So.. Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

• Shrouded Isles

Votes: 300 49.9%
  • Trials of Atlantis

Votes: 120 20.0%
  • Catacombs

Votes: 90 15.0%
  • Darkness Rising

Votes: 91 15.1%

• Total voters

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
Going back to the Original question

I once saw a Bungalow, with a 3 storey expansion added to it - looked totally wrong imo.

OH...:confused:

>.< Pooned

Fledgling Freddie
ToA since its my first box :)

else it could be SI
ToA - OF
no other expansion

Donno about you guys but i'd be happy to play daoc at a freeshard/official server with good ol' SI ( and beloning patches ) instead of what we have now.

The game imo was as whole alot better. Better gfx and more toys don't make up for the lack of balance, content and overall feeling.

;)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I voted TOA. Although some of the new stuff it brought was a problem in RvR, and some of the ML steps had planning issues (4.2 being a prime example) it was an awesome expansion overall. Look at the Phoenix platform with the generators and statues and stuff tell me that's not one of the most amazing bits of design you've seen in a game. So much new stuff to do, new places to go and new things to get...everything a proper expansion should bring to a game.

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Donno about you guys but i'd be happy to play daoc at a freeshard/official server with good ol' SI ( and beloning patches ) instead of what we have now.

The game imo was as whole alot better. Better gfx and more toys don't make up for the lack of balance, content and overall feeling.

;)

Balance like 15 min purge an 9s Dragon Fang?
Healer ASD interupt of doom?
Savages going blam blam you die?
Zerks and SBs with old LA?
BoF? BAoD?

Aye, the old days were really balanced.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Ethild said:
BoF? BAoD?

Don't miss GROUP PURGE and REDB :)

Cybwyn

Fledgling Freddie
I'd have to say that SI was my favourite expansion because the game was pretty new and fresh to me back then and SI added new and exciting areas to explore and level (think I was about L40 at the time SI was released).

The main reasons it's my favourite expansion are linked purely to nostalgia though. It was a time when my guild was at its most active (about 20-30 people online every night) and there were always people to group with and explore the new areas with.

Call me a masochist but I also enjoyed the raids to Caer Sidi which lasted for hours on end (5+ hours in some cases); not only for the chance to get my hands on an 'uber' drop but also because of the camaraderie (for want of a better word) between the 80+ people on the raid.

I also remember SI fondly becasue I hit L50 with my first character a couple of months after its release and took my first steps into RVR around that time.

I've enjoyed all of the expansions in some way or other but none as much as SI.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Ethild said:
BoF? BAoD?

Assasins with IP? :p

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Pirkel said:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

And I wish they would leave it the way it is rather then making it easymode in 1.81 but ah well

Agreed

Vonwar

One of Freddy's beloved
Belief_! said:
ToA

without it the game wouldn't have progressed, although it would have been nicer in its current form at its release

I agree.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Its always interesting looking back at old posts like this a couple of patches down the line and how people can rethink things. Perhaps the polls about having the classic servers should now be redone too, as I see its population is now coming down to Excals level, I think the novelty wore off and another lemon server is born.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Shrouded Isles for sure, as it's been the only expansion I enjoyed so far, and it brought a bit of everything; xp areas suitable for level 1 players all the way through to level 50, aswell as classes/races and stuff, while later expansions mainly focused on (fucking over) certain areas of the game.

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
1) Catacombs - Fast levelling, interesting zones & quests.
2) SI - Didn't really hurt the game too much apart from emptying the classic zones, & introduced some interesting stuff.
3) DR - Mostly Harmless. Why did we have to pay for this minor patch again?
4) ToA - An absolute unmitigated disaster - still! There's still so much crap in there which nees to be fixed or removed after all this time & so many patches ... just unbelievably awful, not to mention the disastrous effect it had on RvR, off-peak players, casual players ... I could rant about it for hours TBH even in the state it is now.

Haazheel

Fledgling Freddie
SI for the new classes, the new zones and the quests for excellent items .. at that time, shame on the unbalance within classes and the time to do proper raids in high end dungeons
Fondations because its great to have an ingame economy and your own house, shame still on the transport besides token
ToA for the content, but time burning expansion, and sick rvr combat speed
NF for the redesign and the keeps, but too large zones and boring boats brought irvr
Catacombs for the instances, but stupid class balance as usual
Agramon island for real fg vs fg but too far, and more bridges
DR - only bad points for me, camelot is unplayable, horses doesnt bring anything, CL xp takes years to get in pve, CL quests are way too repetitive if you have multiple chars, new epic should have allowed to turn back old one instead of redoing everything, new DF/instanced are not good solo places

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Haazheel said:
SI for the new classes, the new zones and the quests for excellent items .. at that time, shame on the unbalance within classes and the time to do proper raids in high end dungeons
Fondations because its great to have an ingame economy and your own house, shame still on the transport besides token
NF for the redesign and the keeps, but too large zones and boring boats brought irvr
DR - only bad points for me, camelot is unplayable, horses doesnt bring anything, CL xp takes years to get in pve, CL quests are way too repetitive if you have multiple chars, new epic should have allowed to turn back old one instead of redoing everything, new DF/instanced are not good solo places

Agreed

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Every expansion was great. They were aimed at the game in the situation it was at when it was released - Even TOA.

SI was great when it was released, but if it was released now people would whine it was too big, and that adding a high level dungeon that takes multiple groups to do was too much. :)

Memory makes things appear better than they are, imho.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Urgluf said:
how can SI be the best expansion?

mids get savage and bonedancer? both classes have ruined and are ruining rvr as we speak!

hib gets animist which have made pve so easy and made keep defending simply stupid

alb get reaver which is balanced with other tanks and a useless pve bot

best expansion was DF patch and if that doesnt count.. id say TOA.. much more abilities which everyone can use but also alot of unbalance :(
its only with toa that animist got used, before that there were under 1 active in rvr -.-

svg's were stupidly overpowered and bd's were strong solo, but bd's are now good in grps and svg's are not wanted in grps anymore...

necro made alb pve easy as fuck when they changed absorb. reaver had its time with bombing, though only briefly, mythic learned from their mistakes - if reavers were strong before savages they would have stayed the same for as long as savages -.-...

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
old thread but.. looks like SI definetely is the best one in the eyes of the people that voted, I expected it aswell. TOA is liked among some hardcore PVEfans but the mass prefer it to be alil simplified as it was in SI.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Shike said:
old thread but.. looks like SI definetely is the best one in the eyes of the people that voted, I expected it aswell. TOA is liked among some hardcore PVEfans but the mass prefer it to be alil simplified as it was in SI.
If that was true, Glastonbury would still be packed, not flagging as it is now surely?

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
Haazheel said:

Agree on most things, but not DR:

I dont know what you are playing.. but is it a class with speed.. horses is a salvation for classes that dont have speed of there own.

If you play in groups mainly, as I do, CL spells is of second use to about everything but great thing for soloers.. How ever, let the CL xp tick in in its own pase, just go RvR and befor you notice your close.. *ding* CL lvl.

I do agree on the epic part, cant understand why they didnt do like you said from the start, you can do it with champ weaps and arti weaps if you respec the line you are useing them in, right?

The instances was prolly never made for xping in, how ever, Brimstone is nice for cash farming (but is a pain for pet users as the pathing is prolly the most useless here then anywhere else in the game)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
voted SI, purely becuase my old PC could run it well, unlike ToA. Content-wise one of the best things in SI was seeing that fuck off shroom or the waterfall in Balor (i think) Or the uber xp outside Tur Suil. (or anywhere for that matter). Sitting in Aalid Feia with guildies waiting for an xp grp to come along etc. Like it very much indeed. I enjoyed ToA when i could finally run it, it comes a close second. But i didnt like Catacombs - just feel it didnt really offer much. Graphics were a welcome change, but it just felt like a completely different game to me, but now DR is out im used to it, and enjoy that, TNN looks awesome, and instanced dungeons were welcome.

Icebreaker

Fledgling Freddie
For me its:

1. SI

+ Nice and huge Landscape
+ Good Dungeons
+ Good Backroundstory
+ Nice Items (At the time it came out)
- fucked up/overpowered Classes (At the time it came out)

2. DR

+ Really nice instanced Zones
+ Nice Backroundstory
+ Horses
+ Champion Weapons
- Would have loved more improvements to the Old Zones

3. Catacombs

+ New Char Models
+ Faster XP
- Zones arent that good
- Classes

4. ToA

+ New GFX
- ML's
- Artis
- Landscape and the backroundstory doesnt really fit into Daoc
- Time you have to put into this to be effective in RvR (still)

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
Imo DAOC doesnt need more then Shrouded with DF and Alchemy/Spellcrafting.

Why make the game so comlex with the later expansions? its only more PvE, more rl gold to pay for the expansions, and harder to get a template done. Most ppl focus on RvR so no need for more expansions adter SI, besides that it was the best time for crafters to.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
old.Whoodoo said:
If that was true, Glastonbury would still be packed, not flagging as it is now surely?

Well not really, classic has its massive flaws as it is today, or I would also play there, I lvld my warrior to 50 and played for abit and decided it sucked since the RAsystem is the same and also NF. True classic would beat anything in todays DAoC though for me, you forget that classic require a full reroll where you loose alot of your friends you played with for a long time aswell. You have to remember that TOA today is 100 times easier to cope with than how it was when it came, TOA alone caused tons of people to just quit, some of them has come back with the easier TOA but most are just gone.

SI when it came had its effects, most things was good, some things was totally whack ofc but TOA had the most effect on DAoC of all expansions so far, I believe the poll's result is quite clear in how it was percieved when it came out. You cant ignore the poll and say something about Glaston since it has nothing to do with the polls result at all.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Think alot of people are thinking more of the general atmosphere of the game (at the time) when voteing for SI over the others and not the actuall content.

Looking back on it now SI was a pretty poor expansion 2 worthless dungeon (ie items that were worse than Crafted items) and 1 epic one on a low respawn timer (12 hours).. and a 2 or 3 worth while quests... and thats it. Oh plus some vast spaces of land with no real transport links and no real reason to go there (drops encounters etc) and only one class that was excepted into RvR groups (at the time orc ¬¬!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom