in:)

/Charmangle

In the case of dark SMs,the 11 to the damage spell line is usefull? I mean, a dark SM will be using the spec LT so the +dark will not help, will it?

Ahtlehson

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:
What to go for next?

Huh? You never run out of power? Augmented Acuity is for more DAMAGE. Not power. :fluffle:

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Aug Acuity affects dmg cap and power pool.

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
illu said:
What to go for next?

Oli - Illu

AA does 2 things for U

1: it gives U more power
2: makes U hit closer to cap ea. raise your damage.

It does however not raise damage cap!!!

As U prolly never hit for capped damage (unless grp'ed with a darkcarver) AA is nice. :drink:

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
joap said:
In the case of dark SMs,the 11 to the damage spell line is usefull? I mean, a dark SM will be using the spec LT so the +dark will not help, will it?

In short, yes it will...
+ in a spec line will also help with the damage on the spec spell above 50.
So you should always have +11 in your main damage line weather you are just using the baseline or the spec line spell.

illu said:
What exactly does aug acuity do?
Well it help with 2 things, spell damage and powerpool. The spell damage cap is a hardcap so cant be increased but you usually dont reach it without hitting on crap resists + mom5 (or getting a nice debuff) so it helps. But the question is how much it helps, well to give you an example: Aug piety 3 will hit for 8 more than MoM 2 (but cost 6 more RsPs). Meaning that you gain more by getting MoM 3.

illu said:
I'm 3L8 on my liddul SM at the moment, I have 4 spare points and have dex2 lw1 mom2 wp3 purge1 so far.
What to go for next?
Well 3L8 spec for me on a dark sm would be: Augdex 3 (lowest dex you want is 380+ (you will have 381 with 10 in starting as a kobbie with that), MoM 3, WP 2, AugPiety 2, (and switch to wp 3/4 as soon as possible) if you are running in groups.
Augdex 3, MoM 3, Purge 1, WP 1 (and keep getting wp up to 4) if you run small group, pugs/zergs. (Its nice with aleast somekind of purge when you solo in zergs even though its crap (btw dont forget to use CB messblock charge, it helps vs stealther ae poison and to win mess duels)):
Augdex 2, MoM 2, Moc 2, Purge 1 if you run entirely solo and mostly fight stealthers. (moc 2 will win a fight vs a stealther if you survive the PA/backstab (remember to always move around and never stand still, it will make it alot harder for them to plant it, but you are a stealther so you know the drill!:), and the purge is nice when getting hit by AE messes in zerg/siege.

But the first spec is the one I consider the correct one even though it takes abit of getting use to, to get working. (its abit hard to learn to play caster without moc and purge)

illu said:

Oli - Illu

Well augpie really isnt anything to consider before you reach decent RR and feel you have the other most important RAs. MoC and Purge are mainly a matter of how and what you face. MoC shouldnt be needed for you as a fg member (with the right spec you will start to 2-3 shot casters and that will make it hard for them to get you into their interrupt trap, and dont forget to use QC and CC when needed). Most high RR casters that play fg will tell you that Purge is just a waste of RsPs...since your support is suppoed to CM you fast. But for solo play its more a matter of what you like. I find it hard not to have purge at all in zerg/siege...

illu said:
;)

/Charmangle

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
1. you prolly had no resists
2. My SM can hit 1000 with a crit

Sooooo :):touch:

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
charmangle said:
(you will have 381 with 10 in starting as a kobbie with that

I meant 15 in starting dex ofc!:)
On a frostalv you will have considerably lower dex so you will have to have augdex 4 unfortunatly...(But you gain additional damage from your hightened piety so you might go mom2 instead)

/Charmangle

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom