So.. Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

Which in your opinion is the best expansion so far?

• Shrouded Isles

Votes: 300 49.9%
  • Trials of Atlantis

Votes: 120 20.0%
  • Catacombs

Votes: 90 15.0%
  • Darkness Rising

Votes: 91 15.1%

• Total voters

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Just wondering what you guys think, and why?

Personally I believe Shrouded Isles is the best bought expansion so far, motivated with this:

Balanced, rich contentwise and overall appealing for exploring type of players, there was also nice zones for the hardcorePVEpeople aswell with the high dungeons. Savages was out of control but Mythic sorted that out eventually.

I've played DR now for some time and I really like it, alot, but, I feel it doesnt add in so much to compete with what SI brought along in that phase in the game. A large, correction, huge bonus in DR is the fact that it is pretty balanced overall, I cant say I have seen any major issues at all which is a large step for Mythic, seeing and comparing with what Catacombs brought in and not to mention how much problems there actually have been with Trials of Atlantis both bugwise and balancewise.

In 1.81 a ton of stuff in TOA have finally gotten better but it took 2 years, which imo is far too long time, especially since alot of people quit the game after TOA came out.

Allinall I'd rank the expansions like this pre 1.81.

1. Shrouded Isles
2. Darkness Rising
3. Catacombs
4. Trials of Atlantis

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Catacombs without a doubt due to the ease of leveling

Then DR :) loving it so far

Belief_!

Banned
ToA

without it the game wouldn't have progressed, although it would have been nicer in its current form at its release

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Belief_! said:
ToA

without it the game wouldn't have progressed, although it would have been nicer in its current form at its release

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And I wish they would leave it the way it is rather then making it easymode in 1.81 but ah well

BaTDiE

One of Freddy's beloved
SI was a great expansion, new PvE experiences ( raids, new lands for each realm) and it came with alchemy/spellcraft in a new patch, it helped alot finishing your template...
Mythic ruined its game with ToA for most of the people, numbers don't lie.
Catacombs it's fine if you don't like PvE that much and you want to do pvp as soon as possible.
Darkness Rising shows us that Mythic lacks of ideas but looks good overall.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Shrouded Isles wins easily for me, with Darkness Rising in second place.

Although ToA had lots of good content and plenty to do, it was too much at once. Catacombs did add some nice stuff, but the overpowered classes still annoy people.

Just hope Mythic can come up with something good for the next expansion! :p

remi

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
Just wondering what you guys think, and why?

Personally I believe Shrouded Isles is the best bought expansion so far, motivated with this:

Balanced, rich contentwise and overall appealing for exploring type of players, there was also nice zones for the hardcorePVEpeople aswell with the high dungeons. Savages was out of control but Mythic sorted that out eventually.

haha, savages and bonedancers le balance!

havnt voted yet but Catacombs gave me nothing, didnt buy it till i played classic. DR , why pay for so little? should be a free expansion. ToA was huge, alll good abilities except a few ones that made to big impact (grapple etc tt). SI was fun i guess.

1. SI
2. ToA
3. DR
4. Cata

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Darkness falls was the best ever, was free and very good when it came :D

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Givf "Deletion of Cata classes" expantion ^^

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Cata has been the best exspansion.
SI with 2 shooting savages was game breaking.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
ToA for me - loved the new and varied encounters and gave you so much to do. Hate the way they chipped away at it ever since.

DR is ok but there's actually too little content for a proper expansion - compared with SI, Catacombs and ToA for which we paid almost the same price.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
ToA for me, the biggest push forward in the game so far.

SI good, but only for a few decent quest items.

Cata was useless, pure bling gfx engine (didnt need it tbh, added to lag factor)

DR - everything in this should have been free anyway, horses and more bling only dragged the game up to todays mmo standard, nothing new, move on. I bought it for horses, transport is an issue that should have been sorted long ago.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
Ogen said:
Givf "Deletion of Cata classes" expantion ^^

Warlock:
You target ....
You begin to cast ...
Spell blocked! Player has Anti-Catacombs expension enabled!

Vonwar

One of Freddy's beloved
Belief_! said:
ToA

100% agree

Vonwar

Chronictank

FH is my second home
old.Whoodoo said:

Cata was useless, pure bling gfx engine (didnt need it tbh, added to lag factor)

DR - everything in this should have been free anyway, horses and more bling only dragged the game up to todays mmo standard, nothing new, move on. I bought it for horses, transport is an issue that should have been sorted long ago.
/agree
just like to add the Cata gfx engine should have been better developed (de ja vu), and at the standard of the more smooth DR one.

All DR gives is Champ weapons, Champ levels and some fluff, nothing else.
DR client - free to download so dr expansion so your not paying for the gfx engine
Mounts - You get one anyway
New epics - You get that anyway
Updated Zones - You get that anyway
New items -You get them anyway

so in reality DR gives near nothing

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
old.Whoodoo said:

Can`t put it any better myself tbh.:worthy:

ElemenT

One of Freddy's beloved
Shrouded Isles is the only one I've played, so SI all the way! :D

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Dont realy see why people think SI was a good expansion. Came in with SC but since you could craft and SC equipment 80% of the drops that came in were pointless. So the only realy usefull quest was the high level bracer quest (Necky quest came for two realms in a later patch). Three High level dungeon's 1 with good drops but horrible respawn timer and two others with poor item drops. Then a massive landscape with terrible transport links and not a great deal to do there.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
so in reality DR gives near nothing

It doesnt give quite as much content as previous expansions but it is on the other hand cheaper, alot more balanced, and less overwhealming. I wouldnt say it gives near nothing though. You need DR to use the subclassing, which is nifty on cluster and very usefull for many classes on classic. Same with Champ weapons. The advanced mounts can go into the frontiers, are faster (and can carry more i think?) and look cooler (some of us enjoy fluff). The Champ quests are enjoyable and the best ive seen so far in the way of questing (the instances help alot to make them memorable).

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
catacombs.... new gfx, easyer lvling, insta dungeons... aurulite armor and so on.

only thing i dont like are the new classes.

Second best is SI

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
how can SI be the best expansion?

mids get savage and bonedancer? both classes have ruined and are ruining rvr as we speak!

hib gets animist which have made pve so easy and made keep defending simply stupid

alb get reaver which is balanced with other tanks and a useless pve bot

best expansion was DF patch and if that doesnt count.. id say TOA.. much more abilities which everyone can use but also alot of unbalance :(

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
starting from below:
#4 ToA
I do like toa, or lets say I force myself like it, afterall its not as bad as most ppl say ... One of the main problems was mythics misconception making the pve part mostly zergplay resulting in hours of stupid stickage that needed to be done with every char...
Another problem was the influence it had on the char development giving each char a huge bonus to effectivness and at the same time losing overview about any balance they had before
Someone said the game wouldn't have progressed without ToA and i don't think thats true, i think they had a lot of good ideas in toa but instead of thinking them through bringing them slowly one by one with care for the game and its community the game wouldn't have lost so many subscribers to fast food games like wow
#3 Catacombs
Catacombs finally cleaned up the levelprocess to 50 giving an alternative to level new chars... Imho its quite a good addon with one exception: the new classes each of them utterly overpowered, again some great ideas(i love the idea of a spellweaving class) totally fucked up
#2 DR
I've not seen that much of DR yet, the gfx update is quite nice, and it might be true that u get most of the stuff for free without buying, but overall its a nice piece added to the game with the necessary caution
#1 SI
Nostalgia... SI gave the jewelry for SC obtainable due quite well done (for that time) quests creating an equal caped rvr that unlike today was way more solid and manageable... I don't like the thousands of abilities that are fired in todays fg rvr, i think its too much and to come back to SI fucked up the foundation it had created
Another thing SI did was introducing worthwhile dungeons
As with catacombs this biggest downside were the classes introduced but at least they spent some time balancing it afterwards (even if they forgot the bonedancer), something yet to come with catacombs

Ozilia

Fledgling Freddie
1. Shrouded Isles. (Very big expansion, a few unbalanced classes but other then that all good.)
2. Catacombs. (Time to lvl 1-50 cut in half, unbalanced classes again though :( )
3. Trials of Atlantis. (Yes i quit because of it, but like some have mentioned I really think it was a good expansion, just not tested enough. If it wouldn't have been very unbalanced or riddled with hundreds of bugs, i don't think so many would have left.)
4. DR, like you say, to small to be an expansion, should just have been an update.

A

Aoln

SI due to nostalgia, remember the game being so much fun :)
It made xp faster aswell with all lvl40+ moving from lyonesse to avalon city in alb, also high end pve was actually alright with sidi, raids could be fairly fun and actually worthwhile as i could get a top of the range rare item that not every schmuck would have. New zones etc were welcome too since it was the first expansion. Alts could be easily rolled and rvr ready reasonably fast. obviously it had bad points like bds ;D
From there it went downhill, TOA added far too much necessary pve and then the continuous adding of zones and useless shit with other expansions is pretty annoying. horses and tds are welcome i guess, everything else i'd rather leave ;(

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
well the problem with DR is that is seems like its nearly no content coz toa brought such a shitload ... Subclassic is quite ok, but with bbs and stickbots that common its not that much of a deal ...

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
MesS° said:
Cata has been the best exspansion.
SI with 2 shooting savages was game breaking.
ye cause pre "nerf" WL's was balanced.

id say ToA was the best expansion so far. new cool zones. and artis and mls was lots of fun. tho i want free ml's and easy artis now.

SI wasent that good expansion wise but w/o it most ppl would probebly have quit due to crap pve.
but then again item farming was more fun before DF merchants :(

pve nerfs time wise are allways nice but nothing beats the feeling when the first ellyll sword droped after almost 2weeks of daily farming.

ps. not saying any expansion aint good tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom